Skip to main content

tv   Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer  CNN  January 24, 2017 2:00pm-3:01pm PST

2:00 pm
happening now. breaking news, false claim, president trump repeats his claim that he lost the popular vote because millions voted illegally. the white house offers no evidence of that thoroughly debunked contention saying the president, quote, believes what he believes. maybe we will. asked if the white house will push for a voter fraud investigation, trump's spokesman says maybe we will. and republican senator lindsey graham warns the president's claim will shake confidence in
2:01 pm
our democracy and erode credibility. he signs actions to dissolve dakota access oil pipelines. environmental and native american groups are gearing up for appreciate protests. and press obsession, ever the show man, president trump invites the media in for photo ops, basking in the coverage, even as he constantly insults the media as dishonest. i'm wolf blitzer and you're in "the situation room." >> announcer: this is cnn breaking news. >> breaking news. he now sits in the oval office 2 1/2 months after he won the presidency, sweeping electoral victory. president trump still claims that he lost the popular vote because of voter fraud. the white house says the president believes millions voted illegally. that claim has been thoroughly
2:02 pm
debunked and press secretary sean spicer today offered no evidence, saying only that the president, quote, believes what he believes. that puzzling and chilling assertion is overshadowing another busy day for the president. he met with auto manufacturers holding the big stick of steep border taxes behind his back. and he issued more executive actions, clearing the way for major oil pipelines that his predecessor blocked and he said that he'll decide on a u.s. supreme court nominee next week. but the voter fraud claims also reverberating on capitol hill. overshadowing the fact that more of trump's cabinet picks are slowly moving toward confirmation. republican senator lind i graham is urging the president to, quote, knock this off, adding people will start doubting you as a person. graham says such claims could, quote, undermine his presidency and shake confidence in our democracy. i'll speak with democratic senator chris cools and our
2:03 pm
correspondents, analysts and guests, all are standing by for full coverage of today's top stories. let's begin with president trump clinging to his stunning claim of massive fraud in the popular vote. let's go to our senior white house correspondent jim accosta first. jim, key republicans are finding this very troubling. >> that's right, wolf. president trump has whipped up another fire storm by once again repeating the false claim that millions of people voted illegally in the election. what's more shocking is that white house officials are not knocking down this falsehood, only saying it's what the president believes. it's a lie that won't die. at a reception with congressional leaders he at the white house, president trump once again repeated his false claim that millions of people cast fraudulent ballots, robbing him of a popular vote victory in the november election. white house press secretary sean spicer confirmed, this is what the president believes. >> the president does believe that. he has stated that before. i think he stated his concerns
2:04 pm
of voter fraud and people voting illegally during the campaign. and he continues to maintain that belief based on studies and evidence that people have presented to him. >> reporters press spicer to offer proof. >> what evidence do you have? >> as i said, i think the president has believed that for a while based on studies and information he has. >> word of the president's mention of this falsehood spread like wildfire on capitol hill where it was rejected by both democrats and republicans. >> i think we're going to see more of this. i think we've just got to be very clear that we're going to call -- we're going to correct the record and tell the truth to the american people. there is no record of millions of people who are not authorized to vote. >> i wasn't there. but if the president of the united states is claiming that 3 to 5 -- 3 1/2 million people voted illegally, that shakes confidence in our democracy. he needs to disclose why he believes that. >> to back up the president's claim, trump aeds have repeatedly pointed to this 2012
2:05 pm
study to the pew charitable trust that finds nearly 3 million people have registrations in more than one state and almost 2 million are listed as dead. but the study's authors made it clear they did not actually find examples of voter fraud. trump has made the claim before, tweeting after the election that in addition to winning the electoral college in a land slide, i won the popular vote. if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally. had i loss in the popular vote to hillary clinton by roughly 3 million votes is hardly the only insecurity the president is nursing these days. democrats were taunting the president over the crowd size of his inauguration at a confirmation hearing for mr. trump's pick to run the office of management and budget. >> which crowd is larger, the 2009 crowd or the 2017 crowd? >> senator, if you allow me to give the disclaimer i'm not really sure how this ties to omb, i'll be happy to answer your question which was from that picture it does appear that the crowd on the left-hand side is bigger than the crowd on the right-hand side. >> it's yet another controversy
