Skip to main content

tv   The Late Show With Stephen Colbert  CBS  January 25, 2016 11:35pm-12:37am PST

11:35 pm
>> stephen colbert, y'all! (cheers and applause) >> stephen: thanks, everybody! whooo! (cheers and applause) oh, that's nice. >> stephen, stephen, stephen! stephen, stephen, stephen! >> stephen: thanks, everybody! (cheers and applause) >> stephen: thank you very much. welcome to the show, in here, out there, all over. i'm going to choose to believe that you wanted to applaud for me and were not just fighting the frost bietd. welcome to the late show. i'm stephen colbert. everybody okay? everybody feeling all right? (cheers and applause). >> stephen: you guys get through it okay? stayed warm the whole time.
11:36 pm
>> stephen: count your fingers and toes, they could snap off like a graham cracker. what an incredible weekend. you know, a little dangerousk a little fun, kind of exciting, winter storm jonas slammed the east coast, some places got up to three feet of snow, more than 12,000 flights were cancelled so for the airlines, it was business as usual. (laughter) (cheers and applause). >> stephen: aniff's got to say, after a really warm december, this was kind of a relief, you know, climate change has not ended winter, it just packed the whole damn thing into one weekend. new york city got 26.8 inches of snow. whiteout continues, trecherrous, it looked like it was snowing up for awhile. (laughter) it was really exciting. it was the kind of weather that makes you feel like a child again and only for the fact that just to get down the street you had to walk like this. you kind of had to--
11:37 pm
>> jon: yeah! (cheers and applause). >> stephen: but i was fully prepared for the worst. all weekend i put on my top notch winter gear, pajamas. they were plenty waterproofed because i did not leave the house or take a shower. i did get up early on sunday to do some shoveling of pancakes into my mouth. (laughter) and this is interestk, i don't know if you do this, you do the little heart app on your phone to tell you how much you moved for like a day, i have been using that lately on my phone. it tracks the number of steps you take in a day. you are supposed to get something like 10,000 in a day. and i'm usually pretty close. here's friday, okay, almost 9,000, not bad.
11:38 pm
(laughter) (applause) 20 steps. the math checked out. my bed is 10 steps from my couch. (laughter) but there were a few brave souls facing the elements this weekend like new jersey governor and presidential candidate chris yisie. who went out. don't know why that is funny yet. (laughter) but evidently he's just so jolly. and seems like a nice guy. so he went out, he went out to the people of new jersey and he stayed laser focused on addressing people's concerned about this snow storm. >> it does matter whether you have the sensitivity to know how people react to this stuff. and to make them feel safe and secure and that is whether it is an impending storm or the scourge of radical islamic jihadist terrorism. (laughter). >> stephen: i'm sorry, what? what happened? did i just black out somewhere in the middle there. man, with all that ice on the road i can't believe he could
11:39 pm
snow and terrorism, i would spin out. (cheers and applause) i'm jacknifing! i'm jacknifing! >> jon: boom. >> stephen: the track coming around, knocking down lampposts. so i hope everybody stayed safe out there. because according to governor christie the roads are very icy, also very isis. (laughter) now-- (applause). >> jon: it's so rare that isis gets applause. (laughter) speaking of sudden changes of subject, we've got a great show for you tonight, ladies and gentlemen. (cheers and applause). >> jon: theart. >> stephen: first up i sit down with former secretary of defense donald rumsfeld, donald rumsfeld. (applause) he has got a new smartphone app that is available at the app store.
