DOES HER “BIT”
Director Municipal Intelligence Bureau
WALTER G. FESSEY
MARGARET LILLIS HART
MUNICIPAL INTELLIGENCE BUREAU
Suite 215, 57 Queen Street West
TORONTO . CANADA
Copyright, Canada, 1918
Suite 215 , 57 Queen Street West
Phone Adel. 5534
Chairman, George Wright Controller Maguire
Member Board of Trade Member City Council
W. Nelson Wilkinson William A. Proctor
Managing Editor Sunday and Daily World Bank of Toronto
The Municipal Intelligence Bureau is now ready to furnish in-
formation about the City of Toronto; also to furnish information
about any other city in the Dominion of Canada.
ASK US ABOUT
Conduct of the city’s business, public men, churches, schools,
theatres, business houses, election returns, clubs, societies, Board of
A special feature of the Municipal Intelligence Bureau is the
publication of the Toronto Municipal Year Book, the purpose of which
is to give accurate, intelligent and ready information about the City
Hubert Groves, director of the M.I.B., is a former Toronto news-
paperman, having been municipal reporter at the City Hall for the
W orld and News.
HOW THE BUREAU IS SUPPORTED.
Sale of Year Book.
The Municipal Intelligence Bureau does not solicit public sub-
scriptions. It is self-supporting. Through the sale of the Toronto
Municipal Year Book the Bureau maintains itself, and establishes its
Service Bureau. Charge is also made for written reports.
Anyone can become a member of the Bureau by purchasing two
copies of the Toronto Municipal Year Book. One dollar per volume.
Each member is asked to send one copy outside of Toronto, to
“ BOOST TORONTO ”
THE SOLDIERS’ FRIEND
MAYOR THOMAS LANGTON CHURCH
TO WHOM THIS BOOK
I N the compilation of this volume
I have taken the deepest pleasure,
and I wish to add that it has been a
sacred trust to send forth a lasting
record of what the City of Toronto has
done during the Great War.
Many of Toronto’s sons sleep be-
neath the poppies of “Flanders” and
“Somewhere in France,” and their
gallant deeds have placed our fair city
on the map of the World in blood red.
To the Mothers, Wives, Sisters,
Sweethearts and Friends of these vali-
ant heroes, there are no words expressive
enough to fully convey an appreciation
for the many comforts afforded the boys
overseas, through their untiring efforts.
Toronto, March i, 1918
CIRCULATION IN CHARGE OF
Pte. H omer W. Walker
Pte. Charles E. Thomas
3rd “Toronto” Battalion
TORONTO DOES HER “BIT”
LIST OF BATTALIONS FORMED IN TORONTO.
INCIDENTS ABOUT SAME. PATRIOTIC
AND RED CROSS WORK. TORONTO
T HE eyes of the entire world are focused upon the Dominion
of Canada, and Toronto through the valiant service of her
gallant sons in “Flanders” and “Somewhere in France,”
shines as one of the brightest gems of the British Empire.
Toronto has contributed more men for active service than any
other city in Canada.
Toronto has given the largest contribution to the Patriotic and
Red Cross Funds of any city in the British Empire.
Toronto made a larger Subscription to the “Victory Loan” than
any other city in the Dominion of Canada, and established a world’s
record for a like campaign.
Toronto has indeed played a large part in the Great World War
and her efforts have been one continual earnest endeavor to finish the
war as soon as possible.
Some Facts and Figures
to March ist, 1918
Enlistments from Toronto (bona fide residents) 44,000
Total deaths 3,12 4
Paid out by city to dependents (on ihsurance) 12,097,000
Patriotic Fund 2,000,000
Toronto Casualties in Four Battles
Somme Zillebeke Vimy Lens
Killed 525 157 251 405
Wounded 1,771 595 810 1,213
Missing and prisoners 117 129 50 109
111 40 ... 11 24
Total 2,453 881 1,112 1,751
MAJOR-GENERAL MERCER, C.B,
TORONTO GENERAL GIVES HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY.
T HERE’S not a finer officer or gentleman in all the Canadian
Army,” was the expression used by one of the gallant 2nd
Battalion soldiers of the ist Canadian Contingent in des-
cribing the late Major-General Malcolm Smith Mercer, C.B., the
General Mercer C.B.
Toronto “Queen’s Own” commander, who as officer directing the
movements of the Canadian division which barred the German
Army’s path when it tried to break through to Calais, “saved the
situation” for the Allies. In recognition of the great service rendered
to the British Empire on that critical occasion, General Alderson of
the British forces sent a special message to General Mercer’s family-
expressing his appreciation of the Toronto officer’s achievement.