2:06 pm
overshadowing the early days of the new administration. the time when the white house senior staff would rather focus on the president's executive actions, resurrecting the key stone pipeline. >> we will build our own pipeline. we will build our own pipes. that's what it has to do with. like we used to in the old days. >> white house insists the president is secure in his win. >> he's very comfortable with his win. >> now, a wide range of academic studies in fact check reports have investigated claims of widespread voter fraud in the u.s. and there is simply no proof of any fraudulent voting occurring anywhere near the scale that the president is talking about. the experts in this area agree instances of voter fraud are rare. president trump lost the popular vote, wolf, because more people voted for hillary clinton than for him. that's it, wolf. >> all right, jim accosta at the white house, thanks very much. let's go to our other senior white house correspondent, jeff. right now, jeff, you were there at today's briefing in the west wing and challenged the press secretary sean spicer on the
2:07 pm
president's claim of widespread voter fraud. tell our viewers how that went down. >> indeed, would have. the question here is if there was widespread fraud, if these allegations are true as the press secretary said the president believes, i wanted to know if the republican national committee had the same question. sean spicer of course after all was the chief strategist of the republican national committee during the general election campaign. the new white house chief of staff, reince priebus, was the chairman of the rnc during that time. so, i asked sean spicer if he believes those allegations. you said the president believes that there was voter fraud. i wonder if you believe that. you were the republican national committee at the time and reince priebus was the chair at the time. how can he be comfortable with his win -- >> he's comfortable with his minute. >> maybe he didn't win. >> no, he's very comfortable with his win. it's an electoral based system. he won 300 votes.
2:08 pm
30 of 50 states voted for him. he believes what he believe. yes, ma'am. >> what does that mean for democracy? if he does believe that, what does it mean for democracy? >> it means i've answered your question. >> have you? and, wolf, in term of what it means for democracy, that is what so many lawmakers are asking here. they believe this is a more serious argument, particularly now that donald trump is president. it is a very familiar argument he was making it on the campaign trail at the end of the campaign and certainly in those viktsery rallies we saw him take in november and december. but now as president making those charges last night during that meeting with congressional leaders, his fellow republicans, wolf, wish he would stop talking about this. no indication yet if he will. this certainly overshadowed many things happening today here at the white house. wolf? >> and there is no indication, jeff, that the white house is ordering a full-scale investigation of what they regard, at least of what the president regards as widespread voter fraud is there? >> no, wolf, there isn't at all.
2:09 pm
sean spicer left open the door slightly. he said maybe we will, but clearly was not prepared when he came here into this briefing room. in fact, standing right here at the podium to answer that question. and, look, he now controls the government. so, he could direct his justice department or his attorney general once senator sessions if he is confirmed is in place. there is no plan on doing that. wolf, even people here, and certainly republicans want to change the subject on this. but we'll see if the president ends up acknowledging that this belief isn't true. as of now they say he believes it is true, wolf, despite no evidence to back it up. wolf? >> jeff reporting from the white house. thanks very much. joining us democratic senator chris koonz, of the foreign relations and judiciary committee. thanks for joining us. >> thank you, wolf. >> let me get your reaction to president trump's baseless claim that he would have won the popular vote if millions of people had not voted illegally. what's your reaction? >> wolf, this is very troubling.
2:10 pm
once again, we see the president focused on size, on the size of the crowds that turned out at his inauguration versus president obama's inauguration. the size of the popular vote and whether or not hillary clinton won the popular vote or he did. and he and his representatives sean spicer and kelyanne conway have presented this suggestion that millions of people voted illegally as an alternative fact. it's not an alternative fact. it's a baseless lie and it has consequence, wolf. because we've got more than a dozen states that have enacted laws to require voter id, to restrict access to the opportunity to vote based on identification, using widespread falsehoods about the idea that there are millions of people voting illegally. so, it's had a real consequence. this is part of a several year long orchestrated campaign to challenge the legitimacy of our electorate and our democratic process. and i'm very distraught to see the president of the united states, president trump, repeating these falsehoods.
