Skip to main content

tv   Andrea Mitchell Reports  MSNBC  July 1, 2022 9:00am-10:00am PDT

9:00 am
burden in terms of the women. >> these are people who work from sunrise to sunset. they are doing incredibly difficult work, which is essential for our economy in this country. they don't have the privilege of going from one store to another, driving. they are there working constantly on the fields so that we can have food on our table. is there something that we can do to help these people that are so essential to our economy? >> yes, yes. there's a lot of things that can be done. to start with, the biden administration needs to do more. they need to investigate the supply chains and the few companies controlling the supply. ensure the baby formula is given to the most vulnerable. why? because as you were saying, if
9:01 am
these people are working, farm workers are working from sunrise to sunset, by the time they get home and ask for transportation and pay to go and find -- they find nothing. it's so terrible. this has been a big, big issue. >> i thank you for being with us. thank you for doing what you do on a daily basis. it's been great to have you here with us this morning. that wraps up the hour for me. see you tomorrow night on nbc news saturday. thank you for the privilege of your time. andrea mitchell picks up with more news right now. good day, everyone. this is "andrea mitchell reports" in washington. president biden is trying to show he is taking action in response to the supreme court's abortion decision.
9:02 am
it's not clear what he can do without congress. just back from nato, the president will meet with nine democratic governors virtually to talk about steps they can take to protect abortion access. the white house is trying to increase the availability of abortion pills as recent course decisions in texas, utah, florida and other states are create confusion over access to abortion and reproductive services. in a few minutes, i will be joined by jay inslee, one of the governors meeting with the president today. we have the latest on the start of the trial o brittney griner. what hope is there for her? we begin with fight over abortion access with chief white house correspondent peter alexander and nbc justice correspondent pete williams. thanks to peter and pete.
9:03 am
peter alexander, first to you. the president making news with his pivot to supporting a filibuster change. what can he accomplish today? >> you are right. this is a frustration. it's a good message for democrats that the president says he does want that carveout, that limited exception, as it would relate to the filibuster specifically for abortion rights. he had only said something similar specifically on voting rights. democrats don't even have the votes right now to change the filibuster rules. the 50 democrats in the senate, only 48 support a possible change. sinema and manchin oppose it. they say when republicans take over, they can do whatever they like. the president will speak with those democratic lawmakers today. you noted nine of them who will
9:04 am
be in attendance virtually. california's governor was initially expected to attend but no longer can due to a scheduling change that's taken place. he will be using this meeting as a way to really sort of demonstrate what these states are already doing to help try to use their legislatures and their governors' offices to try to make sure reproductive rights are better protected around the country right now. the president saying that he would do whatever he can through his administration to help expand access to abortion pills, medication, health and human services already beginning to address that issue. president biden saying that he would do everything in his power to make sure it remains legal and without restriction for women across state lines to get access to abortions if it's illegal in their own state. beyond that, including the calls for them to do more on federal lands, the president doesn't appear to be doing that. >> pete, let's talk about the
9:05 am
states. the president will meet with the governors virtually. he is not meeting with those where trigger laws go into afekd -- affect and those from the 1800s. >> the federal constitution provides no protection for abortion rights. what we have in the states are lawsuits saying that may be true, but there are provisions in state constitutions that go further. for example, many state constitutions explicitly say, using the word that the state constitution guarantees a right to privacy. in some states like utah, there are provisions that seem to suggest constitutional protections for family planning and bodily autonomy. these abortion laws in the states now are being challenged under those constitutional provisions that are more robust than the federal constitution. so far, they prevailed in five of the states, at least temporarily.
9:06 am
>> what do women and their partners, people who are affected by this, what do they do? >> if they are in one of the states that -- that there's a temporary restraining order, i don't think they can count on that lasting a long time, because ultimately, the decisions will be resolved by state supreme courts, not the federal courts, but this is interpreting state constitutions. they can go to a state where abortion is legal. they can try to get medication abortion sent to them if it's permitted in their states. they can try to get abortions now while the provisions, the bans are on hold. it's very hard to plan for the future, because who knows how these court decisions are ultimately going to shake out? >> there's a lot of expense involved in travel. a lot of people can't travel. some people will have to travel 1,000 mile. women having to go to illinois. this is just confusing and potentially dangerous. >> yes.
