Skip to main content

California State Railroad Museum Library

On May 2, 1981, the California State Railroad Museum opened to the public, as did the Museum Library. The library has been an integral component of CSRM since the project's inception. It was clear to the founders of the Museum that a thoughtfully assembled collection of published, manuscript, and pictorial materials would not only enhance the museum's services but also support its conservation and education programs. With this goal in mind, as railroad equipment and artifacts were gathered for s...



rss RSS

828
RESULTS


Show sorted alphabetically

Show sorted alphabetically

SHOW DETAILS
up-solid down-solid
eye
Title
Date Published
Creator
Note : Due to original recording: vertical scratches visible. Debris in camera gate visible. Contains moving images of a Northern Pacific Excursion train (August 20, 1950), and a family trip to Oakland's Peralta Park (August 27, 1950). The first portion features a Northwestern Pacific rail-fan excursion from San Rafael to Willits, continuing on the California Western to Fort Bragg. Shots include Northwestern Pacific steam engines, California Western Baldwin diesels and doodlebugs M100 AND M200....
favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
Topics: californiarevealed, Excursions, Trains
Source: 8mm film: 1 Reel of 1
This map shows the route of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads from the Midwest to the Pacific Coast.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1870-1879
Built by the Danforth Locomotive and Machine Company, this 4-6-0 steam locomotive was outshopped April 1868 and placed into service November 5, 1868. It was renumbered to 1543 in 1891, and scrapped May 1903.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1860-1869
Central Pacific steam locomotive No. 237 on turntable at the Sacramento Shops. No. 237, El Gobernador, was built in Sacramento, completed in February 1883 and placed into service March of 1884. The locomotive was dismantled July 15, 1894. View is looking east. The northwest corner of the Car Shop is visible at rear right. The north wall of the Machine Shop is to right. The Roundhouse is at left.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1880-1889
Side elevation of Southern Pacific steam locomotive No. 1 "C. P. Huntington." The drawing was first prepared November 11, 1936 by David L. Joslyn. This example is the second revision dated April 30, 1951. The "C. P. Huntington" is on display at the California State Railroad Museum.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
Central Pacific Railroad No. 4 "T. D. Judah" was built by Danforth, Cooke & Company and placed into service April 9, 1864. This locomotive may have been sold in 1889 to a company in British Columbia, and scrapped in 1912.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1880-1889
Celebration for arrival of a new 3-cylinder compound 4-10-2 class of locomotive, 5000 series.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Central Pacific Railroad steam locomotive 4-6-0 No. 1555 was outshopped in May of 1875 by the Schnectady Locomotive Works (construction number 982) and numbered CP No. 190. In 1891 it was renumbered 1555. In 1899 the locomotive was rebuilt and renumbered 1068. The locomotive was sold to Union Rock Company October 20, 1927. Here the crew poses with the locomotive, tender and a wood caboose. The caboose is one of a large group built by the Central Pacific Shops in the late 1870s using...
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1890-1899
This diminutive steam locomotive was built for the Central Pacific Railroad by Danforth, Cooke and Company of Paterson, New Jersey in 1863. Shipped from New York around Cape Horn, it arrived in San Francisco March 19, 1864. The C.P. Huntington (No. 3 of the Central Pacific Railroad) was used in the construction of the transcontinental railroad.  In 1871 it was transferred to the newly organized Southern Pacific Railroad and renumbered No. 1. From 1894 on the C. P. Huntington became a symbol of...
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1860-1869
Description : Documentary footage of the recovery of Southern Pacific SD-9 diesel locomotive No. 4310, one of four locomotives marooned at Eureka following the Island Mountain Tunnel fire. The footage documents the 1979 movement of the detrucked diesel by Bigge Drayage from Alderpoint to Dos Rios, where it was put back onto NWP/SP rails. This is a bit of odd California railroad history, more recent history at that. The Island Mountain tunnel was the longest tunnel on the Northwestern Pacific...
Topic: californiarevealed
Southern Pacific Railroad steam locomotive No. 2371 was built at the Sacramento Shops (the first 4-6-0 of the new century), outshopped in November of 1917 and placed into service November 24, 1917. This locomotive was scrapped in 1954.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Interior view of Machine Shop looking north. Boiler and truss work are on a dirt floor. In the Machine Shop metal objects were cut down to finished dimensions. The Shop contained many tools, including lathes, planers, mills, shapers, slotters, drill presses and grinders of various sizes and configurations. Some of the machine tools were immense because of the need to work on giant-sized components. Larger machines were powered through a line shaft system. A bank of six boilers and a Corliss...
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
