Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  August 5, 2014 1:00am-2:01am PDT

1:00 am
geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. jesse?
1:01 am
1:02 am
1:03 am
1:04 am
1:05 am
1:06 am
1:07 am
1:08 am
1:09 am
1:10 am
1:11 am
>> the idea of american strength being a force for good in the world and that that has been some of the issue. i agree with you on the jobs and the median income and some of the worries about education and that kind of thing. i will disagree with you.
1:12 am
opposite side of the marijuana issue that you restated my any arguments i have made to you very charitiably. that didn't resemble anything that i have argued. i don't think it's a very hysterical movement for after 30 years in the drug war say this isn't working in two states try something different. put that out there. then i think when it comes to the internet, i love it. i actually posted a selfie of myself on the internet before i came out here and i'm still a functioning member of society. i think i agree with you about some tendencies towards narcissism and education parts of these things, but i don't think the solution is to go back to card catalogs. >> all right. but i mean, you know, your personalizing it rather than looking at the big picture whereas there are some people who can smoke marijuana don't have adverse effects on them. mlts cannot. some use the internet for positive things. many cannot. these are difficult things to handle. and you have to have a level of sophistication and a level of emotional
1:13 am
development or maturity to do so. it's not all about you and i think you should look at the view in a more -- broader way. and tomorrow i am going to get a little promo here. do an investigative report about the legalization of marijuana in colorado that has not wiped out the black market has enhanced it. that's tomorrow. juan, you are a huge supporter of barack obama, and i made a fairly strong case that america's power has declined both at home and abroad, so, where am i going wrong in your eyes? >> first, i'm not a huge, you know, big supporter. i guess because i come on here and challenge you and then you want me to put me in that position. >> i think you like him to the extent that you would be in the top 10% of liking him. >> look, let's get back to the story. i think -- first of all, 40 years of bill o'reilly journalism, my hats off, congratulations on a spectacular career. i mean, you look back 40 years that would take you back to 74, watergate.
1:14 am
i think that was a pretty sad time. we were still suffering from the aftermath of vietnam and people reluctant to do anything militarily in the sense of america being weak after what happened in vietnam. then you come forward to things like iran contra and all the kind of squabbles over, of course, no weapons of mass destruction in iraq. so i think we have seen times when we are highly divided i think changes in reality. it's a huge huge fallacy. if we just imposed our military will because we remain the number one super power. strength without military action. >> even in the vietnam era, all right, you had a military machine in america that mobilize quickly and do some serious damage,
1:15 am
therefore, proof of that is that china and russia stayed within their boundaries, they did not expand. juan, let me ask you about the isis army now 60 taunting us now. they own more land, this isis al qaeda and any jihadist army in the history of the world now. okay? they are all. are you not a little worried about this juan williams? totally mia in this whole thing. >> i think you missed the press conference on friday when he said it was an urgent situation. >> juan, he said that since may. it's august. >> you said he hadn't heard anything. we haven't heard from him. >> juan, what has he done? what is is he going to do? >> we don't know. >> we don't know, juan that's weakness.
1:16 am
we have not seen the united states take pointed action. and, again. >> does that bother you? >> no. >> it doesn't? >> because i think you have got to understand that we have got to take smart action. judicious restraint. acting sensibly does not mean that you are weak. >> baghdad, juan. >> restraint and to use power wisely is a good sign. >> unbelievable. go ahead. >> juan, the article you cited and the economist, bill, asked the right questions what will americans fight for. i think the president does wrestle with the fact that the american people are not interested in interventionism for the most part. >> he they just have to attack this army. they don't have to get involved in the iraq politics. just downgrade that threat. that's all. >> right. that's what i'm saying, bill. juan always misses like we he have to go in with military power everything every time. that's a straw man. if you are strong and this is what the communist says
1:17 am
as well. if you actually abide by your words and you don't draw red lines that then you abandon that people listen to you and maybe things don't get to this point. >> i'm going to stay flat out. to lead this isis army do what they're doing. that is a der rejection election of duty for any commander and chief in my opinion. >> don't forget bin laden. don't forget can gaddafi and the use of drones. don't forget that we are in stopping the russians in ukraine. don't forget this stuff. >> juan, we very heard it it you don't care that isis is 60 miles out. you don't want anything done. >> of course i do. everybody says it's a terrible situation. >> tahmooressi deal. >> act rationally, bill. you think about what you are doing and then act in a way that has total consequence and gets rid of them. >> they are 60 miles a from baghdad. tahmooressi in prison, mexicans not going to let him out. any president would have had him out based on humanitarian, he has post-traumatic stress disorder. let him go, he can't get them out.