Was Wise to Germans
Like several of the British Army generals, including such notables
as Lords Roberts and Kitchener, it has had to be recorded that the
life of Major-General Mercer was lost to the service of the Empire
before the great war had been two years in progress. Major-General
Mercer was making a tour of the front-line trenches on a morning in
June of 1916. He had some premonition that the Germans on this
particular morning intended an offensive and was making an inspection
to ensure that everything, down to the last detail, was in readiness to
repel the attack. True to his expectation, the Germans suddenly
“sent over” a hail of shells which formed a “barrage” between the
front-line trenches and the Canadian divisional headquarters. Gen-
eral Mercer was stunned by the explosion of a shell which burst
close by, killing and wounding several of his staff officers. Realizing
the importance of returning to headquarters, General Mercer tried
to fight his way there in spite of the “barrage” danger facing him,
but he fell, mortally wounded, while making the brave attempt.
This was on June 2nd. His body was found, with three wounds in
it, in Armagh Wood. He was buried at the front, at Poperinghe.
An incident related by the men at the front throws a sidelight on
the kindness of General Mercer and explains why he was held in such
high esteem by the men, of all ranks, who were his comrades-in-
Corporal Saves Him
A corporal of the 2nd Battalion was standing in a sheltered position
during a rebombardment by the Germans of a section of the enemy
front which the Canadians had just won by an early-morning surprise
attack. He noticed another soldier standing unconcernedly at a spot
where the German gunners were apparently trying to direct their fire.
Anxious to prevent his comrade from unnecessarily risking his
life and also at a loss to understand the other’s action, he called loudly,
in language of vigorous terms, to him to seek shelter. In a few
moments the other soldier joined the corporal but the latter’s astonish-
ment can be imagined when he discovered he had been giving direc-
tions to General Mercer. The General, however, at once thanked
the corporal for the warning he had given, remarked that he had
done right in calling to him, and said, “I guess you and I will go down
below together for awhile.” The corporal was Pioneer-Corporal
Smith, better known as “Smissy,” who had enlisted at Oshawa, Ont.
Had a Big Heart
After that, it frequently happened that when General Mercer was
on his inspectional tours, although accompanied by a retinue of staff
officers, he would halt for a moment or so to chat with the corporal,
such occasions being of course times of mystery and wonderment to the
other members of the corporal’s battalion.
General Mercer’s “gallant and distinguished conduct in the
field” was the cause of his twice being mentioned in war despatches
by General Sir Douglas Haig. On three different occasions General
Mercer’s family in Toronto have received letters from His Majesty,
King George, referring to the General’s part in the great war.
The divisional command held by General Mercer was succeeded to
by Major General David Watson, who went overseas in command of
the 2nd Battalion, the regiment of the First Canadian Contingent
which contained a large number of soldiers who had enlisted in Toronto,
their unit distinguishing itself at St. Julien, Festubert and Givenchy.
Toronto Pays Tribute
The tribute paid to the memory of General Mercer by Toronto,
Ontario and the whole Dominion, was the great service held in St.
Paul’s Anglican Church, on Sunday evening, July 5th, 1916.
Those present at the service included Brig-Gen. Sir Henry Pellatt,
representing the Duke of Connaught; Sir William H. Hearst, Premier
of Ontario; Lieut. -Col. Alex. Fraser, representing the Lieut.-Governor,
Sir John Hendrie; Lieut. -Col. Herbert Bruce, representing Major-
General Sir Sam Hughes, Minister of Militia; Hon. Dr. R. A. Pyne,
Minister of Education for Ontario; Lieut.-Col. R. C. Levesconte,
Lieut. -Col. Arthur G. Peuchen, Lieut.-Col. W. G. Mitchell; and
Controller R. H. Cameron, officially representing the City of Toronto.
The mourners included Mr. Frederick T. Mercer, Mr. John Mercer,
Mr. Frank Mercer, and Mr. S. Bradford, the deceased General’s
The sermon was preached by Lieut.-Col., Ven. Archdeacon H. J.
Cody. He said the example set by General Mercer was an inspiration
to all Canadians. In an eloquent tribute, he described the General
“as one of Canada’s greatest military leaders, the pride of his regi-
ment, a philosopher by nature, a lawyer by profession, a soldier by
instinct, and above all a gentleman, a scholar and a Christian.”
Major-General Malcolm Smith Mercer, C.B., was born in York
County, near the City of Toronto.
