Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  February 17, 2015 12:00pm-1:01pm PST

12:00 pm
there. lot of lives have clearly been lost. there's been video of various ukrainian prisoners of war being paraded. it's a very messy situation. it's certainly not a ceasefire. the un security council are meeting any minute now to try to discuss this crisis and we're really looking i think at what is this situation? it's not a ceasefire. >> agreeing to disagree on something that hasn't even happened. excellent reporting as you watch and wait to see what happens. now we continue on to the top of the next hour here we're getting a report from this french newspaper reporting these attacks were indeed coordinated. sources say one of the brothers behind the massacre at charlie hebdo offices was in communication with the gunman
12:01 pm
who took over, took the hostages took lives sources say attacks went to one of the 13 cell phones used by coulibaly. he shot and killed four jewish people inside the grocery begin with when was this text exchange between these two men? >> when you talk about the word coordinated it was coordinated by the two men that agreed to carry out the attack at the same time. the text you're talking about is the first physical evidence that they were in touch an hour before they attacked that magazine charlie hebdo and massacred those people. now he sent the text to coulibaly. 13 phones he was using to
12:02 pm
communicate with the brothers and with others. the text was sent to that phone and it appeared also that the two friends met sometime between midnight and 1:00 the morning before the attack. so what they discussed unclear right now but an investigator is telling the newspaper they were in communication just an hour before the attack and it appears that the older brother had some sort of a stomach flu and may have even been consideration that the attack would be delayed before a later time. >> do we have any idea where these multiple 13 phones would have come from. the one phone that was specifically assigned to him for this text exchange with the brothers they having to digging on that. >> there's no question about that. that is what is clear. these two men had a plan. they had put everything in place to execute that plan so even though we heard al qaeda in the rab juan peninsula claim credit for the attack on the magazine
12:03 pm
coulibaly was working on behalf of isis. the friends were the ones bringing the two groups together as opposed to communicating with each other at higher levels. >> and there were concerns that because of the stomach flu that the massacre at the magazine might not have happened. >> you have to wonder if they decided to go ahead because the momentum was such that it made more sense to keep going regardless of how the older brother was feeling just to make sure that they didn't delay or that they didn't chicken out and decide not to do it. so all of that under investigation. >> unfortunately they didn't. deborah, thank you very much for that. right now, nations across north africa they are scrambling as a frightening realization is taking hold. isis is gaining territory much faster than anyone anticipated
12:04 pm
here. now in the cross hairs, libya, failed state, fertile ground for isis to extend it's reach and now we're seeing proof of those gains. isis moving from the hill of syria and iraq to this beach on the mediterranean coastline savagely killing these 21 egyptian christians. just about to neil in the orange jump suit there is. this is the city on the mediterranean sea that's shaping up to be the new front line in this war. just about 200 miles from the european coast. it's a place where isis is strengthening each and every day taking over government buildings and apparently taking over a radio station. egypt, just next door egypt is hitting them back. dropping bombs on what we know now are training camps and storage facilities. joining me now is tim who is in
12:05 pm
iraq and by extending into africa here not just syria and iraq i mean are these militants taking the land on their behalf? or is it indicative of a group spreading very very quickly? >> oh this is very much a group spreading very very quickly. this would be one of the jihadists in libya. we know that perhaps as many as 300 returned to this part of libya late last year. it's thought that now isis has at least 800 men under it's command in this part of libya. what's striking about this latest video that came out, the appalling murder of these egyptians is this is not there. it's central libya. their reach has extended well beyond that pocket in eastern libya and even they have started attacking lybian army out posts in the south.
12:06 pm
libya is a country with many boarders. it's very vulnerable to this infiltration and where there's no central power isis can set up you pretty much as it wants. >> let's jump on that. in this post gadhafi area of libya without a true stable government this is the perfect vacuum for isis to take hold and they have other countries they're hoping to capitalize on that. >> definitely there are. we have seen in the past there's nothing that alabama wiethey like more than a power vacuum. and now next door to libya they're very vulnerable. they have their own jihadist movement they're trying to tackle. but you're talking about boarders that are desert hundreds and hundreds of miles long. when gatheringdhafi fell there was a sea of weaponry.
