Skip to main content

tv   Americas News Headquarters  FOX News  April 14, 2012 1:00pm-2:00pm EDT

1:00 pm
1:01 pm
1:02 pm
details of the latest reports and several other alleged
1:03 pm
incidents. you heard doug talking about some of them involving the president's security detail and some of those just in the past year. >> good to know. that's coming up for you. plus, right now fox news weather alert. an extreme one. we have some new reports of at least three possible tornadoes hitting oklahoma. there's a very dangerous severe weather situation stretching from minnesota to texas. the national weather service warning of a potential life-threatening event. here are the areas that are at highest risk. in the bull's eye, parts of oklahoma, kansas, and nebraska. yesterday norman, oklahoma, getting a preview of what may be to come. >> get down! >> it sounds like his tearia. there's that funnel cloud, all too familiar to the area. thes twister damaged several buildings, ripping off roofs, sending residents to local
1:04 pm
shelters. mike tobin live in oklahoma. mike? >> you know, jamie, this is just a remarkable situation, the likes we've never seen before, where the forecasters are able to tell us that all of the ingredients are coming together to produce these life-threatening storms. we got a little bit of a preview into that with the tornadoes that touched down here in norman, oklahoma, and two others in different spots around oklahoma. by comparison, these were smaller tornadoes. the kind of destruction we're seeing out here. a lot of trees down. sections of roof that were knocked off. these are solid brick buildings in this part of the country, so the structures of the buildings, the structures of the homes stayed together. we've seen a lot of powerlines down. a lot of streetlights that are out right now. one particular storm chaser got very close to the action. we can show you remarkable video of the funnel cloud hopping over his vehicle. you can't really see the funnel cloud as well as we would like in this video, but what you can see is that wall of hail that
1:05 pm
oftentimes follows the funnel cloud, just pummeling his vehicle after that funnel cloud, after the tornado hopped over his vehicle. the people -- the forecasters are able to tell us that all of the conditions are right to brew up the killer storms. they're unable to tell us exactly when and where they will kick up. so the locals out here are being told to stay weather aware. stay close to their iphones, their smartphones. stay close to weather radio. watch the local tv for the forecast, because these warnings come in just moments. someone says, the funnel cloud has formed up, you've got just moments to seek shelter. it's complicated in this part of the country, because like texas the houses are here are built on slam foundations and pier and beam foundations, meaning they don't have basements. your best chance of survival is in a basement of a house. a lot of people don't have storm
1:06 pm
shelters, so know which neighbors have storm shelters. get a plan in place, so when you get a warning that you've got moments to spare, you can get below ground, get as safe as possible. jamie in. >> thank you so much, mike tobin. >> mike tobin is on the ground tracking the storms. we've got the latest from the 30,000-foot level now, if you will. rhea is live in the fox news weather center. this is looking really bad today. >> really bad. a high-risk issued. basically there's only a few times a year that that advisory is issued out. it's very important that everyone living in those areas, like oklahoma, nebraska, parts of kansas, stay weather alert. know what to do when a tornado warning is issued for your area. while there's a risk of tornadoes in the afternoon areas, we'll see tornadoes possibly during the overnight hours, when people are sleeping, when it's dark out. know what to do. have a tv on or a noaa radio so you get those alerts when
1:07 pm
tornado warnings get issued for your area where there could be potentially on the ground, so you have a plan even during the nighttime hours when you can't see a tornado. we did have a brand-new particularly dangerous situation, tornado watch, issued out for parts of eastern nebraska just now in effect until 7:00 p.m. central time. in these areas, conditions are favorable for thunderstorms to develop that could produce, not just tornadoes, but long-track and also very violent tornadoes, ef4 and ef5 strength. that's a possibility. anywhere from eastern nebraska down into kansas and northwestern portions of oklahoma, you're currently under a pdf-type tornado watch, meaning you could see thunderstorms fire up that could produce long-track tornadoes. we're already seeing thunderstorms fire up across these hours. the other one is in effect until 7:00 p.m. central time.
