The Case of the UFOs
- Publication date
- Paramus, N.J. : Time-Life
The Case of the UFOs
Examines the evidence for and against the existence of extraterresrial visitors, introducing some serious investigators who feel there more to UFOs than fantasy. Includes interviews with firm believers and those who debunk their claims.
- 2015-07-02 00:44:50
- color: Good sound: Good synch: Good notes:
- This work is controversial and still disputed by many scientists. But if Brady in person to write it might explain the sort of thing that is alleged to have happened in this northern Arizona forest. It was near dusk on November fifth one nine hundred seventy five. A truckload of forestry workers were making their way home when they saw something strange to one side of the road they stopped and one of them. Travis Walton got on to take a closer look. As he got near something happened that made his companion's pen. Was hurrying up here just below the tops of the trees and it was about twenty twenty five feet in diameter. What he saw was a bright on your lumbering in midair. And I got up about here. Crops down behind a lot and I can hear sound coming from it was a very strange mechanical sound and I was kind of wrestling with the idea of being so close to the side expected it to take off and I'd write in running up here I figured this was my last chance to you know to see this thing up close but I decided I'd better get the hell out of there and as I raised up and turned to go I felt this Nami shock and black out the guys in the truck so they saw this brilliant beam come out of. Me in the head in the chest. When his companions return to the scene they found no sign of Travis he maintains that he blacked out and came to inside a strange room. Hybrid in regain consciousness very quickly I was. Very groggy in a lot of pain when I could finally focus my eyes I saw these creatures standing over me which just flipped me how to me like I was pretty stark. Screen opens a sense of mission and they started towards me and I grabbed the thing off on the table there and lashed out at him and they stopped and just kind of put the hands of like that out. And then they just turned around and left the room. And. I was afraid they'd come back so I was going to try to find a way out of there. Guess I kind of assume though is still that the craft was still here in the woods. I went looking for a way out I went into another room. I was looking for a way out another being and this was a very human appearing person he led me out of this craft which appeared to be parked inside of a larger building or larger craft just took me right out of there. Down a hallway to a room where there were some other people who look like they put this mask over my face was like Nah. There's no hose connected to put it over my face and that was the last time just black down rather small doses but the incident ended four days later when he found himself lying of the side of a road not far away. One explanation for what happened may lie in the working of the human brain according to Dr person for now the area we're interested in is right through here right below this particular Fisher and this is called the temporal lobe and to appreciate the structures were really interested in we have to cut the brain this way. Transversely or coronal Now this particular part of the brain is one of the most electrically unstable regions throughout the entire area if one stimulates this region right here which is the hippocampal region and including the make a light area one can get all types of experiences such as the release of dreamlike experiences into the waking state. A modification of memory even partial amnesia and a confabulation that is the feeling in that and or that blank space with fantasy and that fantasy is a function of what the person believes or has been taught or has experienced. One of the most interesting aspects of stimulating this part of the brain is the meaningfulness of it there's a cosmic experience type of effect by stimulating this by the brain in fact it's very similar to a type a religious experience. Dr pursuing their feels that what happened at Fatima in Portugal in the early years of this century can be explained in this way. Several thousands of people fall along with the display they thought it was the sun because they had no other word for it they called the sun but with blood the clouds. Estimated thirty thousand people saw that the that those that were closest to it had their riches in the tree and experience those that were far away. Only solid ball of light. Those that were very close and one religious persuasion. Saw Joseph or whatever those that were of another religious persuasion but they saw Christ the camera only saw a ball of light. Person or believe that a similar luminous display had an effect on Travis want that Travis was in case supports the model. Extraordinarily well he is basically a almost six but conductor semiconductor there was very close to the tremendous alumina display tremendous potential there. The discharge occurred between him and the part of his body that was closest to the bar which was this had an ice chest the ensuing events seem to indicate a case of partial and easier and a consummate confabulation my words the easier those three or four days were filled in with fantasy but the point is sense that part of the brain that is involved with memory and experience was modified by the severe shock he would not necessarily be lying he may actually believe that that's what happened telling others wanted to be sure the National Enquirer has long had an interest in U.F.O.'s and in selling newspapers they asked Walter to take a lie detector test and called in the services of Jack McCarthy I received a call at my home. Asking me to come to the Sheraton Hotel in Scottsdale you not to tell anybody where I was going to eat Well naturally I told