9:07 am
i think this confusion, this legal uncertainty is certainly going to last for several months until these issues are resolved. as you say, it's a combination of laws that are the trigger laws and also bans that were in effect before the roe decision and that have gone back into affect. >> peter alexander, i want to also mention the whole confusion also over these investigations, the january 6 committee hearings, you have been covering that as well. "new york times" reporting that president trump's allies and his political organization are paying or promising to pay legal fees for witnesses called to the january 6 committee. there's nothing illegal about that. but this does involve some of the pressure that the chair and the vice chair were alluding to, where lawyers who are part of the inner circle, were influencing, shall we say, witnesses before the committee. >> not necessarily illegal. but it does raise both legal and
9:08 am
ethical questions. "the new york times" reporting that the president's political organizations and his allies have offered to pay or are paying right now the legal fees for at least a dozen witnesses who have come before the january 6 committee. among those who was initially recommended to reach out to one of the lawyers and then have the fees paid for them for one of the lawyers from the political organization associated with donald trump was cassidy hutchinson. the blockbuster witness earlier this week before the january 6 committee. she reached out to a friend of hers and said, there's more i want to tell, where she fired the lawyer she had been using, hired a separate lawyer who in the past had worked alongside the former attorney general jeff sessions, when she revealed more information and agreed to testify publically. >> peter alexander, pete williams, can't think of a better way to start off a friday. thank you both. let's turn back to the
9:09 am
abortion access issue. joining us is the executive director of the florida alliance of planned parenthood affiliates. there's a lot of confusion in states. florida is a case in point. explain what the situation is there. >> yeah. thanks, andrea. planned parenthood health centers in florida are seeing an influx. people are driving throughout the night without having an appointment. florida has been a safe haven for people seeking their reproductive health care. as we enter this weekend celebrating independence day, it's ironic we had our body autonomy rights taken away. governor desantis had signed into law one of the most extreme abortion bans in florida's history. we were pleased yesterday to see a judge did strike that down temporarily. we do have a lock on that for the moment.
9:10 am
>> there's a big issue as to how long that temporary block is going to last. is that correct? >> that's right. we expect this case to go to the full state supreme court in florida. for right now, this provides relief to patients beyond 15 weeks of pregnancy. these are really the most vulnerable floridians and pregnant pep, sur vibers of rape, incest. as well as couples who have a wanted pregnancy and don't find out something is wrong until they have the ultrasound or amnio post 15 weeks. it's not the business of our politicians to interfere in those personal, private situations. >> thank you very much. thanks for being with us. >> thank you. >> one of the ground zero states, florida. the climate crisis. the supreme court limiting the epa's ability to clean up the environment. we will talk with former epa
9:11 am
administrator gina mccarthy and jay inslee next on "andrea mitchell reports." this is msmbc. mitchell reports." this is msmbc.
9:12 am
9:13 am
9:14 am
ah teach a new kung fu for a smoochie smoochie? hmm? you want to learn kung fu?
9:15 am
in one of the most important environmental rulings in decades, with wide ranging implications, the supreme court decided the epa does not have broad authority to limit greenhouse gas emissions. excuse me. chief justin roberts arguing congress needs to give the agency explicit authority. in a dissent, justice kagan saying, this court doesn't have a clue how to address climate change. the stakes are high. joining me now is gina mccarthy, the former epa administrator who signed the clean power plan that was gutted in this decision. it's great to see you again. this ruling reverses so much that you worked hard to protect.