2:11 pm
>> wouldn't widespread voter fraud, if in fact 3 million or 4 million people illegally voted in the most recent presidential election, if that in fact is true, wouldn't that demand an immediate federal investigation? >> absolutely, wolf. we had hearings on the judiciary committee in the last congress on the question of voter fraud and whether or not these voter id laws were needed. there is virtually no evidence of voter fraud in the united states across every state in the country as you know, wolf, state and local official conduct these elections. so, secretaries of state, both republican and democrat in states all over the country, have confirmed virtually no cases in our entire country. not hundreds of cases, not thousands of cases, and certainly not millions of cases. but, wolf, what we do know is that the intelligence community unanimously concluded that russia did try to influence our most recent election, and i don't see a call from the trump administration for the sort of thorough, timely and forceful
2:12 pm
investigation of that action to undermine our democracy which i think it deserves. >> well, there is going to be a senate investigation, there are house investigations. the oversight committees are looking into this. and as you point out, all the u.s. intelligence agencies and the fbi, they offered their conclusions publicly already. let's talk about something else that happened today, senator. president trump signed more executive actions including the approval of two oil pipelines that had been shelved by the obama administration. the union leaders who met with trump at the white house today, they were thrilled by that decision. thousands of jobs will be created in building those pipelines. do you worry, though, that trump is sigh phoning off support from those kinds of groups, blue collar workers like unions who have traditionally voted for democrats? >> well, i do think that president trump is making good on a number of his campaign promises with some of his early executive orders. and i do think that in a few cases they will show some real
2:13 pm
impact on job creation. but i wonder how long he's going to be able to make the kind of difference and to keep the sorts of commitments that he made in the campaign. coming up shortly are much more difficult challenges than simply allowing one or two pipelines go ahead. he's claimed he is intent on repealing the aca while still providing health insurance for all. yet the republicans have no comprehensive plan for how to deal with the affordable care act, and president trump's nominee congressman price to run hhs and to lead the whole process of replacing the aca, is on record as wanting to privatize or turn into a voucher or block grant treasured programs like medicare and medicaid and he is on record as being a staunch opponent of the aca without a comprehensive plan to replace it. these things i think will be much bigger issues for him in the weeks ahead. >> take a look at these live pictures we're getting in from outside the white house. protester gathering right now. the pipeline decisions, the
2:14 pm
executive actions signed by the president today, they're beginning to show up. there is a u.s. congressman who is there, congressman grahalva, among others who are standing outside the white house. do you expect democrats will try to fight the president on these executive actions approving these two oil pipelines? >> well, wolf, i think you're going to see very strong push back by democrats in the senate on some of his extreme nominees. scott pruitt to run the epa in particular is someone who not only would have approved these pipelines, but would have made major changes to the laws that protect clean air and clean water. betsy devos who is the nominee to be secretary of education has had withering criticism and opposition here in the senate. she's somewhere many of us are going to vote no, but no way. i think you're going to see a united democratic opposition to some of his least qualified and most controversial nominees for the cabinet.
2:15 pm
>> president trump also announced today that he plans to announce his pick for the u.s. supreme court vacancy next week. the senate minority leader chuck schumer says democrats would fight, in his words, tooth and nail against any nominee who isn't, in his words, bipartisan and mainstream. would you join that fight? and including a possible filibuster that would require 60 senators' approval in order to grant confirmation? >> well, wolf, let's be clear about how we got here. justice scalia passed away roughly a little more than a year ago. he passed away in early 2016. and that vacant seat was held vacant without a hearing, without a vote by the republican majority for virtually an entire year, an unprecedented step. i think that every one of president trump's nominees deserve a hearing. and if we hear that his nominee for the supreme court is a consensus candidate, someone in the mainstream of american jurisprudence, then i could vote for him.
2:16 pm
but i will join senator schumer in voting against someone who is an extreme candidate, someone who is outside the mainstream of american legal thinking and the way we can get to that conclusion is through a full and fair hearing, exactly the sort of hearing that judge merrick garland never received. >> senator, we're getting more information, more breaking news coming into the situation room. we're also standing by a key confirmation vote up at the senate right now. we'll take a quick break, resume the q & a with you right after this. ♪ if you have moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's, and your symptoms have left you with the same view, it may be time for a different perspective. if other treatments haven't worked well enough,
2:17 pm
ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works by focusing right in the gi-tract to help control damaging inflammation and is clinically proven to begin helping many patients achieve both symptom relief as well as remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. while not reported with entyvio, pml, a rare, serious brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections, or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's medication isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach. and her new mobile wedding business.tte at first, getting paid was tough... until she got quickbooks. now she sends invoices, sees when they've been viewed and ta-da, paid twice as fast! see how at quickbooks-dot-com.