12:07 pm
quite advanced and seriously heavy duty weaponry so that is available too and some al qaeda and other associated groups already got their fair share of the weapon riry. they're worried about developments next door as are the egyptians. they had a border post attacked in the last six months and some 20 20 20 soldiers were killed. >> when we talk about isis we know this leader once was part of it. he is the leader. is he dictated the who, what when where and why or are there smaller groups within isis that are helping move?
12:08 pm
>> operationally it's very evolved but the philosophy the world vision if you like, comes from the top. he declared the three provinces to be part of isis territory. he is also declared a province in pakistan and afghanistan. he has declared a province in egypt and the group there just today distributed photographs of their fighters traveling the highways of that part of the world and giving away gifts to children. this is in a highly militarized society where the government is apparently powerless to deal with this group. very much part of isis. >> tim lister. thank you. coming up it is a hotly debated issue especially during this war against isis. should countries pay ransom for hostages? it's that issue now causing rifts between the united states
12:09 pm
and it's allies. we'll explore that. plus one of the people on al qaeda's most wanted list is about to join me live on why he refuses to into hiding. and hear why lawyers may use a self-defense argument. you just got a big bump in miles. so this is a great opportunity for an upgrade. sound good? great. because you're not you you're a whole airline... and it's not a ticket you're upgrading it's your entire operations, from domestic to international... which means you need help from a whole team of advisors. from workforce strategies to tech solutions and a thousand other things. so you call pwc. the right people to get the extraordinary done. ♪ ♪ meet the world's newest energy superpower. surprised? in fact, america is now the world's number one natural gas producer... and we could soon become number one in oil. because hydraulic fracturing technology is safely recovering lots more oil and natural gas.
12:10 pm
supporting millions of new jobs. billions in tax revenue... and a new century of american energy security. the new energy superpower? it's red, white and blue. log on to learn more. ready for another reason to switch to t-mobile. get 2 lines of unlimited 4g lte data for just $100 bucks a month. it's america's best unlimited family plan. and it's only at t-mobile.
12:11 pm
12:12 pm
12:13 pm
you're watching cnn i'm brooke baldwin. the murder of hostages at the hands of isis militants has raised an important question the united states and it's allies can't agree on. ransom. should countries pay ransom to free hostages held by
12:14 pm
terrorists. just after kayla mueller died in isis captivity president obama said the u.s. uses all the resources it can to get it's hostages released all but this one. >> the one thing that we have held to is a policy of not paying ransoms with an organization like isil and the reason is once we start doing that not only are we financing their slaughter of innocent people and strengthening their organization but we're actually making americans even greater targets for future kidnappings. >> chief national security correspondent is with me. jim we know the deal. the u.s. does not pay ransoms but when you look at some of our good good friends, germany france italy, spain, they sometimes will. how is that effecting relations? >> well there were really frank
12:15 pm
discussions. i spoke with a senior british diplomat and the u.k. is in lock step with the u.s. on this. they consider paying ransom as a form of terror financing. they consider them equivalent legally and there were frank discussions and disagreements within the allies and the u.k. state telling france you can't do that. you're actually making it worse and when you look at it we talk a lot about how much money isis makes from oil and that's been a big tart of the u.s. lead air campaign bombing their oil depots. it's estimated isis made $40 million just from ransoms alone. imagine what that group can do with $40 million and at the price per head for western hostages with groups like isis and al qaeda is up to 5 or $6 million per person. that's driven because there's a market for it. someone is willing to buy. they're willing to pay those ransoms. it's a real problem. >> but isn't isis taking people
12:16 pm
taking hostage regardless of whether the country pays or doesn't pay ransom? i go back to hearing james foleq foley's parents saying shouldn't the u.s. do anything and everything to save them? do they have a point? >> if you or i were in that situation, someone you loved. >> you'd do anything you could. >> one of my kids involved for sure. but here's the thing. by doing it -- it's true isis would take hostages no matter and so might al qaeda. the thing is money increases the value to them. so they want them more and they become dependent on it. it's not just western hostages. they are taking iraqis and syrians and al qaeda is taking pakistanis hostage and they have been doing this for years. it might be just 10 or 20 or $30,000 but it's how they survive. it's like a drug dealer. if you keep buying the drugs