WORK OF COL. NASMITH
C.M.G. Conferred on Him by King George
P ROMINENT among the Toronto officers who have given war
services of high value because of their scientific knowledge is
Col. George G. Nasmith, C.M.G., now on the Medical Health
Staff of the city, who went to England with the ist Canadian Contin-
EiEut.-Col. Nasmith, C.M.G., Ph.D.
(Inventor of the Gas Mask)
gent as advisor on sanitation and an expert on water purification, and
later, in France, had charge of the Canadian Mobile Laboratory.
A work of extreme importance not only for the Canadian Army
but for the Allies in general was Colonel Nasmith’s invention of gas
masks to be worn by the troops when the Germans made a gas
attack. He also devised a system which provided a supply of pure
drinking water for the soldiers and also did other immensely valu-
able work in sanitation and hygiene. It was because the Imperial
authorities recognized the indebtedness of the nation to Colonel
Nasmith for services accomplished that he was decorated by the King
as a Companion of the Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and
In Charge of Field Laboratory
When the ist Canadian Division crossed from England to France,
Colonel Nasmith became officer in charge of the Field Laboratory
attached to the British Army. For eighteen months he carried
on his work in France, always just in touch of the firing line. He
returned to Toronto at the end of the year 1916 to resume his duties
in the Department of Public Health. Since returning, Colonel
Nasmith has written a book descriptive of his experiences in France.
It is not only interesting and informative, but also important. The
book is entitled, “On the Fringe of the Great Fight.”
THE CALL TO ARMS
MORE THAN 65,000 TORONTO MEN DON THE KHAKI.
T ORONTO City has more than 65,000 men on the overseas
honor-roll of volunteers who joined the colors from the opening
of the war in August, 1914, to the proclamation of compulsory
service on October 13th, 1917. All the members of the Toronto
regiments, both officers and men, who had any chance of being found
eligible, volunteered almost to a man for active service. In the
sudden crisis, the Toronto militia officers put forth every dollar in the
regimental treasuries to rush the work of mobilization, and went
$50,000 into debt before the Recruiting League was formed, which
carried the recruiting campaigns forward with great success until
Toronto city and district outstripped all other parts of Canada in the
proportion of its sons in khaki.
First Military Camp
Major-General F. L. Lessard, C.B., established the first military
camp at Exhibition Park in October, 1914, and was succeeded on
January ist, 1915, by Major-General W. A. Logie, who was then a
colonel, and has since been promoted to the rank of brigadier-general
and then to major-general, in recognition of his efficient administration
of the Toronto Military District. The appointment has met with the
complete approval of the entire military and best civilian elements of
It is to be remembered that the total of 65,000 Toronto men on
active military service includes a large number of drafts of Artillery-
.G.O.C. Military District No. 2
men. Cavalry, Engineers and members of the Cyclists, Signallers,
Army Service Corps, Army Medical Corps, Veterinary Corps, Dental
Corps, Pioneer Corps, Forestry and Railway Construction Corps, and
the Mechanical Transport Section.
The Toronto militiamen who formed the First Canadian Contin-
gent from this city went from Toronto as drafts from the various
Regiments, not being welded into battalion form until after reaching
the Valcartier mobilization camp.
It was on August 20, 1914, that the first drafts that were to see
active service as infantrymen went eastward from Toronto. They
consisted of 360 members of the 12th York Rangers Regiment, 230
from the 36th Peel Regiment, and about 150 men each from the
Governor-General’s Body Guard and the 9th Mississauga Horse.
Nearly 1,200 more Torontonians left to take part in the war on
August 23, 1914, thousands of the citizens being at the station to
cheer them off. That day’s quota from Toronto comprised 800
members of the Queen’s Own Rifles and about 350 members of the
10th Royal Grenadiers.
Off to Valcartier — 15TH Battalion
A thousand members of the 48th Highlanders, under command
of Col. John A. Currie, M.P., left Toronto for Valcartier on August
Col. John A. Currie, M.P.
29, I9 I 4- Although it was pouring with rain at the time, 25,000 of
Toronto’s citizens were at the station to bid the Kiltie soldiers farewell.
Like the other Toronto regiments forming the first contingent from
Canada, the 48th played a prominent and noble part in stemming the
Hun forces when they tried to break the Allied line at Langemarck
and St. Julien. At the front the Highlanders were known as the
Three other drafts from Toronto also went eastward on the 29th
of August. The Queen’s Own sent away 200, the Royal Grenadiers
80, and the Mississauga Horse, 75.