View is looking northeast towards west end and south side of Central Pacific Railroad passenger station. The station was completed in 1879. Southern Pacific steam locomotive No. 1461 leads a passenger train out of the station.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Facade of the Huntington, Hopkins & Company hardware store at 54 K Street. In 1855 Collis P. Huntington and Mark Hopkins had joined to form the Huntington & Hopkins Company, importers and dealers in hardware. It was in 1861 when four young ambitious men, later known as the Big Four, gathered on the second floor of this building to conceive a plan for the greatest railroading feat of the 19th century, construction of a link between the East Coast and the West, the Central Pacific...
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Buildings, 1870-1879
Exterior view of Western Refrigerator Line refrigerator car 7001. This print is most likely a builder's photograph of car as it came out of the shops in January of 1923. The Western Pacific Railroad set up the Western Refrigerator Line effective January 1, 1923 to operate a new fleet of refrigerator cars; however, the WP reached an agreement with the Pacific Fruit Express, and the cars never operated in revenue service under the WRL name. The cars were changed to PFE lettering upon arrival in...
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Thomas Hill's large oil painting (157-1/4 x 85-1/4 in.) of "The Driving of the Last Spike" is on display at the California State Railroad Museum. It is an imagined recreation of the ceremony held May 10, 1869 at Promontory Point, Utah, to celebrate the completion of the transcontinental railroad, when the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railroad tracks were joined. Hill began the painting in 1877 at the request of Leland Stanford, who later refused to pay for the commission.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1880-1889
Celebration for arrival of the first 3-cylinder compound 4-10-2 class of locomotive, 5000 series. It was the first 4-10-2 locomotive built for the SP. View is looking east. Both ends of the Roundhouse are visible.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Inscription on back of the print reads "Front view looking south, Boiler & Machine Shops." Also known as Jeffery Shops after Edward Turner Jeffery, president of the Western Pacific from 1913 to 1917.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Southern Pacific steam locomotives Nos. 1, C. P. Huntington, and No. 2839 posed in front of the north side of the Office Building. Bay 25, at the southwest corner of the Machine Shops, is to left. The Machine Shop bays were numbered north to south. The C. P. Huntington is now on display at the California State Railroad Museum. Class C steam locomotive No. 2839 was built at the Sacramento Shops and placed into service on August 31, 1917. It was scrapped in Sacramento on December 19, 1952.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Southern Pacific steam locomotives No. 1, C. P. Huntington, and No. 2839 posed beside Bay 25 at the southwest corner of the Machine Shop. SP No. 2839 was built at the Sacramento Shops and placed into service August 31, 1917. No. 2839 was the first new locomotive constructed in the SP Shops in the twentieth century.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Southern Pacific Railroad business car No. 124 "Stockton" at Sacramento Shops. Wood coach No. 1329 was completed by the Pullman Company in October of 1895. In 1911 it was rebuilt as a business car at the Sacramento Shops, numbered Southern Pacific No. 124 and named "Stockton." This image probably dates between 1911 and 1925 when the car was renamed "Sacramento."
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
The Oakland, Antioch & Eastern Railway, a standard gauge electric line, was incorporated March 28, 1911. It opened for traffic to Sacramento on September 3, 1913. The OA&E was sold to the San Francisco-Sacramento Railroad Company on January 26, 1920.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Poster advertising Southern Pacific Railroad's Netherlands Route. The artist is Randal William Borough. 3000 copies of this poster (SP No. A 58) were issued September 12, 1911.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
CP No. 77, Confucius, was out-shopped April 1868, rebuilt in the late 1880s with an Andrew J. Stevens-designed boiler, renumbered to 1202 in 1891, and scrapped January 13, 1897 in Sacramento. Inscription on back of print reads: Running from Wadsworth to Winnemucca, Truckee Division, 1888.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1880-1889
Freight train photographed at McConnells near Elk Grove. The consist includes four box cars and a long caboose. The second No. 135 was completed in 1873, part of the first group of locomotives built at the Sacramento Shops. It was scrapped in 1891. The photograph may date from the late 1870s to 1880s.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1870-1879
Contains moving images taken from a Southern Pacific moving locomotive from the engineer's point of view. Written on box/reel: Upside down rails; 387-811; 8mm; Serrano Meet with 75-homeward tunnel; 6 - Atascadero; WSF 50/27 For additional information see California Revealed .
favoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
Topics: californiarevealed, Trains, Excursions
Source: 8mm film: 1 Reel of 1
Southern Pacific Railroad dining car No. 10026 "Castle Crags" at Sacramento on the transfer table adjacent to Car Shop 3. The view is looking north.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1890-1899
The Passenger Department of Southern Pacific issued 3,000 copies of this poster (A-1) advertising the publication of a 160-page promotional pamphlet "California for the Sportsman." The artist is Randal William Borough.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Animals, 1910-1919
California State Railroad Museum Library
image