1:08 pm
here's a look at that high-risk area. once again, where we can see the very dangerous weather stretching from parts of nebraska down in through oklahoma. john? >> maria molina with us today. good to have you with us watching all of this. this region is well aware of the damage the twisters can bring. back in 2007, an f5 tornado, that is the tropickest category, hit greensburg, kansas. it brought it 200-mile-an-hour winds. 11 people died. it lasted 65 minutes. by the time it was over, pretty much all that was left of greensburg was the name. 90% of the buildings were damaged or destroyed. it is right in the middle of the watch area right now. >> incredible. well, we have another fox news alert for you. there are diplomats that are now reporting encouraging progress in talks over iran's nuclear program. iranian negotiators are meeting in istanbul with envoys from the u.s. and other world powers,
1:09 pm
aimed at addressing concerns over iran's atomic program. the west does suspect that iran is working to develop a nuclear weapon, but iran is continuing to claim that its atomic program is intended for peaceful energy-producing purposes. so what can we expect from the latest nuclear talks? some are optimistic, some not so much. former u.n. ambassador to the u.n. has plenty to say about it. he'll join us live to weigh in. that's coming up for you. >> looking forward to that. >> president obama is working to stamp out a political firestorm that was triggered by democratic strategist hilary rosen's comments about mitt romney's wife, saying ann romney who raised five sons "hasn't worked a day in her life." some democrats fear rosen's comments could affect women at the polls. president obama weighed in,
1:10 pm
saying ms. rosen apologized, and that was appropriate. now i think we need to remind ourselves that we've got some big issues to debate in this country about tax policy, about how everybody in america gets a fair shot. there are more than enough differences between me and mr. romney that facts should be our focus. angela, let's start with you. is this going to be a three-day dust-up or could it have some lasting impact? >> it could have lasting impact. listen, president obama never says anything that he doesn't mean, and clearly the obama political machine is in damage control, because they saw what happened when hillary clinton in 1992 said i'm not like tammy wynette standing by my man. i could have chose to stay at home and bake cookies. the women's vote is a very strong, important voting block in this electorate. it makes up 53%.
1:11 pm
basically the democrat party is in damage control. >> right, but they're also in the driver's seat when it comes to women voters. in swing waits president obama leads mitt romney by 18 percentage points among women. christopher, do you think this will eat into that lead? >> you know, i think it's a three-day story that's going away, especially when we look at the republicans' dismal record on issues that matter to women. look at what they're doing around the country. they're passing these vaginal ultrasound bills. they're refusing to vote on things like the violence against women act. you got scott walker repealing the state version of the lilly ledbetter law. you got mitt romney saying, we'll get back to you on that, and then not condemning republicans who overwhelming voted against fair pay for women in the house and the senate. i think, listen, the republicans want to change the debate into this issue. it was wrong what hilary rosen said, but doesn't make up for
1:12 pm
years of republicans moving further and further to extremist positions on women's issues. >> what do you say to that, angela? >> christopher, i want to let you know that women care more about the contraceptives, women care more about dealing with tax-earned credits. $500 per child tax credits. i mean, we care more about issues than women issues. >> sure. >> american issues are women issues. and the bottom line is this, your party, you're very good at distraction, deflection and division -- >> deflection? >> your party gave us an issue to run on, where mitt romney and ann romney can demonstrate who they are and what they stand for. >> listen, angela, i love you, but hilary rosen is not exactly the party. she's a strategist. that's like saying i'm the party. she's a strategist. >> christopher, why is it, then, that obama made a statement -- if hilary rosen is not important
1:13 pm
to the party, why is it michelle obama has weighed in on this, joe biden weighed in, and the president weighed in on what hilary rosen said? >> let me weigh in. the white house jumped in very quickly, the president, first lady, and the vice president, to say we do not see it that way. don't know that they certainly threw hilary rosen under the bus, but offered a sharp contrast to her. >> right. >> does this whole thing open up a necessary conversation in this election campaign? and that is partially about the mummy track, about the value of women who raise kids at home, who stay out of the workforce, about equal pay for him, about the fact that's greatest number of people that have lost jobs in this economy are women? >> absolutely. first of all, the greatest number of people that lost jobs in this economy are women is not true. okay? it is talking about from the day the president took office, men have lost jobs at an equal rate as women. the president reacted quickly.
