Skip to main content

tv   Campaign 2018 Maine Senate Debate  CSPAN  November 5, 2018 2:50pm-3:49pm EST

2:50 pm
main broadcasting network. [music] hello and welcome to maine publix your vote 2018 u.s. senate debate. i am here with the main public medical reporter. for the next hour we will hear from the three candidates trying to represent maine in the u.s. senate. the republican he was maine state director for the 2012 ron paul presidential campaign in maine. he graduated from ohio university. and independent angus king is the incumbent in this race. he was first elected the u.s. senate in 2012.
2:51 pm
he was also a lecture. the owner of an alternative energy company and a television host. king earned a bachelor's from dartmouth college and a law degree from the university of virginia school of law. in the democrat of yarmouth is a teacher who developed a program to help collect classrooms around the world. he taught in the portland public school district from 2060 to 2017 and earned a bachelors from columbia university and a masters from arizona state university. the questions in this debate come from the main public news team and as you will see later in the debate from you members of the public. we're gonna start off again in alphabetical order. in the interest of fairness we will shuffle that order over the next hour. we are going to tackle some affront burner issues.
2:52 pm
question one will be about healthcare. >> you had expressed opposition to the affordable care act. what needs to be in the aca replacement to get your support? >> for so let me say again for having me here today. i am the state senator who reformed welfare. i expanded access. into your questions taxing poor people for being too poor to afford health insurance is not a realistic solution to our problem. we need to look at market-driven solutions. the problem right now is that you have the third-party middlemen seated between us and our doctors. they are standing between us in our doctors. we need to store the one-to-one dr. relationship. and the way that we do that is
2:53 pm
we have market-driven solutions. allowing them to save tax free. through health association. these are real market-driven solutions. they can make healthcare affordable for people. congress continues to debate in ways but there's been little debate about lowering the cost of healthcare. what specific legislation would you talk about. we had been debating who pays. but the real question is the one you had pointed out. we are paying about twice as much per person. than any other country in the world.
2:54 pm
one is drugs they are becoming the bigger and bigger part of the problem. one of the very first things i signed on to. one that you think would be common sense. medicare can negotiate for the billions of dollars worth of drugs. that would save taxpayers about $25 billion per year. control and print prescription drugs is a very important part of the solution. instead of paying insurance to treat us wouldn't we're sick. we pay them to keep us well. >> we support medicare for all. if there is not enough care for all how would you support
2:55 pm
that. not willing to commit. i am committed to solutions for healthcare crisis. this is nothing less than a crisis. i do student a couple years ago that got misdiagnosed by local clinic. this is happening in this country. the richest country on earth. with the worst results of any developed economy. they actually talk about the affordable care act. eric has no solution. is covering everybody. because healthcare is a human right. i don't have to meet another person that has to the has to say that they are paying a second mortgage for their
2:56 pm
healthcare. where they are in fear of going to the hospital for something that will save their life. >> question two addresses insecurity and violence. >> the time in the senate. the partisan rhetoric has certainly increased. it starts to dominate political rhetoric. there is one senator what can you do to turn down the heated rhetoric. and have some semblance of civility. the first thing you have to do is that we are all responsible for our words. words matter. i think all of us in public life had to be cognizant of that. what we are seeing can trigger uncivil activities among people who may not be all that engaged in the political process. my whole thrust has been working across the aisle developing relationships with members on both sides and making those kinds of relationships so i think the
2:57 pm
best way to put it is you can't hate someone if you know the name of their kids. and so often now. we don't have relationships and then it's easy to demonize someone else. what i've tried to do is work with my colleagues informally in the senate have dinner together go to that prayer breakfast on wednesday morning it's the only bipartisan event of the week to try to develop relationships so that we can get out of this hot rhetoric that i think is really harming the country i've always tried to take that role as a person to be civil and thoughtful and reasonable. >> every day it seems like we see more examples of political violence included most recently the pipe bombs in the synagogue shooting in pittsburgh. is anything a senator can do to change the tone in washington. >> yes there is. we need calls for peace and love and people to drop out of
2:58 pm
this race who are not calling for these things. eleven americans were killed by a white supremacist in the synagogue who believed that leftist and globalist won't want to replace us with refugees. and they want to import the population including dangerous killers seeking to infiltrate western countries. i quote this because this was not the words of the killer he should be ashamed of himself for inciting violence for being part of the problem and quite frankly for being racist in signing with neo nazis. >> please wait for your turn. >> it's important to our national dialogue that we have a the dialogue of hope that were not trying to escort political points by fear mongering. and quite frankly in 2016 on
2:59 pm
now, it doesn't make any sense. this is a con job that no one should put up with. >> can i ask your question. you a question. i know you want to respond to what he said. give tony your strong support. they want people to buy the ingredients. there's a few things in there. they need to respond to some of the ridiculous accusations that were thrown out. you are the one pulling at 9% in this race. if anyone should drop out maybe you should look at dropping out. and it is very childish the rhetoric that you are espousing right now. we have some serious issues. and we are here to have that discussion to the question here about the second
3:00 pm
amendment. i'm proud of the fact i have an a+ rating with the nra. and only a beat with the sports men alliance. because of his support for gun control. here's the thing at the end of the day. you can tap all of the laws that you want to pass to say that they can have this or that. criminals don't obey the law. that is the problem that we have. when we passed gun control laws. they are law-abiding citizens. we are constitutional carey state. we are ranked the save safest state in america. if we are going to defend ourselves we need to be able to have the right to self-defense. >> give a question.