Toronto City has sent, or largely contributed the following in-
fantry battalions to the Canadian front in France and Flanders: —
2nd Battalion, First Canadian Contingent, Lt.-Col. David Watson,
commander, contained several hundred Toronto men, picked from the
Governor-General’s Body Guard and the 9th Mississauga Horse. The
commander of the 2nd Battalion, who prior to enlisting, was man-
aging-editor of the Quebec Chronicle, is now a major-general, in the
4th Canadian Division. The 2nd Battalion members have made
themselves justly famous, having participated in the same important
engagements as the “Toronto” 3rd Battalion and the “Fighting
3rd Battalion, First Canadian Contingent, Lt.-Col. R. Rennie,
commander, contained several hundred members from both the 2nd
Queen’s Own Rifles, 10th Royal Grenadiers, and a good contingent
from the G.G.B.G. It has been on the firing line in France and Flan-
ders from the outset of the Canadian soldiers’ participation in the
fighting when the First Contingent stemmed the Germans’ terrific
onslaught at Langemarck, and has nobly “done its bit” by taking
part in many decisive battles during the last three years. It is
often, and quite properly, referred to as the 3rd “Toronto” Bat-
talion and owing to its many casualties has been heavily reinforced
by Toronto infantry drafts.
Lt.-Col. “Bart” Rogers is the present O.C., and he went overseas
with the 3rd as a lieutenant. Col. Rogers and one other soldier are
the only two of the original 3rd Battalion now at the front.
On the elevation of General Rennie to the command of the 4th
Brigade, Lt.-Col. W. D. Allan was given command of the 3rd Battalion,
which command he held until he died, as a result of an operation
necessitated by wounds received in action. Col. Allan won the re-
spect and esteem of all the men of his battalion. If he had been spared,
he was in line for promotion to the command of a brigade.
Colonel Allan joined the Queen’s Own Rifles as a private in “K”
Company in 1895 un der General Rennie, then captain of the company.
Granted a commission in 1900, he finally became Captain of “K” Com-
Brig.-Gen. R. Rennie
pany which he commanded at the outbreak of the war. “K” Company
joined No. 1 Company of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Canadian Contingent.
Major A. E. Kirkpatrick joined “K” Company (Old University
Company), Queen’s Own Rifles, as private, 1893; was promoted to
corporal, sergeant, and finally colour-sergeant of “K” Company;
was appointed Lieutenant in 1897, First Lieutenant 1900; was ap-
pointed Captain of “E” Company in 1904; gazetted as Brevet-Major
1914; gazetted Major in 1915.
At the outbreak of War in August, 1914, he was appointed in
command of No. 1 Company, and left with that battalion for Val-
cartier; at Valcartier was appointed junior major of the 3rd Battalion.
After training at Valcartier and Salisbury Plains he left for France
with his battalion and, shortly after the arrival of the battalion there,
was appointed second in command of the battalion. In the second
battle of Ypres he had command of “C” and “D” Companies of that
battalion, took up an advance position on the left of St. Julien and
earned the title of “Hang-on Kirkpatrick,” owing to the fact that he
held the position until entirely surrounded by the Germans, and was
taken prisoner with what were left of his men. After twenty-two
months a prisoner in Germany, owing to ill-health he was transferred
to Switzerland, and not making sufficient progress towards health,
he was later repatriated after twelve months in Switzerland, and
returned to Canada.
Lieut. Alexander Douglas Kirkpatrick was an officer in the
Governor-General's Body Guard at the outbreak of war. Finding
that Cavalry would not be taken, he transferred to Queen’s Own Rifles
and was chosen as Lieutenant in the Expeditionary Force, and left
with the 3rd Battalion for Valcartier. He trained with the battalion
at Valcartier and Salisbury Plains; accompanied the battalion to
France and was lieutenant of “C” Company, which was part of
Major Kirkpatrick’s command, and was ordered to occupy a position
on the left of St. Julien in the second battle of Ypres and was killed
while leading his platoon against the enemy, April 23, 1915.
Pte. C. E. Thomas, who is in charge of the circulation of this
volume, was at Lieut. Kirkpatrick’s side when he fell.
Capt. Gerald B. Muntz joined the Queen’s Own Rifles as a private,
and was appointed Lieutenant soon after. At the outbreak of war
he was appointed in command of “B” Company of the 3rd Battalion,
and accompanied the battalion to Valcartier; trained with the bat-
talion at Valcartier and Salisbury Plains; accompanied the battalion
to France in command of “B” Coy.; was wounded in the second
battle of Ypres while reconnoitring to ascertain whether it would be
feasible for his company to occupy a certain position. He was re-
moved to a hospital in Boulogne, and died in forty-eight hours after
admission to the hospital.