2:18 pm
2:19 pm
be the you who doesn't cover your moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. be the you who shows up in that dress. who hugs a friend. who is done with treatments that don't give you clearer skin. be the you who controls your psoriasis with stelara® just 4 doses a year after 2 starter doses. stelara® may lower your ability to fight infections and may increase your risk of infections and cancer. some serious infections require hospitalization. before treatment, get tested for tuberculosis. before starting stelara® tell your doctor if you think you have an infection or have symptoms such as: fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough. always tell your doctor if you have any signs of infection, have had cancer, if you develop any new skin growths or if anyone in your house needs or has recently received a vaccine. alert your doctor of new or worsening problems, including headaches, seizures, confusion and vision problems these may be signs of a rare, potentially fatal brain condition. some serious allergic reactions can occur. do not take stelara® if you are allergic to stelara® or any of its ingredients. most people using stelara® saw 75% clearer skin and the majority were rated as cleared or minimal at 12 weeks. be the you who talks to your dermatologist about stelara®.
2:20 pm
won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. our breaking news, president trump still claiming that he lost the popular vote because of voter fraud. that's been totally debunked,
2:21 pm
but the white house says the president believes what he believes. up on capitol hill, republican senator lindsey graham says that claim can undermine trump's presidency and rock, in his words, our democracy. indeed, the president is diverting attention from his cabinet picks. some took a step toward confirmation today, but one in particular is having a tough time. let's go to our senior congressional reporter manu raju. manu, what's the latest? >> hey, wolf, congressman tom price, donald trump's pick to be the health and human services secretary, facing a second round of questioning today from democrats and republicans. democrats pushing him hard on what he would replace obamacare with and he didn't have many specifics and that prompted democratic frustration. congressman tom price under fire from senate democrats in a contentious hearing over his nomination to lead the health and human services department. democrats pushed price to explain what he would do to replace obamacare.
2:22 pm
>> what we have after the repeal is trump care. >> price often deflecting questions, including whether he supports turning medicaid from a guarantee into a grant program. >> i don't know why you won't be willing to answer whether or not you are in favor of block granting medicaid. that's not complicated. >> i'm in favor of making certain that medicaid is a system that responds to patients, not the government >> in another exchange, price dodged a question about whether he was working directly with trump on a plan to replace obamacare. >> president trump said he's working with you on a replacement plan for the aca, which is nearly finished and will be revealed after your confirmation. is that true? >> it's true that he said that, yes. [ laughter ] >> and refused to say how he would implement a trump executive order, giving the hhs secretary the power to weaken obamacare. >> yes or no, under the executive order, will you commit
2:23 pm
that no one will be worse off? >> what i commit to, senator, is working with you and every single member of congress to make certain we have the highest quality health care and that every single american has access to affordable coverage. >> but price, an orthopedic surgeon, tried to reassure senators he isn't a partisan actor. >> one of my physician colleagues used to tell me that he never operated on a democrat patient or republican patient. he operated on a patient. and that's the way that i view the system. it's not a republican system, not a democrat system. >> price faced growing concerns about his investments in health care companies while pursuing legislation affecting those firms, including after a cnn report last week showing the georgia congressman investing in a medical device maker shortly before introducing a bill to aid the company. >> set aside the legal issues, it is hard to see this as anything but a conflict of interest and an abuse of
2:24 pm
position. >> republicans quickly leapt to price's defense saying he fully complied with the law. >> does it burn you that they want to hold you to a difficult he rent standard now that you're a nominee than they are as a member? >> well, we know what's going on here. >> well, we do. we do. >> and price argued that many of his questionable transactions were made by a broker without his knowledge. >> the advisors and not dr. price has the discretion to decide which securities to buy and sell. >> anybody who knows me well knows that i would never violate their trust. >> now, there was some good news for some donald trump nominees today including for elaine to be the transportation secretary. wilbur ross to be the commerce secretary, and ben carson to be the hud secretary. each of those three nominees getting confirmed by committee, carson even getting the support from liberal democrats, cheryl brown and elizabeth warren of massachusetts, but mitt mulvaney
