unKamenCast-RX! 165 Twoforthe Priceof One
- Publication date
Join us as we play a level of Kamen Rider EX-Aid! Can Emu, Asuna, and their allies cure the Bugster virus before it can wipe out humanity? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Kamen Rider EX-Aid
13 - A Predetermined Destiny
14 - We’re Kamen Rider
Episode Writer: Takahashi Yuya
Episode Director: Nakazawa Shoujiro
- SONO: My heart feels for Asuna. She’s trying so hard and she just gets ignored. I thought the pink nurse dress was cute. The poor girl just wants some praise. She’s trying really hard, and everyone just kind of ignoring her or shutting down her enthusiasm is starting to wear on me. Someone please show this girl some attention and love.
- ALEPH: Yeah. It’s one of those things where--and I know I keep harping on it--but once you know Ohmori’s on-staff, it’s hard not to really drop a lot of stuff like this at his feet. Poppy/Asuna is a really fun character and while I get the show’s sense of humor, dang it’s hard to see her getting treated so badly so often.
- Taking Kiriya out of the opening was a knife to my heart, Ex-Aid. A knife to my heart.
- Okay this is 800% not how medical blood samples work. Okay sure he’s using the magic kamen rider stethoscope to analyze it, and maybe I could let it go on that, but I’m pretty sure you cannot accurately diagnose someone on a sample that small wiped onto a non-sterile tissue.
- ALEPH: I want to No-Prize this so hard, but also I hate baseless speculation when it’s just one of those leaps of logic I need to go with, but yeah. Yeah, that’s irksome to me. I’ve had bloodwork done. That is not the sample size ANYONE took. Oh, if only.
- There’s no sign that Niko is a heroic, antiheroic, or otherwise independent Bugster. Boo on that fact. There’s time yet, but… it’s not looking likely.
- SONO: The degree to with Dan is just skyrocketing himself toward Dr. Doom levels of villainy is maybe one of my favorite things about this show. I still want to punch the guy for taking away my other favorite thing about this show, but man he’s a fun bad guy.
- ALEPH: I really hate to be nothing but “I KNOW RIGHT” but… I KNOW, RIGHT? He’s just so massively full of himself and clearly has reason to be and it’s great.
- ALEPH: And on top of that, not trying to play it one way or another. Like, we don’t really know how the rest of society reacts to the knowledge that there are neon-colored superheroes fighting a video game disease that feeds on your anxieties, but they leave most of it to the side because, look: it’s not actually that important one way or another. PR for the ministry of health is not Emu’s job. His world is small and specialized. He’s a… Kamen Rider.
- ALEPH: For all I remain frustrated that, apparently, Kiriya had to bite it to spark all these bits where suddenly the two biggest louts in the series were suddenly kinda alright while also not contradicting anything from before. It’s a really well-done bit of writing/directing.
- SONO: I love this dumb Mario and Luigi form and honestly I’m not even sorry about it. It’s a really cool idea, and is really driving home the split between M and Emu, which is just becoming wider by the episode. Even if Ex-Aid has some dumb suits, at least it’s form gimmicks seem to be heading in really neat directions.
- ALEPH: I think that’s the thing I’m ultimately going to love most about the show, being honest. Because they took this thing where there’s two sides to him, then just totally literalized by the powerup and I haven’t had much of a rant yet in THIS series about loving how well they tell a story just with the powerups, but this is one of the best ones. One dude who wears powerups gets a powerup and turns into his bifurcated self--the brash, hot-headed Momotar--I mean gamer, the other a chill and calculating doctor--and they’re so night-and-day, they even use different reflexive pronouns, which is just GREAT.
- ALEPH: Also, taking money that the blue one is revealed to be the Bugster. Actually I’m not, I don’t have money. But I will gladly take yours, dear listener, whether or not I’m right.
- SONO: Yeah that was something a friend brought up to me; that “M” the clever fiery gamer is the human and the more cautious, thoughtful “Emu” is the Bugster. I’m willing to leave it open right now because I want to see where this is going and not dig my heels into any one thing in particular but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was right.
- ALEPH: I think that’s actually for the best. I know it’s a thing where nerds (like me) get all het up about an idea and wanna show their work, but I’d be happy either way.
- ALEPH: Seriously, it is SO good. I’m gonna keep harping on this, but the amount to which this series wants to talk about medical ethics--and, honestly, ethics of agency generally--puts such a smile on my face. Even Ghost, with all its laudable things, didn’t quite touch on this aspect of life in a way quite this powerful. ‘Cuz it’s one thing to save someone from a thing like a supervillain or a mugger - that’s uncomplicated. But CANCER? Man, cancer’s… Whoof. Good on ‘em for bringing this up and not doing the classic “he’s too stupid to know what he wants” or whatever thing and instead just talk to him like an adult and give Hiiro a chance to act like an adult about it all. It’s great.
Points of Concern
None this week.
Dan Kurato is so damn petty. All the lengths he has gone through to be The Game Master...
Patient of the week for Ex-Aid 13 and 14: Shirakawa Kazuki
Poor Asuna, she gets no respect!
Mighty Brothers Double X - Is this a reference to the Super Mario Brothers or Double Dragon?
Niko may turn out to be a GREAT addition to the show as long as they
don't go skeevy with her. She really seems to make Taiga work as a
spirit of Kiriya Kujo lives on in this show in so many interesting
ways. Somehow Taiga is getting more interesting by taking on the
investigatory roll that Kiriya had taken from the onset of the series.
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid 15: A New Challenger Approaches!
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Ghost and Kamen Rider in general from the ether-world of the net, direct your vibes and psychic energies to our inbox, Submit a portions of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually
Our awesome intro/outro music is by our very own Sono! Her rocking just won't stop.
Support Sono through Patreon. Really. Do it.
- 2017-02-10 18:43:09
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3