3:01 pm
you've talked about the need to address the problem of climate change in your campaign. what would you assume -- opposing congress to get at that problem. many people have seen the un climate report. it says we don't had time. it doesn't say we have to move incrementally with oil. we don't had time. my two and half year old and my seven month old who i just left at home with my wife leah they're not can have a world that is safe because of floods and droughts and fire. we need to act now. i support converting it to a hundred% renewable energy by 2035. in by unifying together. they have high wage jobs. will you stop taking money from exxon mobil.
3:02 pm
.. .. and colleges in the state are to have technology. >> about question for eric. >> artifact in fisheries here in maine and that affects maine's economy. what legislation would you propose in congress to help the industry adapt to climate change such as developing fishery markets. >> first of all let me say i think everybody on this once
3:03 pm
cleaner environment. how do we actually accomplish that? many of the big government proposals put out like the climate accord with feel-good measures that didn't actually do anything. what has made a big difference in reducing our greenhouse gas emissions have been searching for oil to natural gas to make a practical difference in lowering our footprint. one thing that doesn't help, which is just a green energy out there certainly does and hopefully not to benefit interest companies. the win doesn't necessarily blow where he wanted to. if we want to get free from dependence on foreign oil, will never do that. it doesn't make any sense. in the last seven years it doesn't make any sense. certain special interest, finally senator angus king helped the legislation in place
3:04 pm
has made a lot on the backs of maine taxpayers. >> steve nesler. >> angus king he said the issue of climate change is a priority. other than returning the paris climate agreement with specific steps would you take in congress to get the problem and please address the issue of a carbon address. >> i can think of one off the top of my head. we had a senate floor to abolish the methane will that limited the amount of methane. methane is a greenhouse gas that is something like 40 times as potent co2. he voted to maintain our goal to keep it in place a very specific opportunity. the other was the claim power plant which was really a creative way. the epa didn't say this is what you have to do. aside to this date hears the goal, you figure out how to get there. i think that is the way we ought to be pursuing these things.
3:05 pm
the mileage standards which the current administration has talked about repealing. that is part of the problem and mobile energy is certainly part of that. jack talks about 2035. the last five years or 10 years has been the declining cost of solar and i was in maine three days ago whether going to build a 65-acre solar farm, similar one in the inferred and we're getting there. >> thank you, senator kaine. these aren't necessarily on the same thing. he'll have one minute to respond, just like the others. now the question for zack. >> if you're the nominee of the democratic party, why do you
3:06 pm
think you've not gain more support on members of your own party. >> first of all, it has took a vote. you know: doesn't work these days. gibbons took about in a search like 14 or 15 points. just to be very clear, i think that's not a real reflection of what's going on. people don't understand right choice voting. they are not to for the status quo. we'll remember this very well during the presidential election. we don't have to do that. we can but her hopes in the future. medicare for all for 100% renewable energy, for raising teacher salary, for someone who doesn't have the minimum wage increases and senator angus king you cosponsored a bill to deregulate banks this year and we take possible fuel money.
