Launch date > 10 July 2002
Purpose > The Memory Hole exists to preserve and spread material that is in danger of being lost, is hard to find, or is not widely known.
• Government files
• Corporate memos
• Court documents (incl. lawsuits and transcripts)
• Police reports and eyewitness statements
• Congressional testimony
• Reports (governmental and non-governmental)
• Maps, patents, Web pages
• Photographs, video, and sound recordings
• News articles
• Books (and portions of books)
The emphasis is on material that exposes things that we’re not supposed to know (or that we’re supposed to forget).
Funding > The Memory Hole is funded entirely out of Russ’ own shallow pockets, including the money that readers like you graciously tuck into those pockets. It contains no e-commerce, subscriber areas, or ads (except for the obvious self-promotion of those books written or edited by Russ). It does not receive funding from foundations.