Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  March 28, 2012 1:00pm-3:00pm EDT

1:00 pm
become the victim when, in fact, trayvon is the victim. trayvon's family is the victim. we have a dead 17-year-old son that life will never be replaced. >> trayvon martin was wearing a hoodie when he was killed. it has become a symbol of the case, and this morning illinois representative bobby rush was reprimanded for wearing one on the house floor. the video is going viral. here it is. >> on quasiofficial clothes. racial profiling has to stop, mr. speaker. just because someone wears a hoodie does not make them a hoodlum. the bible teaches us, mr. speaker, in the book of michael db. >> the member will suspend. the member will suspend. >> these words, he has shown
1:01 pm
you -- >> the member will suspend. the chair must remind members of clause 5 of rule 17. >> -- what you do justly as you love mercy, as you walk humbly with your god, and in the new testament -- >> i have to tell you this, i can't wait for this conversation that's coming up in about 30 minutes here on cnn because representative bobby rush will join me to talk about that speech and that moment. make sure you stay tuned. newt gingrich lays off a third of his staff and replaces his campaign manager, but gingrich says that's not a sign he is dropping out of the presidential race. the campaign says it's just a response to financial realities. gingrich vows to stay in the race until the republican convention. we're going it talk with his campaign chief of staff. can't wait for that interview, live this hour as well. a jetblue captain has now been suspended after this bizarre rant. >> i am so distraught.
1:02 pm
>> his actions force the co-pilot of the plane bound for las vegas to make an emergency landing in taction. jetblue's ceo says a, quote, medical condition led to the incident. that captain, shown here, was removed from the plane and is currently receiving medical care while in fbi custody. he has now been suspended. the federal charges -- no federal charges have been filed. pope benedict xvi celebrated mass today in cuba. thousands attended including raul castro. fidel castro has asked for a private meeting with the pope but it's unclear if that will happen. the pope earlier said the come mist nation is in need of change. if you play the lottery, you know it is a very big day, very big day for mega millions. the jackpot rolled over again last night again. it is now a record $500 million.
1:03 pm
the largest in the history of the game. tickets are sold in 42 states and the district of columbia. so what are your chances of winning the big jackpot? 1 in 176 million. good luck. the supreme court is wrapping up its third and final day of hearings on the fate of the sweeping health care reform law. arguments are getting under way right now on expanding medicare and what it means for the state, medicaid, and what it means for the states. earlier today the issue was whether the fate of the law hinges on the individual mandate, the requirement that almost everyone have health insurance. the affordable care act as we have said would expand medicaid adding millions more. our senior medical correspondent elizabeth cohen is here to talk about that. how does this new health care law expand medicaid? >> it's interesting, this is a part of the law that i think has been overlooked to some extent. everyone has talked so much about the exchanges and what
1:04 pm
not. it would be the largest medicaid expansion since medicaid came about, so let's take a look at how it would expand made kad. it does it a couple different ways. first of all, what it does is it changes the income requirement. so let's take a look at the foster family. these are my imaginary friends, i bring them along every so often. these are the fast food fosters. now, in order for the parents to get on medicaid, their income has to be below about $23,000. after health care reform, if it goes through, which is looking i guess more and more doubtful, they would have to make less than $31,000. so that's a big difference. the big difference between making $31,000 and making $23,000. so you can see that would add on many, many more families if health care reform comes to pass. >> those are the changes for income. what about other changes? >> it's interesting. a lot of people don't know when you're single, you cannot automatically get on medicaid, even if you're very low income. if you're single, you can't just
1:05 pm
get on it. let's take a look at seamstress sally. she earns $154.15. that's low, but she cannot get on medicaid right now because she's not pregnant, she doesn't have kids, doesn't have a family. if health care reform -- if it comes to pass, if the supreme court doesn't get rid of it, she can get on medicaid. >> that would be 2014 when all of this goes into effect. >> several years from now, right. >> in full. how many more people will be covered with medicaid if the reform law stands? >> 17 million. >> wow. >> 17 million more people will get on medicaid and, don, medicaid will become the second biggest way that people get their health insurance, employers will be number one as the source of health insurance. medicaid will become number two because it's a 44% increase of the number of people on medicaid. that's huge. >> everyone i have spoken to on the air and i have heard off the air, as a matter of fact, say
1:06 pm
they're looking at this as a dom ni effe -- domino effect. >> to recap what the individual mandate is, that's the part of the law that says you, nearly every american, has to buy health insurance, even if you don't want, it you have to buy it. if the supreme court says that's not constitutional, guys, you can't do that, it may be that the whole law just ends up in the garbage can. that's possible. it may be that parts of the law end up in the garbage can. it may be that only the individual mandate goes away and the rest of the law stands. that's what the supreme court is deciding, and as we speak, they're debating the medicaid part of it because it is such a major part of health care reform. >> i tell you, jeffrey toobin, he said it didn't sound good -- >> that's -- >> the whole kit and caboodle. >> he just said on air that medicare expansion could go away. >> thank you, elizabeth cohen. we appreciate it. want to give you a rundown of some of the stories we're covering for you in the next hour. first, we're learning more and
1:07 pm
more about the death of trayvon martin and about the man who pulled the trigger. i'm going to talk to a lawmaker who is refusing to be silenced, and representative bobby rush isn't afraid to wear his hoodie on the house floor either. and later it is a landmark case that we have been talking about here, and health care for millions of uninsured people hangs in the balance. then chaos at 35,000 feet when a pilot's femeltdown force passengers to spring into action. [ male announcer ] if your kid can recognize your sneeze from a crowd... you're probably muddling through allergies. try zyrtec® for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec® is different than claritin® because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. zyrtec®. love the air. have 46 grams of whole grains... mmmm. ...and a touch of sweetness.
1:08 pm
you'll be delighted to discover how good they taste. here's a chance to create jobs in america. oil sands projects, like kearl, and the keystone pipeline will provide secure and reliable energy to the united states. over the coming years, projects like these could create more than half a million jobs in the us alone. from the canadian border, through the mid west, to the gulf coast. benefiting hundreds of thousands of families throughout the country. this is just what our economy needs right now.
1:09 pm
1:10 pm
the more that is learned about the killing of trayvon martin, the more complicated the case becomes. several reports now say police considered homicide and manslaughter charges against george zimmerman on the night he killed the unarmed teenager. but the state attorneys office said no. martin savidge is in sanford, florida, following up on all of this for us. that was where trayvon martin, of course, was killed. what is the reaction in the community now, martin? >> reporter: well, there has been a lot of reaction to this latest turn of events. we should point out that this information regarding negligent homicide charges and possible manslaughter charges actually dates back to the night of the initial event, that's february 26th. cnn has a copy of the initial police report, and it's listed right there when you look at the document, and it says quite plainly negligent homicide and manslaughter. however, it should be point the out that that was the desire of the lead investigator, but as you point out, he was overruled as a result of the state attorney. here is the reason why, has to do with florida's stand your
1:11 pm
ground law. the law says it expressly prohibits police from arresting someone who had unreasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm. this is what authorities have been saying. once george zimmerman claimed he shoot trayvon martin in self-defense, it changed everything under that florida law. even though the lead investigator that night wanted to charge him, he was overruled because the state attorney said you cannot. this stand your ground law says you cannot. it doesn't mean it's all over. the investigation continues, just makes it a harder investigation for authorities. so that's where it stands now. >> this is -- it's all part of the unfolding case. i understand you were able to reach out to the funeral home that handled trayvon martin's body. did they have any insight into his wounds, the wounds that he received? >> reporter: right. this is, of course, very important for the understanding of how severe was the conflict that george zimmerman describes, was there really this life and death struggle that he has
1:12 pm
outlined, and what kind of wound. all of this information is key to the investigation. authorities have not released any of it, so that's why we reached out to the funeral home. we wanted to find out -- george zimmerman says he suffered blows to the face, the back of the head. the funeral director who handled trayvon's body says there was no indication of trauma like that to the young man. we asked about the bullet wound. trayvon martin had undergone an autopsy. as a result of that autopsy, it was not possible to discern where there was an entry or exit wound as a result of a gunshot. so there was not a lot of information gleaned, but some insight, and right now any insight when there happens to be this dearth of information is helpful. >> martin savidge, thank you very much. stand by. you're going to be busy for quite some time there in florida with this case. we have something just into cnn regarding the health care debate going on at the supreme court right now. and this is in response to paul clement, the lawyer for the
1:13 pm
state opposing the individual mandate. this is sonia sotomayor speaking today. listen. >> why should we be striking down a cost-saver when if what your argument is was that congress was concerned about costs rising? why should we assume they wouldn't have passed that information? >> i think a couple things. i would think you sort of have to take the bitter with the sweet. if you're going to look at congress' goal of providing patient protection but also affordable care, we can't -- i don't think it works to just take the things that save money and cut out the things that are going to make premiums more expense -- >> i just want to bottom line this, why don't we let congress fix it? >> let me answer the bottom line question, no matter what you do, if you strike down the mandate, there's going to be something for congress to do. the question is really what task do you want to give congress?