3:07 pm
now people understand i think that we are the kind of candidate and we are not the established candidate and we're very proud of it. >> next question from the youth. >> last week you treated a defunct story that isis militants were arrested in the so-called migrant caravan even though those arrests by guatemala were made before the caravan formed and were unrelated to it. without evidence mysterious forces on the left are importing migrant to lead the country toward socialism. do you believe that people seeking elected office should use twitter to spread unproven or debunked claims. >> first of all you're taking a lot of that out of context. so here are the actual facts. excuse me, here's the actual facts. this migrant caravan coming from honduras and frankly many of these are very good people.
3:08 pm
i can understand why lots come to america. a great country with a lot of opportunity. we have had isis in the very recent past. just because 100 people were deported doesn't mean they got everyone. we don't know who's coming here. if we just let people come across with no venting, no process to know, that is putting us potentially in danger. >> i'm saying there needs to be betting that the border. further, i can certainly appreciate and understand why people want to come here. if i were in their shoes i want to come here, too. the immigration system is not a poverty relief program. >> thank you, eric. that's why the global poverty has dropped.
3:09 pm
>> now the question for angus king. >> is a democrat, masquerading as an independent how do you respond to that criticism. how will it affect maine and that's where i start. you go with chuck schumer could back the other day since he wrote with president tron. about with my own conscience that i make decisions as best i can based on the facts i try to dig in. i party and criticize for voting for a bill which basically was community banks and credit unions. and not the biggest banks, midsize banks, not bank of america was not included in that bill had no involvement whatsoever. that's an example of a bipartisan bill. i've been working the student loan reform in 23rd team was entirely bipartisan. just last week, chuck grassley,
3:10 pm
republican senator, myself, dick durbin put forth a bill that goes to your other question about prescription prices of those ads. but the prices on the air. we didn't quite make the bill but the administration called me last week and said we are going to do it. >> thank you, senator kaine. >> you're about 2018 senate debate. jennifer brooks. now it's time for the candidates to ask questions. candidates will have 20 seconds to pose the question and the other candidate will have one minute to respond. the question i will have a chance to briefly follow up if necessary. the first question will ask angus king. >> senator kaine, yes or no question. do you support the central main corridor through somerset county russian mark >> no.
3:11 pm
>> angus king you may ask that. >> i think we can tell a lot about people by who they look up to. you are your political heroes? one person in american history could have dinner with, who would it be? i'm going to go with john lewis. someone i got to hang out with recently. he's a civil rights hero and he is somebody who was literally on 1961 and reminded me as we sat down together but he wasn't allowed to leave d.c. next a white person in 1961. then he gave a speech next to martin luther king on the march on washington and was told not to. it is still just unbreakable
3:12 pm
hope even though this time it's tough on the brink of authoritarianism. that was an astounding thing to say. >> great choice because i have an instagram with me a john lewis. >> still in the last few days you have gone ahead and attack immigrants and i taught an immigrant community and the majority of my career and all the immigrants i know have more integrity obviously than you have in your entire body. in the last few days i have just been really disappointed that the racist borderline roderick and all actually it's a disgrace
3:13 pm
we have a white supremacist in the u.s. senate debate. [inaudible conversations] spamming people are sick and tired because we don't want a community is to transform overnight. we don't want noncitizens ahead of people who paid into the system. we are sick and tired -- >> excuse me, in fact. [cheers and applause] were trying to have a conversation here and you seem to be the only person on the stage. if there's someone racist i'm looking right at you. >> the audience if you're yelling and screaming the audience at home will not hear what the candidate has to say. that's how microphones work. >> you support open borders and
3:14 pm
medicare for all. how do you expect to have a giant welfare state in the opportunity for anyone and everyone to come here and sign up for it. >> the way that i see america very differently than most. first and foremost we are taxing a working dollar. the working dollar in the state way more than the very wealthy. the very wealthy make a lot of money off of unearned income, which is through dividends, through financial transactions, through states and capital gains. we also know for example medicare for all would actually cost us less. we've been the most per capita on health care than any country in the world. other countries have better health care. medicare for all and that most are paying 13%. my policies are bringing prosperity. immigration brings prosperity and we need to remember that. all the research in the world to look and i look for sharing with
3:15 pm
you. >> bernie sanders technologies. >> eric, it is likely your republican colleagues will bring up a bill which will limit preexisting conditions. it would allow seniors to have to pay five times as much as younger people as the senior scholar at the age tax. my question is not returned the favor yes or no, would you vote for repeal of the affordable care are? >> would immediately vote to repeal and replace obamacare. obamacare has completely failed to address the real problems in the health care system. it was written by the insurance lobby. they loved it because it forced people to buy their product. there are real solutions that we can pursue.