The 4th Battalion, known as the “Fighting Fourth,” Lt.-Col.
A. P. Birchall, commander, has rendered distinguished service. As
it went originally to the front it was composed of detachments from
the 1 2th York Rangers, 36th Peel Regiment, 38th Dufferin Rifles
(Brantford), 19th Lincoln Regiment and also representations from
Haldimand and Bruce counties. The “Fighting Fourth” has taken
part in many of the war’s big engagements including St. Julien,
Festubert, Kemmel Hill, Givenchy, 3rd Battle of Ypres, Vimy Ridge,
and Passchendaele. It was at St. Julien that the 4th Battalion played
an especially gallant part. Situated on the left flank of the brigade
it had to advance through an avalanche of shells and machine-gun
fire, but due to the undaunted spirit of the members and the fearless
leadership of Col. Birchall, pressed on to the objective point. Col.
Birchall fell mortally wounded at the head of his battalion.
Princess Patricias Leave Toronto
A large contribution of men has been made by Toronto to the
famous Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry. The first
company of P.P.C.L.I. men left Toronto in the early fall of the year
1914. Since then, several hundred more men have gone from Toronto
to reinforce the P.P.C.L.I., and owing to the great distinction achieved
by the regiment several of the drafts have been made up to a large
extent by students from the University of Toronto.
19th Battalion, Lt.-Col. John I. McLaren, commander, was the
first infantry regiment of the Second Canadian Contingent contri-
buted to by Toronto men. The 19th Battalion was formed in the
autumn of 1914. It was made up of about two-thirds Toronto men and
over 400 men from the City of Hamilton. After training at Exhibition
Camp during the winter and spring months, the 19th left for overseas
in May, 1915.
35th Battalion, Lt.-Col. F. C. McCordick, commander, was
organized in Toronto in the early spring of 1915. It was made up of
recruits from the Royal Grenadiers, Queen’s Own Rifles, 48th High-
landers, 1 2th York Rangers, and the 109th Regiment. The 35th
Battalion trained at Niagara Camp during the summer of 1915, and
went overseas from that point in drafts.
58th Battalion, Lt.-Col. H. A. Genet, commander, which was
recruited in the summer of 1915, contained a good representation of
Toronto City men. The battalion spent the summer and fall at
Niagara Camp. It took part in the trek of troops from Niagara to
Toronto, and after a few weeks at Exhibition Camp, left for the east
in the early winter.
74th Battalion, Lt.-Col. R. C. Windeyer, commander, was organ-
ized during the’ summer of 1915, its membership being composed equal-
ly of men contributed by the 2nd Queen’s Own Rifles, loth Royal
Grenadiers, 36th Peel Regiment and the 48th Highlanders. The
battalion was made up almostly entirely of Toronto City men. After
being recruited in quick time, the 74th went from Toronto to Niagara
Camp, where its 1,200 men put in several months of hard training.
During the winter of 1915-1916, the battalion was quartered at
Exhibition Camp, Toronto. It left for overseas in the late spring
75TH Mississauga Battalion
75th Mississauga Battalion, Lt.-Col. S. G. Beckett, commander,
was recruited in the late summer of 1915, the 9th Mississauga cavalry
Lieut. -Col. S. G. Beckett
regiment being the parent unit. Col. Beckett, its commander, was
killed in action while gallantly leading his men during one of the
Canadian advances on the western battlefront. The chaplain of the
75th, Major Rev. W. L. Baynes-Reed, rector of St. John’s, Norway,
Anglican Church, is now on active duty with the troops on the firing
8 1 st Battalion
8 i st Battalion, Lt.-Col. B. H. Belson, commander, was organized
in the early fall, 1915, three of the companies being composed of
Toronto men and one of men recruited in St. Catharines. Its com-
mander was an officer in the 1st Canadian Contingent and was wounded
while serving with the famous “Fighting Fourth” Battalion, at
83RD Queen’s Own
83rd Queen’s Own Battalion, Lt.-Col. Reginald G. Pellatt, comman-
der, was recruited mainly through the efforts of the Queen’s Own
Lieut. -Col. Reginald G. Pellatt
Rifles Regiment in the summer of 1915. Only a few weeks were
needed to recruit it. The 83rd trained during the late summer and
early fall months at Niagara Camp, and in the winter of 1915-1916,
in Toronto. Its winter quarters were the old General Hospital building
on Gerrard Street East. The battalion left for overseas in the early
summer of 1916, entraining at the Union Station.