1:14 pm
>> okay. after a quick break though, we're going to hear from antonin scalia as well. in the meantime, we're going to talk some politics here. after slashing his staff, everyone wants to know if newt gingrich is signaling the end is near. i'm going to ask his chief of staff about it coming up. one of the best things about state farm is our accessibility. oh, yeah? [ chris ] you can call us 24-7, get quotes online, start a claim with our smartphone app. you name it, we're here, anytime, anywhere, any way you want it. that's the way i need it. any way you want it. [ man ] all night? all night. every night? any way you want it. that's the way i need it.
1:15 pm
we just had ourselves a little journey moment there. yep. [ man ] saw 'em in '83 in fresno. place was crawling with chicks. i got to go. ♪ any way you want it ♪ that's the way you need it ♪ any way you want it ♪ hanging over us. hindering economic growth. it's time for some common sense -- people in congress who'll come together and put partisan politics aside. not with radical schemes that gamble with america's future. but with a plan that requires washington to balance the budget the right way -- protecting the priorities of america's families. tell congress to pass a common sense balanced budget -- now. sign the petition at center-forward.org. have 46 grams of whole grains... mmmm. ...and a touch of sweetness. you'll be delighted to discover how good they taste.
1:16 pm
metamucil uses super hard working psyllium fiber, which gels to remove unsexy waste and reduce cholesterol. taking psyllium fiber won't make you a model but you should feel a little more super. metamucil. down with cholesterol. [ male announcer ] brake problems? stop in to meineke today for a free brake inspection and you'll say... my money. my choice. my meineke. newt gingrich's campaign says it is facing financial realities. gingrich has cut his staff by a third, but he says he's not dropping out of the race. joining us from washington is gingrich's steve of staff, patrick milsap. thank you for joining us. he calls it down sizing in order to stay in the race, but realistically, realistically can he continue to campaign if the
1:17 pm
money isn't coming in? >> well, it's all about campaigning at the level the money is coming in. we have plenty of people going to newt.org and donating to the campaign, and so like many businesses in america we have to look at what we can afford to do. look, this is going to be -- it's now clear that neither romney nor santorum nor us is going to get to 1144, which means we are headed headlong into one of the most interesting, open conventions in -- >> let's not get ahead of ourselves. let's just be honest. the odds are that mitt romney or rick santorum, it's really not in santorum's favor either, the odds are romney will get there before any of the other. the math is not there for newt gingrich. to say that the money is coming in at some level, it's not coming in enough for him not to have to pull back. what is it?
1:18 pm
>> let's start with the first part of your question. to say that the reality is that mitt romney is probably going to get to 1,144, i would not be putting money on the odds in anything in this race. this race has had eight or nine front-runne front-runne front-runners. anything that could have happened, has happened. so to try to cite to conventional wisdom i think is a dangerous thing to do. so as long as we are focused on how we can get to tampa and the manner we can get to tampa, that's what we're going to do. if mitt romney gets to 1,1044, and it's unlikely he do, we will support him at the nominee. if not, we will be at the convention along with senator santorum and mitt romney. >> the money part where you said the money is coming in at some levels but it's not enough for him not to have to scale back on his staff. >> well, i mean, there's a report earlier that i think mitt
1:19 pm
romney has 100 staffers. we were somewhere in the middle and rick santorum has i think five full-time staff. that's something when you adjust your strategy, you adjust your staff accordingly. that's just the reality of when you change your game plan. sometimes you change your staff. >> okay. let's talk about this new poll. 60% of republicans surveyed say gingrich should drop out of the race. is that a sign to you that the party is ready to rally around the front-runner which is mitt romney at this point? >> again, the premise of the question is that mitt romney is a foregone front-runner. if he's a front-runner, he's a weak front-runner. the other part of that poll is 43% of the party would like to see this go to the convention. and i don't know how many people are in that poll are polled from delaware and maryland and wisconsin. people who have not had a chance to participate in the primary process yet. i think they deserve a chance to
1:20 pm
distinguish themselves or vote for who they want to carry their conservative mantle in this race. >> okay. >> this is a state-by-state deal and we were up in maryland and delaware the past two days and the party was ecstatic to be a part of the process. they're growing their parties. the base is becoming excited. they're being part of the conversation. this is a good thing for the republican party. >> okay. so i don't want to misquote you. did you say you were on your way you believe to a contested convention? >> well, if there is not a front-runner -- i'm sorry, if there's not a candidate that gets 1,144 delegates, then it's an open convention and after the first vote it's a jump ball. >> that's what i want to ask you though. gingrich has said that he would drop out if romney gets enough delegates to clinch the nomination before the convention. >> and support him. >> you believe it's a foregone conclusion he's not going to do it, but will he stand by that? >> yes. once you get to 1,144, he becomes the nominee, and we will
1:21 pm
support our nominee to do the ultimate goal and beat barack obama. and that is the ultimate goal. i think the things that we are doing are leading to that ultimate goal by making all of our candidates stronger and by debating the president, a president who is willing to make a political deal with the president of russia when he didn't know the mike was on. >> mr. milsapps, mr. gingrich is a seasoned veteran when it comes to politics and i would imagine you are as well and you have to be realistic about this. >> yeah. >> by staying in the race, what is he hoping to accomplish? i'm just being honest, besides beating up on the eventual front-runner so badly that it makes him look bad in the general election or what is he hoping to accomplish because from convention wisdom you don't believe in it, you said, that's what it appears by all accounts that he's doing. >> well, he's giving the voters of maryland and delaware and wisconsin an option. that's number one. number two, you know, i don't
1:22 pm
think like for instance rick santorum has been fully vetted. your earlier segment on the supreme court where justice sotomayor was asking why shouldn't congress fix this, one of the things that should be pointed out is senator santorum voted for her confirmation as a u.s. district judge. that's something that needs to be part of this debate. >> i understand that, but when it comes down to the reality on the campaign trail, it's not at this point -- it's not playing out on the campaign trail what you're saying. you're giving me rhetoric about why rick santorum should not be the nominee, mitt romney, but the numbers are not there for newt gingrich. that's the reality of it. surely you can see it. >> the number that is important is 1,144. nobody has that yet. the moment they do they become the nominee. if they don't get to 1,144 we will have one of the most fascinating, most well-watched
1:23 pm
republican conventions in a generation. >> i do not disagree with you on that. patrick milsapps, thank you. >> thank you for having me. a pilot's meltdown forces passengers to take action at 35,000 feet. we'll get the details on the jetblue in-flight freakout coming up. and she suggested i try boost complete nutritional drink to help get the nutrition i was missing. now i drink it every day and i love the great taste. [ female announcer ] boost has 26 essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium and vitamin d to help keep bones strong and 10 grams of protein to help maintain muscle. and our great taste is guaranteed or your money back. learn more at boost.com. [ dad ] i choose great taste. i choose boost.