12:17 pm
that's how they stay in business and it drives up the price. any of us put into that situation individually we would want to do anything. but the trouble is from a big picture perspective it makes it more likely. i spent a lot of time in iraq and afghanistan during a time when other groups like al qaeda in iraq and core al qaeda were charging ransoms and my feeling was, listen i would want to get out anyway possible but i was also angry at the countries that paid the ransoms because i felt it made it more likely i would be taken. americans are already targets but you have more of a target when you have a $10 million price tag on your head. that's the point the president and british diplomat make. they have clearly a severe disagreement with even their closest allies. >> it's so complicated but when you hear these parents talk about wanting to do anything you possibly can, you can't help but think so would i. thank you. >> thank you. >> the gunman's target in
12:18 pm
denmark might have been an artist known for depicting the profit monthhammed. he's on their most wanted list. he'll tell me why he refuses to hide. >> also the man accused of killing sniper chris kyle confessed on tape. we'll tell you exactly what he said and how the prosecution and defense could use that to support each of their cases. you're watching cnn. stay here. for most people, earning cash back ends here, at the purchase. but there's a new card in town. introducing the citi® double cash card. it lets you earn cash back when you buy and again as you pay. that's cash back twice. it's cash back with a side of cash back. the citi double cash card. the only card that lets you earn cash back twice on every purchase with 1% when you buy and 1% as you pay . with two ways to earn, it makes a lot of other cards seem one-sided. the bed reacts to your body. it hugs you.
12:19 pm
it's really cool to the touch. this zips off so i can wash it-yes, please. (vo) visit your local retailer and feel the tempur-pedic difference for yourself. your daughter has a brilliant idea for her science project. and you could make it happen. right? wrong. because you're not you you're a cancer hospital and your daughter... she's a team of leading researchers... and that brilliant idea is a breakthrough in patient treatment that could save thousands of lives. which means you need a diverse team of advisors helping you. from research data analytics all the way to transformation of clinical care. so you call pwc. the right people to get the extraordinary done. photos are great for capturing your world. and now they can transform it. with the new angie's list app, you can get projects done in a snap. take a photo of your project or just tell us what you need done and angie's list will find a top rated provider to do the job. the angie's list app is the simple,
12:20 pm
new way to get work done on your schedule. the app makes it easy, the power of angie's list makes it work. call, click or download the app for free today.
12:21 pm
12:22 pm
>> an artist thinks he was the target of a shooting over the weekend. he was known for his depictions of the prophet mohammed. he was at a free speech event when the gunman opened fire.
12:23 pm
he knows he was a constant target since he is listed as one of al qaeda's most wanted. there's more on that list. >> in the spring of 2013 al qaeda released the list of 11 people it wanted dead or alive for committing crimes against islam. three people on the list have connections to the newspaper here in denmark. the periodical that first published the cartoons depicting the prophet mohammed in 2005 sparking protest in the middle east. fleming rose was the cultural editor at the time. in 2010 a man affiliated with the terrorist group broke into his home in an attempt to attack him. he drew one of the images of the prophet mohammed. two other cartoonists on the list were targeted in 2015. the gunman in copenhagen
12:24 pm
attacked a meeting killing at least one man and wounding three police officers. in 2007 they drew a cartoon depicting mohammed with a body of a dog. an animal muslims consider unclear. an editor of the french weekly charlie hebdo was one of several people akilled in an attack at the magazine's office. it often portrays true depictions of notable figures including the prophet mohammed. norris has been in hiding since 2005. she received a hand full of death threats. perhaps the two most well-known people on the list are salman and terry jones. he planned burn a koran day in 2010. they say it's blasphemous among
12:25 pm
their religion. his death was called for in 1989. the two dutch politicians on the list are on there. ali is a somali and out spoken critic of islam. the other is a leader of the dutch political party and has come underfire. he is an antiislamzanti-islam activist. >> thank you very much living life as a target on al qaeda's hit list is something we just heard from nick. this is something the culture editor fleming rose knows as well. he has been living under police guard ever since publishing those cartoons of the prophet mohammed in 2005. branded by some local media as the danish devil.