2:25 pm
to be budget director coming under sharp criticism from a fellow republican today. john mccain concerned about his support in the past for defense cuts and for wanting to withdraw troops from afghanistan telling him in a hearing, he is deeply concerned about his, quote, lack of support for our military. wolf? >> interesting, very interesting, manu raju up on the hill. thanks very much for that. we're back with democratic senator chris koonz. as far as tom price is concerned, you heard some of the tough questions, the accusations that he was trading in health care stocks while pursuing legislation that would directly affect those companies. from your perspective, was that a disqualifying maneuver? >> wolf, there was a fairly disturbing amount of dancing going on there by congressman price, both in not answering in a forthright way questions about his plans for providing health care for the american people once the aca is repealed which is president trump's promise,
2:26 pm
and not being forthright about his investments and whether or not those investments were a real conflict of interest. if the facts prove out as suggested in the hearing clip that you provided and that i've seen in the press publicly, i think it would be a disqualifying act and something that ought to be investigated further. >> why are you opposing mickey haley to become the next u.s. ambassador to the u.n.? >> i know there are very few who share that position. she did very well in her confirmation hearing in front of the foreign relations committee. and as governor she did take a brave stand about removing the confed rat flag from the state capital in south carolina. she was very likeable and very engaging. but in her testimony in front of the committee, up front she said i have a great deal to learn about foreign policy. she frankly will be one of the least experienced u.n. ambassadors in american history and i just felt it was important to vote based on her qualifications. i am optimistic she'll learn the
2:27 pm
role and she will grow into it, but given the number of conflicts we face around the world and given the tough competitors that the united nation's top diplomats like russia and china and iran, i don't think this is the sort of job, wolf, where we ought to send someone who is learning on the job. >> senator chris koonz, thanks very much. >> thank you, would have. >> coming up, more on this afternoon's breaking news. the new white house press secretary repeating president trump's claim that millions of people voted illegally in the last election, but offering no proof to back up that claim. special edition. iso this is one gorgeous truck. oh, did i say there's only one special edition? because, actually there's 5. aaaahh!! ooohh!! uh! holy mackerel. wow. nice. strength and style. which one's your favorite? (laughter) come home with me! trade up to the silverado all star edition and get an average total value of eight thousand one hundred fifty dollars when you find your tag.
2:28 pm
find new roads at your local chevy dealer. you're smart. you already knew that. but it's also great for finding the perfect used car. you'll see what a fair price is, and you can connect with a truecar certified dealer. now you're even smarter.
2:29 pm
this is truecar.
2:30 pm
2:31 pm
2:32 pm
we're following the breaking news. today the white house press secretary sean spicer repeated president trump's claim that millions of people illegally voted in the presidential election, but offered no proof. let's bring in our political experts, gloria borger, i'll start with you. they say -- the white house says sean spicer was a free and fair election. he won freely, but there were also millions of illegal votes he would have won the popular vote if there had not been all the illegal votes out there. >> it's a little bit of double think here, little o rwe lian. on the one hand you're saying, we won this election, on the other hand 3 million people voted illegally. nobody was talking about it, wolf. nobody was talking about hillary clinton's win in the popular vote, which is of course underlying all of this. nobody was talking about the crowd size until the president of the united states couldn't help himself. and now what he has done is he's
2:33 pm
undermined his own message, you know? the white house correspond e yo this closely, meeting with business leaders, signing executive actions, trying to let people know he's all about job creation. and then we get off on these tangents that don't seem to get them anywhere and put, quite frankly, his press secretary in a pretty difficult position day in and day out. >> the reason this is all being discussed now, david, is because the president last night, when he met with democratic and republican, house and senate leaders, he was the one who brought up the whole notion that 3 1/2 or 4 million people voted illegally, otherwise he would have won the popular vote. >> yeah, we're 5 1/2 hours into the fifth day of the trump presidency and now the trump presidency has been 50% about telling falsehoods from the president. so, that's the scope of the trump presidency right now. and the danger in this, of this particular comment, is that nothing else matters.