1:24 pm
1:25 pm
a rundown of some of the stories we're working on for you. trayvon martin's death is sparking some difficult conversations about race and justice in america, and one lawmaker is refusing to stay quiet about it. then a pilot's meltdown sends passengers into action at 35,000 feet. and later a tweet by spike lee forces an elderly couple out
1:26 pm
of their home. we've got to get this plane down. that was a quote, we've got to get this plane down. chilling words there a jetblue captain whose behavior sparked in-flight chaos and cnn can confirm he has been suspended. jetblue's ceo is praising the passengers and crew for bringing the situation under control. >> that individual action, really the follow-up of the crew, and then the customers. as tony and lori mentioned, that's a true team effort. that's what takes place day in and day out. it's not so much one individual's action. >> want to bring in aviation and regulation correspondent lizzie o'leary. lizzie, i can't imagine being on that flight and i i'm sure most people can't, how horrific to be there. there are new details emerging about the pilot. what have you found out? >> reporter: we know he's been suspended. there is an investigation going on right now, don, and that's being looked at at the federal
1:27 pm
level by the fbi, faa, and local authorities. the plain wne was diverted to t and he's been under medical care there. he's been identified as clayton osbin. the ceo said he knew this man personally, had never seen any behavior like that before. there is one thing that i think is important to note is the way that jetblue was characterizing this has shifted a little bit. initially they were saying this was a medical incident. that's how the co-pilot referred to to air-traffic controllers when the plane was coming in to land in amarillo, and today they are saying it was both a medical situation and a security situation. and that gives you a little bit of a sense of how this is shifting and probably reflects the fact that an investigation is ongoing. >> yeah. and as you were speaking there, we saw the video of the passengers having to react there on the plane, and they stepped
1:28 pm
into action. they are being praised now. >> they are being praised, and one of the questions that i have been asking jetblue is sort of was this enough? should passengers be put in this position? they said their flight crews are trained to handle a situation like this, but their flight crews are also trained to ask passengers for help should they feel they need it. that that is part of the way their crews are trained to deal with it. in this situation the captain was a big guy, around 64'3" and it took several passengers e sin -- essentially sitting on him while the plane defended to texas. a school cafeteria lunch lady and her husband got hate mail and were hounded by reporters thanks to director spike lee. we're going to tell you why.
1:29 pm
1:30 pm
1:31 pm
the constitutionality of the
1:32 pm
affordable care act, parts of it, the entire thing being debated now by the supreme court. an interesting exchange between antonin scalia, elena kagan, sonia sotomayor, and one of the attorneys presenting the case in front of the supreme court. take a listen. >> you really want us to go through these 2,700 pages, and do you really expect a court to do that? or do you expect us to give this tucks to o function to our law clerks? is this not totally unrealistic that we are going to go through this item by item and decide each one? >> well -- >> you don't have to because -- >> that is correct, and i'd also like -- i just wanted to finish the thought i had about this being a matter of statutory interpretation. the court's task we submit is
1:33 pm
not to look at the legislative process to see whether the bill would have passed or not based on the political situation at the time, which would basically convert the court into a function such as a whip count -- >> and mr. kneedler, that would be a revolution in our severability law, wouldn't it? we've never suggested we're going to say, look, this legislation was a brokered compromise and we're going to try to figure out exactly what would have happened in the complex parliamentary shenanigans that go on across the street and figure out whether they would have made a difference. instead, we look at the text that's actually given us. for some people we look only at the text. should be easy for justice scalia's clerks. >> she just said complex parliamentary shenanigans that go on across the skretreet? >> very interesting. we'll keep you posted. the shooting of trayvon
1:34 pm
martin has captured the attention of people all across the nation including celebrities, but a move by film director spike lee reportedly has one florida group living in fear. one florida couple i should say living in fear. according to "the hollywood reporter" lee wrongly retweeted the address of the couple as george zimmerman's. nischelle turner live in los angeles with the detail. okay. so what happened? >> reporter: well, a lot apparently, don, but what seems to have happened is spike passed along information without checking it out. now, as you said, he retweeted a message with what he thought was george zimmerman's address. well, the smoking gun says the house actually belongs to an elderly couple in their 70s, elaine and david mclean. elaine reportedly has a son from a previous marriage who is named william george zimmerman. so it looks like someone found that out and assumed it was george zimmerman. now, spike has removed his
1:35 pm
tweet, but the damage has already been done. the couple have reportedly felt threatened enough to leave their home, and if you look in some of the twitter traffic around this, you can certainly understand their fears. it's pretty nasty, but, don, the bigger question may be here, even if that information was true, why would you send that out? why would you retweet it? >> yeah. yeah. all right. >> reporter: it's someone's address. >> i know, i know, i know. let's move on now and talk about jane fonda as nancy reagan. so tell me, what are you hearing about jane fonda possibly taking on the role of the former first la lady? >> reporter: this could happen. it could very well happen. "showbiz tonight" has confirmed jane fonda is in talks to play nancy reagan in the upcoming film "butler." it's based on the real life of eugene allen. he worked on the white house staff from 1952 to 1986. jane fonda is very active with a lot of liberal causes. that makes a lot of conservatives kind of upset
1:36 pm
about this. they say hanoi jane has no business playing nancy reagan. on the other hand, if you need a fantastic actress to play this kind of role, jane fonda may be the perfect casting. considering the other names attached to the project, forest whitaker, mila kunis, liam neeson as lb j, john cusack as nixon and oprah playing eugene allen's wife. amazing cast, right? it really shouldn't matter what an actresses political affiliations are, right? she is an actress, that is her job, to act. >> you are an actor, actress. thank you very much nischelle turner. appreciate it. >> all right, don. want more information on everything breaking in the entertain am world, check out "showbiz tonight" at 11:00 eastern right here on hln. okay. there we go. that's a congressman, by the way, on the house floor.
1:37 pm
not afraid to wear his hoodie where he works. i'm going to talk to this lawmaker who is refusing to be silenced. that's logistics. ♪ ♪ chips from here, boards from there track it all through the air, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ clearing customs like that hurry up no time flat that's logistics. ♪ ♪ all new technology ups brings to me, that's logistics. ♪
1:38 pm
1:39 pm
two people are dead and 28 homes destroyed as a wildfire continues to burn near denver. meteorologist jacqui jeras is here now. we're hearing about high winds and dry conditions hurting the firefighting efforts there. >> it's all of those things. the humidity is going to be dropping and the winds are going
1:40 pm
to be increasing and that's going to make it more difficult. the terrain has been an issue as well because this is steep, up at about 8,000 feet in elevation. you've got a lot of shrubs, a lot of dried trees, and a lot of those dry grasses. all of those things acting together to fuel it and this is literally 0% contained right now. keep in mind when we talk about containment, we're talking about building a fire line surrounding that main line where it's advancing to try to protect those areas. they have been working on structures and work on getting some of this containment. you have the national guard up with two blackhawk choppers dropping water and retardant. >> imagine that was once someone's home, and 28 of them gone. >> 28. two people have been killed, one person reportedly missing. no rain in the forecast. winds up to 20 miles per hour. hopefully they'll be able to make a little bit of progress on this this afternoon.