eye 258

favorite 0

comment 0

View of a livestock pen adjacent to railroad tracks. Photograph taken at McConnells, near Elk Grove.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
California State Railroad Museum Library
image

eye 1,129

favorite 0

comment 0

Exterior view of PFE refrigerator car No. 744 (built 1906-1907 by American Car and Foundry), Class R 30 1, part of PFE's first lot of refrigerator cars. This wood-sheathed, ice-cooled car was used in express passenger service. Shippers paid a premium to assure fast delivery on a regularly scheduled passenger train.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
Exterior view of Southern Pacific Railroad passenger station at Colfax. This colonnade-style depot, completed circa 1906, is the second depot at Colfax.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
California State Railroad Museum Library
movies

eye 613

favorite 4

comment 0

Note : Due to original recording: vertical scratches visible. Debris in camera gate visible. Debrus on camera lens visible. Burnt and stained frames are visible. Contains moving images of a Big Trees Excursion Train, dated July 23, 1950. It begins at the San Francisco Third and Townsend Street depot, with images of activity around the depot. It then shows Southern Pacific steam locomotive no. 4402 backing onto the train. The film features several scenes of passengers boarding along the San...
Topics: californiarevealed, Trains, Excursions, Southern Pacific Railroad Company
Source: 8mm film: 1 Reel of 1
California State Railroad Museum Library
texts