my wife and picked up my portable equipment and left for the hotel. A lie detector is used to reveal whether a person is telling the truth. By measuring pulse rate respiration and blood pressure. Some experts however doubt its reliability but after two hours of questioning and recorded the reactions. McCarthy thought he had the answer when I completed my examinations to reading the charge I learned of the opinion to the reporters from The National Enquirer that the charge would be set to live in my opinion he was attempting to perpetrate a U.F.O. hoax. Well the little blue of the room. I've got a brother during the GOES FOR ME off the balcony. With a raging likable saying that no way that brother would line others try to really very clear. Obviously deceptive. And prior to the examination the reporters from The National Enquirer. Forgot to mention this. Asked me if I would have any objection. To having pictures taken of my church. New equipment and myself. Following examination this is no problem. Well after I rented my opinion. Pictures were completely forgotten we had no more interesting pictures than what they did do they went into an adjoining room and drew up a little form for me to sign asked me to send to the effect that I wouldn't reveal where I had been day they would say nothing about this examination and so forth to work. Travis Walton target is that he failed the test because he was excessively nervous as a result of his recent close encounter with aliens. Despite his claim of being overly nervous. His reactions on the chart are in self a disclaimer to that contention he would not overly nervous reaction when normal they were deceptive in my opinion. He is lying and did not taking the focus. So McCarthy felt the entire experience was a hoax. Travis Walton was given another test sometime later which he did that although the procedure used has been criticized. Despite the controversy the National Enquirer gave the forestry workers the U.F.O. encounter of the Year award with checks amounting to a total of five thousand dollars. Which so many right. We've got enough snow to mommy scientists following as we can see is. Two to three years later on New Years Day one hundred seventy eight television news broadcast throughout the world carried what is perhaps the most widely publicized U.F.O. sighting of all time. One of the. Surprise. These pictures of the U.F.O. was shot in New Zealand by a film crew that happened to be aboard a plane in the area. Good fun. Place. But I did a fine. Line of time. This is how the news reported but it might be worthwhile to take a closer look at what actually happened that night. The film was shot from this and Argosy freighter we asked the pilot Captain Bill started to take us through part of what happened that night flying the same of what. They are going to see had already made one trip earlier it had flown from Wellington in the North Island down the coast to Christ your. Paragraph it was on the return trip heading north but the most dramatic sightings were me they started shortly after takeoff. Ironically I have. Now I guess they just come out find out to the truth at the end of the nearly always spot this thing right not on the horizon and I think that it's just like the moon pulling coming up next in the fat but Iraq and they're. Better at twenty four hours while it anyway. At seventy five right on any given him about so I can take it to find out that it held the position relative to last the whole life its cost has no effect on about but it was a big of a trend we just continue to watch this and I think right now. They maintain the northerly course filming the springs light intermittently until eventually curiosity got the better of them and they decided to take a closer look. At thirty five miles south now that like to come right type store. And debate in the past candidates start to start it. We haven't had it. Here they diverted to the right of their planned course and obtained most of the really striking pictures later shown on the news. Us those big undone sing around the aircraft just three minutes after takeoff in Christchurch but one time there was many a stick. Radar in the a prompt and on the ground consume be unintended Phone flying objects. About ten miles from the plane using a slow motion freeze frame technique the incredibly clear come to is of a huge crowd could be seen the cameraman and ripple of a wreck and it was at least a hundred feet long there was clearly a dome on top of the sources shape and through the camera lay moves streams of lights could be seen. Willing round the object. Part of the drama of those pictures seems to be the result of the cameramen changing the focus of the image making it over large and mysterious in the pyramids. But what about the rapid whirling movements of the U.F.O.. The film shot on the plane that night has now been analyzed by an American Scientists. Bruce McCabe an optical physicist and a believer in U.F.O.'s Here he is determining the original brightness of the like. The frames convoluted Luke recorded in a twentieth of a second is believed by some to be proof of the extraordinary maneuverability of the alien spaceship. But now even Bruce McCabe except this is unlikely. Well the shape of this loop and my interpretation is that the camera was bombed in the alternative suggestions as if there were normal five break ins going on and somehow the camera stopped running for one frame. And of course the third alternative is that the object itself may have some sort of a high speed motion but I tend towards the bumping carry my saw. But McAfee does feel that other movements of the light show that it is under intelligent control that rolling and turning again is not on a natural occurrence of any known thing certainly isn't an airport began or whatever it would have been on the ground and then some fixed position so I would say that