12:26 pm
he has written his experiences in the book called the tyranny of silence and fleming joins me now live from denmark. welcome and i have to ask, since you have been on this al qaeda hit list and to read some of the names that are associated with you are some names of artists and cartoonists who are no longer with us. tell me why you choose to join me to talk about this? why not hide? >> well, because i'm trying to do my job. i mean i published a book where i tried to layout not only the cartoon case but related issues about what freedom of expression means in a liberal democracy in a globalized world and how the concept of religious tolerance came about in europe and there's a lot of confusion. it seems that many people
12:27 pm
sincerely believe that the more multiculture the world gets the less freedom of expression we need but i think it has to be the other way around. the more we work on diversity in terms of religion we have to accept more diverse ways of expressing ourselves will follow and this is a battle of ideas that you know i have engaged in for the past nine years and i think it's very important. it's about the future of the society i live in. but it's also issues that are high on the agenda in most countries in the world where identity politics becomes, you know the way many groups choose to pursue. so they focus more on what makes us different instead of focussing on our shared humanity. we have in fact far more in
12:28 pm
common as far as human beings and individuals than divides us. >> and such a supporter of these freedoms what is your life like though day-to-day with security? >> i mean, i said to myself a long tileme ago that i'm not going to give in. if you let these things disturb your life you will hand the victory to those who are trying to intimidate you and i'm just very focused on not letting that happen. >> you, i know fleming went to the crave site of the cartooner in paris, one of the victims from the horrific charlie hebdo killings and you believe there could be more attacks in the future. so just knowing that will you continue to publish these
12:29 pm
cartoons knowing it puts your colleagues in danger? >> my newspaper do not publish mohammed cartoons any more. we said clearly that we're not doing it because we feel that we need to protect our employees and we're not doing it because we want to be nice and we don't think that -- and we think that people should refrain from it. we're not doing it because we are afraid. and then we had to have a debate do we want to live in a free society or in a fear society. i personally would like to live in a free society. but unfortunately the mechanisms of a fear society are starting to take hold. people are self-sensoring themselves and instead of being honest about it it's fear that is driving this issue, because it's not very heroic to say he
12:30 pm
is afraid. we're trying to come up with all kinds of other expirations. we know why offend -- i'm offended every day when i turn on my tv. so i think it's -- it's a dubious explanation and we should be more honest about why we're not publishing these images because they are electricalrelevant from a news point of view. they are the news. if i talk about my own experience when newspapers in your country did not republish our cartoons in 2006 it gave the impression to people around the world that they were really really offensive. and when people had a look at them they came back to me and said oh it's just that. so by not publishing you were communicating the message that these images are so offensive that people cannot even look at
12:31 pm
them. and it's also an irony that no one has done as much to distribute these images around the world as the one that would like to destroy them. >> do you fear additional attacks with images like these out there? >> i didn't get your question? >> do you fear additional attacks with images like these being published elsewhere? >> of course i fear. i think everybody does. but i think, i mean i think that the best way forward would be if the public space could be flooded with these images because then muslims could calm down rather quickly like christians did after having to live with blasphemy for decades and centuries but that's not going to happen.
12:32 pm
but i'm just -- i'm just calling, you know on my colleagues to be honest about their motives when they do not publish these images. when they are relevant of course. i don't think that one should just offend other people's religious sensibilities. but when there is a news worthy reason to do it, if we don't do it we should be honest about it and then have a debate about why we're not doing it. >> some people would disagree with you and i have seen people do such with tears in their eyes but everyone is entitled to their opinion and i appreciate you sharing yours. thank you so much sir. i appreciate your time. coming up next the recorded confession of the american sniper trial. what the accused killer said might be useful to the defense in the prosecution. could it even provide an argument for self-defense? we'll explore that next. and when you hear the name
12:33 pm
patty hearst you might think of her kidnapping but what about dog trainer. what hearst is up to these days. coming up. [ female announcer ] who are we? we are the thinkers. the job jugglers. the up all-nighters. and the ones who turn ideas into action. we've made our passions our life's work. we strive for the moments where we can say, "i did it!" ♪ ♪ we are entrepreneurs who started it all... with a signature. legalzoom has helped start over 1 million businesses, turning dreamers into business owners. and we're here to help start yours.