1:41 pm
>> so sad. okay, we hope they are. all right. thank you. >> sure. when we come back, you saw the video of the congressman on the house floor wearing a hoodie in tribute to trayvon martin. that congressman is bobby rush. he's going to join me live in just moments. you do not want to miss that conversation. named a 2012 iihs top safety pick. not that we'd ever brag about it. turn right. come on, nine. turn left. hit the brakes. huh? how'd that get there? [ male announcer ] we can't hide how proud we are to have nine top safety picks like the passat and jetta. so we're celebrating with our "safety in numbers" event. that's the power of german engineering. right now lease the 2012 jetta for $159 a month. ♪ home was an airport lounge and an ipad ♪ ♪ made sure his credit score did not go bad ♪ ♪ with a free-credit-score-dot-com ♪
1:42 pm
♪ app that he had ♪ downloaded it in the himalayas ♪ ♪ while meditating like a true playa ♪ ♪ now when he's surfing down in chile'a ♪ ♪ he can see when his score is in danger ♪ ♪ if you're a mobile type on the go ♪ ♪ i suggest you take a tip from my bro ♪ ♪ and download the app that lets you know ♪ ♪ at free-credit-score-dot-com now let's go. ♪ vo: offer applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com™. until the end of the quarter to think about your money... ♪ ...that right now, you want to know where you are,
1:43 pm
and where you'd like to be. we know you'd like to see the same information your advisor does so you can get a deeper understanding of what's going on with your portfolio. we know all this because we asked you, and what we heard helped us create pnc wealth insight, a smarter way to work with your pnc advisor, so you can make better decisions and live achievement. woman: what do you mean, homeowners insurance doesn't cover floods? [ heart rate increases ]
1:44 pm
man: a few inches of water caused all this? [ heart rate increases ] woman #2: but i don't even live near the water. what you don't know about flood insurance may shock you -- including the fact that a preferred risk policy starts as low as $129 a year. for an agent, call the number that appears on your screen. the supreme court is hearing arguments for a third day on the constitutionality of the president's health care law. if the law is thrown out, what will that mean for the 52 million people who don't have any health insurance right now? joining mow now is the co-president of the children's health fund, he's also on the national commission on children and disasters. doctor, thank you so much. we know that the mandate that all americans have health care coverage doesn't go into effect until 2014, but some parts of the bill are already in effect.
1:45 pm
so what will happen if the supreme court throws out the president's bill? how will families be affected immediately? >> we're very concerned about the stability of this bill right now. this goes beyond the legalities and the discussions happening in the supreme court that all the attention is focused on. the problem is we have at least another 4 million to 5 million children who will be insured under the affordable care act provisions. we have the elimination right now of pre-existing conditions as a barrier to getting care, and we have the promise over the next few years of much more improved access for children and other vulnerable populations because the bill also includes expansion of community health centers of doctors being placed in underserved communities and so forth. what's at stake for children is something that's extremely important to the current health status of children and their future prospects. we're deeply concerned that
1:46 pm
anything that might occur in terms of a supreme court decision to disrupt what's now on the road to getting fully implemented would be a very dangerous idea from the perspective of what children need. >> you said currently now. what about long term? what will happen if americans aren't required to have health insurance beginning in 2014? >> well, if we don't have the requirement for health insurance, it's hard to see how we're going to get any kind of reasonable reforms of the health insurance industry, and everything is sort of coupled together at this point, don, and that's what really we're concerned about. for example, if we say to the insurance companies, you can't have the elimination of potential customers because of a pre-existing medical condition, that means the insurance company system begins to fall apart and even fewer will be insured because they won't have the benefit of having an expanded market to including everybody including the people without
1:47 pm
pre-existing conditions. it fits together in an intricate puzzle, and i think the supreme court has to pay attention to the consequences for americans if, in fact, this bill is somehow undermined by a supreme court decision coming out in the next couple months. >> do you see any other way to make sure children and low income people get the coverage they need without requiring all americans to have insurance? >> you know, it's interesting you ask that. if it was up to me, i'd simply make access to health care the right of every single child in america. you know, you're born and you automatically are in a health care system. whether that's in the private sector or we develop new ways of creating the public systems that we really do need, whatever we do, i think we really have to pay attention to children who are really pretty powerless in the political dynamic that's going on right now. but at the end of the day, let's say everything fell apart, we would come back hard. we, the children's advocacy
1:48 pm
community, and say let's at least make sure there is no child in america that doesn't have access toealth care. there are some fairly simple ways of doing it. we've had a good start with programs like medicaid and the child health insurance program or c.h.i.p. these programs could be expanded but we really do need to pay attention to this. >> there are some practicing physicians who oppose the bill saying it will make it or expensive for them to practice medicine. why are some doctors against it? >> i think they're against it ideologically because they don't believe the federal government has a role in this and right now the it doctors are concerned that the rei am reimbursement so low that that needs to be addressed. they need to make it equal payments for children under medicaid as they are for a
1:49 pm
senior's health care under medicare. just another issue that i think we can address if we go ahead and implement the affordable care act that will make a lot more doctors significantly more comfortable with what's in store. >> all right, thank you dr. redlene reshg, we appreciate it. >> thank you, don. >> a congressman isn't afraid to wear his hoodie on the house floor. i will talk to this lawmaker who is refusing to be silenced. yeah, do you have anything for a headache... like excedrin, ohhh, bayer aspirin... ohh, no no no. i'm not having a heart attack, it's my head. no, bayer advanced aspirin, this is made for pain. [ male announcer ] bayer advanced aspirin has microparticles, enters the bloodstream fast, and safely rushes extra strength relief to the sight of your tough pain. feel better? yeah...thanks for the tip! [ male announcer ] for fast powerful pain relief, use bayer advanced aspirin. do about medicare and social security... security. that's what matters to me...
1:50 pm
me? i've been paying in all these years... years washington's been talking at us, but they never really listen... listen...it's not just some line item on a budget; it's what i'll have to live on... i live on branson street, and i have something to say... [ male announcer ] aarp is bringing the conversation on medicare and social security out from behind closed doors in washington. because you've earned a say.
1:51 pm
1:52 pm
a. >> this video is going viral right now. it's bobry rush speak on the house floor. >> racial profiling has to stop, mr. speaker. just because someone wears a hoodie does not make them a hoodlum. the bible teaches us, mr. speaker in elijah -- >> the member will suspend -- >> these words -- >> the member will suspend. >> these words, he has shown you a man what is good. >> the contrary must remind you of rule 17. you're out of order. >> allow mercy and walk humbly with your god.
1:53 pm
>> okay, so the congressman was kicked out of house chamber for hearing that hoodie. he joins us from political. congressman, we just heard from house majority leader, nancy pelosi reacting to your speech. before i speak with you, i want you to listen to it and get your reaction. here it is. a. >> some of the language used on the floor to undermine the security of our seniors, education of our children, the protection of our neighborhoods, the health, the strength of our environment and the rest, then i am about what somebody is wear on the floor. when i first came here 25 years ago, did you not remember i'm observing my 25th anniversary. did i say that yet today? women could not wear pantsuits on the floor. that was a violation of decorum. it wasn't until a number of years later that we were allowed to do that. but again, i'm more concerned
1:54 pm
about actions taken, words spoken and the impact on the american people than whether somebody has a hoodie or not. >> okay. so there is the former speaker standing up for you. your reaction to that, and the bigger question is why did you decide to wear a hood dee, you're wearing one now. >> well, i just wanted to express, don, and thank you so much for allowing me this opportunity. i just wanted to express that a hoodie is nothing but a piece of clothing. i'm glad that the speaker said what she said about women not being able to wear pants. it's nothing but clothing. it has nothing to do with character. but trayvon martin lies dead, partially because he was a black man wearing a hoodie in a white neighborhood. shot in the head. something is wrong with that. the assail lapt has not been charged. something is wrong with that.