11:40 pm
even if you can't find it, keep searching. all the intelligence says the app is in there somewhere. plawses (applause) then-- it's fun, it's very good. then and then i'll start with nba superstar russell westbrook. (cheers and applause). >> stephen: he is a superstar point guard for the oklahoma city thunderer which i'm pretty sure is also a flavor of mountain due. now i said last week our musical guest was going to be donald rumsfeld. i was high on robe tuesday-- robitussin, apologize. it turns out we have the legendary jackson browne tonight. (cheers and applause) he will perform his song the long way around, a rockin'
11:41 pm
ask for directions. and, ah, that, my friends, is music coming to us courtesy of jon batiste and stay human. say hi, everybody. (cheers and applause) they are about to prime the jazz pump, but before they do, one more thing, a community in san sai, california, is complaining that a local buddhist temple is too noisy. it makes sense. just imagine the sound of all those one hands clapping. >> tonight, stephen welcomes donald rumsfeld. nba star russell westbrook. and a musical performance by
11:42 pm
featuring jon batiste and stay human. and now its' time for the late show with stephen colbert slasm (cheers and applause) >> stephen, stephen, stephen! stephen, stephen, stephen! >> stephen: thank you so much, please. sit down, everybody. thank you so much. this is nice. (cheers and applause). >> stephen: hey, are you all excited for the super bowl yet? (cheers and applause). >> stephen: i am, it is the
11:43 pm
and this time it is personal for me because directly after the game on super bowl sunday night i'm hosting a live late show from here in the ed sullivan man cave. so let's go to our precoverage of my post super bowl spectacular, this is. >> the road to the supershow, countdown to the leadup to the post game preview. late show lix vee. >> stephen: it's called lix vee, partly because those are the roman neum rales for our 87th show, which it is. but mostly because if you put-- (cheers and applause). >> stephen: thank you. applauding for 87, of course, this is a prime number. people love prime numbers. so we call it lix vee because that is the roman neum ral for our 87th show, but also bus because you put enough buffalo
11:44 pm
anything. now did y'all catch the games yesterday? in the afc championship it was the broncos beating the new england patriots 20-18. (cheers and applause) a tough, tough day for tom brady. seen here trying to-- i know, i know, i know. you feel bad for him. seen here trying to cheer up by feeling how fabulous his bone structure is. oh my god, i'm so handsome to blind people. and in the nfc championship, the carolina panthers did to the arizona cardinals what panthers do to cardinals. toy with them a little then rip
11:45 pm
final score was 49-15. cam newton was nearly flawless while carson palmer seemed to struggle with some of the finer points of football like throwing the ball to his own teammates. hard job. i'm sure it's a hard job. so my congratulations to both the panthers and the broncos. be sure and tune in super bowl sunday night to see them go at it and stick around to see my very special live late show right after the game. jimmy, put up the countdown clock, 307 hours until kickoff, start marinating your ribs now. (cheers and applause) speaking of violent conflict, the 2016 election. really? really? this many people still? they're having-- everybody, don't wake him up.
11:46 pm
it's already the last week of january which means we're just seven days away from the iowa caucus. it's that special season when we pretend to know what a caucus is. even though we're so close, the gop still hasn't rallied around one candidate, the two frontrunners, cruz and trump, of course, are known by their celebrity couple name, crump. (laughter) (applause) i like that. donald trump still holds a commanding lead in national polls so the gop establishment is lining up behind him to push him in front of a train. (laughter) last week and this is true, last week conservative journal the national review came out with an entire issue against trump. it's filled with anti-trump essays by conservatives across the political spectrum, bill kristol, michael medved, erik
11:47 pm
countess,ed monopoly guy, basically all of these guys are saying go to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200. and here's a tape, and this is republicans, republicans. here is a taste of some of the gop attack on the gop frontrunner. >> a president trump would be a terrible face of america. he's an absolute narcissist. >> mark hall principle writes trump is like a tape worm has innovated the scis matically weakened body of the republican party. bill kristol says is he the very epitome of vulgarity. >> if they put donald trump, if they try to put donald trump in office, if that's what the people want, you are going to see an end to the republican party. >> stephen: now i just want to remind you, to be clear, this is his own party saying bad things about the leader in the polls donald trump. i might actually like donald botter than they do.
11:48 pm
he was got for ratings, and he left the entire theater smelling like brut aftershave. (laughter) really nice. wasn't it nice? really nice. might be high karate, i'm not sure. and not only does the establishment not like the frontrunner, they don't like the second runner either, texas senator and half melted gi joe ted cruz. ted krudz is so reviled by those in congress and then he, especially in the senate, that they're saying done alt trump would be better for the party than ted cruz. >> bob dole told "the new york times" the party would face cataclysmic and wholesale losses if it nominated cruz. >> north carolina senator burr said in a private meeting he would actually rather vote for bernie sanders over ted cruz. >> stephen: what? (cheers and applause) ted, you just got thrown under the bus and it's a v-w bio
11:49 pm
(laughter) did we just run over ted cruz? let me back up and check. beep, beep, yup, there's ted. they don't like him. (laughter) so some republicans would get behind anybody but donald trump while others are on board for anybody but ted cruz. and some like south carolina senator and tennessee williams ingenue lindsey graham cannot stand either man saying of the choice, it is like being shot or poisoned, what does it really matter. (laughter) (applause) boom. i say why not a joint ticket. shot poison 2016. and both of these guys are going to be hard to stop, especially donald trump.