9:16 am
in this job, in your previous role. talk to me about what you are going to do next. >> first, thanks for having me. we have to stop meeting like this, after you tee it up like that. the challenge that we have is that yesterday's meeting was really disappointing. in many ways, it sent some devastating signals. it didn't change the science. what it did was tell us that the supreme court is more intested in specialests that being funded by the fossil fuel industry than they are in protecting public health. giving the agency the right and opportunity and obligation to actually keep our air clean, keep our water clean and address the existential challenge of our time. andrea, we immediate again, this time under bad circumstances. but i will tell you that the president remains committed to bold action. he is looking at epa continuing
9:17 am
its regulatory drive to actually reduce greenhouse gas emissions with the authorities we have left. we're going to work across the whole of government to keep pushing for the clean energy transition that we actually know is happening and need to happen faster. >> doesn't this limit you? you cannot meet the 50% goal by 2030 with this kind of restriction. you would have to go power plant by power plant, would you have to get approval. don't you need broader congressional authority? how do you get that in this 50/50 senate? >> first of all, i'm not sure we are ready to give up on that, the goals the president has set, because we are making more progress on them than we ever expected. look in 2021, more solar wind and battery technology out there than we have had before. one thing that we are seeing now more than ever is that the private sector is taking the signal. they are investing heavily in
9:18 am
getting this job done, knowing that that's the future. the supreme court may want to talk about the old days. we are going to keep moving. we think we can make this happen. you are right, congress needs to act. they don't need to act to give us different authorities. they need to act with definition about the authority that congress has to move forward and protect the american public and address this climate change threat the world is facing. we need to lead in that effort. we fully intend to do that. >> it's hard to understand how you could do that, the numbers don't add up. given the size of the challenge. >> what the supreme court did was to limit epa's authority to regulate greenhouse gases in the way they did in that section of the statute in terms of greenhouse gases. it did not take away the agency's authority to actually regulate all the other ways in which power plants spew
9:19 am
emissions that are also going to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases being emitted. it had no impact on our ability to work with other agencies like the department of the interior, to move forward quickly on offshore wind to make that happen. it did not take away the president's ability to use creative and novel ways like the defense production act, which he used in our solar sector to jump start that when it was delayed. we're going to keep moving those efforts forward. look, this isn't just about epa anymore. that's yesterday's ways of thinking about it. we can actually have good opportunities in every agency. we are taking advantage of that with new moving forward with hud and usda. everybody is engaged. we're going to make this happen. >> are you concerned the same attorneys general who took this case are now going to move, for instance, to limit your ability to control methane for the auto industry?
9:20 am
>> we have methane rules in place. we are going further. we have new clear auto standards. the difference today is that those auto manufacturers that were fighting us are now supporting us for those standards. because they know the future is electric. they see the bipartisan infrastructure law as a way of building up those charging stations. they are driving 700 million more into the effort to continue to build the infrastructure we need for clean energy. i'm not worried about their ability to regulate more under this particular statute in terms of greenhouse gas emissions. you have to worry about the next shoe that drops. we can't be beholden and limit our authority to regulating and rule making effectively because of this statutory constraint that they are seeking to impose. we have to fight it every moment. we have to find creative ways around it. we will. >> you sound energized. it's got to be discouraging.
9:21 am
there was talk of you leaving soon. have you finalized your plans how long you can stay and fight this battle? >> no. i've been doing this so many decades. i'm not discouraged where we are in the world today. i'm going to keep at it until the president thinks my time is up or until i get everything i need done. i got quite a few more months if not years in me. >> in this job as the top climate advisor? >> yes. i'm going to see where the future heads and do the best i can while i'm here. hopefully, we will begin to let people know that this decision was bad. we're going to keep moving forward. we're going to achieve those goals the president identified. we have to. there's no other choice. >> thanks for your fighting spirit. thanks, gina mccarthy. great to see you again. joining me now, a longtime climate advocate, jay inslee, a former president of congress, a
9:22 am
presidential candidate. how realistic is it to meet the climate commitments the epa has its hands tied in so many ways? >> extremely difficult. gina said she's disappointed. i'm glad they will work hard to use whatever tool remains. look, they gutted the ability of the epa to move forward. there's no question about it. they kneecapped ability to help us. climate change is raging. the day this came out was the one-year anniversary of a heat dome that killed 100 people in my state. how does the supreme court respond? that's what they did. i'm glad we have some remaining tools. basically, the supreme court has said, congress told you to build a house, but we the supreme court said you can't use a hammer or a saw. that's essentially what they
9:23 am
have done. the good news is that we have 24 states that are going to move forward on climate change. my state now has the best 100% clean electric grid bill and cap and invest bill and low carbon standard. we are prohibiting dirty glass gas hookups. this will not impede our ability to move forward. that's an important point. the take home message is that all of us need to pedal faster in our states and our local communities. we can do that. we can essentially do the same things the federal government now is prohibited from doing. that's the good news. we have a president that will keep working. there are remaining tools. we have states and governors -- 24 that will keep pushing this. >> governor, i know you will be on this virtual meeting with the president coming up. that's focusing on abortion.