12:34 pm
it's happening. today, more and more people with type 2 diabetes are learning about long-acting levemir® an injectable insulin that can give you blood sugar control for up to 24 hours. and levemir® helps lower your a1c. levemir® comes in flextouch® the only prefilled insulin pen with no push-button extension. levemir® lasts 42 days without refrigeration. that's 50% longer than lantus® which lasts 28 days. today i'm asking about levemir® flextouch®. levemir® is a long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes and is not recommended to treat diabetic ketoacidosis. do not use levemir® if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. the most common side effect is low blood sugar, which may cause symptoms such as sweating,
12:35 pm
shakiness, confusion and headache. severe low blood sugar can be serious and life-threatening. ask your doctor about alcohol use, operating machinery, or driving. other possible side effects include injection site reactions. tell your doctor about all medicines you take and all of your medical conditions. check your blood sugar levels. your insulin dose should not be changed without asking your doctor. get medical help right away if you have trouble breathing swelling of your face, tongue or throat sweating, extreme drowsiness dizziness, or confusion. today's the day to ask your doctor about levemir® flextouch®. covered by nearly all health insurance and medicare plans. meet the world's newest energy superpower. surprised? in fact, america is now the world's number one natural gas producer... and we could soon become number one in oil. because hydraulic fracturing technology is safely recovering lots more oil and natural gas. supporting millions of new jobs.
12:36 pm
billions in tax revenue... and a new century of american energy security. the new energy superpower? it's red, white and blue. log on to learn more.
12:37 pm
>> lawyers for eddie ray ralph with a insanity defense saying he didn't know right and wrong when he shot kyle two years ago. jurors saw video of an agitated ralph squirming in his patrol
12:38 pm
car after the killing. they heard from him. a string of comments that range from odd to down right bizarre. so we have the legal analyst with me to go through some of these confessions. i have to read this. let me just read. let's begin with this. this is what ralph said. in his confession i fled. i didn't know what else to do. my adrenaline was so high i didn't know what was right and what was wrong. well i know what was right now. i left you, you know. the officer says you know what you did today was wrong? do you understand that? routh, yes, sir. so he apologizes. he admitted that he is wrong. how does that factor into his mind set? this is all happening after the fact. what is really an issue is what is going on in his mind during the shooting. although these defenses are rarely successful they're not even put forth most of the time
12:39 pm
this case does have the makings of one of those cases where i believe a jury will believe that he suffered from tremendous mental illness and may have been -- and wasn't sane -- was legally insane at the time he committed these murders. i haven't seen anything like this before. we're talking about someone who is clearly, clearly -- there's evidence that he is psychotic. >> but to your point that it doesn't during, do you agree with sonny? >> completely disagree. here's why. texas has one of the most restrictive insanity tests in the country. second only to those states that don't have an insanity defense at all. in this case you look at the skill of the investigators here. you ask them the question. they know the statute and did you know right from wrong? yes i did. the defense might say look this is a medical determination. but look in texas the courts have said insanity is not strictly a medical determination. if it was, this would be stieddecided
12:40 pm
in the hospital. it is both a medical determination and moral determination. the jury is going to see evidence of number one he fled which is the consciousness of guilt and number two that he clearly knew what was right and what was wrong because he said so. >> what about this whole crazy bit about his soul? routh said if he didn't take kyle's soul kyle would take his. his lawyer said this and i'm quoting you're entitled to use deadly force if you think the other person is going to use deadly force against you. >> there you go those are clearly not the statements of someone in their right mind and if you look at this confession video and you look at the transcript it's clear that his statements routh statements that he knew right from wrong came after having been interviewed for a long time and so you know when you look at the fact that even the victim in this case chris kyle sends a text message to the other person
12:41 pm
in the car saying this guy is nuts. the victim himself recognized that something was going on with this person at the time of the incident. >> it's not whether he was nuts. it's whether he knew right from wrong. texas has the simplest test in the world and where you have a defendant saying i know right from wrong, that is going to be quite a hill for this defense to climb. >> okay. thank you both. we'll see you. we'll keep watching. meantime israeli's prime minister upcoming visit to congress is raising questions in the white house. they invited the prime minister without checking with the president but netanyahu said yes about checking with the white house. now cnn is asking americans do you think it's right or wrong? what you're saying coming up. >> plus the place where snow this is fascinating to me you know they have snow farms in massachusetts? like all this stuff gets hauled away to a snow farm. we will actually show you what
12:42 pm
happens to the stuff to make way for more snow. ♪♪ nineteen years ago, we thought "wow, how is there no way to tell the good from the bad?" so we gave people the power of the review. and now angie's list is revolutionizing local service again. you can easily buy and schedule services from top-rated providers. conveniently stay up to date on progress. and effortlessly turn your photos into finished projects with our angie's list app. visit angieslist.com today. ♪♪