1:18 am
obama can't get them out. >> you are doing the same thing mary mary katharine was doing. you are going off in the weeds here. that guy is not a serious issue. let's get back to isis and global policy. >> mary katharine, you agree with me? should have been out a long time ago. >> the question you have asked for years and the right one. where are the dividends for not projecting american strength so that everyone likes us and things go better. that's obviously a explanation. that's kind of what we were sold and i don't see the dividends and neither do you. >> got the to go. directly ahead the rise of anti-semitism in the world. we have a factor investigation. watters world goes ivy league. those reports after these messages.
1:19 am
1:20 am
1:21 am
of. rise of anti-semitism. conflict has galvanized
1:22 am
people all over the world to take sides. worshipers in a synagogue recently found their cars vandalized. a swastika painted on a synagogue. and all over the world there are anti-jewish demonstrations. >> there was hope in the wake of the holocaust, that anti-semitism would end and that the establishment of israel would bring it to an end. really what happened with historic perspective is that the brief period after the holocaust made it politically incorrect to be anti-semitic. and now you have anti-semitism really coming to the surface again. >> joining us now from washington steve beachy from the heritage foundation. how bad is this current anti-semitism? is it a dangerous situation or just an annoyance? >> well, i have to say, annoyance. as you mentioned in your examples, we have problems with it here. europe is far worse. they have had major riots that have not just been anti-israeli policy anti-jewish.
1:23 am
>> what is driving those demonstrations? is it all jihadists sympathizers? >> they are predominantly the immigrant muslim populations in germany and france. significant numbers of german citizens, native german citizens and native french citizens. either from the far right or the far left who blame israel and are turning it into an anti-jewish campaign is there a theme? when you say blame israel is fairly rational clear minded people. people understand hamas is a terrorist group and committed to kill jews and wiping them off the face of the earth. that's not debatable. that's a fact. when hamas starts to attack in israel, of course israel has to defend itself. there is not a rationality there or moral equivalency. so when people take the sides of hamas, this is my
1:24 am
question. is it just a hate jews like they would hate irish or hate blacks? is that what drives it? >> you and i would agree they have translated this into an attack on all jews. that anti-semitism has been below the surface but not much below. has not come to the surface. >> now, historically speaking. anti-semitism in europe because many of the people who controlled the land and the banks were jewish didn't have money and didn't have land. now it's not that way. it's pluralistic society. i'm not understanding why a german or french person not
1:25 am
jihadist. i understand that crazy philosophy. why they would hate jews. jews have a very small minority. they are not around very much. in america is like 4 million jews, that's all. why do they hate these people? for what reason? >> it's a very visceral thing. it goes back in some cases the far right an alignment if naziism. the far left with strong communism. both of whom hated jews and persecuted them. so the connection is still there. >> but why? why did the nazis and the communists select the jews? because i think our audience in america needs to know the historical perspective why were they singled out? >> in the case of the nazis, it was hitler's irrational view that jews were somehow subhuman, were less than the pure germans of which he he wasn't one either. on the left side, the
1:26 am
communists, a lot of them were jews which started out they turned it around particularly with you stalin where he saw them as competitor and a group that needed to be crushed and destroyed so he could have full power. >> isn't it though that the jewish people are very close knit and that was was a red flag to some people. i never really understood the anti-semitism. i never really got it i think it was economically based back in the middle ages. i will give you the last word. >> well, it's -- they have a closeness other groups have a closeness i didn'ts mostly were forced to have a closeness just to survive. >> just to survive. >> it is irrational. >> do you think it's on a rise in america or just selecteddettes nuts doing this kind of stuff? >> i hope to be optimistic and say it's not on a rise across the board. but there are enough people that feel the release to do this because of what's going
1:27 am
on in israel. and hopefully we can keep it down in our country and eliminate it. >> we don't tolerate it we will find it and he can pose it. thank you so much. we appreciate it plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening. cannot seem to stop the immigration problem its stral i can't has. we will tell you how they did it also, watters world going ivy. >> a lot of students are doing nude yoga, nude body painting. >> a lot of students are paying poker. what's the educational value of that? >> well, mathematics. >> we hope you stay tuned to those reports.