11:50 pm
bulletproof which is sadly not the case for some hypothetical new yorkers. >> i have most loyal people. did you ever see this, where i could stand in the middle of fifth avenue and shoot somebody and i wouldn't loose any voters, okay. >> stephen: to explain how impressive that is for those of you without don't live in new york, fifth avenue is an extremely crowded street in manhattan where it is illegal to shoot people. can't do it. you can't do it. it's frowned on. no one wants that. >> jon: you can't do that. >> stephen: generally they stop you from doing that. now trump isn't saying he could get away with murder. he's saying it is all about loyalty that is what trump told john dikerson on yesterday's nation face. >> you said yesterday you could shoot someone on fifth avenue and wouldn't lose voters. are you that confident, huh? >> well, i have a very great group of people, john. i mean i have people that are so loyal and it's been so reported and even in your poll, but in a
11:51 pm
the loyaltiy factor. and my factor is up, when you add it all up it is pretty much close to 90%. leave. they will not leave. >> stephen: that's right. (laughter) i think that represents a huge problem for one person, donald trump. cuz when i hear this man say nothing can stop me from winning, not even shooting people, i don't hear a an appeal to voters, i hear a cry for help. just remember, here is a guy who ran for president probably to promote his reality show or his mattress brand, or his line of premium ex-wives. and now it looks like he might actually win. and no matter what he says or does, criticizing women, attacking mexicans, banning muslims, saying john mccain say loser for being a prisoner of war, none of it affects his popularity. so he may not be saying i can shoot someone and still be elected president.
11:52 pm
someone and still be selected president. because donald trump can't possibly really want to be president. it's the hardest job in the world. he knows that the presidency, if it can do this to barack obama in eight years, imagine what donald trump will look like. (laughter) we'll be right back with donald rumsfeld. (applause) finally, something that's not too good to be true. it's oscar mayer natural turkey breast, and it tastes great. (music)
11:53 pm
presentations, or meetings i gave up my nights for. (music's drums intensify) but days like this, i'll never forget. get out there, in the 2016 ford escape. be unstoppable. this is my fight song take back my life song (music) music throughout "forget about the cowboy walk because of a saggy diaper" "it's time to dance freely" "thanks to new pampers cruisers" "the first and only diaper that helps distribute wetness evenly into three extra absorb channels." "so it doesn't sag and stays dryer" "so wiggle it" "jiggle it" "and do, whatever that is, in new pampers cruisers" "love, sleep and play. pampers" other wireless carriers make families share data. not t-mobile!
11:54 pm
and no sharing. just thirty-five bucks a line at t-mobile. aflac. ohh ah ah aflac! aaaaf-lac! ta-daa! he's not a very good magician. he paid my claim in just one day. one day?! shh! how does he do it? in just one day, we process, approve and pay.
11:55 pm
>> stephen: welcome back, everybody. my first guest tobt is a former u.s. secretary of defense and now an app developer, ladies and gentlemen, donald rumsfeld. (applause) >> that's quite an audience you have here. >> stephen: isn't that a nice audience which my goodness, yes. >> stephen: let me start off. >> let me say i'm glad i'm not running for president. (laughter) i'm glad i'm. >> stephen: i'm glad i'm not
11:56 pm
were you ever tempted to run for president? did you ever want to be a politician. >> i was a congressman for awhile. >> stephen: what is the biggest difference between washington then and washington now. >> they didn't allow television in the house of representatives and the senate back in those days. >> stephen: you guys could have been doing anything in there. it was like the illuminati with secret handshakes. >> and some of them probably were. >> stephen: we'll get into the conspiracy theories in the second interview. >> come on. >> stephen: the first question have i to ask you is one i never thought i would ask any secretary of defense, tell me about your app. why did you want to develop an >> history. >> stephen: sis lee-- history. >> yeah. >> stephen: it's call the churchill solitaire. >> because he played the game a great deal and he taught to t to a friend of mine. >> stephen: here it is, called churchill solitaire, right there. what is churchill solitaire, what makes it different?