12:43 pm
hey, girl. is it crazy that your soccer trophy is talking to you right now? it kinda is. it's as crazy as you not rolling over your old 401k. cue the horns... just harness the confidence it took you to win me and call td ameritrade's rollover consultants. they'll help with the hassle by guiding you through the whole process step by step. and they'll even call your old provider. it's easy. even she could do it. whatever, janet. for all the confidence you need td ameritrade. you got this. you're driving along, having a perfectly nice day, when out of nowhere a pick-up truck slams into your brand new car. one second it wasn't there and the next second... boom! you've had your first accident. now you have to make your first claim. so you talk to your insurance company and... boom! you're blindsided for a second time. they won't give you enough money to replace your brand new car. don't those people know you're already shaken up? liberty mutual's new car
12:44 pm
replacement will pay for the entire value of your car plus depreciation. call and for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. switch to liberty mutual insurance and you could save up to $423 dollars. call liberty mutual for a free quote today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
12:45 pm
12:46 pm
>> it's an invitation most americans think wasn't handled properly. we're talking about the leader of israel coming to adress congress in washington next month. our polls find 63% think it was wrong for house speaker swronjohn boehner to invite netanyahu without first telling president obama. 2-thirds of americans prefer americans take no sides in the conflict between them. the chief washington correspondent and anchor of the new cnn presidential anchor quiz show adding to your title there. >> you didn't have money against me. >> get it up there tapper. >> you had money against me.
12:47 pm
>> at the end of the day, you pulled it through. >> that's fine. >> congratulations. >> that's fine. >> when we talked about this whole netanyahu invitation our take away was he didn't reach out to the administration and say i'm going to accept this. so number one. number two with the poll results do you think that would surprise republicans to see how americans feel? >> first of all, republicans dispute how the poll characterized what the congress did. they say they did inform the white house. they didn't consult. that means they didn't seek permission but they didn't tell them they were doing it. that's what the house republicans say. you don't want to get into a sething here. you talk about wanting to stay out of the conflict that is true but we should also look at other polls that show time and again the american people express sympathy and identify with
12:48 pm
israel and not with the palestinian territories. the people of israel and not with the palestinians. so it's not as though people don't feel like they have a stake in it. it's just a question of people i think not wanting the united states to get involved abroad. >> yeah. >> that would be my take anyway. >> let's get your take on the dhs as well. the poll about the budget from the department of homeland security isn't well for republicans. if there is a standoff over money and dhs has to shutdown the survey found 53% would blame the republicans. 30% would blame obama. 13% say they're both at fault. how do you read the numbers? >> well one thing that's interesting is that senate democrats are not in that list of who should be blamed and the senate democrats are not taking up the house republicans bill. the house republicans bill includes funding for department of homeland security but also takes away president obama's executive actions.
12:49 pm
strips them away. senate democrats are not even allowing a debate on that. so be that as it may, i think one lesson that republicans have learned from the government shutdown is people might be mad. people might think it's a bad thing for parts of government to shutdown but at the end of the day, how much blow back is there really? republican won seats in congress a year after that shutdown. so i don't know how much blow back there can actually be. >> are you gloating today at all? >> i'm not a gloater. >> no? >> i won. i don't have to gloat. >> i feel like this aura around you a little bit. >> what's upsetting to me is that you bet against me. >> let's move past that. i didn't say i didn't bet on you. i knew it was a test between the two nerds. my favorite nerds and you, my dear succeeded. >> i just -- >> i'm proud to share your oxygen at this moment. >> as a general rule, don't bet
12:50 pm
jake tapper. >> stay tuned for jake. >> all right. >> let's move on to this. the westminster dog show began it'so the westminster dog show began its preliminaries last night, something we would not normally cover on this show. but it so happens one of the winner's owners is a name you probably haven't heard in a while. >> here is rocket new york city, new york, owned by patricia hearst-shaw. >> that's patricia hearst made famous when a radical ga ril la group kidnapped had her in 1974. the rebel turned dog show enthusiast brought about flashbacks of those dramatic images in san francisco. after her shitshad shits sue placed
12:51 pm
first. as a sophomore in college she was kidnapped from her apartment and a year later she joined them taishgs being on the name tania. surveillance caught these iconic images of her robbing a bank. after she was captured she said she was brain quashwashbrainwashed. it's the most famous example of stockholm syndrome. >> the leader came to my group and said, your father has hired psychics to find you. i don't want you to think about where you are and anything about this place. i realize i was trying not to think about anything that could lead a psychic to me. >> the jury rejected that defense. patty hearst sentenced to seven years in prison for the robbery. but president jimmy carter commuted her sentence after she served less than two years behind bars. and later she got a full pardon by president bill clinton.