1:14 pm
let's contrast that to the way mitt romney reacted to rush limbaugh's vile comments about a month and a half ago. the president reacted, saying we're proud of the job ann romney did raising their boys, look like great people, contributing to society. that said there are more important issues in this debate when it comes to women's health and women's rights. they do not support equal pay for women. >> angela, if one thing can be said, angela, women are not a monolithic voting bloc. >> that's right. >> will all the women voting in november care about this or care about some other issues that are very close to their hearts? >> they're going to care about education, healthcare, who can create more jobs. >> right. >> about their future, about security. but democrats started this war on women by talking about the fact that mitt romney and republicans don't care about women's issues, and it has backfired. >> wait a minute. >> now you guys are in damage control.
1:15 pm
>> angela, angela, the republicans started this war on women by passing legislation that was anti to women's health and issues. look what they did in arizona this week where they said life begins at the end of the first period. >> angela and christopher, spirited discussion, one we'll continue on through to november, i think. >> absolutely. >> for the moment, though, i think we're going to have to leave it there. thanks for joining us today. really appreciate it. good to see you all. >> thank you. >> thanks for having you. >> clearly, john, you've shown both sides in that one. they disagree, that's for sure. all right, we're continuing to keep an eye on one of our top stories, and an interesting one,
1:16 pm
[ male announcer ] we imagined a vehicle that could adapt to changing road conditions. one that continually monitors and corrects for wheel slip. we imagined a vehicle that can increase emergency braking power when you need it most. and we imagined it looking like nothing else on the road today. then...we built it. the 2012 glk. where bold engineering meets bold design. starting at $35,880. where bold engineering meets bold design. [ dog ] it's our favorite. yours and mine.itar: upbeat ] because we found it. together. on a walk, walk, walk. love to walk. a long walk. a walk with you.
1:17 pm
a walk i smelled squirrels on, but i stayed by your side because i could tell, could feel, that you had a bad day... and me being bad wouldn't make it any better. but being there was already helping a little anyway. and then we found that wonderful thing. waiting there. waiting for you and me. and you smiled. and threw it. and i decided right when i picked it up, i would never, ever leave it anywhere. ever. because that wonderful, bouncy, roll-around thing... had made you play. and that had made you smile. [ announcer ] put more play in your day. beneful. play. it's good for you.
1:18 pm
1:19 pm
1:20 pm
>> new developments at this hour in what's certainly an embarrassing distraction for the white house. a prostitution inquiry involving an entire unit of president obama's secret service team. it's all going down during an international summit in colombia. here now the man who broke the story, ron kessler. he's the author of "in the president's secret service," also the chief washington correspondent for news max. ron, good to have you with us this afternoon. this story is moving quickly. we're learning more minute by minute. what do we know at this point? >> this was 12 agents who became involved with prostitutes in colombia, and it happened earlier this week. one of the prostitutes complained to police, because one of the agents refused to pay her. in colombia, prostitution is not illegal, so there's no problem
1:21 pm
reporting it. the police told the state department, state department told the secret service, which informed the white house. many of these agents were married. could have created a blackmail situation, which could have jeopardized the security of the president. could have even resulted in an assassination. on top of that, just the embarrassment of having this happen when the president is visiting a foreign country is incredible. this is -- the largest scam in the history of the -- scandal in the history of the secret service. on the other hand, the largest breach occurred under the same secret service director, when the saw halles crashed the dinner, and that story was broken. it's part of a cover-up that i write about in my book.