2:34 pm
>> right. >> because it's a threshold issue. the entire democracy rests on this principle of free and fair elections. he is the leader of the united states of america, and he is questioning the very legitimacy of how our public representatives got here and represent us in the country. if you do that, why are we going to listen on anything related to trade or the issue of life or any of the other issues that they're trying to get done out of the gate? he just put a silence on them because nothing else matters right now until the president of the united states corrects this notion that he, without any evidence, questions the legitimacy of the election that delivered him the oval office. >> dana, listen to lindsey graham the senator because he was outspoken on this today. >> al gore walked away based on 5 or 600 votes. richard nnixon lost a very close election. we're talking about a man who won the election and seems to be obsessed with the idea that he could not have possibly lost the
2:35 pm
popular vote without cheating and fraud. so, i would urge the president to knock this off. this is the greatest democracy on earth. you're the leader of the free world, and people are going to start doubting you as a person if you keep making accusations against our electoral system without justification. this is going to erode his ability to govern this country if he does not stop it. >> and i suspect there are other republicans who agree with him. >> oh, yeah, no question. look, lind i graham has a give or darn factor of zero which is why he's saying what he is saying in public. >> that's nice. >> you can bet and you probably know because you talked to some, too, that the majority, the vast majority of president trump's fellow republicans on capitol hill feel exactly the same way. they're just not as willing to say it publicly for a lot of reasons, but actually one of the biggest reasons that i've heard from other republicans who say
2:36 pm
this privately is because they don't want to feed what they call "the noise" of donald trump's latest tweets or latest falsehoods, frankly, and they want to focus on the legislative agenda, the republicans have been hoping to have a republican partner in the white house to push forward for so long. however, david said something very, very important. all of that will be very, very difficult to actually he get done if the fundamentals of the presidency are in question. and if it is the president himself that is putting it out there and putting -- >> mark, how much of a distraction is this going to be for the president? >> it's huge. let me give you a parallel problem right now. not only is he undermining our democracy as it stands right now when you have republican secretaries of states out there saying what he is saying is absolutely wrong. you now have a president who is lying, blatantly lying about an issue that we all can see. the pictures tell the whole
2:37 pm
story, right? the research tells the whole story. if you are a foreign leader right now and you are seeing the behavior right now of donald trump, do you have to question yourself if you can ever trust him in if you are a congressional republican on capitol hill or congressional democrat trying to cut a deal with donald trump and you see him acting in this manner, can you trust him? and that is a huge issue, i think, going forward in his presidency. >> nia, a lot of us were surprised at the reaction from the white house press secretary today because we all knew what the president said last night in that meeting with congressional leaders. >> yeah, i mean, he essentially said that this is something that donald trump believes. sean spicer didn't say whether or not he believed it himself, but said that this is something that donald trump believes. you know, i think pop liz many and conspiracy theories go hand in hand and we have seen from donald trump that he has liked to pedal conspiracy theories. and the way they work essentially is that i think they bind outsiders together as a way
2:38 pm
of questioning whatever the official narrative is. so, i think if we look at donald trump as someone who is always talking in that populist vein, always trying to bind his supporters together and keep them on the same page, i think this works politically. it is dangerous. i'm sorry. but i think at the same time it has worked for him and there is this sense that i think when people pedal these conspiracy theories, that they are tweaking the elite and that is something that donald trump likes to do. >> that's right. in this particular case, the two blow ups that we've had over the past several days have both had one very important thing in common. they are illustrations of president trump's insecurities. crowd size, it's just like he was focused on that during the campaign and he did have very large crowds. he was focused on it when he was on the apprentice, he was all about rating. and now it is legitimacy, in his mind, of his presidency because hillary clinton won the popular
2:39 pm
vote. the question going forward is can he grow a thicker skin. and if he can't, can he get people around him who can say, mr. president, i know you're feeling, but -- >> that's my question. who in the white house -- >> hold on. hold on. one moment. we're getting some new information right now. i just want to make sure i have the precise information. what are we learning? let's take a quick break. we'll go to breaking news right after this. [john] hey, here's an idea.
