Description: Livery stable in Mission San Jose. Group of 12 people including two horse drawn carriages.
This property (43327 Mission Blvd.) was built in 1895 by Daniel Baker for a livery business. The enterprise continued under the ownership of Edward Coffany, William Rose, and then Andrew Kell, at least until 1916. By 1924, it was altered to incorporate a second story and to accommodate storefront businesses, which at various times included Lane's Dressing Room and Fry’s Shoe Shop, owned by Ernest Fry.
In 1958, Olive Hyde purchased this property, remodeling it to become an antique store with her residence in the back. In 1964, she donated the building to the City of Fremont, and in 1975, it began operating as an educational center for children.
Born in 1886 in San Francisco, Olive Hyde came to Mission San Jose in 1937, where, for more than 30 years, she owned and maintained residences, taught music, and supported the arts and history in the community. In 1966, she founded the Mission San Jose Women's Association, a group dedicated to preserving and enhancing the unique community and character of Mission San Jose.
As an active temperance worker, Ms. Hyde took it upon herself to clean up Mission San Jose. She purchased the infamous Boulder Saloon at the corner of Mission and Washington Blvds., removed the business, and opened two new civic buildings, which later became the Olive Hyde Art Gallery and Program Center.
Before moving back to San Francisco in 1968, Ms. Hyde donated to the City of Fremont much of her property, including this building, the two buildings at the corner of Mission and Washington Blvds., a large lot designated for parking and open space, and $10,000 for upkeep. She worked tirelessly to improve and protect Mission San Jose, even though it was not her hometown. She died at age 101 in San Francisco.
Call Number: 1918.104.22.168.018
Washington Township Museum of Local History, 190 Anza Street, Fremont, CA 94539, Telephone: (510)-623-7907, Email: email@example.com, Institution URL: http://museumoflocalhistory.org/
Copyright status unknown. This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, its reproduction may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. This work is accessible for purposes of education and research. Transmission or reproduction of works protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. Washington Township Museum of Local History attempted to find rights owners without success but is eager to hear from them so that we may obtain permission, if needed. Upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org, digitized works can be removed from public view if there are rights issues that need to be resolved.