1:55 pm
the police let him go scot-free. something is wrong with that. this is a mere example, protest about the failure of the judicial system as it relates to african-american males and the clothing they wear. their life is much more than a piece of loathing. and we can't lie down and accept murder because someone wears a hood. a hood is nothing but a piece of clothing. >> congressman, i know you're impassioned by this. and i'm a former resident of chicago. you're there in illinois. you know what happens in chicago, a lot of it happens on
1:56 pm
the south side of chicago, gang members, african-americans, people kill each other all the time. i'm talking about your specific area, this is something that's close to you because so many people have died. and you know them and their families come to you and you have to deal with it. and this is something very personal to you. i want you to tell our viewers why. >> my son in 1999 was shot down in the streets. since i've been a member of congress, i railed against the nra, the national rifle association, i introduced legislation to register handguns, to license handguns. i tell you, if we, if you have to have a vin number for an automobile, a vehicle identification number, then why not have a gin number for all these guns, a gun identification number. i'm against this violence. all right?
1:57 pm
the agency will allow someone because they are a black male to be shot down in cold blooded in the back of the head on our streets, and they walk away scot-free. this is just not something that happened in florida. it happened in chicago a couple of years ago. where a man who walked into a drugstore, they said he stole tooth pait, a container of toothpaste and he ran out. the security guy chased him, who was not a police officer now. a security guard chased him, put him into a chokehold and he died. killed him right there. and he still has not been charged.
1:58 pm
so this goes on and on and on, all my life. i have been dedicated, fought hard against police brutality and police murder and the willful nonpretension that young black man -- and i'm not excusing those who are criminals, those who are real hoodlums, but just because you wear a hood, a hoodie don't make you a hoodlum. >> congressman, i want to jump in now and i want you to hear this. this is sabrina fulton, trayvon martin's mother talking about you. >> this just shows the passion of what's going on with trayvon martin. it also shows that some people don't quite get it. they don't quite understand. it's almost like they're an
1:59 pm
ostrich, they have their head buried in the sand then a they don't quite understand what's going on. >> the parents of trayvon martin speaking out about your reactions. i have just a short time to go. what do you say about that? >> let me just say, this family lost a son but they have gained a whole generation of children who are now protesting in the streets, walking in the schools. they're doing what they need to do in order to make their voices heard because they do not want to be the next trayvon martin. >> what are you doing next for this? >> we are trying to get the word out. this is just the beginning. >> congressman bobby rush. thank you for coming on and pouring your heart out.
2:00 pm
interesting. brooke, take it away. >> don lemon, i would. fascinating interview there. and hello. i'm brooke baldwin here. we begin with "rapid fire." roll it. we're talking about the law overhauling the nation's health care. today's focus, the domino effect. if this provision requiring just about everyone to carry health insurance, if that is struck down, should that invalidate the rest of the law with its 450 provisions? the justices are also examining if federal government can force states to add to their medicaid costs. we'll get a live report for you in a matter of minutes. also a hunl endorsement coming tomorrow for republican presidential front-runner mitt romney. former president george h.w. bush, shown here, getting the medal of freedom, scheduled to announce his support.
2:01 pm
you know former first lady barbara bush has already made robo calls for the former massachusetts governor. no announcement yet from the other former president bush. also this -- 15 syrians killed today as the government's army continues to shell its own people. about 10,000 syrians have died since the uprising began. and john mccain has now unveiled this resolution that's calling for and to the slaughter. >> how many have to die? how many have to die before the united states will take a leadership role in trying to end the mass slaughter. people in syria need to know we in america are on their side. it matters to them. it matters to them. >> the resolution condemns syria's government and supports the right of syrians to defend themselves.
2:02 pm
meantime, top u.s. and pakistani generals met for the very first time today since nato air strikes killed 24 pakistani soldiers back in november. anti-u.s. protesters seen here are a sign of pakistan's tenuous relationship with the united states. the air strikes and earlier raid on osama bin laden's compound are big factors in that. the generals now are just trying to determine what went wrong during those air strikes. and a texas woman who killed her five children is seeking her freedom two hours a week so she can go to church. talking about andrea yates. do you remember this story? she drowned her children in a bathtub ten years ago now. her attorney says he believes she's been ready for years to live on her job, live on her home and a church pass would be the first step. she's currently confined to a state psychiatric hospital. and it is the most anyone has ever paid sfr a pro sports franchise in our nation's history.
2:03 pm
i'm talking $2 billion for the l.a. dodgers. the group includes former nba superstar, magic johnson. a federal court has to approve the sale. and prince harry moving right next door to brother will and wife kate. the 27-year-old prince will live in a small apartment. apparently the brothers wanted to be close. >> talk to anyone who knows them, particularly aides who work with them, they will always say william and harry are fantastic on their own, but tour they're a real tour deforce. >> prince harry is third in line for the throne behind his dad and brother. and in new york state, my go goodne goodness, an embarrassing mistake for police. he just sat down for breakfast when officers burst through the door on a drug raid. only problem, oops, wrong house.
2:04 pm
it didn't stop them from detaining him for five frightening minutes before realizing the mix-up. >> they come through that door. >> police have since reimbursed skinner for damages to his front door. and that you can about a payday, how would you like to take home a cool $500 million this friday. you will have to fork over just a dollar for a lottery ticket to have that chance. the jackpot is now up to a whopping $500 million. that's the largest jackpot in u.s. history. speaking of u.s. history, our crews are going to rush out of the supreme court and tell us what happened inside. stay right there. ok! who gets occasional constipation,
2:05 pm
diarrhea, gas or bloating? get ahead of it! one phillips' colon health probiotic cap a day helps defend against digestive issues with three strains of good bacteria. hit me! [ female announcer ] live the regular life. phillips'. i worked at the colorado springs mail processing plant for 22 years. we processed on a given day about a million pieces of mail. checks, newspapers, bills. a lot of people get their medications only through the mail. small businesses depend on this processing plant. they want to shut down 3000 post offices, cut 100,000 jobs. they're gonna be putting people out of work everywhere. the american people depend on the postal service.
2:06 pm
at e-trade, our free online tools and retirement specialists can help you build a personalized plan and execute it with a wide range of low cost investments. get a great plan and low cost investments at e-trade.
2:07 pm
>> another last time the supreme court spent this much time hearing a case, that was 1954, brown versus board. just to show you how high the stakes are here in washington. so today's focus we're talking about this phrase, serability. what does that mean? if the part of the law that requires nearly every american to have health insurance is struck down with the next question is, can the rest of its 450 or so provisions still stand? can those pieces still survive? and these include, you know, rules many are take advantage of already right now. for example, free preventive care, insurance for patients with pre-existing conditions, insurance for college-aged children, covered under their parents' plan.
2:08 pm
et will's first hear a lit bit from some of the procedueding ts morning. this is exchange you're going to hear between several of the justices and one of the u.s. government attorneys. take a listen. >> you really want us to go through these 2,700 pages? and do you really expect a court to do that? or do you expect us to get this function to our law clerks? is this not totally unrealistic that we're going to go through this enormous bill item by item and decide each one? >> well -- >> you don't have to -- >> i would also like -- going -- i just wanted to finish the thought i had about this being a statutory sberp tigs. the court task is not to look through the legislative process to see if the bill would have passed or not based on the
2:09 pm
political situation at the time, which would basically convert the court into a function such as whip count. >> that would be a revolution in our severability law, wouldn't it? we never suggested that we're going to say look, this legislation was a brokered compromise and we're going to try to figure out exact ly what would have happened in the complex parliamentary sen nan gans that go on across the street and see if it would have made a direction. for us, we go over the text and just the text. it should be easy for justice scalia's clerks. '. >> a little humor from some of the justices inside the supreme court. keep in mind, inside the bill, 2,700 pages. the supreme court today is also looking at whether the federal government can force states to expand their medicaid costs
2:10 pm
which is also part of the affordable care act. 28 states say no, that's not eel. so we have, of course, jeff toobin inside the supreme court house. we're going to focus with you on this potential extension of medica medicaid, which would add 17 million more americans? >> it's huge. and to some extent it's been overlooked. this would be the biggest expansion of medicaid ever. it would increase the wranks by 44%. it would be such that medicaid would be the second most common way that people get insurance -- >> beyond an employer. >> exactly. this would be a big deal if the supreme court overturn this. it would be a big deal. i want to invite some of my imaginary friends to come talk with us and we will see them now. for example, the fast food foster family. right now the fosters are not eligible for medicaid because they would have to make less than $23,000 to be eligible for
2:11 pm
medicaid. however, health care reform would make it so they could made $ $31,809. that's a big difference. that goes from saying no to this family to saying yes. so 31,000 is a whole lot different than 23,000. >> what other changes could we see? >> you can't get on medicaid if you're a single person. you could earn $5 and you can't get on medicaid if you're a single person. let's take a look at seem stress sally. her income is really low, $15,415 a year. once health care reform does pass, she can get medicaid, even though she dpunt have a child or isn't pregnant. >> okay. so potential changes there. again, that's just one part of what they were talking about today.