1:22 pm
>> a fine book it was, ron. you write about the potential security implications were here. are these part of the advance team, and were all 12 of them involved, or was the number smaller? >> all 12 were involved. most of them with the prostitution, a few ca with the cover-up. they were not the agents who actually are with the president at all times, but they are part of the protection. so they're just as important. >> right. >> you know, any breach involving any single agent is enough to create a situation where an nation could occur. the agents i talked to say that it's a miracle. as it is, given the corner-cutting, there hasn't been an assassination, because it ranges from letting people into events without metal detection to waving physical fitness and firearms
1:23 pm
requirements. just as one example recently, an agent was so overweight and out of shape she couldn't open the door of the president's limousine. so what was the solution? instead of, you know, removing her, requiring her to undergo physical fitness, the secret service said, well, just park the limousine in a way that would make it easier for her to open the door. >> well, we've always known, ron, that the secret service is tasked with an enormous burden, and that all of those agents certainly have to work long, long hours doing -- not just protecting the president, but so many other things as well. in addition to this being, i would assume -- maybe they didn't break the law here, but assuming a transgression of the code for the secret service, this is a distraction for the white house. they're there at the summit of the americas in colombia, they want that to be the message, around instead the press isn't talking about that at all, we're just talking about the secret
1:24 pm
service. >> can you imagine what obama feels like? at the same time he keeps expressing confidence in mark sullivan, the director. interesting to see if he gets it this time. mark sullivan should have been gone a long time. they should bring in a new director from the outside, such as bob meller was when he took over the fbi, not beholding to interests in the agency, who will stop this corner cutting, this culture of laxness. another example, when mary cheney, dick cheney's daughter, was under protection, she insisted that agents take her friends to restaurants. they're not taxi drivers. they're law enforcement. they refused, but the secret service management removed her detail leader because she complained about all that. so the message is, you know, if we follow the rules, we could be in trouble. that's what happened with the salahis, and creates this low
1:25 pm
morale. >> it's an incredible shock that something like this would happen. domestically it would be shocking. overseas it's enjoy. we'll see exactly how high the whole thing goes. ron kessler, good to talk to you this afternoon. thanks for stopping by. >> thank you, john. >> very interesting. we've meet secret service agents over the years. many are top gun. >> i covered the white house for 6 1/2 years, and every secret service agent i met to a person was an young standing individual, but i guess i didn't meet all of them. >> yeah. investigations to come for sure. for the first time in more than a year iran has showed up at the negotiating table, and they're willing to discuss their nuclear program. so what sort of progress can we really expect? is this just more of the same game from the islamic regime? former u.n. ambassador john bolton will join us live. >> legal gridlock from one of the most names in guitars. months after a federal raid, some wonder if gibson will ever
1:26 pm
get its day in court. stay with us. hmmm. fohalf the calories plus vgie nutrition. could've had a v8. gives you a 50% annual bonus. and who doesn't want 50% more cash? ugh, the baby. huh! and then the baby bear said, "i want 50% more cash in my bed!" phhht! 50% more cash is good ri... what's that. ♪ you can spell. [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. what's in your wallet? ha ha. ♪ fight both fast with new tums freshers! concentrated relief that goes to work in seconds and freshens breath. new tums freshers. ♪ tum...tum...tum...tum... tums! ♪ [ male announcer ] fast relief, fresh breath,
1:27 pm
all in a pocket sized pack. wow. this is new. yep, i'm sending the dancing chicken to every store in the franchise to get the word out. that could work. or you could use every door direct mail from the postal service. it'll help you and all your franchisees find the customers that matter most -- the ones in the neighborhood. you print it or we'll help you find a local partner. great. keep it moving, honey. honey? that's my wife. wow. there you go. there you go. [ male announcer ] go online to reach every home,
1:28 pm
every address, every time with every door direct mail.
1:29 pm
1:30 pm
>> another big story developing today -- we're keeping a close on it -- developments in istanbul. iran's diplomats meeting with world powers for new nuclear talks. they've shown up at the table. it's the first round of negotiations in more than a year. you may remember that the last time iran refused to even discuss its uranium enrichment activity. what can we expect from today's meetings? let's bring in former u.s. ambassador to the united nations, john bolton, also a fox news contributor. ambassador bolton, great to see you today. >> good to be here. >> are we making progress there? some envoys are saying that iran is bragging that things are going really well. how much time do we have to this before israel may have to step up and do something about it?