9:24 am
another supreme court decision. overturning a woman's right to choose. you are meeting with him less than an hour from now. a growing criticism that the white house and democratic leaders are not doing enough nationally to fight back. didn't prepare well enough for this. it was certainly signalled. what can you do? >> i can speak for my state in the west coast. my state is going to be a sanctuary state for american citizens who need these constitutionally preserved -- should be preserved protection. i have issued an executive order prohibiting my state patrol from cooperating in criminal investigations from other states. we have released over a million dollars to our providers so we have enough services to make the anticipated influx available. we are pursuing a constitutional amendment in our state to replace this missing right federally.
9:25 am
the governor of california and oregon are moving forward. i appreciate the president's embrace we need to eliminate this filibuster that has allowed this rogue supreme court -- by the way, there's a pattern here that's worth noting. this is a supreme court which is trying to get rid of majority democracy in our country. vast majorities of people want common sense gun safety. vast majority of americans want freedom of choice. vast majorities of americans want to address climate change. they are getting in league with this radical minority that because of the court packing that mitch mcconnell did and stole the supreme court seat from america, they are really damaging democracy itself, not just these three issues. i think the administration is going to be a good partner. i'm looking forward to this discussion. i'm looking forward to the president's leadership.
9:26 am
>> thank you very much, governor inslee. good to see you. >> thank you. coming up next, illegally detained. wnba star brittney griner on trial in a russian court. four months after her controversial arrest. reaction from her family and her olympic coach coming next. you are watching "andrea mitchell reports." this is msnbc. "andrea mitchell reports." this is msnbc. histling] when you have technology that's easier to control... that can scale across all your clouds... we got that right? yeah, we got that. it's easier to be an innovator. so you can do more incredible things. [whistling] i'm still drawn to what's next. even with higher stroke risk due to afib not caused by a heart valve problem. so if there's a better treatment than warfarin that's a trail i want to take.
9:27 am
eliquis. eliquis reduces stroke risk better than warfarin. and has less major bleeding than warfarin. eliquis has both. don't stop taking eliquis without talking to your doctor as this may increase your risk of stroke. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. while taking, you may bruise more easily or take longer for bleeding to stop. get help right away for unexpected bleeding, or unusual bruising. it may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. the number one cardiologist-prescribed blood thinner. ask your doctor about eliquis.
9:28 am
9:29 am
every search you make, every click you take, every move you make, every step you take, i'll be watching you. the internet doesn't have to be duckduckgo is a free all in one privacy app with a built in search engine, web browser, one click data clearing and more stop companies like google from watching you, by downloading the app today. duckduckgo: privacy, simplified.