11:57 pm
full decks, 104 cards and there is, a lot like regular solitaire except up at the top there is the double six. and you have to get those cards off in sequence and over on the aces. and it is complicated. it's strategic. i can understand why churchill enjoyed playing it. >> stephen: the man beat hitler. when did he have time-- to develop a solitaire game? it takes a little bit of the blush off the legacy, i got to say. >> is he always like this? (cheers and applause). >> stephen: this is actually much nicer than i usually am. (laughter) >> . >> stephen: okay so how do you know that he developed this? >> because he befriended a young belgian diplomat that was living in london, the government was in exile. an when the nazis took over belgium. and he taught it to this man and this man taught it to me. i was u.s. ambassador to nato. >> stephen: so the only three
11:58 pm
playing it at one point? >> i don't know who else winston churchill taught. i know he taught a friend of mine. a couple of friends of mine who were still alive. but most of them were gone through the ages. >> stephen: how much is this going to cost me, don rumsfeld? >> think of it this way. every cent of profit goes to charities, generally to support the military or their families or the families of the wounded. (applause) i hope you sign up for the app, and i hope you spend a lot of money. >> stephen: isn't it free? isn't it a free app. >> the first one. >> stephen: at first it's free. >> there are a few free ones and then they start asking you to sign up for more games. >> stephen: you know this makes you sound like a crack dealer, donald rumsfeld. >> no. (laughter). >> stephen: that's what you sound like. stick around, i want to talk about important things happening in the world that you might have an opinion on. will you do that?
11:59 pm
>> stephen: okay. >> but i'm basically very shy. >> stephen: you're a very shy person? >> yeah, yeah. >> stephen: i'm sure. the app is called churchill solitaire, we'll be right back with more donald rumsfeld. stick around.st opinion about this new car. to keep things unbiased, we removed all the badging and logos. so, what do you think it is? i would say lexus. maybe acura. feels like a bmw. let's look at the interior. reminds me of the inside of my friend's lexus. so, this car supports apple carplay siri, open maps. nice. wow. she gets me. someone really took their time laying this out. yeah. this car also has teen driver technology. it even mutes the radio until the seatbelts are buckled. wow. my husband could use that. i'm very curious what it is. what price range would you put this car in? fifty to sixty-five. the eighty-thousand dollar bracket. well, what if i told you this is the 2016 chevy malibu? this is a malibu? yeah, let's go check it out. no way, it's a chevy!
12:00 am
and it sells for? it starts at twenty-two five. gasp! what? oh wow. i'm very impressed. yeah. i mean with all this technology? that's a game changer, really. i want one. i'll take the house, too. here we go. ah man, who invited these guys? hey clay, it's cool if we order some delivery? it's time for you guys to make the right call. we're having digiorno pizza, fresh-baked in my own oven. okay. it's not delivery, it's digiorno. adventures from $599, plus up to $300 to spend at sea. come seek the royal caribbean. offer ends february 15th. e trade is all about seizing opportunity. so i'm going to take this opportunity to go off script. so if i wanna go to jersey and check out shotsy tuccerelli's portfolio, what's it to you? or i'm a scottish mason whose assets are made of stone like me heart. papa!
12:01 am
or perhaps it's time to seize the day. don't just see opportunity, seize it! (applause) we call ourselves the greenwood runners. the open water paddlers. the hike life trail club. for us it's not about running faster. it's about being out here together. the feeling is hard to describe. you cant put put into words. but we don't have to. for friends who come together to reach for better. we brew a superior tasting light beer with fewer carbs and calories.