1:31 pm
>> it's very much in iran's interest, i think, to give the appearance that these negotiations could actually lead to something, that they would have a good tone, they would be positive discussions, and the iranians would float compromise proposals, and in fact they would simply try to drag this out as long as they can to achieve two objectives. one to give them more time and cover to continue their nuclear weapons program, and number two to provide the obama administration and europeans with arguments to israel not to use military force because, after all, the negotiations are in process. so the positive attitude that some diplomats, the european union in particular are conveying, as i say, very much in iran's interest to give that impression. >> take the veil away. what is really going on? do you think israel is watching and waiting or do you think they're primed to do something to protect their interests because they believe, like you, iran every day moves forward to
1:32 pm
build a nuclear weapon? >> yeah, exactly. every day that goes by means the centrifuges continue to spin, the work on the weapons continues, the work on ballistic missiles continues. so from israel's point of view, they've seen this movie before. we've had close to 10 years of negotiations with iran in one form or another over their nuclear weapons program. it's essentially produced nothing other than to give iran that precious resource of additional time to continue to move ahead. >> and more enriched uranium. i feel i've been talking to you about this for 10 years. and time is in their interest. if they were to make a deal, because they did show up at the table, and it's more than a year, what could that deal look like? what do you think iran would agree to do? >> well, i think the five permanent members of the security council in germany started off by making a mistake, by focusing on the so-called
1:33 pm
facility, deeply buried enrichment facility near the holy city, enriching uranium up to about 30% of the isotope. by focusing on that they allow iran direct negotiations toward something about that facility while ignoring the basic requirement or u.n. security council resolutions for six years that iran has to stop all uranium enrichment. so in a way they are legitimizing the enrichment up to reactor grade by concentrating on that. that's to iran's tactical advantage. my guess would be iran would try to exploit that by having a number of different proposals relating only to fordo and not the rest of the enrichment process. >> if they were to let inspectors in, they'd probably show these power facilities and medical facilities and not really the facilities that may be even buried right underneath
1:34 pm
them. the toughest sanctions are in place right now. would you say they're working or not working? >> well, i think it's too soon to tell for sure. i think the most likely outcome a dramatic change in the intercept price of oil is this will increase iran's cost. it will impose some economic harm to iran, but not nearly enough to have any impact on the nuclear weapons program. i think that's what the iranians are intending to offer by way of trade here, that, for example, if they would allow inspectors from the international atomic agency to visit, as they have before, but if they opened it again, they would ask for some relief on the sanctions. my guess is that the european union, and perhaps the obama administration, are willing to talk about that. that's why i say the iranians will attempt to exploit differences among the five permanent members. they have a much friendlier audience in the case of russia and china, and drive a wedge
1:35 pm
between the five permanent members, and see what they can get. >> how much time do we have? >> personally i think we're out of time. i think we've been out of time for quite some number of years, because our intelligence on iran is inadequate. we don't know for sure what the iranians are up to. but one thing you can bank on is that the iranians benefit every day that goes by, and they know it. >> we will keep a close eye on these meetings. ambassador bolton, thanks for coming in on a saturday to join us. >> thank you, jamie. >> take care. >> john in. >> a settlement with the nation's top five mortgage lenders expected to speed up foreclosures. next how the new guidelines could affect the price of every single home in america. and new hope for parkinson's patients. coming up, the groundbreaking treatment that could reverse the effects of the disease by 10 years. [ fabric flapping in wind ]
1:36 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
1:37 pm
[ flapping continues ] ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] at nissan, our ideal is innovation. 5 all-new models over the next 15 months, including a completely reimagined altima. welcome to our most innovative year ever. nissan. innovation for all. ♪
1:38 pm
[ male announcer ] want your weeds to hit the road? hit 'em, with roundup extended control. one application kills weeds, and stops new ones for up to four months. roundup extended control. [ crunches ] mmm. ♪ [ male announcer ] pringles... bursting with more flavor. [ crunch! ] [ roger ] tell me you have good insurance. yup, i've got... [ kyle with voice of dennis ] ...allstate. really? i was afraid you'd have some cut-rate policy. [ kyle ] nope, i've got... [ kyle with voice of dennis ] ...the allstate value plan. it's their most affordable car insurance -- and you still get an allstate agent. i too have...[ roger with voice of dennis ]...allstate. [ roger ] same agent and everything. [ kyle ] it's like we're connected. no we're not. yeah, we are. no...we're not. ♪ the allstate value plan. dollar for dollar, nobody protects you like allstate.