eye 934

favorite 1

comment 0

Pamphlet covering everything you ever wanted to know about raising chickens in California.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Animals, 1910-1919
CP steam locomotive No. 2000 was a 4-8-0 built by the Schnectady Locomotive Works, as a 2-cylinder cross compound and placed into service in October of 1892. The locomotive was renumbered to 2847 in 1901, and scrapped in 1950.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1890-1899
The No. 5004 was placed into service July 10, 1925 and scrapped February 18, 1953. It was a 3 cylinder 4-10-2 freight locomotive built by the American Locomotive Company.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Southern Pacific steam locomotive No. 1 at Bay 25, the south end of Machine Shop, Sacramento Shops. The Machine Shop bays ran from north to south. This locomotive is now on display at the California State Railroad Museum. The image dates after 1905 when the Machine Shop was extended.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
CP box car 36903 is an early ventilated fruit car built for the Central Pacific in the 1880s and modernized soon after the turn of the century. Air-flow cooled the contents of the car. Ventilated cars were later replaced by refrigerated cars. This photograph was taken at the Sacramento Shops.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1900-1909
Sacramento Valley Railroad 4-4-0 steam locomotive "Pioneer." Inscription on back reads "Negative made in early 70s by E. L. Johnson, a Sacramento photographer son of Joseph Johnson of Sacto [sic] Valley Ry. Property of Mrs. Scott [illegible] daughter of E. L. Johnson."
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1860-1869
View looking north. Southeast end of Roundhouse is to left. Planing Mill (situated east to west) is at rear. Powerhouse is at center. Concrete walls of Blacksmith Shop are at right. A jib crane is at center. The brick Blacksmith Shop was constructed in 1870. In 1927 the south portion of the Blacksmith Shop was widened and rebuilt. This view probably dates from 1939 when the north end was widened to align with the 1927 remodel and the walls were covered with concrete.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
This 32-foot caboose was built circa 1872. It was the most common style built by the Central Pacific between 1872 and 1903. The basic configuration included wide side doors near the cupola end for the loading of baggage and express, and 4 bunks. The photograph may be dated after May of 1914 when the side doors were removed. This caboose was retired in April of 1928.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Southern Pacific Railroad McKeen motor car No. 9 (completed in 1908 and retired in 1920) in operation along the Sacramento Valley lines. Postcard number is 2717. Postmark is 1912.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
View of a bridge under construction.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Structures, 1890-1899
View is looking east across Sacramento River towards the Central Pacific Railroad passenger station (completed in 1879). McKeen motor cars are visible in shed to right rear. Southern Pacific steam locomotive No. 1, C. P. Huntington, is on display in grassy area to right of palm trees. This locomotive is now on display at the California State Railroad Museum. City streetcars ended their runs at right, allowing for convenient connections.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Interior view of a pattern storeroom. Patterns mimicked the form of a foundry casting in wood. Pattern makers used drawings or samples to form the pattern. Patterns were constructed from sugar pine and given a protective coat of varnish. Often the corporate initials "C.P.R.R." or "S.P.R.R." or "S.P. Co." plus "Sacramento, Cal." and a year indicated when and where the casting was made. Patterns could be used over and over again and were often stored for...
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
Cover and article ("The Romance of the Sacramento Division" - p. [3]-5, 22) from the August 1920 issue of the Southern Pacific Bulletin. History of the Southern Pacific's pioneer division, the Sacramento Division, from the 1850s to 1920.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Note : Due to original recording: played at 18 frames per second. vertical scratches visible Contains moving images of the Cragmont streetcar in Berkeley, California operating downtown and in residential areas. Written on box: Cragmont Street Car; Sep. 1947; Kneiss; 8mm; WSF 50/16 For additional information see California Revealed .
Topics: californiarevealed, Cable cars (Streetcars), Berkeley (Calif.)
Source: 8mm film: 1 Reel of 1
A view looking south over China Slough which is in the process of being filled in. The entrance to the Third Street tunnel, through which there was access to the Shops complex, is visible at right.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1900-1909
California State Railroad Museum Library
image

eye 206

favorite 0

comment 0

First straight train load of onions ever shipped from Sacramento forwarded by Wood Curtis Co., Growers & Shippers, Sacramento using Western Pacific motive power.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Sabotage of train along what is now the Yolo Causeway, between Sacramento and Davis. The American Railway Union called for a national boycott of the use of Pullman sleeping cars June 27, 1894. Strikers took control of stations and railway yards in many California cities and greatly disrupted service. Federal troops were called up in early July to restore the flow of goods and mail. The strike ended July 20. The board is stamped: Geo. D. Stewart photographer, 2501 O Street, Sacramento, Cal.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1890-1899
California State Railroad Museum Library
movies