3:16 pm
allowing people there are many things we can do. the one-size-fits-all solution from washington d.c. that works for everyone is thick and large frankly doesn't work. i think preexisting is a real problem and i think we can look at solutions for that. it doesn't mean we have to be inching more and more towards complete government control of our health care system. >> you may ask a question of angus king. >> senator kaine, in 2014, you endorse susan collins. then you are deciding on a bill that would be there so that there was actual sexual assault prevention and the military.
3:17 pm
have a brother in the military, two brothers who have served abroad. the legislation would've definitely work and these are officers we're talking about. how do women support your campaign given these votes? >> endorse susan collins and 2014 because she was doing a great job as a senator. i disagree with it. this is 2018, not 2020. i'm telling you at that time i felt she was doing a capable job. secondly, people pay for equal work has been the law. i've always supported it. the law that you're talking about would've absolutely multiplied lawsuits across the country. i thought it would've caused more harm than good to women getting equal pay. claire mccaskill and i and others on the armed services committee, tim kaine and others
3:18 pm
voted against the proposal because basically the proposal was to take the commanding officer dealing with soul. i feel in many others feel i want the commanding officer was on civil for that decision. i do want commanding officers and sexual assault is not my problem. it over here. it was our position with lead by senator claire mccaskill -- clarence gaskell. >> i would like to respond to that. if you imagine what is happening, you have a chain of command and you take the person who could be the perpetrator of a crime or friends of a perpetrator of a crime and you allowed them and whether or not these things will actually move with regard that makes no sense
3:19 pm
to me to start -- >> would need to move on. questions that come from the public good one minute to respond and we'll start with eric breaky. this question is from steven stephen video love. he asked at every level of government, regulations are by far the biggest burden on my family's agribusiness and most regulations are not making my business better or safer. the food safety modernization act and threatens to put me out of business. what kind of specific regulatory reform if any do you favor. >> i think it's a shame that regulations go into place without congress played any role in the process. i support something called the rain fact, which would rein in out-of-control federal bureaucracies filled with people we never voted for. the reins act as senator kaine had an opportunity to vote for would require any new regulation
3:20 pm
that would have a negative impact of our economy of $100 billion or more would have to go to congress for an up or down vote. it might be good regulation. it might not be. elected representatives should play a role in this. instead we've handed so much over to these unelected agencies and frankly politicians like it that way because then they don't have to be on the record as voting yes or no. that one proactive thing we could do. to reinforce with the questioners saying i know towards one of the consistent things i hear is the overregulation been a problem. situations where you have seven nurses in the backup is his dealing with regulations while you only have two on the floor. too much regulation. >> angus king, same question for you. i understand. i think it is a concern we do have a congressional procedure. it is called the congressional review act, which members of
3:21 pm
congress can bring forth the regulation and have a vote on a simple up or down vote of both houses. unfortunately that they mentioned earlier to repeal what i thought was an important methane role, but it also does give congress an opportunity to be involved. one of the first bill to introduce when i came into the senate and in discussion there's been a lot about a regulatory reform agenda. i've been involved in most of the beginning is to set up a commission made up of public private citizens, businesses, government people to review regulations to see whether they're still working, to see what the fact is. if they find they are not effective they are not meeting their purpose they've overstayed their welcome, then they can be scrubbed off the books. that is the kind of thing i think we need to do. i agree regulation is an important issue and has to pass the commonsense test. that is where the cra comes into
3:22 pm
effect in the congressional review act to break the principle. this is from stephen and in every level of government, regulations on my family agribusiness. they are not making my business better or safer. among the many that threaten to put me out of business. what specific regulatory reform if any do you favor. >> constant reviews of what is helping out our economy are also making our workers and consumers safe. that needs to be a constant. a possible at washington county recently answers the regulatory standards are doing great work. the medicare for all, we need to
3:23 pm
make sure the regulation make sense for the people on the ground. i want to and standardized testing before high school. countries around the world are doing now. regulations in our public school with regard are actually just helping the for-profit friends. this is an example of where regulations are working. >> or second question from w. alan light. we will start with angus king. given twice in the last 20 years the person i became president was not the person with the most votes to use to amend the constitution to get rid of the electoral college. >> i don't have a clear unequivocal answer to that. the electoral college has produced the results as you mentioned us it did this past
3:24 pm
time in several other times in this century. on the other hand it -- the states are important. each states vote is important. if you get rid of the electoral college, all the attention will be on the bigger states. smaller states would get the candidates in spite of the anonymous result we had in 2016 or you have a winner of the electoral college who lost the popular vote. there's something to be said for the reflection of the values of the states individually and that's what the electoral college protects. without it, all the campaigning would be in the most populous areas of the country i'm afraid in maine or iowa or oregon would never see a presidential candidate. >> would you like me repeat the question? >> no thank you. unequivocal yes.