12:02 am
>> stephen: welcome back, everybody. we're back with donald rumsfeld. okay, secretary rumsfeld, donald rumsfeld, are you ever upset that now there is another donald out there who is even more famous than you about not apologizing for anything? because he will not back down from anything he's ever said. do you-- does he strike you as a commander in chief? >> i don't know him. i've never met him. >> stephen: really? >> what strikes me about him is
12:03 am
bernie sanders and donald trump can pull crowds of 20,000 people to an event to hear them speak. presidents don't do that. vice presidents don't do that. >> stephen: i think they're appealing on an emotional level. people are very frustrated with what is going on in washington and whether or not you agree with what either man is saying, they're saying i agree with you. we have to change the status quo in some ways. >> i think you are probably right. they are touching a nerve somewhere. >> stephen: does the secretary of defense affect policy or implement policy? >> the president is the policy maker. and he takes recommendations from his cabinet and from senior officials in the white house. and then he makes a judgement. he decides what ought to be done. and the american people basically decide because they decide who is going to be president. and that's the way the system works. >> stephen: when the decision was played to go into iraq in
12:04 am
now which is a chaotic iraq and syria with control of isis and or the chaos following the arab spring in areas as well, is the situation we have now, was it ever considered to be an outcome? was this a worst-case scenario or a beyond worst-case scenario? >> i think the disorder in the entire regon and the conflict between the sunnies and the shia is something that generally people had not anticipated. on the other hand, if you think what eisenhower said, he said the plan is nothing, planning is everything. the point being that anything changes with first contact with a problem. the enemy has a brain. they make decisions. people ask me well, why are they doing what they're doing. and the answer is they're doing what they are doing because they can do it. because they don't have big armies, big navies, big air
12:05 am
with us. so they are attacking from an assymetrical standpoint and they're trying to destroy the nation state concept in the world. the first thing they do is to eliminate a border, for example, between iraq and syria. >> stephen: the top two republicans and the top two democrats, none of them think that going into iraq was the right choice to make. do you have any reflection on the decision to go into iraq? do you still think it was the right thing to do 12 years later? >> i think when the president made the decision, there were-- the iraqi government had opposed something like 15 or 16 u.s. resolutions. they were reprossive. they had used chemical weapons on their neighbors, the iranians. they used chemical weapons on their own population, the kurds. and there was a lot of evidence that they-- they already used chemical weapons. and it seems to me the president given the facts he had from the intelligence community made the
12:06 am
in retrospect, they didn't find large cashes-- caches of chemical or biological weapons. although the u.n. inspector did say they had the facilities still there, the people were still there, they had the capability and the precursors to these weapons were still there. and they could have reconstituted them in a matter of weeks. >> stephen: there is one question that gets asked of you and other people who were in favor of the invasion of 2003 in iraq that i just question i don't think is fair. which is. >> then why ask an unfair question. >> stephen: no, no, no i will tell you why i think it's unfair, i will ask a different question. i think this question is unfair, which is if you knew now-- if you knew then what you knew now, would you maked same decision. you only then what you know then. >> that's right. >> stephen: you only now now what you know now. and our now is tomorrow's then. so they'll be saying the same things to the decisions gets made today, 15 years from now. >> it's true.
12:07 am
to your most famous saying which is talking about uncertainty in the world. that there are no knowns, things we know we know, and tell me if i get this wrong. cuz i know this is your baby. there are known unknowns. things we know that we don't know. and there are also unknowns unknowns. >> but in this case, isn't the one that got us something that is-- there's a fourth option that no one ever talks about. which is the unknown knowns. which is the thing that we know, and then we choose not to know them or not let other people know we know. that there are some things-- (applause). >> stephen: recently a 2002 memo from the joint chiefs of staff says that 90% of the. >> i'm going to save you embarrassment.
12:08 am
embarrassed, i'm a comedian. this thing came out, it says our knowledge of the iraqi new clear weapons program is based largely perhaps 90% on analysis of imprecise intelligence. so there is analysis of intelligence that you believe that there are weapons of mass destruction in iraq, and i believe that sin certificately. i don't think anybody made up the belief that there were weapons of mass destruction. that is cynicism beyond i would ever want to think of my government. i believe that everybody believed that they were there. but there was no hard proof that they were there. >> uh-huh. >> stephen: and yet it was presented to the american people as if there was. so there was an unknown known for the american people. it was known that there was not hard evidence, but we were presented a partial picture. and that's the unknown known that we were denied. do you think that was the right thing to do? >> well, first of all, that memo was sent by the joint chiefs of staff. >> stephen: yes.
12:09 am
>> stephen: uh-huh. >> and made it public years ago. >> stephen: i know it's declassified. >> well, yeah, but-- i don't put classified things on my website. (laughter) i want you to know that. >> stephen: all right. you can get in trouble for that. >> yeah. >> stephen: i'm not trying to you an unfair question, i'm trying to ask you what i think is a fair thing. were there things that the administration, or you knew that we didn't learn about out of the best possible intentions which is there were things that would undermine the case for a war you thought was necessary to save the united states. >> the president had a available to him intelligence from all elements of the government. and the national security council members had that information. it was all shared. it was all supplied. and it's never certain, if it were-- if it were a fact, it
12:10 am
>> stephen: wow. i think you answered my question. (laughter) i mean-- is intelligence is tough to do. and what you do is you look at all of that and if you've got a certain set of facts that you can never fie 100 percent, and then there is information that is not capable of being verified 100 percent, and it's out of that aggregation of information that presidents make decisions all the time. >> stephen: i guess the ultimate question is, is that because there turned out to be no weapons of mass destruction and because the american people now feel a majority that it was the wrong war, do you think it undermines our trust of the government, that is necessary for your intelligence apparatus that you are describing to do their job. because if you say trust us, we've got this, and you get it
12:11 am
damage that we won't trust them next time. >> i think there's always a risk that people looking at government will come to the conclusion that they may not be right. that is why we have a democracy. i mean that's why people vote and they make judgements. and we-- i think most people in the united states understand that government is not perfect. i mean look how long it takes to get snow removed. but on the other hand, i think what's really important are the intentions and the capability of the people and for the most part, i think it was churchill who said that democracy is the worse form of government except for any other that's ever been tried. and-- . >> stephen: you no he what else he said? try my solitaire game. churchill solitaire. donald rumsfeld, everybody. thank you, sir. >> thank you.