there are indications of intelligence but where that intelligence came from how it got there is no direct indication of that. Others are equally convinced that the flashing lights are navigation beacons. And that the rapid movement is the effect of vibration and bumping on a handheld camera. In the same way that these airport lights roll and turn. It is suggested however but the out of focus light seen earlier was something else. One of these alone Japanese Quick Books. Each summer a huge fleet of them regularly fish the New Zealand waters. As they work through the night they are festooned with powerful laughs. McCabe except that the light intensity is about right for a squid boat approximately ten miles away. But he thinks it was moving too fast for a sea vessels and as puzzled as to why there was no apparent reflection of the light in the water. The skeptics argue that other sightings from that night with the result of the combination of exceptional visibility and bright lights on the nearby sure but Captain started disagrees with twenty five miles out of Wellington That would be what you need lights plus some time on an old bundle and I appeared just near the center of a nice nearby that we could see the cod Cura township lights very clearly and these were about them you could see along that coastline there is a had no idea the trains might cause noisily they were quite different to the right and the baton off the coast and about the township and talk to us. So we're the strange light scene that night to arrest real or extraterrestrial atmospheric physicist Bill Ireland I think he saw lots of Christchurch now the airplane was around about here at the time and. Christchurch was down there I was a very clear not so could have been quite easy for them to see the lot from this position right away back up here the lights were doing something curious things and I think this is because the air was very clear this led them to believe that I'm seeing you. Will Ireland conducted an investigation into the sightings and feels that they saw nothing extraordinary that night I think they saw things what he can be quite easily explained such as. Sit city lights for squid but will lighthouses. I would point out that our could find no example which they guy which could not be explained this way. U.F.O. believers however are convinced there is significance in the apparent connection or tie up between the local radio reports and the sightings made by the crew aboard the plane. I'm down to be over for the ride to the and Rob we have that object might want to write a lot of the voters. It's about four miles away it's like a very. Very bright line. We could know the delights of Christchurch in front of me just beat him for my prize to trade their respect. Identified objects coming straight towards. Nobody can actually recall making that last statement. Nevertheless any radar echo which had a corresponding like seen at the same location is particularly interesting. Bruce McCabe maintains there were at least five such times and there's no doubt they tried to find them at night. At one point Wellington radar saw a blip. Closing fast on the Argosy and called Captain started and then he indicated that they gave Mitch talented write us great in the past which bitchy together that he said they were behind us private couple miles that stage the size of us having looked around. And about fifty five miles at a car should we started to go into the Today. It was a full three hundred sixty degree turn. They were looking for a like. Anything that could account for the radar blip. It was the second door but that night in which they had looked for a cause of the radar echoes from something near by. The first time they had seen nothing that was causing some concern to me but we had I think can call live and I don't. Consider down and punched altitude. I get a little bit more than curiosity I think there's times when I really think back on it but did the all but I don't know saw not what it was strikes me as we went round Well I tend to but still riches at the two images. Ground nothing surprising it was not surprising to the investigating scientist who claims much to the annoyance of the believers but there were no radar visual tie ups that were close enough to be convincing but there's no denying that the radar controller saw something which they regarded as unusual. John Cordy was not on duty the night of the building but he has seen this sort of U.F.O. Echo before. They had checked the the same appearance as an aircraft they can now. I don't think they were some of the bits with that sense was there they could have been. And certainly there was nothing in the echoes. Response on the screen that would lead you to have to think it was arranged this week you can tell now it's interesting I think in that connection to point out that the function of an air traffic controller is to maintain safe separation between an airplane and another aircraft and yet the Wellington radar traffic controller did not bother even took call Captain start ups plane and say I have unknown targets in your vicinity he did not do that until Captain start up called and said I've got a T.V. camera crew on board do you have any interesting blips for me and then the traffic controllers said Oh yes I have won I think ten miles ahead or five miles you're a laughter six miles to the right and so on and the interesting thing is that if Captain start up at that point really thought that there was some unknown aircraft and is vicinity or directly ahead of he would certainly have said to the controller. Please vector me out of the way if this is a craft if you don't know it's a debtor the if it's not operating under your control. Vector me around it because I don't want to run the risk of a collision. Yet Captain startup didn't ask for such directions nor does the traffic controller volunteer them and