3:25 pm
we have had to live under the reign of bush and try because of this. it is well known in 2000 now we have trump. both of whom have increased our reliance on war, on the military. angus king has voted for surveillance thanks to george w. bush's policies and he also voted for $82 billion to the enormous for budget. meanwhile, people down the street.net health care. people down the street can afford day care. it's ridiculous that the military-industrial complex because he takes money from lockheed martin. the reason we are in this place is because the will of the voter is not being heard. >> would you like to repeat the question? >> i think i got it.
3:26 pm
>> we are not supposed to be one giant city. we are supposed to be a union of various different state. if we were to eliminate daylight or apology would have presidential candidate going to new york city, california. we would hear from anyone and are interested because lately left off the table. it gets to the point of how our country is set up. founders were flawed people that they were brilliant in many regards particularly because they believe power wasn't supposed to be concentrated in one city 500 miles away from our border. we were supposed on this all-powerful city of washington d.c. this change so much. now the richest reason in america all suburbs of washington d.c. or twice that of maine. if we fix this we have to we have to power come back to the state and local level and make decisions in may not work for many people, not have people
3:27 pm
from washington d.c. and eliminating out would move us further in the wrong direction. >> thank you. this question is from jack norris. he writes pleased that the candidates how they would limit or identify outside money used to fund special individuals. would they support strict, clean funding for all elections to control the use of dark money. >> i knew i liked you, jack. jack is my youngest son's name, by the way. i like to because we can actually have someone who is clean and on foot influence representing the people's interests are in the state of maine for one. we have a corporate establishment that runs on money. listen i'm not a career politician. i can go to bed at night. this political system is about people growing and hanging out with big donors in order to influence their vote. they write the bills.
3:28 pm
they fund the campaigns and expect something in return which is their policy we the working class are under attack in this needs to end right now. i'm not taking pass lobbyist for the fossil fuel industry. i'm very proud because i can stand up for the working people who deserve more. the system is rigged. we need a publicly financed system right now, no questions asked. it is the thing that is holding us back from achieving our dreams and being a truly free society for all americans. >> eric brakey commode likely to repeat the question? i've got it. i've been dealing with this issue on the state level which frankly has done absolutely nothing to get special interest money out of politics. and has become with tax dollars.
3:29 pm
it just goes into the political parties instead. it's made the whole system less transparent. i don't support using taxpayer money. and candidates to the left of me who want to go through gun rights. we should be able to make those voluntary decisions are held. but there is an underlying problem here. there is a problem of special interests in washington d.c. and hijacking our system and writing the laws for themselves. founders predicted this. that is why they said power should be decentralized across the country. those powers delegated to the congress along the states and the people. if you put all the power of one city that becomes a one-stop shop for the special interests. it is a lot harder for the special interest to take control. >> angus king, which equator repeat the question.
3:30 pm
>> there is a distinction. your correspondent used the term dark money. that's important is you can argue till today, everybody knows my contributions because they have to disclose them. that's under our system. the problem is we have developed a parallel system were a billionaire can spend millions of dollars with no disclosure. nobody knows where it's coming from and people deserve to know that. i have gotten onto, sign on to the constitutional amendment to repeal citizens united. corporations are not people in the sense of the constitution and have a right to step into our political affairs. the whole thing of transparency i believe the best anecdote to this problem is disclosure. people know where the money is coming from and there is limit,
3:31 pm
$2700 is the limit an individual can contribute to any of us and that's important. the supreme court is one of the worst decisions in the history of the supreme court has opened up unaccountable money that nobody knows where it's coming from. that is what's changing american politics in a way that is absolutely amicable to the best interest of the american people. >> thank you on angus king. our final questions come from kelly hatches. we have a country have only agreed on the overall role of government and a lot of the inability to move forward on issues as related to her lack of agreement on the fundamental issue. with that in mind, please ask the candidate in your opinion what is the role of government. >> the role of government is protect our liberties. that's what the american experiment was all about. to protect our rights of life, liberty, pursuit of happiness.