eye 174

favorite 1

comment 0

Note : Due to original recording: vertical scratches visible. Debris in camera gate visible. Contains moving images of rail-fan excursions and shots of locomotives and equipment. The film begins with images of an Oahu Railway locomotive on an excursion trip, followed by a rail-fan excursion along the Southern Pacific Coast Division. Also includes shots taken from a Southern Pacific caboose on a freight train, a fan-trip behind a Southern Pacific steam locomotive, and shots of Southern Pacific...
Topics: californiarevealed, Trains, Excursions
Source: 8mm film: 1 Reel of 1
Central Pacific Railroad steam locomotive No. 1536 was out-shopped in April of 1868 by McKay and Aldus as CP No. 68, Peoquop. It was rebuilt in December of 1891 with a new H. J. Small-designed standard boiler and other improvements. In 1901 it was renumbered 2001. The 4-6-0 locomotive was scrapped September 26, 1933 at the Brooklyn yards. This photograph was taken in Tracy.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1890-1899
The SP hospital, erected in the early 1870s, was located at the corner of 8th and F Streets. It was the first hospital built for the exclusive use of railroad employees. Postcard number 5914 was made in Germany. Search Sacramento History Online for actual photographs of this building.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Buildings, 1870-1879
View is looking southwest. Buildings from left to right are: north side of Tin and Copper Shop and the east side of the Boiler Shop to right. The walkway and Third Street tunnel used to enter the shops complex are visible at center.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1890-1899
Central Pacific Railroad 4-6-0 steam locomotive second No. 177 on the turntable at the Sacramento Shops. This locomotive was built at the Sacramento Shops and placed into service August 7, 1886. It was renumbered 1764 in 1891 and 2193 in 1901, and scrapped November 20, 1916.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1880-1889
California State Railroad Museum Library
image

eye 332

favorite 0

comment 1

The I Street bridge over the Sacramento River, built by Southern Pacific Railroad, was completed in 1911 and is still in use today. It is a combination railroad and automobile bridge.
favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Railroad employees and officials of the May 23-28, 1922, Days of '49 celebration pose beside SP steam locomotive No. 1, C. P. Huntington. The third figure from the left, wearing a straw hat, has been identified as Charles Reed Dye Jones. To his right is John Baxter Rogers (1850-1940), a toolmaker and later a Sacramento police chief.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
California State Railroad Museum Library
image

eye 719

favorite 0

comment 0

3,000 copies of Southern Pacific poster A 183 were issued September 23, 1930 to advertise connections to the Railway Express Agency services.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1930-1939
Central Pacific No. 48, built at the Sacramento Shops, was placed into service September 23, 1868 as a 4-6-0T locomotive. It was rebuilt as a 4-4-0, nearly a completely new locomotive, and placed into service April 23, 1883 with a tender. The locomotive was renumbered 1366 in 1891. It served as a prototype design for additional 4-4-0 locomotives built at the Sacramento Shops in the 1880s.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
California State Railroad Museum Library
movies

eye 844

favorite 4

comment 0

Call Number : WSF 1200/2 Source : 1 Reel of 1: Film: 16mm Collection : Railroad Film Collection Rights : Copyright status unknown. This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, its reproduction may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. This work is accessible for purposes of education and research. Transmission or reproduction of works protected by copyright...
Topic: californiarevealed
Group portrait of Central Pacific Railroad Tin Shop employees at the Sacramento Shops. The Tin Shop produced all manner of locomotive and rolling stock components from sheet metal, ventilators and stove hoods to oil cans and headlights.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1870-1879
A monument to Theodore Dehone Judah, first Chief Engineer of the Central Pacific Railroad, was erected in a Sacramento municipal park opposite the Southern Pacific station. The artist is John A. MacQuarrie (1871-1944). The cornerstone was laid April 25, 1930 and the completed monument unveiled February 25, 1931. The monument was later moved into storage during the construction of Interstate 5 and eventually placed in Old Sacramento at the corner of Second and L Streets.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1930-1939
California State Railroad Museum Library
image