2:40 pm
2:41 pm
2:42 pm
what if instead of waiting weeks for your tax refund? you can get an advance on that refund. [zombie] an advance on my tax refund, i could really use that. [john] what would you do with that money? [zombie] i'd love to take a tropical holiday. [john] i'd be careful, with your skin tone. [zombie] no i get it cause i'm a zombie. yeah that's funny. [off camera] all my undead, we are back. [john] i will see you out there. [zombie] see ya. [john] and don't take it personally. [vo] you can get a refund advance of up to $1250 no interest at block. [john] don't just get your taxes done. get your taxes won.
2:43 pm
on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claims centers are available to assist you 24/7. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
2:44 pm
standing by for the final vote in the u.s. senate, mickey haley who has been nominated to become the next u.s. ambassador to the united nations overwhelmingly approved by the senate foreign relations committee. she is about to be approved by the full u.s. senate. we'll have the numbers for you. that's coming up soon. i want to get back to our correspondents and political experts talking about the breaking news today, the white house defending president trump's assertion that there were 3 1/2 or 4 million illegal votes in this most recent election, otherwise he would have won the popular vote. >> here are a couple questions i have. number one, who inside the white house can say to the president, this isn't a good idea, you're taking us away from the issues we want you to be out there talking about? we don't want to look back. we want to look ahead. the second thing that i really don't understand, i understand that the president has an obsession with all of this. but he is, in addition to
2:45 pm
undermining democracy and the elections of everybody in the congress, he's also undermining himself with this because he is, you know, at once saying there were 3 million people who voted illegally, then why not call for an investigation into what occurred during the election. well, sean spicer was asked about that today and was, let's just say noncommittal about it. so, if it were really an issue that's threatened our democracy at its very core, then we ought to know the facts about it. i think we do know the facts. >> but it's also true i think the republican base has been talking about voter fraud for years, right? so, i think they are much more primed to believe in voter fraud. i mean, they use the idea there was massive voter fraud to pass all sorts of laws in all sorts of states around voter id. i'm not necessarily sure he is undermining himself among this republican party base and the people which actually voted for him. >> as far as undermining
2:46 pm
himself, we have nikki haley, a governor, a conservative, someone liked by democrat and republicans alike. maybe south carolina democrats not ena.m.erred with him because he was a republican, but yet overall, she is about to become the u.n. ambassador. she is about to become our diplomat to the world and we are here right now talking about a lie that donald trump refuses to give. that's how he's undermining himself. he's undermining his staff by forcing him to go out and repeat his lies. if he's not lying, let's assume he's not lying at all, then what's happening right now? he's either delusional and he believes it which that in itself is scary. or to dana's point, the insecurities, the fact -- >> david, how does he fix it? >> he has to fix this by coming out at some point and asserting a belief in that a legitimate election took place in november. i take your point totally about the partisan battle that has been over voter fraud and voting rights. here's what i think is different about this and you're right, i
2:47 pm
think the republican base is primed to think that there is massive voter fraud where there is not a lot of evidence of that because their leaders have told them that. i don't see this issue as a partisan issue at all right now. >> right. >> i don't see this as we saw over the weekend, a battle with the press and the relationship with the press. i see this as a fundamental leader of the country, the president of the united states, needs to convince the people of this country that he's leading that their elected representatives are here freely and fairly because of a fair election. >> good point. all right, everybody, stand by. there is much more news coming into "the situation room" despite the new president's self declared war against the news media. there is plenty of evidence the one-time reality tv star still wants to use reporters and cameras to craft his image and his message.
