Established 1852 by Thomas Meehan (1826-1901). Meehan was born in England and worked as a Kew gardener prior to moving to Philadelphia in 1848. His brother Joseph Meehan (1840-1920) joined the firm in 1859. Thomas Meehan's three sons Thomas B. Meehan, Mendelson Meehan and J. Franklin Meehan also had notable careers while they ran the nursery. J. Franklin designed parks and golf courses including Spring Ford Country Club, Ashborne Country Club and North Hills (originally called Edge Hill Golf Club). Meehan and family supplied plants to the United States and Europe for seven decades, expanding to cover 60 hectares in the twentieth century. Their specialty was ornamentals, such as Japanese maples. In 1888, Thomas Meehan rediscovered the Pink Dogwood Cornus florida var. rubra, which was thought to be extinct, along the banks of the Wissahickon Creek, which is now part of Philadelphia municipal park system. Meehans researches in botany led to his being the editor of The Gardeners Monthly (18591888), and then of Meehans' Monthly (18911902), two horticultural journals with the largest circulation at that time. Meehan wrote his own agriculture columns for five newspapers
Description based on: Spring of 1887; title from cover
Meehan, Thomas, 1826-1901
ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR)
Possible copyright status
Public domain. The BHL considers that this work is no longer under copyright protection.