1:39 pm
1:40 pm
>> welcome back, everybody. there are new reports that a flood of home foreclosures may hit the real estate market. what will it mean? banks are starting to speed up the foreclosure process because they got a multibillion dollar mortgage settlement. so what does it do to the fragile housing market? let's talk with it the former managing director of morgan stanley. tell me what this settlement means to people who have made their mortgage payments on time and those who have decided they're going to stay in their homes and not pay for as long as years? >> i'll take the second part first. those that have paid for years, there's no thing as a free lunch, no such thing as a free stay at your house, they'll get a letter in the mail that says it's time to move. now they don't have courts behind them anymore. there will be unification of process, where they will be removed from the house.
1:41 pm
those currently in homes, the first part of your question, think about it, they've paid every day, toiled, make their mortgage payments, expect the values of their homes to go down, according to zillow about 3.5% to 4% over the next year. >> they're being punished? >> yes, they're being punished, quite a bit. i'll take it even further for you. there's going to be so much supply out there, jamie, it's going to stagnate the market for another year or two. let me share another factor fact to take it further, how bad they're getting punished. one in four homes right now are under water. >> right. >> because of that that equity value or negative equity value is $7.4 trillion. >> that means people are in homes that are worth less than they owe. >> correct. >> and this settlement comes along, then, not to protect homeowners? >> well, it was done to make the process -- when you signed a mortgage, it's a note and commitment to make a payment over x amount of months.
1:42 pm
unfortunately they may not have been able to keep those payments, so this is a court-induced program where they have to follow the laws and follow the -- take the issues that they have and take them outside of the house. >> so if you're in your house, and you haven't paid, do you still have the opportunity with the bank to make a deal? >> you can make a deal. again, that's a great question, because what you should do is go to the bank and say, would you settle for x? there's a phrase, called a short sale, or perhaps they will accept a little bit less. one of the reasons why banks might consider this, remember this, that foreclosed home, the nice thing it's been kept well, right? the lawn is still being kept. most foreclosed homes they haven't. offering them to make them, quote, a deal, may be modifying the interest rate, extending the rate of the loan. if you can afford those payments, absolutely it's the way to go. >> so any payment is a good payment if you can keep the loan active. this could spiral, though, if housing -- the homes are under water, the prices, because there's a lot of supply, will go
1:43 pm
down. you won't be able to sell your house for as much as you've said. also credit histories of a lot of folks could be destroyed for a long time. could we see this as an overall financial meltdown again? >> well, i don't know if it's going to be as far as a meltdown, but i will tell you this, housing will not get us out of the next economic funk we're in right now. >> what i don't understand is, bank stocks have been doing really well. >> the reason is because, think about this, for a different reason. bank stocks have done a very good job in terms of managing their businesses. so what they've done is, think of all the cash they have on hand, all the cash on the sidelines. those dollars that clients are not investing equities in various stocks and bonds, they're actually holding on to into their cash accounts and getting daily, spreads daily every day, and that's where they're making their money. >> if you're one those squatters, who have been in your house, not paid, what can you expect to happen? do you think really think that the banks, the courts, law enforcement have the tools and resources necessary to move
1:44 pm