3:32 pm
not to protect us from ourselves. if you're an adult citizen, that's what it all about. i don't have to agree with your personal choices. so long as you're not harming other people. if you make a choice for what she wanted your do a candidates in the privacy of your own home, not your business, not government business. if you want to carry a firearm, and you're not hurting anyone. that's your right. and i'm the only candidate on the stage who wants to let us make her own choices in their own states and no mice to stop stealing and telling us how to live. we should deal it a maker of choices here. >> angus king, in your opinion what is the role of government? >> we the people in order to form a more perfect union is
3:33 pm
number one establish justice. number two, justice tranquility secure our prosperity tour again for this constitution. i can't say it any better than that. talks about what the role the government has and it's the most brilliant attempt to deal with the fundamental paradox of government, which is to give government power but how do we keep government from abusing us. they do it by dividing power in this structure we've got a hug two houses of congress, all of those kinds of things. but the framers said that's not enough. there's got to be places where they can go even if they follow this complicated process. that's the bill of rights. free speech, second amendment, no due process. that is a sphere around all of
3:34 pm
us. finally this what the government up between the federal government and state governments and local governments. >> if you really believe that, when you vote the way you do? >> would you like to repeat the question? >> i want to say that this country is based on a radical idea and it's an experiment, but the radical idea that will have freedom and is for all people, that all men and women are created equal for the people and by the people. but truly, the founders would be devastated at what this government is doing to its own people. it is not run by the people. it is for the multinational corporation and by the multinational corporation. in this needs to end. we've got a call at what it is.
3:35 pm
which is a crisis. 1% of our country owns almost half of our wealth. when the richest country on earth are growing up in poverty, when there are more black men in prison today been enslaved in 1850s, when life expectancy dropped this year. this is not okay. this is not just. this is not free and we need to end the era of money in politics. i'm the only person in this race who's not taking -- >> we will take another quick break. i come back our lightning round and closing stay with us. welcome back to her about 20 t. debate between the candidates for u.s. senate in now to our lightning round in the segment we are going to ask the candidate for a brief, very brief one or two, maybe three word responses. we'll start with zach finkelstein.
3:36 pm
should marijuana be legalized the federal level? >> s., 100%. >> yes, absolutely. >> angus king. yes. >> angus king do support term limits in congress? >> no. the people should provide the term limits. >> yes, to save our democracy. >> assemblage to support a constitutional limit to the effect. >> name an issue on which you agree with president trump. this gets confusing. go ahead. >> that they agree with president trump. negotiating peace in north korea. >> taking a hard look at our trade policies. >> infrastructure. >> do support an assault weapons ban? eric?
3:37 pm
>> no. >> do support spending several billion dollars for construction of a border wall? >> no. >> potentially. leaning towards yes. >> angus. >> i'm for border security, but not border security. >> since it applies who would your second choice be after you vote for yourself? >> considering i have one opponent whose a socialist and one who's gotten very rich off of taxpayers i'm just voting for myself. >> haven't decided yet. i'll decide when i go in the polling place. >> i'm going to rank in the second. >> do support ranked choice voting? >> i don't like the title. it should be called instant runoff. it saves the taxpayer money. >> i even sat last year getting petition signatures.
3:38 pm
>> i initially was open to it but how we play out has been an utter disaster and is currently implemented but this hodgepodge system i don't. >> let's get back to the observers. i'm being a little loose here. do you support elevating the national monument to park status? >> is coming due. >> no. we should be protecting sovereignty here in maine. they might angus king. >> yes. >> should u.s. pull it forces from sierra? >> 100% i would do it yesterday. >> angus king. >> do support the terrorist president trump is imposing on very various goods and services. >> at the sledgehammer or a scalpel would be more useful in its boomerang and in her demand.