1:28 am
1:29 am
1:30 am
1:31 am
thousands of illegal aliens sailing to that nation in hopes of living there permanently. australian government cracked down hard to refuse to let the aliens land and sending them to various islands. seems to have stopped the problem. author of the book the american boomer rang how the world's greatest turn around nation will do it again. did i describe the situation accurately? >> you, the humble correspondent nailed it that's exactly right. for the last seven months we
1:32 am
have not had one single illegal immigrant arrive in australia. >> that you know of? >> we know because obviously they have to come by water and not one boat has made it to the australian coast line. now, it wasn't always that way as you correctly observed. we had no problem with our border between 2001 and 2007. and then a government full of secular progressive pinheads got elected and dismantled this effective border election policy that was in place. with the usual claims that inhumane, wrong, immoral, only bad guys like o'reilly would want to have such a policy in place. and what happened? we have had in the last four years, before the changing government, more than 50,000 illegal immigrants arrived on more than 800 boats. 1200 people, bill, tragically died at sea making the journey. there was a 10.3 billion-dollar budget blowout. and, you know, they were coming here and it was like
1:33 am
hollywood, bill. it was who wants to be an illegal immigrant. getting free plasma tvs, free mobile phones. >> your society does give generous welfare benefits. most of these people coming from south arab sharks right? pakistan, afghanistan, those kind of countries. now, the australian navy actually physically intercepts them. is that what they do? >> that's right, bill. the conservative government basically came in and said we are going to determine who comes into this country and circumstances under which they come. they got the military to sort it out. turning back the boats, which include towing back the boats. but most of all our prime minister got out, bill, and said if you come to australia the wrong way, if you come to australia illegally, you will never get to stay, you will never get to live in australia, you you will never get to be? australia. >> once you get in if you didn't get in legally you will deported no matter what your circumstances?
1:34 am
>> basically when the conservative government got in because we had such a a terrible mess, they couldn't wave the magic wand and stop the boats immediately, for the first few months some boats kept coming and the people that arrived were told you have come to australia illegally. therefore, we do not want you. we don't believe you have done the right thing and as a result you will not get to stay here. we are going to send you either to a processing center offshore, which is an island like you were saying in your introduction, or, the other choice you have is we will fly you home free. >> and that cost australia money to fly all these people home but do you it so you have an efficient system. >> that's exactly right. >> now, the people who got here under the liberal government, can they stay in australia now? are they legal citizens? >> well, many of them, bill, got released into the community early, and, you know, to great concern for all of us because they weren't vetted. we don't know who they are. >> they still there?
1:35 am
>> yeah, absolutely. some of them are. >> like america, we have 12 million at least here, and those people are functioning but you have the same in australia. you have some illegal aliens that are on the ground because they were under the other regime that was a little soft. now, the navy, you know, physically turning these people back, this is why i called for the national guard on the border, to physically turn back people coming in. that must be controversial. i mean, you know, they are forcing them away from the australian coast line into the water, open water or towing them to an island. right? >> bill, international social politically correct, the mainstream media it's been incessant. conservative government down under has remained firm and stead fast said it's the way it's got to be. it is controversial, bill but it's working. people in australia are happy for a number of reasons. one is that the pima were coming were sees a jumpers. it's not fair to the g
1:36 am
refugees, part of australians already very genius refugee intake, it was costing us so much money, we didn't know who these people were, and, of course, we wanted to save lives. what's more humanitarian. >> if you are floating across open water, i mean, if you are encouraging that, like the home invasion boat people. >> that's why i think, bill, president obama has got to toughen up: >> like that is going to happen, we will see. we appreciate the perspective from down under. thanks for coming in. >> thanks for having me. >> the secret service telling tales about america's most powerful politicians. then watters going ivy tonight. right back.
