Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World
This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in
the world by JSTOR.
Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries.
We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial
Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.jstor.org/participate-jstor/individuals/early-
JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please
April 6, 1851, B. F. Carter; (c) Mary Elizabeth, married, first, George
Sykes; secondly, Dr. William Batte.
Additions and corrections requested.
Lto be continued.]
THE WITHERS FAMILY.
In the two preceding numbers we have presented the only accounts
which exist, giving connected accounts of several generations of the
family, viz: The entries in the Bible and the account printed in April.
These, it would appear, relate to the descendants of James Withers, who
is stated to have come to Virginia in 1690. What follows will have to
be compiled from wills, deeds and other records, and from information
furnished by various persons of the name.
Two papers purporting to be copies of the Bible record have been ex-
amined. One gave what was printed on pages 311-313. The other
contained a blank where the name " Koons Withers " appears in the copy
which was printed. There is good reason to believe that the Bible en-
tries are difficult to read, and that the name rendered " Koons," is
"Keene." This Koons Withers, born 1727-8, should probably be
Keene ia name pronounced and often written Cain) Withers. It appears
from the Stafford records that the inventory of the estate of " Mr. Cain
Withers, deceased " was recorded November, 1756, and that his wife was
named Elizabeth. There appears to have been no will. There is also
on record in Stafford the application of Elizabeth, widow of " Keen
Withers," but then wife of Andrew Edwards, for the division of the real
estate of William Withers.
Keen (Cain) Withers married Elizabeth Cave, and is shown by the
records to have had the following children (perhaps there may have been
others): 1. John; 2. James; 3. William. There is on record in Fauquier
a deed, July 25, 1796, from John Withers (son of Cain Withers) and Eliz-
abeth his wife, to his brother James Withers And also another deed,
February 4, 1813, from James Withers of Fauquier to his son Jennings
Withers, of Stafford county, conveying land in Stafford, which was form-
erly given to Cave Withers, brother of said Jennings, and which said
James Withers, the father, inherited from his mother Elizabeth Cave,
who married Keen Withers. He also mentions in the deed, land which
had been sold for the benefit of his (James) son John. James Withers,
who made the deed, married in Fauquier in 1775, Chloe Jennings (mar-
riage bond dated November 4, 1775). An account of the descendants
of James and Chloe (Jennings) Withers has been promised.
It appears from the Bible record that John, son of James Withers and
Elizabeth his wife, died October 25, 1794 (aged eighty years). There is
88 VIRGINIA HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
recorded in Fauquier in 1794 an order for the division of certain lands
whereof John Withers, Sr., late of Stafford county, deceased there seized.
The said John Withers had made a will by which part of said land was
devised to William Withers. The other legatees were to draw for their
shares. There seems to be no doubt that the John Withers whose estate
is here divided, was the John Withers of the Bible, just referred to.
There is in Fauquier a deed dated October 2, 1804, from Enoch K.
Withers and Janet his wife, conveying to John Blackwell, Sr., land in
Fauquier which was part of a larger tract formerly belonging to John
Withers, deceased, of Stafford county, who had devised it to his children,
viz: 150 acres to his son William, for life, with remainder to his grandson
John; and the residue to his three daughters, named in his will, one of
whom, Nancy, had married Nathaniel Smith, and sold her interest to the
said Enoch K. Withers. Also in Fauquier, a deed April 25, 1798, from
William Withers, of Lincoln county, Ky., to John and Enoch K.
Withers, of Fauquier, reciting that the said William Withers had ap-
pointed the said John Withers, his attorney, to sell any land he (William)
possessed under the will of his father John Withers, of Stafford county,
deceased. To the only son of John Withers, of Stafford idied 1794) who
can be definitely assigned, was William Withers who lived in Lincoln
county, Ky., in 1798.
In regard to the branches of the Withers family in Fauquier county,
there is even less evidence on which to base suggestions as to their con-
nection with the main stock in Stafford, as given in the Bible record.
James Withers, of Fauquier made a will dated January 9, and proved
January 30, 1784, in Fauquier. He gives his youngest son George
Washington Withers, all of the land the testator lives on, 573 acres, 4
slaves, &c. ; to eldest son James, 2 slaves now in said son's possession;
daughter Nanny Duncan, 1 slave; son John, one slave; granddaughter
Bridgett McKay, daughter of Isaac and Bridgett McKay, one slave.
Rest of estate between wife Jemima, daughters Hannah Pickett, Nanny
Duncan, and Betty Jennings, and sons James, William and John. So this
James Withers, of Fauquier, who died in 1784, had issue: 1. James; 2.