12:52 pm
>> it will never go away and, you know certain things can bring it back like it's just happened. >> hearst has tried her best to move on with her life starring in b-list movies and signing up for dog shows. she told the associated press last night, quote, i guess people somehow imagine you don't evolve in your life. i have grown daughters and granddaughters and other things that normal people have. her dog rocket will join six other dogs tonight in the championship ring for best in show. there is so much snow in the northeast it doesn't actually have a chance to melt before more snow comes sweeping through. it has to go somewhere. ryan young is there at the top of the snow melting at a snow farm. we'll talk to him next. you're watching cnn. and it's only at t-mobile.
12:53 pm
12:54 pm
12:55 pm
12:56 pm
all right, as parts of the northeast deal with wave after wave of brutal winter weather, bros boston has a problem, what to do with all the snow. one answer take it to a snow farm. lots of snow here. they're actually being trucked
12:57 pm
away to several areas where it's stored and then melted to make way for more snow. we have ryan young at one of those snow farms in sommerville, massachusetts. i couldn't believe in boston a couple of weeks ago, they said it goes to a snow farm. what? how does that work? >> reporter: well we found this snow farm we've seen trucks all day trying to bring more snow here. and guess what they cannot bring it in here because it's already full. take a look at all the snow here. in fact, it's more than four football field of space here, all full to the top and of course stacked more than 20 feet high. look in this direction. it just goes on for a distance. they've been actually working on this for the last few hours trying totry ing to knock some of this out. how do they do that? they're startology melt it. we'll show you the video we've shot in the last two hours. two guys are using a forklift. they come here with a front loader, take snow bring the
12:58 pm
snow to this device and it melt it's down with a jet engine. we've been watching this process for three, four hours. not that complicated but a lot of work for just two people. there's more snow coming in this direction. so much snow has hit the ground here that right now they're paying people $30 an hour to try to clear the transportation lines so the subway system can work. come back here live and look at the mountain of snow, something you have to climb to get up here, more than 25 feet in the air. that's the front loader they're using to scoop the snow up, take it over to the machine and try to melt it down. but guess what they're also running out of salt in the area because so much salt has been used on the roads, they're trying to truck it in as fast as they can because, guess what more snow is falling. >> ryan you look like you're in this huge white abyss, this arctic tundra that issome
12:59 pm
orville massachusetts. where does the melted snow go? i'm assuming not the charles river wrxt river. where does it go? >> reporter: great question. there's a drain nearby. once it melts down into water, it goes into the drain. then it's just like water. then they come back clean the same street and resalt it to make sure nobody slips and slides in the intersection where they're working. they do have a good system. but you can tell it's going to take months to get rittd of all of this. >> i bet you didn't realize you'd join cnn having to pack your clamp-ones this mountain of snow in the boston, massachusetts, area. thank you so much ryan young. if i haven't said hello, welcome to the krpcnn family. good to have you along. >> appreciate it. >> that does it for me here in
1:00 pm
new york. i'm brooke baldwin. we'll send it a little early here to jake tapper. "the lead" starts right now. the secret u.s. kill list of isis terrorists. i'm jake tapper. this is "the lead." the world lead. a state department spokesman says the u.s. cannot kill its way out of the war with isis but the u.s. has a classified list of isis commanders at the top of the terrorist food chain marked for death. plus their acts of terror paralyzed paris and killed 17 people. now new details on how the terrorists/gunmen coordinated the charlie hebdo slaughter and supermarket slaughter over texts. and the national lead. boston running out of places to pile the snow. but the messy monsoon of weather has killed six people. with folks sitting in the dark, emergency crews are scrambling to prevent the next potential casualti