eye 205

favorite 1

comment 0

Cover from Southern Pacific promotional brochure A 497, issued October 22, 1926, touts California's fine climate, diverse industries, and recreational opportunities.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Note : Due to original recording: vertical scratches visible. Debris in camera gate visible. Contains moving images pertaining to three excursion trips. The first sequence dated December 6, 1953 is a Sacramento Northern excursion from 40th & Shafter in Oakland to Sacramento. The second sequence dated February 22, 1953 is a fan-trip over the Pacific Electric Railway from Pasadena to San Pedro using one of the Pacific Electric modern looking PCC streetcars. There are shots at Pasadena, North...
Topics: californiarevealed, Excursions, Trains
Source: 8mm film: 1 Reel of 1
Southern Pacific Railroad dining car No. 10003. The car was built as a Silver Palace sleeping car in 1869 and converted to a diner in the 1890s at the Sacramento Shops.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1890-1899
Note : Due to original recording: vertical scratches visible. Debris in camera gate visible. Contains moving images of two railroad excursions. The first portion of the film is a Southern Pacific rail-fan excursion on Mar 13, 1949 from Oakland to Pacific Grove / Asilomar by way of Niles and Milpitas. It was organized by the California National Railway Historical Society. Scenes include the brand-new California Zephyr equipment at the Oakland Mole prior to its inaugural run in only seven days,...
favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
Topics: californiarevealed, Excursions, Trains
Source: 8mm film: 1 Reel of 1
Interior view of Boiler Shop looking north. Boilers and truss work are on a dirt floor. At the Boiler Shop, boilers, tanks, and even smokestacks were manufactured and repaired by shearing, rolling, flanging and riveting thick metal plate. Steamboat boilers, generally larger than those on locomotives, also were routinely manufactured. In the early days most machines were hand-operated. Pneumatic and hydraulic power later took over many of the tasks.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
View looking west towards passenger boarding area on the north side of the passenger station. The brick SP hospital is at center in distance. The I Street bridge is to right. The wood construction Central Pacific Railroad passenger station (completed in 1879) is still standing. This photograph may date shortly after the February 27, 1926 dedication of the new brick facility.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1920-1929
Southern Pacific Railroad steam locomotive No. 1 "C. P. Huntington" on its way to San Francisco for display at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition (February 20 - December 4, 1915) in San Francisco. The locomotive is secured to SP flat car No. 40971 (Class F-50-4) on board car float No. 1.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1910-1919
Sheep en route to slaughter via the Southern Pacific Railroad. The cars appear to be sugar beet cars used as stock cars. Note the milk cans at the right, waiting for pick up. SP photograph No. 244.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Animals, 1910-1919
Interior of an unidentified Southern Pacific Railroad station with female employee. Although the specific location is not identified, the document hanging on the wall to the right of the clock, is a Sacramento schedule.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
California State Railroad Museum Library
movies

eye 1,631

favorite 5

comment 0

Description : Black and white amateur documentary footage of Western Pacific steam locomotives and trains (1937); color footage of Western Pacific freight trains and the "California Zephyr" (1957). From the Hugh G. Martin collection. Western Pacific was one of the more major railroads operating in California, and the "California Zephyr" one of its most well-known trains. Source : 1 Reel of 1: Film: 8mm Call Number : WSF 200/25 Rights : Copyright status unknown. This work may...
Topics: californialightandsound, home movie
Southern Pacific steam locomotive No. 1 elevated inside the Machine Shop (later the Erecting Shop). This locomotive is now on display at the California State Railroad Museum.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads, 1900-1909
This wood baggage car, was adapted to transport unrefrigerated milk products from the farm to the creamery. Photograph taken in Oakland, California, February 1948.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads
Southern Pacific Railroad flat car 79482 transports a load of giant strawberries. Postcard number 2189 was "Made in America." The same publisher, Edward H. Mitchell, issued a similar series of gigantic fruit images for the fruit and vegetables of Washington state.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Food, 1910-1919
Loading ice into the top compartment of a refrigerator car. The reefer was basically an insulated box car with ice compartments called bunkers at both ends. Corner roof hatches permitted checking or replenishing the ice supply.
Topics: californialightandsound, californiapreservationservice, Railroads