1:37 am
1:38 am
1:39 am
1:40 am
thank you for staying us with, personal story segment tonight. new book out called the first family detail. secret service agents reveal hidden lives of the president. not many people know, this but in my career i have made it a point to seek out secret service agents and ask them about various politicians they protect. i promise the agents it will all be off the record and i have kept my promise. the reason i do that is because the secret servicemen and women really get to know these people. with us now the author of the first family detail ron
1:41 am
kessler. after researching your book, is the secret service right now a top flight agency? >> no. it's in serious need of an overhaul. it really needs an outside director to shape things up. you see what happened with the -- being alouded in at the state dinner much the prostitution scandal which i broke. those are just tip of the iceberg situations. >> what is wrong -- what is the base problem of the secret service right now? >> there is a culture in the management of corner cut in laxness which in some cases means that they let people into events without imagine na know magnetometer screening. >> you think he would be like the navy seals the elite of the elite. that's what they bill themselves as. >> the agents are impressive, fbi agents regard them as equal to them. but, the management just has this, you know, sort of lazy culture of we make due with
1:42 am
less. we're the great secret service. we're going to get nice jobs on the outside. >> embarrassed now four times in recent years, you would think that they would change. they always say there is going to be. >> look at the v.a. and other government scandals. you wouldn't figure out why it would happen but it happens. one example is when bradley cooper, the actor went to the white house correspondence dinner, a a high ranking secret service official in new york ordered agents at the washington hilton to just let his suv into this restricted area where even secret service cars which are the only ones allowed have to be screened for explosives. but the orders were just let him in, let him in. and you can imagine what message that sent to the agents. you know. who are there to protect the president. it could have been loaded wex explosives. >> i don't know if bradley cooper is going to blow anybody up. >> not bradley cooper but anybody. >> that shouldn't happen. there should be certain protocol always followed. known should be able to get around them.
1:43 am
now, when you write about individual presidents. raw conservative or a liberal? do you have a political bent? >> i lean to the conservative side but the book is totally nonpartisan. it reveals on the one hand that hillary clinton is so nasty to her agents that being assigned to her detail is considered a form of punishment. on the other hand it says that barack obama and michelle are very respectful of agents, concrete treat them with consideration. the book reveals negative material about everyone. every republican were agnew to jenna bush to senator ted cruz. >> most talking to you did not go on the record. a few of them did. >> two thirds of the book is on the the record. >> no, no, i'm talking about the agents themselves. >> but now they can't talk to you because since 2012 they have to sign nondisclosure. >> they still talk to me and the reason they have to sign that is because i broke the story about the prostitution scandal. >> right. >> even before that. >> if hillary clinton were here, she would say, you
1:44 am
know, you are full of bologna i didn't abuse any secret service agent and she could probably come up with four or five. >> this is on the record. a number of quotes on the record from former agents who were on her detail who described this nastiness, he she wouldn't -- she would blow up at them. wouldn't talk to them. she claims to be a champion of little people. she says she is going to help. >> you believe that 100%. >> no question. >> but bill clinton he wasn't bad to them, right? >> bill clinton was much more respectful and treated them well. >> was there a reason that mrs. clinton -- >> -- i think it goes back to her character. it shows an arrogance and imperial and unstable personality which when you feel you have to put down other people who are less powerful than you. i think it's very important. when we choose a president, we need to consider that just as we. >> i'm a little uneasy with that characterization. i don't know mrs. clinton well. people have said that about me almost the exact same
1:45 am
words you you use. how do you know that? because so and so told me. there is is never a so and so name attached to it unless the guy is trying to make money or something like that. be that as it may. people can make their own assessment. throughout history, you say character is important, right? character is important. >> character and track record. >> for electing a leader in this country. but i will submit to you that fdr in my upcoming book on baton. >> you will find out a a lot about franklin roosevelt unsavory. good president. bill clinton, obviously, okay? effective president. i don't know if it always mixes and match. >> it doesn't always. >> because barack obama, as you just said. >> is respectful. >> perfect record but is having all kinds of trouble governing. >> but we need to look at track record. if you look at his track record then you should form certain conclusions about whether he should be president. so, you have -- just when you choose a friend, when you choose a new employee, you do look at these things,
1:46 am
you look at character. you treat -- you look at how they treat other people. you look at whether they accomplished anything. that's what we should be focusing on as opposed to how well he smiled on tv and what they promise. by the way, another example of nonpartisanship is the book exposes the reagan white house staff for overruling the secret service to allow spectators to get within 15 feet of reagan when he came out of the washington hilton. >> and that's why he got shot by john hinckley. >> fascinating. very interesting book, mr. kessler. the first family detail and we appreciate you coming. >> in thank you. >> watters on deck. he goes ivy league tonight. the results are amusing. watters is next.