9:30 am
two-time gold medallist and wnba superstar brittney griner appeared in a moscow courtroom today for the first day after trial that russia experts say is almost srn to result in a guilty vertd. she's been in detention for more than four months after being accused of carrying vape cart ridges allegingly containing cannabis oil in her suitcase. >> she's doing as well as can be expected in these difficult circumstances. she asked me to convey that she's in good spirits and is keeping up the faith. the russian federation has wrongfully detained miss griner. wrongful detention is
9:31 am
unacceptable wherever it occurs. >> griner's wife told cnn that griner is struggling and terrified. >> i like to be very frank with my wife. i told her, i said, i saw a picture. honestly, i thought you was insane. i said, it took me aback. i was like, i just want to tell you one thing. if you are losing your mind, be gracious with yourself. you are human. that's okay. >> joining me now is meagan fitzgerald who has been watching this from london. griner's wife said the state department is not doing enough to get her out. they want a meeting with the president, which is, of course, how the trevor reed's family managed to finally get him swapped in april and back home. is there any sign that there's diplomacy going on with russia? we know what's going on with
9:32 am
putin and the u.s. right now. could not be worse. >> reporter: you are right. sheryl griner has been critical and very candid about how she's frustrated with the u.s. government, how she doesn't feel they are doing enough to secure britney's release. she points to last weekend. there was a scheduled call where she was supposed to call her on saturday, which was their fourth wedding anniversary. that never happened. she said that britney tried calling several times but didn't go through because of a staffing issue at the embassy. she points to that as why her trust in the u.s. government is eroding and why she questions whether or not they are working hard enough. as you mentioned, she's calling for a meeting with the president. she understands that with trevor reed, his release was possible by a prison swap. she doesn't know the intricacies of it all. she says, if a prison swap is
9:33 am
something needed here to secure her release, she's calling on the u.s. government to do that. >> meagan fitzgerald, thank you so much. joining us now is -- excuse me -- dawn staley. thank you for being here. brittney griner's former olympic coach. she's the head woman's coach for the south carolina gamecocks. from what you can tell, certainly it se seems this is v difficult. she's 6'9" and they have her traveling back and forth in a cage. >> obviously, we feel for brittney. all the people that know her and her family members, we are praying every day that she gets released. the more you see, we see
9:34 am
brittney appear in court or outside of court or walking in and being handcuffed, you just feel for her. she's a free spirited woman who has a great heart. for what she's going through, i do think she's doing as well as anyone. i also know that as an athlete, an elite athlete, you tap into that mental strength that you use to get by, to work hard, to exhaust yourself, to mentally prepare for wnba season, mentally prepare yourself to go overseas and play in a foreign country for eight out of 12 months of the year, to feed your family. we know she's tapping into some of that. we're in a place where it's foreign to us, it's foreign how
9:35 am
they govern, it's foreign as to what her day to day is. it's foreign to the communication barriers that you have. but we are expressing a meeting with president biden to meet with the family. we know when you meet with the president of the united states, you know things are being done. right now, the family doesn't get a lot of information. what we get is what we see, what we read about. we know that it's going to get harder. things we are going to read about are going to get harder over the next few weeks or months. we pray president biden finds it in his heart to meet with her wife to get her home. >> talk to me about one of the things she expressed is she can't keep in physical shape. for an athlete, it's awful.
9:36 am
it's four months. she doesn't know the language. you alluded to that. her wife, whom you know so well, spoke to this also. let's play that from the cnn interview. >> i've been going crazy, she said. i was shocked because when i turned that corner, it was over 100 news outlets with cameras waiting right there. she told me that she was very exhausted because this is not a normal process. she's having to travel over five hours round trip when she goes to court in a very, very, very tiny cage with her knees bent, because it's not big enough to fit in. >> it's really, really tough. this was at a -- why she looked distraught at a previous hearing. she looked stronger today, it seemed to me. but i don't know her. did you see the pictures? how did she look today? >> she did look stronger.
9:37 am
i think brittney is ready to start. the moment the process starts for her, the moment she gets a little closer to coming home. we know that no one wins in a russian court. we will see what the penalty is. we will work from there. once we know what the penalty is, i think that's when the negotiation starts, from what i'm reading, is when negotiations start when she's convicted and sentenced. we are hoping that we can get ahead of that by getting with the president. trevor, bless his heart, was able to -- his family was able to meet the president. shortly thereafter, he was home with his family. he told us to scream at the top of our lungs. >> one of the things that her wife spoke about was wanting a prisoner exchange. that's what happened with trevor reed.