John; 3. William; 4. George Washington; 5. Betty, married Jen-
nings; 6. Nanny, married Duncan; 7. Bridget, married Isaac McKay.
An account of some of the descendants of James Withers (1784) is
promised. His youngest son George Washington was doubtless born
during or shortly after the Revolution, say about 1780. Therefore this
James Withers could hardly have been the James of the Bible record,
who was born in 1717, but was probably the one born in 1736. He may,
however, have been a son of one of the other sons of James and Eliza-
beth Withers, with whom the Bible record begins.
Another James Withers died in Fauquier in 1791. As he had a grand-
son born in 1760, it is probable that he was the James Withers, of the
Bible record, who was born in 1717. The James who died in 1791, mar-
ried Elizabeth , and had issue (according to his will dated May 4,
and proved July 25, 1791): 1. Thomas; 2. John; 3. Elizabeth; 4. Han-
nah; 5. Cain; 6. Lucy; 7. Centhy; 8. William; 9. Sithy; 10. Sally; 11.
Thomas Withers, the son, made a will which was dated November 5,
and proved in Fauquier, December 22, 1794. In it he names his brother
William Withers, and the following children: 1. John; 2. Enoch (Keene);
3. Matthew Keen; 4. Susanna, married Chinn; 5. Joseph; 6. Wil-
liam; 7. Benjamin; 8. Hannah, married Winn; 9. Betty, married
Captain Minor Winn; 10. Mary, married Jordan; 1 1. Sally, married
William Withers (son of John of 1791) made a will dated November
21, 1803, and proved in Fauquier, January 23, 1804, names the following
children: 1. James, to whom he gives land in Culpeper, where James
lived, and 109 acres adjoining; 2. Spencer, to whom and his wife, he
gives certain land with reversion to their children, and also negroes, &c. ;
3. Susanna; 4. Elizabeth, wife of John Withers; 5. Molly, wife of Wm.
Withers; 6. Alice, wife of John Ball, Jr.; 7. Agatha, wife of Martin Por-
ter; 8. Jesse, to whom he confirms gift of land where Jesse lives, and
which had been bequeathed to him (the testator) by his father; 9. Eli-
jah; 10. Lewis, to whom he gives the land where testator then lived;
and also a legacy to granddaughter Betty, daughter of William Withers.
It does not appear whether Elizabeth and Molly Withers were daugh-
ters or daughters-in-law, probably the former, as there is no bequest to
Elijah Withers (son of William I removed to Caswell county, N. C,
about 1800, and was father of Elijah K. Withers, and grandfather of E.
B. Withers both of that county, and great-grandlather of Hon. Eugene
Withers, of Danville, Va., member of the State Senate.
The will of Thomas Withers l who died, 1794) has been cited. A de-
scendant gives the following in regard to his children: 1. John, moved
to Gallatin, Tenn.; 2. Matthew Keane, married Jennings, and
moved to Kentucky; 3. William, married Patsy Ashby, of Fauquier, and
was a captain in the Revolution; 4. Enoch Keene, born October 14,
1760; married Janet Chinn; 5. James, died unmarried; 6. Joseph, died
unmarried; 7. Benjamin, moved to Kentucky, and had a large family;
8. Sukey, married Chichester Chinn; 9. Sally, married Minor Wynn, 10.
Nancy, married Cato West.
The will of Enoch Keane Withers, or Enoch Withers, as he is styled
in the will, was dated September 22, 1809, and proved in Fauquier, Au-
gust 23, 1813. He states that he is about to visit the western country.
His legatees were his wife Jannet; son Thomas Thornton, who is stated
to be pursuing his studies as a professional man, which he is to complete;
son Alexander Scott, who is also being educated for a profession; his
children, in general, and his sister Anna. There is recorded in Fauquier,
90 VIRGINIA HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
a deed dated June 7, 1794, from Thomas Withers, Sr., of Fauquier, to
Enoch K. Withers, conveying part of a tract of land patented by James
Withers, Sr., and by him devised to the said Thomas Withers.
Enoch K. Withers lived at "Green Meadows," Fauquier county. He
was born as has been stated, in 1760, and married Jannet, daughter of
Thomas and Jannet (Scott) Chinn. They had nine children, in regard
to only three of whom the writer has information: 1. Dr. Thomas Thorn-
ton; 2. Robert Walter, 3d son, born February 22, 1795; 3. Alexander
Scott, fourth child, born October 12, 1792, educated at Washington Col-
lege, and William and Mary, was a lawyer; removed in 1827 to the
present West Virginia, and settled finally near Clarksburg. He was the
author of the well known "Chronicles of Border Warfare," published
at Clarksburg, 1831. He married Malinda Fisher, and died January 23,
1865, having had two sons (one Major Henry W. Withers, served in 12th
(U. S.) Virginia Regiment in the Civil War) and three daughters: Mrs.