these people out and along? >> well, you bring up an interesting point, because, look, there has to be a human element to this. there are families that will be relocated and children that need -- that need medical care. we'll ask them to leave their homes. part of this for the banks is not only the economic challenge, but to your point, this is almost a headline risk to this. right? i can almost see the news going, what's going to happen when someone is evicted from their home. it will be done in stages. it will be done carefully. there has to be a human resources element to it, if you would, to your question. >> rich, you're going to join us tomorrow on an interesting topic. if you can't afford that tax bill that comes on tax day, you'll tell us where we can go and what we can do to get the funds we need. i look forward to seeing you tomorrow. thank you so much. >> thank you, jamie. >> now to a former guitar-picking john roberts. >> not former. continuing. >> good to know. keep up the practice. >> a lot of people have been following this story. musicians, the furniture industry, musical instrument industry, because it has to do with exotic woods and whether
1:45 pm
it's illegal to import them or not. frustration mounting for gibson guitars after federal agents seized valuable materials during a raid at two of its factories. months later the guitar-maker is still waiting to see if it will have its day in court. it was seven months ago that federal agents with guns drawn raided gibson guitars, seizing wood from india used to make fret boards. the government claimed the wood was imported illegally, yet no sign that the department of justice will file criminal charges. the ceo says federal authorities have his company in limbo. >> while we're tweeting even get charged, they've taken aggressive action that's hurt our company significantly. >> what's more, it's been nearly three years since another raid at gibson. that time it was wood from madagascar that was seized. no charges from that raid yet either. michael mukasey, attorney general in the bush
1:46 pm
administration says the case and delay are absurd. >> certainly three years since the 2009 raid and even going on a year since the 2011 raid is more than enough time. this is not -- this is not brain surgery. >> near the doj, nor fish and wildlife service, which carried out the raids, would comment on the investigation, or why it's taken so long. but in the case of the indian wood, at least, the argument is simply over how much work was done overseas. the government argues that because this was wood was only roughly cut to size and not finished like this, it was illegal to export from india, but the indian government is happy to export this, even calling it's a finished musical instrument part. republicans, even some democrats, say it's a clear case of government overreach. >> this is basically a high-profile demonstration that the obama administration has released the regulatory and enforcement dogs on the american people and american businesses. >> while the criminal investigation drags on, the doj
1:47 pm
has blocked gibson's civil suit to gets its wood back. since it can't import more wood from india for fear of being raided again, gibson is forced to use alternatives, even composite materials, its purest customers might reject outright. >> and so we're in a competitive disadvantage long term, you know, our business will suffer, and possibly quite severely. >> some former federal prosecutors i spoke with said it's not unusual for an investigation to go on for months after an enforcement action before a decision is made on charges, but even than they acknowledge three years is an awfully long time. >> sure seems like it. i bell you'll stay on that one for us. thank you. we have great information for you, or maybe someone you love. a potential breakthrough in the fight against parkinson's disease. there's a radical new treatment, and it may help turn back the clock on the symptoms. >> plus, a severe weather threat. we mean severe. the most dangerous conditions
1:48 pm
expected to hit just a few hours from now. where they are expected to be the worst straight ahead. this is delicious okay... is this where we're at now? we just eat whatever tastes good? like these sweet honey clusters... actually there's a half a day's worth of fiber in every ... why stop at cereal? bring on the pork chops and the hot fudge. fantastic. are you done sweetie? yea [ male announcer ] fiber one.
1:49 pm
having one of those days? sweetie? yea tired. groggy. can't seem to get anything done. it makes for one, lousy day. but when you're alert and energetic... that's different. you're more with it, sharper, getting stuff done. this is why people choose 5-hour energy over 9-million times a week. it gives them the alert, energetic feeling they need to get stuff done. 5-hour energy...when you gotta get stuff done.
1:50 pm
1:51 pm
>> a possible new hope today for parkinson's patients.
