Note: Part 1 begins and ends abruptly. Audio levels fluctuate at the beginning. There is some distortion and hiss. There is feedback at the very end. Part 2 begins abruptly. There is a gap from 00:10:28-00:10:40. Part 3 begins abruptly. There is some distortion throughout and a gap from 00:05:42-00:05:50. Part 4 begin and ends abruptly. There is distortion throughout. Part 5 contains a high amount of hiss throughout. Part 6 ends abruptly.
Series Title: [United States, jazz, 1934-1978] / Don Ellis
Description: The Don Ellis Orchestra "live" at the Westside Room, Century Plaza Hotel, Century City, California, April 21, 1978. This is Ellis' last known public performance; he died December 17, 1978.
1) “Theme from ‘The French Connection’ “, (intro version, incomplete, beginning missing), 00:10-00:52;
2) “Desire!”, 00:58-12:57, feat. Don Ellis (trumpet.), Dave Crigger (drums);
4) “Vulcan” aka “Everything’s Going to Be All Right” (incomplete), 25:32-30:53, feat. Don Ellis (Superbone), Steve Bartek (guitar)
1) “Vulcan” (concluded), 00:10-8:20, feat. Don Ellis (Superbone), Steve Bartek (guitar);
2) “T. R.”, 10:53-26:50, feat. Stu Goldberg (keyboards), Mike Carnahan (alto sax)
1) “Open Wide” (incomplete, starts during trumpet solo), 00:09-07:41, feat. Don Ellis (trumpet), Dave Crigger (drums);
2) “If Yer Gonna Boogie, BOOGIE!”, 09:20-21:30, feat. Steve Bartek (guitar), Stu Goldberg (piano), Mike Carnahan (alto sax), Ann Patterson (soprano sax), Dave Crigger (drums), unidentified percussionists and sax players;
1) “Dark, Curved Eyebrows” (concluding seconds from Tape 3, some overlap), 00:09-00:29, feat. Karen Henderson (cello), Sidney Muldrow (French horn), Ann Patterson (English horn);
2) “Blues in Elf” (break in the middle at 05:42-05:50), 02:45-11:03, feat. Stu Goldberg (piano), Don Ellis (Superbone);
3) “Eros” aka “Let’s Do It This Way For a While”, 12:45-21:50, feat. Ann Patterson (soprano sax), Dave McDaniel (bass);
4) “T. R.” (missing ~5 minutes), 23:21-31:45, feat. Stu Goldberg (keyboards), Mike Carnahan (alto sax)
1) “T. R.” (complete version, same as that on Tape 4), 00:51-14:22, feat. Stu Goldberg (keyboards), Mike Carnahan (alto sax);
2) “Storyville”, 17:05-26:24
Tape 6: “Hold On!” (beginning only), 00:15-01:00
Additional Description: Note on original container for tape 3: B-Side! Better.
Collection Guide: Don Ellis CollectionCall Number: Collection 2000.02 AMC 074-Collection 2000.02 AMC 075, Collection 2000.02 AMC 077
Rights: Copyrighted. Rights are owned by Ellis Music Enterprises. Copyright Holder has given Institution permission to provide access to the digitized work online. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the Copyright Holder. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Digitized by the California Audiovisual Preservation Project (CAVPP).
UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive, 1630 Schoenberg Music Building, Los Angeles, California 90095-1657, Telephone: (310) 825-1695, Email: Archive@arts.ucla.edu, http://www.ethnomusic.ucla.edu/archive