12:12 am
>> thank you fact. advil pain relievers are used by more households than any other leading brand. to treat their aches and pains more people reach for advil. relief doesn't get any better than this.
12:13 am
straight talk's unlimited plan saves me money. in fact, i saved enough to help with this trip to hawaii. but to prove that i also get one of america's largest and most dependable networks, i'll call my brother. he's in alaska. hey tom. how's it going? today i got up around 11:30, and then i went snorkeling. and it is amazing, e water is so-- best phones. best networks. half the cost. make your tax return go further and save on the samsung galaxy grand prime. unlimited talk, text and data is just $45 a month.
12:14 am
stephen: welcome back, everybody. my next gust is a point guard for the oklahoma city thunder, a five-time nba all-star, olympic
12:15 am
and a philanthropist. please welcome russell westbrook. (applause) or as i point guard for oklahoma city thunder, just selected to nba all-star team for the fifth time, game february 14th, congratulations. >> thank you, thank you, thank you. >> stephen: 2015 all-star game mvp, average 24 points per game, lead the nba in steals, second in assists. are you just absolutely petal to the metal all the time, especially when it comes to the dunks. jim?
12:16 am
>> stephen: wow. (cheers and applause) not everybody dunks that hard. you see kevin dur ant he's worried are you going to hurt yourself. >> i worry myself sometimes, i do, i do. >> stephen: when you dunk that net makes a whip crack sound. >> yeah, you know, i like to dunk hard because i don't like guys to block my shot. so i figure it is the only way if a dunk very, very hard so that is what i try to do. >> stephen: right. you know, do you get extra points for dunking harder, because-- some of those was like you should get four points. >> i really wish they changed the rule where the harder you dunk the more points you get. i would get a lot of points. >> stephen: do you remember your first dunk. >> i do. my furs dunk was a high school game against my rival high school, got a fast break. i hadn't dunked before but i knew when i got a chance i was going to jump as high as i could. i got about this much over the
12:17 am
my first dunk so i was happy about that. >> stephen: actually making your first dunk give you the power to dunk higher the next time because now you know you can? >> it gives you a sense of confidence. that was my first time dunking in the game so from then on i have been dunking ever since. >> stephen: no one can doubt your sense of confidence. i mean you show it in your style. let me talk about some of the things you wear out and about. you are a fashion play. this right here. >> yeah. >> stephen: that is you, i got to say you look good in this. this would get me punched in the face if i wear that out. here is another one. this is you just on a chilly night, just keeping toasty warm. >> yeah, it was cold here. i was actually here in new york, fashion week. i was running around and i got a little cold. have i my lint roller in my hand, you can tell. >> stephen: you travel with a lint roller? >> you know, i was afraid the -- would get on my clothes and the whole get-down. >> stephen: you could pay someone to do that for you. >> yeah, i would rather do it myself. >> stephen: this one i like
12:18 am
they don't actually have lenses. >> no lenses. i see better without them. >> stephen: wow. it's funny, i actually have lenses with no frames. you are praims with no lenses. >> see. >> stephen: you brought me a little selection. >> i do. i have-- . >> stephen: you have your own line of glasses. >> i do have my own line of glasses, i do. >> stephen: what are they called westbrook frames. >> stephen: that will do it. do you have any suggestions because i will go with yours. >> let me see. let me look. i'm gonna go with the green ones for you. >> stephen: really? >> the green ones. they are call the the venice. >> stephen: venice? >> the venice. let me see. (cheers and applause) >> looking good, looking good. stephen, the first thing somebody said is you look hot. that is-- that's a good thing. >> stephen: let me try this one on. i like this. >> okay. >> stephen: i don't think i have enough skull to pull this
12:19 am