3:39 pm
>> no. >> i support tough negotiations that appear to be working. >> is health care right? >> yes. >> eric brakey a softer right? >> you can estimate produced by other old waiver. >> do you support passage of manpower propose transitioning to bring power from canada to massachusetts remain? >> not currently. too many unanswered questions. >> no. >> do you believe elected officials have an obligation to provide frequent access to the press and respond promptly to media inquiries. >> absolutely. >> yes. >> .com and you support deportation of undocumented immigrants? >> know, with all my heart. >> if you're talking about dr. kids, no. there needs to be a process.
3:40 pm
>> should do national flood insurance program be continued in the face of climate change? >> it's been a boondoggle of a program. more time we could talk about it more. >> yes. >> guess why. time for closing statements. each candidate has one minute. the order was determined earlier by random drawing. your first. >> my name is zach ringle stein. i'm a teacher. i'm a dad and the reason i'm running is because regular working people need to be sitting at the table in washington, not career professional politicians. i was invited to talk about early education policy. got in the room ready to make some change in i realized after a few minutes i was the only person in that room who had ever worked in a school building.
3:41 pm
that is the problem. working people are not at the table and not at the table were on the menu. we need to make sure we are set up for. i'm not taking corporate lobbyists are fossil fuel money. so i ask you to rank your hopes, rank me one and angus to a november 6. thank you so much. let's vote for the future in this election. we don't have time to wait. >> eric brakey come your second. >> we have a big choice. we been given a rotten deal for a long time actually. washington d.c. is the richest region and yet they don't actually make anything there. they are not for manufacturing or finance. they are known for one thing they're really good at. the value of their savings and certain special interests
3:42 pm
including my opponent have gotten rich off this in the hard work of maine taxpayers. we have an opportunity for a better deal. the question is are we going to render this rotten contract for another six years are we going to demand a better deal. better jobs for kids can say. named in the washington out of our way. better health care by giving bureaucrats from us and our doctors and more freedom to make our own choices in their own lives and day. that's that i'm offered the main people. if you're ready to shuffle and get a better deal i ask for your vote on november 6. >> thank you. angus king. and i can surprise in this haven't mentioned opioids. it's the most serious public health problem i've seen them into my lifetime but i want to talk about what we can do to deal with the issues we have before us at opioids, like the isolation of seniors that has had a roundtable and they said
3:43 pm
that their seniors up there in their homes and the only person we see how weak is the meals on wheels drive. like the devastation in many of our communities in madison, lincoln and how to rebuild those economies. that's the tough part. the other tough part is taking direct action to pass a major good build the midst of this contentious congress 99 to one. that is something i was proud to be involved with. other kinds of issues dealing with seniors in dealing with the rural economy and made. broadband's new product out of the forest the new jobs, new opportunity that's what it's all about and what i've been all about listening to made in the not dean on behalf of the people. >> and that is the final word. thank you for joining us for your vote 2018 senate debate.
3:44 pm
if you missed any part of the program you can get in its entirety on demand it being public.org/airboat tiered special thanks for all of us here i am jennifer brooks. thank you for joining us. [cheers and applause]
3:45 pm
3:46 pm
>> i was asked on who should control the house. personally i'm not more left-wing. right now they have the majority in all branches. there's more control taking place for that balance. especially when it comes to tax cuts in the long term and in the long-term most tax cuts could affect the younger generations. the deficit has continued to rise in the trillions and it is a short-term fix, but what about the long-term problem for the long-term cure we are trying to fix here. >> this is a city rich in
3:47 pm
diversity. we have people who live in the city from all walks of life. we had immigrants and refugees here from all over the world and i want to make sure their voices are represented in congress. in leaders in washington care about them and are there for them. >> they want to take the house are breached. from new york city and so i am thrilled that she is going to become a congresswoman from my area. i would like to see more democrats in conference. >> i believe they should control congress because he'll keep the the balance of power in check. things like universal health care, gun control is important
3:48 pm
to this next-generation and if we don't do something about it now i worried about the future. >> in california's district, republican incumbent debated democratic challenger p.j. cox in a race leans republican. this debate is just under an hour. >> now from your local election a congressional district debate between incumbent republican david allendale in t.j. cox lie with moderator jim scott 17 news. your local election district debate starts now. >> is a choice for valley voters at a time of great division. congressman valado has s

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on