2:12 pm
we have jeff toobin saying essentially, it was a train wreck and he didn't think it was likely for this thing to pass muster through these, you know, eight justices and the chief justice. so we're going to bring jeff toobin out, as soon as he can hustle out of there along with kate abaldwin and ask them how that went today. stay tuned. ♪ ( whirring and crackling sounds )
2:13 pm
man: assembly lines that fix themselves. the most innovative companies are doing things they never could before, by building on the cisco intelligent network.
2:14 pm
some sad news about the 4-year-old boy missing in arkansas. his body was found today in a river. he told his aunt he was going to
2:15 pm
walk up to a cabin at a boy scout camp, clearing out storm debris from this bridge. last night, rescue workers found two of his t-shirts right along the river, prompting a search of the river again today. and police say they do not suspect foul play. and, you know, we keep hearing about the race in -- about race specifically in the trayvon martin case. the teen is african-american, the shooter hispanic. both minorities. have some people rushed to make race the issue? i'm going to press this a little bit. our conversation is next. don't miss this. [ kate ] most women may not be properly absorbing
2:16 pm
the calcium they take because they don't take it with food. switch to citracal maximum plus d. it's the only calcium supplement that can be taken with or without food. that's why my doctor recommends citracal maximum. it's all about absorption. that's why my doctor recommends citracal maximum. ♪ when your chain of supply goes from here to shanghai, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ chips from here, boards from there track it all through the air, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ clearing customs like that hurry up no time flat that's logistics. ♪ ♪ all new technology ups brings to me, that's logistics. ♪
2:17 pm
two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy. hanging over us. hindering economic growth. it's time for some common sense -- people in congress who'll come together and put partisan politics aside. not with radical schemes that gamble with america's future. but with a plan that requires washington to balance the budget the right way -- protecting the priorities of america's families. tell congress to pass a common sense balanced budget -- now. sign the petition at center-forward.org. have 46 grams of whole grains... mmmm.
2:18 pm
...and a touch of sweetness. you'll be delighted to discover how good they taste. >>ite turns out police wanted to
2:19 pm
arrest the shooter, george zimmerman, but the state attorney general told them they needed more evidence. this is according to the repor s s. zimmerman is a neighborhood watch captain who thought martin looked suspicious when he saw him walking out on the night of february 26. so what did he do? he followed him and moments later, martin was dead from a gunshot. now zimmerman says he shot him in self-defense, though martin was not armed. his lawyer is citing florida's stand your ground law which lets people use deadly form if they have a reasonable fear of harm, but martin's mother says she doesn't buy zimmerman's story one bit. >> i have no confidence that my son chased this guy. i really believe that this guy chased my son and my son was
2:20 pm
protecting himself. my son was exercising his stand your ground rule. >> congresswoman, welcome. my first question is you and so many others, i know, have been very, very critical of police in this case. do you think that after learning they did initially want to charge george zimmerman? >> well, you know what, let me just say. i want to correct one of the things you said earlier. captain of neighborhood watch. self-pinted captain of the neighborhood watch. that's the problem. did not go through the training. it is very clear when you're involved in a neighborhood watch, if the police tell you to step down, you don't follow the person, of course, you don't have a kbun. you just wait on the police. that is the first thing.
2:21 pm
>> i absolutely understand. >> that's to be clear. it's a problem that you keep -- not just you, but the media keep say, captain of neighborhood watch. self-appointed. no training. >> we have spoken to neighbors that tell a different story. zimmerman says he was following police ordersing going back to his car. we haven't talked to zimmerman so i can't tell you for a fact what he's been thinking that night. >> why did he out of the car in the first place? >> let me get back to my question. you've been critical of police. we learned they initially did want to charge him but they gid not. do you stand down on some of your criticism of police? >> absolutely not. they have botched this every step of the way. and when did you find out this was recommended? yesterday. this could have just been frushed under the -- you know, the fact is the police department have mishandled this
2:22 pm
every step of the way. i just finished reviewing the police report. incomplete, incomplete. you test the young man but you didn't test the shooter if for drugs, alcohol. you didn't secure the area, you didn't get the clothes. i mean, it is a disaster. it's a disaster. and let me say one other thing, if a police officer is involved in a shooting, h esteps down. he no longer has his weapon or the -- while the investigation is going on. >> and the chief has temporarily. i hear the frustration. i hear it. but the thing is, you know this has gone to the fbi, the attorney general is investigating. why not wait until all that investigation happens, until that's complete and then hold this forum?
2:23 pm
>> no, no. until we had this forum yesterday, you didn't know act the fact that someone had recommended that at least some charges be brought against mr. zimmerman. you did not know that. so basically, i hope this is not a cover-up, you know, the facts in the case are coming out because of thor haings and because of the marches and because of the fact that you're putting a light on this case. >> i would imagine the parents are appreciative of you and so many others. and this is incredibly -- >> the mother said, you know, what she said this is not about black and white. this is about right and wrong. and it's wrong to disvalue a black life the way this young
2:24 pm
man has been mistreated and profiled. you know what, you never would have known it unless the 911 tapes was released. you would not have known all of this. >> let's get to her point. incredibly tragic. but why not take this whole thing a step further an talk about gun lie vens and gun control. you have a 6-year-old shot and killed on her front porch in chicago. that w that horrendous school shooting. why not take it a step further enand talk guns? >> i'm happy we are talking guns and balance. in addition to that, people are coming up to me and talking education. how can we make things better for the youth? this is energizing youth all over. they're getting involved. they understand the importance of registering and voting. because they understand that if
2:25 pm
it wasn't for elected officials speaking up, this would have been shoved under the rug. so yes, we need to talk about the disparity as far as health care is concerned, as far as education, opportunity for jobs. yes, let's talk about this debate. let's put it on the table. >> a lot of people were aware of this from congress. it percolated weeks ago, but i want to talk about something 245 happened on the house floor earlier today. watch this. the member will suspend. >> these words, you have shown your man -- >> the member will sus pen. the chair must remind -- >> what you do justly -- >> illinois congressman bobby rush removed from the floor while talking about trayvon
2:26 pm
martin. he was wearing a hoodie. would you and your fellow african-american lawmakers be concerned about this case if trayvon wasn't black? >> let me tell you something. we had an incident in my area where a young, white female was murdered. and i was just as concerned. absolutely. i care about all of the children. >> what was her name? >> the young lady that got killed? >> yes, ma'am. >> in orange county. >> what was her name? >> the young lady that got kill killed. >> do you remember? >> i don't remember her name. but we had all kinds of rallies in the community in jacksonville and i made sure the sheriff's department had the money they needed to pursue the case. so just don't try to act like this is just about this one black male.