welding. >> those are even bigger. one? >> okay, i will go with these. (laughter). >> stephen: i think i look a little bit like mid '80s sally jessie rafael. those are nice because those are actually camo pattern cuz you can wear those and no one will know you have them on. >> not at all. >> stephen: where do you get these? >> you get:get these online westbrookframes.com. >> stephen: and you also have your own line at barnies. >> i do. >> stephen: are these the kind of clothes that would look good on a guy who is not 6 foot 3 and an nba player, i could wear them. >> absolutely, 100 percent. yeah, yeah, sure. (laughter). >> stephen: thank you for that vote of confidence. >> i have a jacket on here. >> stephen: i could wear that, >> see? >> stephen: yeah, good luck with the mvp. i'm sure are you being to get it
12:20 am
game. >> thank you, i appreciate it. >> stephen: check out russell's designs at barneys and westbrook frames.com. russell westbrook, everybody. thank you so much excuse me, but what does this have to do with chemistry? this isn't 'advanced figure drawing'? down the hall. well, do you mind if i borrow some of your cologne? confulish. that stings, that stings. confused and foolish. that stings. hunger keeps inventing new problems, so we invented new snickers crisper. crawfish shorts i like your style hooked it just a little bit (window breaks, car alarm sounds) don't open that cellar door
12:21 am
lucky shot. mmm mmm mmm mm mmm mm mmmmm other wireless carriers make families share data. not t-mobile! switch now and get four lines with up to six gigs each. and no sharing. just thirty-five bucks a line at t-mobile. late night at denny's withpancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage,oj and coffee it's the best way to celebrate friendship. even if we just met an hour ago. denny's grand slam slugger, part of the 2, 4, 6, 8 value menu. denny's.
12:22 am
since 1961, pearle vision has provided the neighborhood with expert eye care. that was dr. stanley pearle's vision and we still proudly carry on his legacy. today, doctors like lisa hamilton perform eye exams that can help detect diabetes. because we care for you... and your eyes. this is genuine eye care, in your neighborhood.
12:23 am
snoats you know the basic bargain of america is if you work hard, and you do your part, you should be able to get ead and stay ahead. but so many families don't feel like their hard work pays off. that's not the way america is supposed to operate. i want to go to bat for them every single day. get incomes rising... get equal pay for women... cut the cost of health care and child care so people can actually get ahead. hillary clinton, she has what it takes to get things done.
12:24 am
>> stephen: here to perform the long way around from his album standing in the breach, ladies and gentlemen, jackson browne. >> i don't know what to say about these days i'm seeing people changing in the strangest ways even in the richer neighborhoods people don't know when they got it good they got the envy and they got it bad when i was a kid everything i did was trying to be free
12:25 am
with the fire inside of me my planets all in retrograde the best of all my plans got made i made my breaks and some mistakes just not the ones people think i made i'm a long way gone down this wild road i'm on it's gonna take me where i'm bound it's a long way around it's a little hard keeping track of what's gone wrong the covenant unravels and the news just rolls along i can feel my memory letting go some two or three disasters
12:26 am
ill, citizens united or the gulf oil spill i'm a long way gone down this wild road i'm on it's gonna take me where i'm bound it's a long way around it's never been that hard to buy a gun now they'll sell a glock 19 to just about anyone the seeds of tragedy are there and what we feel we have the right to bear and watch our children come to
12:27 am
there in the safety of our arms we all disagree about the passions burn, heart goes out i'm a long way gone down this wild road i'm on it's gonna take me where i'm bound
12:28 am
(cheers and applause) >> stephen: jackson browne, everybody.
tv-commercial
12:29 am
we if you're doing everything right but find it harder and harder to get by, you're not alone. while our people work longer hours for lower wages, almost all new income goes to the top 1%. my plan -- make wall street banks and the ultrarich pay their fair share of taxes, provide living wages for working people, ensure equal pay for women. i'm bernie sanders. i approve this message because together, we can make a political revolution and create an economy and democracy that works for all
12:30 am
>> stephen: that's if for the late show, everybody. thanks so much. i want to thank jackson browne for making it here through the snow tonight. our musical guest originally scheduled anderson pack could not make it through the blizzard but they will be here next wednesday.
12:31 am
12:32 am
12:33 am
12:34 am
12:35 am

36 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on