84th Battalion, Lt.-Col. W. T. Stewart, . commander, was raised
by the 109th Regiment, Toronto, early in 1915, and. went under canvas
at Niagara Camp for the summer and fall. During the winter the
battalion was divided in half, the headquarters staff and two com-
panies of the unit being quartered at Brantford and the other two
companies at Oshawa. Prior to going east in the spring of 1916,
the battalion was remobilized for a few weeks at Exhibition Park
92nd Highland Battalion, Lt.-Col. George Chisholm, commander,
was another of the Toronto C.E.F. infantry regiments recruited in
quick time in the late summer of 1915, the 48th Highlanders being the
parent unit. The 92nd put in a brief training period at Niagara and
then returned to Toronto, going into quarters at the old General
Hospital building, until the spring of 1916, when it left for overseas.
The departure of the 92nd Highlanders from Toronto was one of the
city’s outstanding war-time events. One of the estimates placed the
number of Torontonians who witnessed the 92nd’s departure at
twenty-five thousand. The send-off to the 92nd, which took place at
Riverdale Station, will be always remembered as an historic occasion.
95th Battalion, Lt.-Col. R. K. Barker, commander, was also
organized in the fall of 1915, and also had a short training under canvas
at Niagara. It spent the winter and spring training seasons in the
Process Building at Exhibition Camp, and went overseas in the late
spring of 1916. The 95th left Toronto on a Sunday afternoon, up-
wards of 10,000 people taking part in the send-off.
97th Battalion, Lt.-Col. F. Jolly, commander, better known as the
97th American Legion, was organized early in January, 1916. To
be eligible for membership in the 97th, recruits had to be either born
in the United States or be the sons of United States citizens. The
unit was recruited to a total strength of about 1,200 before it left
for England, in May, practically all of this battalion’s officers being
men who had seen service as officers in the army or the navy of the
United States. A special feature of the 97th was a trumpet band,
this taking the place of the usual bugle band. The 97th’s men partici-
pated in the capture of Vimy Ridge, where they suffered heavy
123RD Royal Grenadiers
123rd Royal Grendiers Battalion, Lt.-Col. H. B. Kingsmill, com-
mander, was recruited during the latter two weeks of December, 1915.
Prospective recruits were urged to “offer themselves as a Christmas
present to their country.” The unit had winter quarters in the
Givens and Crawford Public School buildings. The 123rd left for
overseas in the early summer of 1916.
124TH “Pals” Battalion
124th “Pals” Battalion, Lt.-Col. Vaux Chadwick, commander,
was also recruited up to complete strength in a two weeks’ whirlwind
campaign. It only took from the day after Christmas, 1915, until
the end of the first week in January, 1916, to secure one thousand men
for this popular unit. The 124th put in its Canadian training at
Toronto, Camp Niagara and Camp Borden. The unit left for over-
seas in August, 1916, and on reaching France became a “pioneer”
126th Peel and West Toronto
126th Peel and West Toronto Battalion, Lt.-Col. F. J. Hamilton,
commander, was organized through the efforts of the 36th Peel
Regiment and contained a good proportion of Toronto City men.
It trained at Toronto, Niagara and Camp Borden prior to going
127TH York and North Toronto
127th York and North Toronto Battalion, Lt.-Col. F. F. Clarke,
commander, contained several hundred men recruited in the City
of Toronto. The unit was familiarly known as “Clarke’s Foot
Horse,” owing to the prowess it displayed in making long route
marches without fatigue. The 127th trained at North Toronto and
at Camp Borden, leaving the latter place for overseas early in August,
1916. On reaching France the battalion was turned into a railway
134th Highlander Battalion, Lt.-Col. Duncan Donald, commander,
was recruited in quick time in the spring of 1916. Its commander,
at that time also officer commanding the popular 48th Kiltie Regi-
ment, met with little difficulty in rallying recruits for the overseas
unit. The 134th was the third overseas battalion of Highlanders to
be raised by the City of Toronto. After training at Exhibition
Camp, the 134th went to Camp Borden, where it put in about six
weeks of strenuous outdoor work and then left for overseas. Its
members were used to reinforce the Highland units at the front that
went from Canada with the First Contingent. The 134th band was
chosen for Dominion Day service 1917 in Westminster Abbey.
i66th Queen’s Own
1 66th Queen’s Own Battalion, Lt.-Col. R. C. Levesconte, comman-
der, was another of the overseas units organized through the Queen’s
Own Rifles regiment. The 166th was recruited during the spring
and early summer of 1916. The unit, after mobilization, spent the
first two months of its training at Exhibition Park. It was one of
the first battalions from Toronto to go under canvas at Camp Borden.