2:27 pm
this is about all of the children. and, in fact, the congressional black caucus is the conscious of the congress. and we constantly work to make things better. and you know, i served in this congress for a long time. and i have seen what we call a reverse robin hood and working people to give tax breaks to the rich. we talk about it all the time. how can we elevate it? how can we make a difference? you talking about deficits. we're talking about investment in young people. and how to give them opportunities. and yes, how to stop profiling. i really do believe to whom god has given much, much is expected. and we're trying to make a difference for all young people. when america have a cold, african-americans have pneumonia. >> i hear the passion in your
2:28 pm
fois, i appreciate the dialogue and let's continue it. i appreciate it. just want to let you know, we hope you tune in friday night at 8:00 for a special town hall hosted by soledad o'brien. she's going to talk about how this neighborhood tragedy in sanford, florida, became a nationwide story. we have also now just gotden word, the health care arguments have ended. jeff toobin has left the supreme court. find out what happened inside today. mornings, give or take, is all we humans get. we spend them on treadmills. we spend them in traffic. and if we get lucky, really lucky, it dawns on us to go spend them in a world where a simple sunrise can still be magic. twenty-five thousand mornings. make sure some of them are pure michigan. your trip begins at michigan.org.
2:29 pm
2:30 pm
[ male announcer ] brake problems? stop in to meineke today for a free brake inspection and you'll say... my money. my choice. my meineke.
2:31 pm
>> let's go to the supreme court. we're just outside the supreme court. jeff toobin, i just want to begin with you here out of the gate. you made waves saying it was a train wreck for the government. do tell. how did it go today? >> the last hour i thought certainly was the best hour for
2:32 pm
the obama administration so far on the very narrow but still fairly important issue can the government expand medicaid dramatically auz was done in the affordable care act. but again, the court seemed pretty divided on the issue. but on balance, my sense of the justices was they were favorly impressed by the government's position that this is -- it looks like the mandate is as good as gone. and the question several justices had of whether the entire affordable health care act goes with it seems very much an open possibility. so it was a good last hour, but sha shouldn't obscure that this was a very damaging three days for the obama administration. >> let me jump in and ask you
2:33 pm
that individual mandate is as good as gone. is that because you're really reading into how the justices are asking lawyers questions? >> that's exactly it, yeah. >> they're assuming the mandate is law, therefore they're questioning the rest of the law? >> well, that was the purpose of this morning's hour which was to discuss the question of severability. which was, if the court declares the individual mandate unconstitutional, how does that affect the rest of the law. and particularly, justice kennedy, he asked many questions this morning, all of which were premised on the assumption that the individual mandate was, in fact, unconstitutional. now, it is true that he wasn't committing himself to vote that way, but it sure would stand to reason he wouldn't be asking haul those questions if he didn't think the court was going to rule that the law was unconstitutional. now to make matters worse,
2:34 pm
several of his questions seemed to be based on the -- that the only logical resolution was to declare the entire statute unconstitutional. i don't think that's a done deal by any means. i think the justices are divided about that. even some of the conservative justices have questions about whether or not that's the right idea. but even that that option is on the table, and it's surely on the table, just shows, you know, how much the playing field has shifted away from where the obama administration wanted it. >> okay, so let me just take this conversation from individual mandate, from the rest of this law and if it's survivable. cattle baldw kate baldwin to you. the oral arguen'ts were around medicaid. aren't we talking potentially if that goes through, that's like 17 more million americans would get their insurance that way. that is huge.
2:35 pm
>> this increases the eligibility level. millions more people would be eligible to receive medicaid. and the program traditionally -- >> forgive me for interrupting. we have paul clement standing in front of a microphone. let's go to him. >> the mandate would cause the entire statute to be struck down. that was the nature of the proceedings today. it was a great privilege to be able to present our case to the united states supreme court obviously. it was a great privilege to share the podium with the solicitor general of the united states. he's done a terrific job. this is something we feel like this is a process that started back in florida at the very beginning when this law was passed. it was challenged. we worked our way through the 11th circuit. the idea all along was to get the opportunity to present our case to the supreme court of the united states. we we've now had that opportunity. we're delighted to have that opportunity and now the case is under submission to the supreme court.
2:36 pm
at the hearing in the morn, the afternoon and yesterday. the justice are all focused on this case. they're asking hard questions of both sides. i would never get in the business of bag prognosticator. i do think the one thing that's pretty secure is that the justices are taking this care very seriously. the deliberations process for them has just begun. it's a relief for the lawyers involved, though, that the argument process is pretty much over. there's been a lot of argue mgts the last couple of days. the first day, people were discussing whether or not the court could hear the case. yesterday, the case was about the individual mandate. there, the argument the states presented was simple. the power to regulate commerce does not include the power to compel individuals to enter commerce. and today, the issue of
2:37 pm
severability, really just lawyer speak for whether or not if the individual mandate is unconstitutional, the entirety of the statute must fall. and then the last was the question of medicaid expansion, which has a huge economic impact on the states was something that violates basic principles of federalism. >> okay, so paul clement is on the side of representing the states who don't like the health care law. then you have donald varilli, the solicitor general representing the u.s. government. i want to bring in back jeff o toobin and kate baldwin. mr. clement was talking about the expansion of medicaid and the murder on the states. pick up where you left off. >> real quick on paul clement's
2:38 pm
answer. it's no surprise he did not prognosticate the outcome of the case. they never do. i actually interviewed him a couple of weeks ago leading into this case and he said that he never calls it a "w" when he leaves the courtroom because the justices can and do often surprise us. because oral arguments, they are not the final word. the real work now begins now in the next few days, the justices will go behind closed doors with only each other and vote on these four issues separately. and then they will begin the long and arduous and important task of writing their final opinion. so very interesting. just a little insight into the attorneys who speak before the supreme court. but on the medicaid issue, the reason why this has come up, it comes down to something that is a big concern for not only the supreme court, but for every american. the issue of state's rights versus federal authority. that's what the medicaid expansion comes down to. under the health care law, it
2:39 pm
would be expanded to include millions more people, allowing more people to have health care conch provided by the government in a joint cost-sharing system, very complex between the federal government and the states. paul clement on behalf of 26 states came in to argue that that is unacceptable. that is unfairly steps on states' rights. he has multiple aspects to his argume argument. one is there's no choice. the states can't say no, we don't quantity to take part of this medicaid expansion because there is a threat that the government will pull funding for all of their federal dollars. we couldn't take part if we wanted to because it's so important for so many people. they're call it coercion. and that's the argument he made in there. >> jeff toobin, you wrote the book "the nine." you're an authority on this supreme court. and talking about now that this
2:40 pm
will be submitted and they have to discuss and determine and come down with a ruling. how does that work? do they spend x amount of hours behind closed doors? >> this friday they have a conference in which they argue and it's really the holy of holy events, it's in the chief justices' conference room. only the nine justices are present. there is never another person there. and they go around the table and they vote. and the chief justice votes first then they vote in seniority odder from the senior associate justice, antonin scalia down to the newest justice, elena kagan. after that, the justice takes note of which side won. and if he's in the majority, he assigns who will write the majority opinion. for the next several weeks that justice will write the first draft of the majority opinion
2:41 pm
and that will be circulated to all nine justices. at that point, there will be a lot of memos going back and forth about how the opinion should or should not be changed. and the justices who were not in the majority will start to write their opinions. sometimes in this process, justices change their minds. >> i was going to ask. they can change their minds. >> absolutely. and no opinion of the supreme court is final until it is read from the bench. and this process, particularly in a complicated case like this, sometimes gets people to change their positions. not often, and rarely changes the outcome of the a case. but, you know, this is why it's a really important and very private process. this will go on in a case like this for months. this almost certainly will be the last case announced at the end of this term, which is almost usually the last week in june. it will be a very private time
2:42 pm
in the building behind us, but it will be a very busy time for the justices. >> this is something that we will never know how the minds are changed over time? >> not that i want you to know. i write books about this subject. during this period while the skas under submission, as the term goes, i wouldn't presume to ask a law clerk or anyone about what's gong upon but as far as i'm concerned, after the decision comes down, all bets are off and i think it's the public's business to know how it all went down. >> this is is fascinating. potentially, the last week of june, if i'm hearing you correctly, we could have a decision here as it is read from the bench. jeff toobin, kate baldwin, excellent, excellent job. all week long, we appreciate it. meantime, it has gotten so bad for newt gingrich, he's charging
2:43 pm
$50 to just pose in a picture. and now the republican has booted a third of his staff. but he says this is merely a new strategy. we're going to talk about that next. dow a little bit off today as we take a look with you. down, sitting right above 13,000. you can always check that.