so based on that I think each. Them knew that these were simply atmospheric angels or anomalous blips we have to be very careful when we didn't pass messages to aircraft because you must not distract the pilot from his primary duty which is flying the airplane safely. And get my ass out the catalyst out of had enough money to fight with flying the airplane. Trying to look at the window talk to the cameraman that being distracted by calls from each other if nobody believed they were really solid objects the question remains what caused them. The weather according to Bill Ireland. During the New Zealand summer's extreme atmospheric conditions going to rise. Hot dry winds can cross over cold moist wins in such a way that at the interface between the two of violent turbulence occurs but to the naked eye there is nothing to be seen. The rocky mountains of Colorado as the air from those know it takes rolls across the prairie as it passes over a very sensitive radar it belongs to the government's environmental research laboratory and looking directly upwards there's apparently nothing to be seen except very high clouds but the radar tells another story. The display is traced out by a pen recorder and the interesting feature is that wavy line. Dr Russell checkbook. What we see here this country lading return is in the Optically Clear atmosphere if you went up there you wouldn't see anything there's nothing there except turbulence and water vapor other words their radar can see things that we can't see the human eye. On airport radar but it's much degraded resolution with C.D.'s as being more fistful lots that would tend to move until late on the screen maybe one moment they might be mistaken for an aircraft of the BE a dot on their display the next moment it might be something entirely different I think that it's highly likely people that mistake and these types of returns for us it is still debatable as to whether Wellington radar would have the power to see clear air turbulence at the range suggested but two days after the film's sightings a Royal New Zealand Air Force a Ryan took off to investigate another set of strange bliss as usual the echoes did not persist for long but guided by the radar controllers the Arayan found in some instances a boat and in other cases. Turbulence where the bullet had been. It's impossible to prove conclusively what the New Zealand U.F.O.'s were but like most U.F.O. sightings part of its interest lies in what it reveals about ourselves. Some people when confronted with unfamiliar lights in the sky like this feel the need to find an unusual explanation for them. Science has taken much of the mystery out of life and by concluding that the answer can be found in beings from other worlds they return an element of mystery to our own world. It's a bit like a religion to. Their sort of fed up with the science than the people who tell them that we can explain everything. We've taken all the mystery out of their law and to some people it's really an issue straight to have feelings that perhaps picture terrorist. With the huge expanses of space and time. Many people including scientists feel that it is highly possible that other intelligent life does exist in this universe but the odds that these beings would have busy today are quite unlikely so why do we have so many reports of U.F.O. needs. The idea that they might visit here they might be able to solve all of the problems war disease economic problems is is really sort of the adult acquit lent of Santa Claus who brings good things for good little girls and boys. So in my opinion the belief in U.F.O.'s will persist as long as there are people on this earth but it is a myth. Given that so many sightings on the result of overeager imaginations phones perceptions or outright hoax. Why does someone as experienced as Alan Henry going. For those rare few sightings. Perhaps one percent of all the reports I've had a chance to deal with what I feel that the item is identified not just because of conditions of capacity distance or darkness but because of the true descriptions and fissures which we confidently feel were described accurately to us that the organization at least as valuable for at documenting that material even for posterity if that's where a true understanding of the U.F.O. phenomenon has to come from. Some sightings of U.F.O.'s are difficult to explain. But by dismissing all of us fellows as having known conscious scientists may be missing out on discoveries of importance in the world around us. The easiest explanation for U.F.O. reports is that they are based upon explainable president come times very rare and sometimes a great one to dental occurrences but they're still understandable in terms of what we know about the world. The pity is that there could indeed be something extraordinary masquerading behind us all reports now when I say extraordinary I mean something perhaps a bit of genuine interest to science such is the earthquake life or ball lightning or perhaps some kind of insect manifestations and the pity is that such crap is genuinely interesting phenomena are being the glossed over and camouflaged by by popular misperceptions about you if I was I'd like to see better research and better standards to see if there is indeed a residue inside the sidings one I cannot prove that there is not always saying I skeptics is that the theories of extraordinary phenomena are not themselves proved you have photos do exist but before we can begin to explain the few incidents that remain truly on identified we need to better understand the nature of the scientific process and the needs of the human mind. It is only then that we will be able to discover whether the key to U.F.O. lose lies high above in the heavens or right here on our own mysterious planet Earth. Our with.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3
- Worldcat (source edition)