Jennet S., wife of Thomas Tavenner, of Parkersburg, West Virginia;
Mrs. Mary T. Owen, of Galveston, Texas, and Mrs. Elizabeth Ann
Thornhill of New Orleans.
Robert Walter Withers, son of Enoch K. Withers, was the father of
Robert E. Withers, of Wytheville, Va.; born in Campbell county, Sept.
18, 1821; Colonel of the 18th Virginia Regiment, C. S. A., and was
severely wounded near Richmond 1862; elected Lieutenant Governor of
Virginia 1873, and U. S. Senator 1875-81.
The will of a "James Withers, Sr.," which is endorsed "will of Cap-
tain James Withers," was dated November 23, 1808, and proved in
Fauquier, December 20, 1808. He makes bequests to his children and
wife (without naming them), directs part of his lands in Kentucky to be
sold and that his grandson Braddock Withers is to be given to "my
brother John Withers," to be brought up; appoints his sons Daniel and
The only brothers James and John, who appear in any of the wills are
the sons of James Withers who died 1784; and the sons of Cain Withers,
of Stafford. But the James, son of Cain, is known from deeds which
have been cited, to have had sons named Jennings, Cave and John; and
neither of these names appears in the will of James (1808 1 so it seems
there can be but little doubt that the last named was a son of James
William (son of Thomas) Withers who married Patsy Ashby and is
stated to have been a captain in the Revolution, removed to Kentucky
and settled in Mercer county. He was again in the army, and was
severely wounded at the battle of the River Raisin. His son Abijah
Withers, was the father of William Withers of Milsop, Texas, and of
Elizabeth Withers, who married Dr. G. B. Mason, of Green county, Ills.
Another branch of the family which has not yet been connected with
parent line, descends from Thomas and Elizabeth Bonham Withers,
probably of Frederick county, where son Reuben was born March 29,
1789. Thos. Withers married a second time and removed to Kentucky;
but his son Reuben settled in Alexandria, Va., where he became an ex-
tensive merchant, and about 1816 removed to New York city. His son
Dunham Withers, was the father of A. W. Withers, of Gloucester county,
Va. In this branch of the family is an old armorial emblazening, on
the back of which is the following inscription: "The arms of the Family
of Withers, as granted and confirmed to Sir R'd Withers, of East Sheen,
the ancestor of the poet, and registered in the College of Arms, London,
1487." The ar.ns are argent, a chevron gules, between three crescents
sable. Crest: a Rhinosceros or.
(to be continued.)
THE YATES FAMILY.
The name of Yates or Yeates appears in the early history of Virginia
on her Land Books and other still extant records. The first of the name
who seems to have founded a family, was the Rev. Bartholomew Yates,
rector of Christ Church, Middlesex county, from March 15, 1703, until
his death, July 26, 1734. His predecessor in charge of that church was
the Rev. Robert Yates, who was supposed by Bishop Meade to have
been his father. It will appear that this is a mistake and that they were
brothers, not father and son. Robert Yates' rectorship began 1699, but
his health compelled him to relinquish it and to return to England.
Charles Yates, born 1728, emigrated to Virginia in 1752 and settled in
Fredericksburg, where he lived as a prosperous merchant until his death
in 1809. He was childless, and at his instance his nephew, John Or-
feur Yates, came to Virginia in 1792. He was a member of the Law
Class in William and Mary College in 1801 or 2, where he fought a duel.
He inherited all of his uncle's property, including a farm in Jefferson
county, upon which he resided until his death. He is the stirps of a
Charles Yates was the son of Rev. Francis Yates, of Whitehaven,
England, who was the son of another Rev. Francis Yates, of the same
One of the descendants of John O. Yates, the Rev. Felix K. Aglionby,
now of England, obtained from the Registrar of the Diocese in Chester
the following record of the family of William Yates, of Shackley, in the
Parish of Donnington, who died in 1697, and Katharine his wife who
died in October, 1 706.
1. John, born November 3, 1658. Baptized November 28, 1658.
2. Mary, born March 19, 1660. Baptized, April 23, 1660.
3. William, baptized December 10, 1661.
4. Benjamin, baptized August 20, 1663.
5. Samuel, baptized July 18, 1665.