2:48 pm
♪ approaching medicare eligibility? you may think you can put off checking out your medicare options until you're sixty-five, but now is a good time to get the ball rolling. keep in mind, medicare only covers about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is up to you. that's where aarp medicare supplement insurance plans
2:49 pm
insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company come in. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they could help pay some of what medicare doesn't, saving you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you've learned that taking informed steps along the way really makes a difference later. that's what it means to go long™. call now and request this free decision guide. it's full of information on medicare and the range of aarp medicare supplement plans to choose from based on your needs and budget. all plans like these let you choose any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, and there are no network restrictions. unitedhealthcare insurance company has over thirty years experience and the commitment to roll along with you, keeping you on course. so call now and discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans
2:50 pm
endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations. plus, nine out of ten plan members surveyed say they would recommend their plan to a friend. remember, medicare doesn't cover everything. the rest is up to you. call now, request your free decision guide and start gathering the information you need to help you keep rolling with confidence. go long™. ♪
2:51 pm
won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
2:52 pm
president trump has been inviting the news media in for photo ops basking in the coverage, devouring news stories as he constantly insults the media as dishonest. brian todd has been looking into of this for us. what are you learning, brian? >> wolf, donald trump's combative relationship with the media has not slowed down during his first days in the white house, but tonight, we've got new details on how the president obsessively watches tv news. reads mainstream and tabloid papers. and often feels the need to respond, sometimes im s immedia to what they say about him. >> we want to build the pipe. >> reporter: a carefully crafted photo op, to mark his executive action on the keystone and dakota access pipelines. leveraging the media to push the trump presidential brand. for a man who loves to project
2:53 pm
an adversarial relationship with the media -- >> i always call them the dishonest media. >> reporter: -- donald trump is still said to be obsessed with the media and a voracious consumer of it. >> he's a big consumer of the new york city newspapers, the tabloids especially, he likes to read in print, not online. he gets a printout every day, a stack of printouts of stories about himself. that his staff puts together from the major newspapers and from tv as well. he watches tv constantly. >> reporter: so-called old-school media said to be trump's favorites. a trump friend tells cnn his office at trump tower has always been piled high with newspapers, magazines. he's said to pore over "the new york times," a paper that today ran the headline, "trump repeats an election lie." friends and on serbservers says loves to watch traditional tv staples like cbs' " 60 minutes" and responds to realtime. >> dozens of times donald trump has seen something on cable news
2:54 pm
then reacted to it on twitter. >> reporter: last week trump apparently saw a report on nbc's "today" show that cast doubt on his jobs record, minutes later a tweet calling nbc news totally biased, fake news. he's known to call into the shows during breaks to respond to something he's seen on air on cnn and other networks. >> and i saw today that somebody on cnn -- >> reporter: trump's colorful history with the media has ventured from consumer to critic to master manipulator. >> well, handling pr because he gets so much of biographers say in the 19s 80s and 1990s, he would talk it them on phone, by sean barron. >> he gets called by everybody in the book. in terms of women. >> he didn't bother to disguise his voice. we got a hold of a recording of him making one of these calls.
2:55 pm
he sounds exactly like donald trump but he was offering the story behind the story about donald trump. and saying, you know, you aught to go to this club and you'll see donald trump with the hot models of the day. >> reporter: now, a clear sign that trump is obsessed with the media and controlling how he is perceived, his hiring of steve bannon as one of his closest advisers. bannon once ran the conservative news website, breitbart. in fact, just today, cnn is reporting that two former breitbart staffers have also been added to the president's team. one being named a special assistant to the president. wolf? >> all right. brian, thank you. brian todd reporting. coming up, our breaking news, president trump repeats his claim that he lost the popular vote because millions of people voted illegally. but the white house offers no evidence of that thoroughly debunked contention. he believes what he believes based on the information he's been provided. yes, ma'am? >> what does that mean for democracy, sean? >> ma'am?
2:56 pm
>> what does that mean for democracy? >> it means i've answered your question. >> have you? business was doing... ...so he got quickbooks. it organizes all his accounts, so he knows where he stands. ahhh...that's a profit. way to grow, rodney! visit quickbooks.com.
2:57 pm
won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back
2:58 pm
including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
2:59 pm
anything with a screen is a tv. stream 130 live channels, plus 40,000 on demand tv shows and movies, all on the go.
3:00 pm
you can even download from your x1 dvr and watch it offline. only xfinity gives you more to stream to any screen. download the xfinity tv app today. happening now, breaking news. questioning democracy. the white house says president trump believes millions of votes were cast illegally in the presidential election that propelled him into the oval office. so what proof does he have? hill climb. some trump nominees are being bogged down in confirmation battles, while others are saling through with ease. why are others delaying a vote on trump's attorney general nominee? what's next, after a huge worldwide demonstration, organizers of the women's march are working to

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on