1:47 am
1:48 am
1:49 am
1:50 am
>> what is the meaning of nudity week? >> i think it's just providing a comfortable space for people to express themselves. women feeling bad about their weight. men feeling bad about their weight. >> i feel bad about my waekt. >> so do i, jesse. >> you don't need to. >> we allow people to do whatever they want, whatever they feel sort of furthers their best interests. >> like if the whole thing was violence in the media, people are okay with that. but if you show one nipple, everyone goes crazy. >> dogs and cats living together, mass his tear ya. >> i don't need extra nudity.
1:51 am
>> during exam week we have the naked doughnut run. >> if there's a naked convenient on the college campus, i want to know about it. a lot of the students are doing nude body painting. >> a lot of students are playing poker. what's the educational value of that. >> well, mathematics. >> are you guys playing cards? >> let's call your mom right now and tell her it's nudity week here at brown. this is yes, sir with waters. how are you doing, mom? >> okay. >> did you know it's nudity week here at brown, mom? >> okay. >> what? what? what? >> are you proud of mayor ford? >> no. >> not at all. >> he was drunk at the party and should have left. >> he screwed up in his own amazing way. >> it's his personal behavior. it has nothing to do with the country. >> he probably dabbled with it once or twice. >> crack.
1:52 am
>> a drug, yes. >> kind of a big deal. is crack legal? >> it's not legal. marijuana is not legal as well. >> marijuana is a little different than crack. >> a little bit. >> have you ever smoked crack? >> yeah. >> did you ever go to prison snn. >> yep. >> this is just plain crazy. >> i smoke a lot of weed. i'm pretty fried right now. >> do you think smoking meth is a good idea? >> if you sit there on some stuff that -- >> right at usual, sir. >> i love the pants. i have to be honest with you the pants look a little tight. >> they're not at all. >> are you going to behavior yourself? i'm going behavior myself. >> i don't believe that for a moment. >> you guys work out? >> i'm going to go out on a
1:53 am
limb. you look a little per miscue us. >> a little bit. i can't help it. i'm sorry. >> the room is starting to spin a little bit. >> do you ever watch bill o'reilly? i do. >> do you get tressed up. >> maybe a little lipstick. >> he's gives us -- >> i don't like fox. >> this is fox. >> oh, god. >> sometimes you leave me breathless. >> waters needed a vacation so we sent him on one. but tomorrow he goes to the n.o.w. convention. they didn't like him. the tip, moments away. people join angie's list for all kinds of reasons. i go to angie's list to gauge whether or not the projects will be done in a timely fashion and within budget. angie's list members can tell you which provider is the best in town. you'll find reviews on everything from home repair to healthcare. now that we're expecting, i like the fact
1:54 am
i can go onto angie's list and look for pediatricians. the service providers that i've found on angie's list actually have blown me away. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. factor "tip of the day," how to handle sharks in a moment. great quiz. as you may know, to become an american citizen you have to take a test. so we post add test very similar to the citizenship 1. see how you do it. it will be fun. she was right when she told you to wake up. there is not a lot of hate against president obamaed on the right, just concern about abuse of the constitution. kate's response that there is not hate on the right demonstrates her naivety.
1:55 am
it is painful for me to admit this, mike, but i can't know what everybody says but i appreciate your setting the record straight. phil duncan. the tattoo :fhdsaid.
1:56 am
1:57 am
1:58 am
>> it is tuesday august 5th. a fox news alert. ebola fears escalating. a second infected american is about to arrive in atlanta as a
1:59 am
possible case in new york city. what is being done to protect america. >> a man is back behind bars why he may be there for months before learning his fate. >> if you are tired you might want to play a game of musical chair the. where you sit may determine how well you sleep. "fox and friends first starts right now. ♪ >> good morning. you are watching "fox and friends first" on this tuesday morning. >> thank you for starting your day with us. at this hour a second american infected with the ebola virus is headed to at lap tlanta for tre.
2:00 am
>> a new york city man is treated for possible exposure. good morning. >> good morning to you as well. there is no cure vaccine for ebola. the virus is deadly and contagious. because of that fear is growing that it is possibly growing. a man is in isolation being held atlanta lantis emory university hospital. nancy writebol is expected to arrive there today. both are receiving an experimental drug never tested on humans before. write bowl's son hopes her mother's suffering will help others. >> amazing to think my mom might not only be able to help those she was trying to help there in the country but by her suffering in this by her going through it

112 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on