2:44 pm
♪ when your chain of supply goes from here to shanghai, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ chips from here, boards from there track it all through the air, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ clearing customs like that hurry up no time flat that's logistics. ♪ ♪ all new technology ups brings to me, that's logistics. ♪ there's another way litter box dust:e purina tidy cats. tidy cats premium line of litters now works harder on dust. and our improved formulas neutralize odors better than ever in multiple-cat homes. so it's easier to keep your house
2:45 pm
smelling just the way you want it. purina tidy cats. keep your home smelling like home.
2:46 pm
today newt gingrich said this today on radio about his presidential campaign. >> i think you have to respond to reality and we had cash flow lower than what i would like it to be. so we're doing the appropriate thing to be able to campaign. we had a good day in wisconsin. i had a very good day yesterday in if maryland. and we're back campaigning.
2:47 pm
>> pretty optimistic for a man with these numbers. 60% think he should drop out of the race. there you go, b delegate count, 136. when you look at those delegate number, which we do each and every week, why let staffers go and why stay in? >> welsh he's got to let his staffers go because he can't pay them anymore. while he does have a super pac sugar daddy who can foot some advertising bill, that money cannot be used to pay for your campaign staff. so he's got to cut the payroll. and why not get out? he has a sizable campaign debt that he's got to repay and it's very hard to raise money when you're a former presidential candidate. it's a lot easier to raise money when you're a current presidential candidate.
2:48 pm
so you hold out some hope against hope that something will happen, the waters will part at the convention. romney and santorum will somehow miraculously cancel each other out and you will come down from the sky and become the presidential nominee. not going to happen but you don't get out of the race when you still have money to raise. >> speaking of money, just quickly here before we look at some more numbers. you mentioned the campaign sugar daddy. do we know if he's still getting that kind of money? >> we don't know. buechele don adelson from las vegas, a very wealthy man. he can afford to continue to fund newt gingrich. but we just don't know yet. >> i do want to know this. 60% of republicans think gingrich should get out. say he does decide to do that down the road. then where does his support go, that's the next big question. first first. >> first of all, there's a question of what support does he have?
2:49 pm
it's dwindling. every single day he doesn't seem like a viable candidate. there was a point in the race where the mitt romney campaign was saying let's keep newt gingrich here because he's splitting the conservative tea party voters with rick santorum and that's good for mitt romney. at this point, the romney people really want him out because they believe they would get most of the support. and we had a cnn poll earlier this week which showed exactly that, which was that romney gets twice the amount of support of the gingrich folks as does santorum. so romney would really benefit the most. but i think what we're seeing happening already is romney's numbers continue to rise is that he's getting some of those gingrich supporters already. because gingrich seems not a viable candidate. >> let's talk big picture. you read all these cnn opinion pieces. if this were another time, the
2:50 pm
establishment power brokers would step in with a vision, take the candidates inside, give them the vision analysis and say unite for the sake of the party and then they would take to the air baefs and offer their null throated endorsements, turning to defeat president obama. not happeninging. why not? why not? >> well, first of all, we were talking about sheldon adelson, those are the new power brokers. the super pac sugar daddies as i call them. those are the people who are really extending the life of this primary because they are funding all of the television advertising. second point is really within the republican party in particular, the power now is within the grass roots. the power does not reside in washington. the republican power brokers have been complete ly -- becaus
2:51 pm
of deficit spending. the accomplishment cannot lead anymore because the rank and file doesn't follow anymore. there is no smoke-filled room in which these people can go and come out with a solution. >> therefore it's not happening. >> it is not happening. and it's not going to happen. and that's why mitt romney has had such a hard time locking it up because goodness knows hsh e's egot the establishment rooting for him. thank you. >> coming up, $2 million and it's just exactly how much magic johnson's group forked over to buy the los angeles dodgers. coming up next, the one, the only tommy lasorda standing by. hear what the outspoken former manager has to say about the whole thing. don't miss it. [ male announcer ] this was how my day began. a little bird told me about a band...
2:52 pm
♪ an old man shared some fish stories... ♪ oooh, my turn. ♪ she was in paris, but we talked for hours... everyone else buzzed about the band. there's a wireless mind inside all of us. so, where to next? ♪
2:53 pm
2:54 pm
2:55 pm
>> it's not the sport that made him famous. former nba superstar magic johnson is part of this venture capital group that won a bid to buy the los angeles dodgers for $2 billion. folks, that is the most anyone has ever paid for a pro sports franchise in the history. the team, you know the back story. a federal court still has to actually approve this deal. but fans are loving the idea of a hometown hero like johnson taking over. >> i've been a fan of magic johnson since i was lit pl the dodgers are going to be looinging up. >> he's smart, he's going to bring that dodger championship back to l.a. hopefully.
2:56 pm
>> we have tommy lasorda on the phone. >> how are you? >> good talking to you again. we also have the executive editor for "forbes" who wrote quite a bit about that deal. but first, what's your reaction to this deal, $2 billion. >> well, to me, first of all, i was shocked when the team went into bankruptcy. this is my 63rd year with the dodgers. i love them with all my heart and soul. to hear they wept into bankruptcy was a complete shock to me. and i know that magic is
2:57 pm
involved i know him very much. i'm very impressed with both of them. i just hope they can bring the championship to the greatest fans in all of baseball. >> i know you want to bring that world series back to the dodgers. you were in los angeles for magic johnson for some of the best years for both of your careers. but specifically to hear that magic johnson is involved in this whole deal, what do you think he's capable of? >> well, they're going to play. we know that. >> that's too bad. i know that. >> he could do a lot. he can talk to the players individually. he could talk to them about winning. he knows what it is to win.
2:58 pm
>> was it '88 when you were in charge. that was the last world series the dodgers won. >> it's been too long. it's been too long. we need to raise that championship flag in dodgers stadium once again. we've got to do it, get this team going and get this team in the right attitude and win. you see, we have the greatest fans in all oaf baseball. and i keep saying it. this game doesn't belong to the players. and this game doesn't belong to the owners. it belongs to the fans. and i'll tell you why. you could have the best team in baseball and the most beautiful team in baseball. and if nobody goes through those turnstiles you've got to shut the doors down. we need the fans. we've got to think about the fans. we've got to ply for the fan ps because we want them to come out
2:59 pm
and support us. without them, there are no people like us. >> tommy lasorda, i'm sure a lot of people in l.a. like hearing what you're saying. this is all about the fans and a lot of people love baseball. i want to turn to you nor deal. "forbes" valued the team at $1.4 billion. did magic and his friends overpay? >> i think it's all going to depend on the next local tv deal they get, which will begin with the 2014 season. you have people in excess of $3.5 billion. if that does happen, they may not have overpaid. >> and the man selling the team, frank mccourt, drove the team into bankruptcy. is he going to profit? >> quickly here. >> he's going to make over $8800 million. that's after paying his ex-wife the divorce

90 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on