1:52 pm
scientists developing a revolutionary new treatment for the debilitating disease. >> love when we can give you this information, because you probably know someone who has it. this involves just one single injection to the brain. what does it do? a member of our fox news medical a team and the vice-chair of the urolling department at new york's mount sinai hospital. doc, good to see you. >> nice to see you both. >> i know you looked into this extensively, because this is something that affects so many people. is this a miracle cure? >> well, we think this is a really nice groundbreaking news coming out of uk. they're starting to do this kind of experiment in oxford. what's exciting about this is that parkinson's disease right now it's affecting over 4 million people all over the world. in the next two decades, the number are going to go up to about 9 million. so i'm glad this is really coming to the surface. now, parkinson's, we all have seen some friend or relative that has this kind of tremor on one side that progressively gets worse over the years. they have rigid movement, and
1:53 pm
have difficulty initiating the movement. it really affects their quality of life. in the past, you can see the tremors this, in the past we've been treating this with medications. the issue here is the fact that the amount of dopamine in the brain is such lower. so the new exciting treatment that we have now is that this scientists have taken the virus, strip virus, put in the gene, responsible to create the enzymes for dopamine, and they're inserting it into the deep part of the brain, which is very, very exciting. over time the enzymes can actually create the hormone called dopamine, again, and that's going to smooth out all their movements, lower the amount of medications they need. you can see for the first time patients like this are able to have these kind of fine movements and be able to write, which is really, really exciting. >> i understand that woman was able to write something for the first time, put pen to paper for
1:54 pm
the first time in more than a decade. so it really is quite remarkable. how does this compare, doctor, to deep brain stimulation, which we have seen in the past, where electrodes are inserted in a similar area, not the same area of the brain, to try to produce dopamine? >> it's an excellent question. that involves real surgery. it's a little more complicated. unfortunately we haven't seen really good outcome as a result of that. while that improved some of the systems, this is promise. the problem we have right now, while the animal studies are excellent, we've only done this in 15 patients out of oxford, and there's more and more studies that we need. by i think injecting it in the sensitive part of the brain, now you're starting to regenerate that part of the brain that actually gives the neurotransmitters and dopamine and that's going to change. i'm very excited about, this because it's more sensitive and you can see, the deep part of the brain, called striata,
1:55 pm
you're working on the molecular level, and we hope to bring it to america very soon. >> that was my question. when do you think it will come here, even in clinical trials? >> five to seven years, but i want to mention the name of the actual treatment, prosavin. p-r-o-s-a-v-i-n. hopefully in the near future we can bring better news. >> the results, particularly in that one woman, truly amazing. you're dealing with a virus, as you said. you take the genetic material out of a virus that would cause disease, and put in other things which injects a gene. are there any risks with a viral vector, particularly deep into the heart of the brain? >> yes. i think it's another good question here. these viruses are all stripped down, meaning that the risk of getting any kind of infection from these viruses are minimum.
1:56 pm
we use these kind of vectors all the time in our research. i don't think there's concern about that. very exciting news for people that are affected by parkinson's disease. >> very exciting. a lot of young people, too. doctor, see you tomorrow for sunday house call 10:30 a.m. great to see you. i'm jamie colby. john, you have more to do today. >> we'll leave you for now, but i'll see you back here at 6:00 p.m. eastern. >> take care, everybody. [ dad ] i'm usually checking up on my kids,
1:57 pm
but last year my daughter was checking up on me. i wasn't eating well. she's a dietitian, and she suggests that i try boost complete nutritional drink to help get the nutrition i was missing. now i drink it every day and i love the great taste. [ female announcer ] boost has 26 essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium and vitamin d to help keep bones strong and 10 grams of protein to help maintain muscle. and our great taste is guaranteed or your money back. learn more at boost.com. [ dad ] i choose great taste. i choose boost.
1:58 pm
learn more at boost.com. kiss those lines goodbye! discover juvéderm® xc, the smooth gel filler your doctors uses to instantly smooth out those parentheses lines around your nose and mouth for up to a year! temporary side effects include redness, pain, firmness, swelling, bumps or risk of infection. lose those lines! the way you look with juvéderm® xc,
1:59 pm
might just change the way you look at everything. ask your doctor and visit juvederm.com. [ male announc ] you plant. you mow. you grow. you dream. meet the new definition of durability: the john deere select series. with endless possibilities, what will you create? ♪ learn more about the new select series x310 with power steering at johndeere.com/x310. >> this week on

200 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on