9:38 am
there has been the idea that the russians, what they want is a very high valued prisoner in the united states, a convicted criminal, not at all analogous to an innocent person illegally defined of brittney. he was a weapons trader with terrorists. he's a criminal. do you think the president should turn him back to the russians to get her home? >> we got several americans that are locked up. i think trade them for the three of them. we got a former diplomat. we got brittney. we got several. we have to do what we need to do. we are the richest country in the world. we can handle a prisoner swap. we can handle that. as the united states of america. what we can't handle is having
9:39 am
our loved ones over in the russian prison not knowing what's going to happen to them next. >> you alluded to this. speak to the fact that these athletes, brittney, a lot of these people from the teams have to go to russia to make money in the off season because they're not paid enough. that women athletes are still not paid on the equivalent of the men. >> yeah. the pay disparity is -- it's a real thing. brittney could not do the type of things -- live the way she lives without supplementing her wnba salary. i do feel like the wnba does a great job giving women an opportunity to play professional basketball. is that enough when you go overseas, you can make three times, four times as much as in the wnba. that's what she was doing,
9:40 am
trying to feed her family and bank enough money so her retirement is something that is equivalent to maybe her male counterpart or a percentage of it. it's not equivalent. a percentage of what our male counterparts retire and be able to live a life that they live when they were an athlete. >> dawn staley, thanks for being with us today. >> thank you. >> we are just hoping something gets resolved. coming up next, how do you get to sesame street? don't ask ted cruz. his feud with elmo, next. yes, now he is taking on elmo. this is msnbc. this is msnbc.
9:41 am
9:42 am
9:43 am
9:44 am
republican senator ted cruz is picking a fight with another sesame street muppet. this time it's elmo. it's over a video encouraging covid vaccinations for children
9:45 am
under the age of 5. >> daddy has super bandages like elmo. >> you were so super today. getting your covid vaccine, elmo. >> yeah. there was a little punch, but it was okay. >> that was a public service announcement. senator cruz is picking a fight with the covid shot for elmo who has been 3 1/2 years old since 1984. the senator claiming the public service announcement is aggressive and provides zero evidence of the efficacy of the shot. his last feud was with big bird over covid vaccines spoofed by snl. joining me, dr. patel. i see you have elmo there with you in case elmo wants to respond as well. all jokes aside, covid cases in children account for nearly 19% of u.s. cases. why don't we tell senator cruz
9:46 am
what are the facts are about the efficacy of the shots. >> absolutely. i have elmo here to keep me honest. elmo likes t use the facts. here are the facts. we have had over 400 deaths in the under 4 age group -- under 5 age group eligible for vaccine. it's one of the top ten leading causes of death from covid. during the first omicron wave around thanksgiving, christmas, the rate of hospitalizations in 5 and under was higher than any other children's age group. just to be clear, the facts do support not only a vaccine, but having your children protected no matter whether they were previously infected or not infected. that also is reinforced with data. children who had an infection benefit from the vaccine because they were susceptible to getting reinfected and didn't have enough antibodies after natural infection alone. the facts remain the same, nothing has changed. the vaccines are safe and they
9:47 am
are effective. >> as long as you are fact checking now, do you mind fact checking the supreme court justice clarence thomas who also wrote that the covid vaccine is made from aborted fetuses? >> i think there's been a lot of people that have taken to social media to try to break apart what he is saying. let me be very clear. there were no aborted fetus cells used in any of our vaccines currently. i think what has been twisted and taken out of characterization from the truth has been that there was research decades ago that helped to inform vaccine development of all kinds, especially the mrna vaccines, but research done a long time ago that did have embryonic origins. however, our current vaccines do not have any fetal cells, do not have any derivatives from fetal cells. just invoking that,
9:48 am
unfortunately, it created so much myth and chaos that it will undermine not just covid vaccine, but other vaccines which i didn't have to convince people to take because people had been doing it for decades. we are seeing an unfortunate spillover. >> he wasn't saying it. he was writing and quoting it in an opinion. >> correct. >> he is picking up an internet meme. >> that's correct. his words carry such weight. i think that's the point. when you have a platform like yours or mine, our words carry weight. no more than the highest court in the country, and that's something we need to make sure we keep the facts straight. elmo agrees. you agree. i agree. all my colleagues do across the country. >> as the mother of a 3 and 5-year-old, you noel moe. >> that's right. be kind.