The 1 66th left Camp Borden for the east during the early fall of 1916.
169th Battalion, Lt.-Col. Jesse G. Wright, commander, was the
second overseas unit raised entirely through the work of the 109th
Regiment of Toronto. The 169th was recruited in a little over two
weeks during a whirlwind campaign, in the early spring of 1916.
Officers representing the 169th addressed meetings of factory employees
and on the first Sunday of the campaign spoke for volunteers for over-
seas infantry service from the pulpits of a great many of the city
churches. After spending an entire summer in training at Niagara
Camp the battalion left from that point for the east in the early fall
170 Mississauga Battalion, Lt.-Col. L. G. Reed, commander, was
the third overseas regiment raised with the backing of the 9th Mis-
sissauga cavalry regiment, the other two being the 75th and the
124th. Organization of the 170th took place during the spring of
1916. A feature of the 170th Battalion’s recruiting campaign was the
allotting of men from the same profession or trade into special sections
or platoons and the use of this unique plan as a magnet to get vol-
unteers to sign up. The 170th had several months of outdoor camp
life at Borden and in the autumn of 1916 went from there overseas.
Sportsman’s Battalion, i8oth
180th Sportsman’s Battalion, Lt.-Col. Richard H. Greer, com-
mander, was one of the best known overseas regiments raised by the
Lieut.-Col. R. H. Greer
City of Toronto, including as it did many Toronto athletes not only
of country-wide reputation but of world-wide note. These included
such athletic stars as Lieut. “Bob” Dibble, contestant for the “Dia-
mond Sculls” at Henley, England, and international sculling champion
of America. Every branch of sporting activity supplied of its best
to this battalion, with the result that the unit’s representatives
carried off many athletic trophies at the field games held in Canada,
including the military championship at the Canadian National Ex-
hibition, Toronto, and also when the battalion competed at field
days held in England and France. The 180th put in nearly four
months of training at Camp Borden and went overseas in October
of 1916. Capt. Tom Flanagan was prominently identified with the
raising of the Sportsman’s Battalion.
Lt.-Col. Greer is now at Ottawa directing the work of the Military
Service Council’s legal department which has to do with the ap-
prehension of Military Service Act defaulters.
Capt. Flanagan is now Chief of Dominion Police for the great-
er part of Ontario, including New Ontario, his special work being
the organizing and putting into effect of a police campaign for the
arrest of men who try to avoid military service under the draft act.
Lieut. “Bob” Dibble, who was seriously wounded while on active
service on the western battle-front, is assistant to Capt. Flanagan
in his Dominion Police work in Ontario.
198TH “Buffs” Battalion
198th Canadian-Buffs Battalion, Lt.-Col. John A. Cooper, com-
mander, started recruiting in the late spring of 1916 and was up to a
total of about 1,200 by the time it left Toronto at the end of June,
to go under canvas at Camp Borden. By special permission of the
Imperial authorities, the 198th was affiliated with the famous “Buffs”
regiment of Kent county, England, and allowed to wear the hand-
some gold dragon crest of that regiment as the badge on the uniforms
of its members. The Canadian Buffs trained at Exhibition Camp,
Toronto, and at Borden. The unit went to England on February
201 st Battalion
201 st Battalion, Lt.-Col. E. W. Hagarty, commander, better
known as the Toronto Light Infantry, was recruited in the spring
of 1916, most of its members being high school cadets. The members
of the Toronto Light Infantry Battalion made a name for themselves
both in military affairs and in athletics. At Camp Borden the 201st
carried off the championship at one of the camp athletic field days.
Owing to the fact of the battalion’s total strength being several
hundred men below the required establishment of 1,200, it lost its
identity, an arrangement being made in the fall of 1916 by which
one-half of its members were alloted to the 198th Buffs Battalion and
one-half to the 170th Battalion.