9:49 am
>> thank you. thanks to elmo. the key midterm race in one state where nearly all abortions are illegal. what it could signal for 2024 coming up. this is "andrea mitchell reports" on msnbc.
9:50 am
9:51 am
9:52 am
for this "drilling overturning roe has made -- one out is wisconsin lieutenant governor and democratic senate
9:53 am
candidate. thank you for joining us, lieutenant governor. talk to me about the abortion issue and where it stands in wisconsin. you have a major challenge right now. >> there is a challenge but there is a challenge to the challenge, our outdated law, our governor filed a suit to overturn it and i am proud of the leadership. however, it is the failure of congress having not codified roe that got us to this place as constitutional rights were taken away from half of the population last week and we should be ashamed that we have gotten to this place and that is what makes this election cycle so important in wisconsin so important, if we get rid of ron johnson, who with has celebrated overturning roe v. wade , we will have one additional seat to get rid of the filibuster and make roe v.
9:54 am
wade and the right to choose the law of the land . >> you have a tight race right now, one third of the voters still undecided. how do you make an appeal? what sets you apart? >> this is the only campaign that has generated real enthusiasm, grassroots support as we had our biggest fundraising month in june and we have grassroots donors who made that happen with the average contribution of around $40. the first three fundraising quarters we were in the race we outraised the rest of the democratic party field combined, that is because of the grassroots support we have and the support of leaders from every corner of wisconsin. we have a consistent lead in polling despite being out sent -- outspent. that is how we will defeat ron johnson. >> what do you do about the
9:55 am
headwinds all democrats are facing with the economy, inflation, and by pulling by the president? >> my campaign is the only one with support among independent voters and defeating ron johnson with independent voters. the only independent candidate to do so, and my campaign this campaign is sown -- we are defeating him in a head-to-head match in november and we have to do everything we can to bring people together. i hope your viewers will join me at >> will be abortion issue unify the party? >> people are now political now the politics has taken such an outside role in their personal lives. they are the lines that were crossed last week and so many people who i have never seen
9:56 am
active before in a political sense, showed up to rallies and asked what they could do next, what can they do tomorrow? i tell them to make sure you vote because i will write are on the line. as quickly as the right to choose was taken away, we can get this back, it is possible, we have to fight. people are energized, motivated like never before in a way i have not seen in a long time. >> mandela barnes , a pleasure having you, the lieutenant governor of wisconsin. that does it for a busy day this friday on andrea mitchell reports . a holiday weekend coming up. be safe and enjoy the fourth of july celebration. member to follow us online on facebook and twitter. joe start right after these messages. these
9:57 am
messages
9:58 am
there's a reason comcast business powers more businesses than any other provider. actually, there's a few... comcast business offers the fastest, reliable network... the protection of securityedge™
9:59 am
and the most reliable 5g network. want me to keep going? i can... whether your small business is starting or growing, you need comcast business. technology solutions that put you ahead. get a great offer on internet and security, now with more speed and more bandwidth. plus find out how to get up to a $650 prepaid card with a qualifying bundle. every search you make, every click you take, every move you make, every step you take, i'll be watching you. the internet doesn't have to be duckduckgo is a free all in one privacy app with a built in search engine, web browser, one click data clearing and more stop companies like google from watching you, by downloading the app today. duckduckgo: privacy, simplified.
10:00 am
good day. i am live at msnbc headquarters in new york city . we start with the january 6th investigation and growing questions about the influence that donald trump world is trying to exert behind the scenes as reported efforts to block the committee from getting to the truth. that includes new evidence that cassidy hutchinson was reportedly the target of messages seemingly designed to influence her testimony. according to cnn, based on three sources, nbc news has not confirmed the reporting and not clear to actually sent me messages. at least one member of the committee has said that is evidence of witness tampering and the justice department should act on it. liz cheney told abc that the committee is considering a criminal referral to the doj to do just that. none of this may

46 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on