Beavers Battalion, 204TH
204th Beavers Battalion, Lt.-Col. W. H. Price, commander, which
started its recruiting early in the spring of 1916, was sometimes re-
ferred to as the “Parkdale” Battalion, owing to the large number of
its members gained from that section of the city, also because its
chief officer is a member of the Ontario Legislature, representing the
west end. As a matter of fact every part of Toronto furnished a large
quota of men for the Beavers Battalion, due to the enlistment cam*
Lieut.-Coe. W. H. Price, M.P.P.
paign of the unit having been carried out on a city ward basis. The
204th spent a few weeks’ preliminary training at Exhibition Park,
went north to Camp Borden for four months and then returned to
Exhibition Park, where several more months were spent in drill,
the unit leaving Toronto for England in the spring of 1917.
2o8th “Irish” Battalion
208th Canadian-Irish Battalion, Lt.-Col. T. Herbert Lennox,
M.P.P., commander, held the first rally of its recruiting campaign on
March 17th, 1916, St. Patrick’s Day. The 208th was affiliated with
the noth Irish Regiment, which militia unit aided the overseas
battalion in its sweep for recruits and also supplied a number of
officers for overseas service with it. The 208th trained at Exhibition
Camp for a short time, at Camp Borden during the summer and fall
of 1916, and then at Toronto until the spring of 1917 when it left for
LiEut.-Col. T. H. Lennox, M.P.P.
overseas. While in London, Eng., the 208th took part in the Lord
Mayor’s Procession. Controller Capt. “Joe” Thompson signed up
with this battalion.
213th Battalion, Lt.-Col. B. J. McCormack, commander, was the
second “American Legion” Battalion formed in eastern Canada with
Toronto as the headquarters and mobilization point. This unit
started organization work in the early spring of 1916 and 'signed on
several hundred recruits by the early summer, gained not only from
all parts of the eastern United States, but also in considerable numbers
from the United States-born residents of Toronto. The 213th trained
at Exhibition Camp, at Borden and then during the early winter of
1916-17 at St. Catharines. Its members went overseas in drafts from
the latter city.
216th (Bantam) Battalion, Lt.-Col. F. L. Burton, commander,
was recruited during the late spring and early summer of 1916. At
first the battalion’s zone of recruiting campaign activities was limited
to the City of Toronto, but later by special permission of the Ottawa
authorities its scope of work was first extended to take in the whole
of Toronto Military District and then the major part of the Province
of Ontario. Upwards of a thousand men were recruited for the unit
and then it went to Camp Borden, where it stayed until late October.
Coming back to Toronto, the 216th Battalion was in training until
the spring of 1917 when it left for overseas duty. The 2i6th’s second
in command was Major Alex. Lewis, Secretary of the Toronto Harbor
Commission. Major Lewis was wounded and “gassed.” He was
invalided back to Canada and is now second in command of the 2nd
Battalion, 2nd Central Ontario Regiment.
22oth York Battalion
220th York Battalion, Lt.-Col. B. H. Brown, commander, which
started to organize during the summer of 1916, contained many
recruits from the northern part of Toronto. The battalion went
overseas early in the next year.
234th Battalion, known as the Peel County Battalion, had its
headquarters in West Toronto and probably contained as many
Toronto men as from the county. It was commanded by Lt.-Col.
Wellington Wallace. The battalion started its recruiting campaign in
the summer of 1916 and went overseas in the late spring of 1917.
The unit trained at West Toronto and Exhibition Camp.
255™ Queen’s Own
255th Queen’s Own Battalion, Lt.-Col. George C. Royce, com-
mander, Gen. -Manager and Secretary of the Toronto Suburban
Railway Company, commenced its recruiting in the late fall of 1916.
The second in command was Lt.-Col. S. W. Band, who gave up the
command of the Q.O.R. to go overseas as a major in the 255th.
Its campaign for members was featured by the “Give-us-his-name”
scheme, citizens in general being urged to contribute names of men
considered eligible for army service, to be followed up by the unit’s
recruiting sergeants. Thousands of names were received and the
system yielded many recruits. The 255th went east in May of 1917.
256th Railway Construction Battalion, Lt.-Col. Walter McConnell,
commander, had headquarters in Toronto and obtained several
hundred of its recruits from Toronto and vicinity.
257th Railway Construction Battalion, Lt.-Col. H. T. Martin,
commander, also secured several hundred of its men in Toronto.
Both these railway units commenced recruiting in January of
1917. Within about two months they had signed on enough men to
bring them up to strength and then left immediately for France.
Eaton Motor Machine Gun Corps
Sir John Eaton, Kt.
The Eaton Motor Machine Gun Corps, Major R. J. Morrison
(now in charge of Toronto Jail Farm), commander, was formed in
Toronto during the winter of 1914-15. It was featured by a number
of very large armored cars, donated by Sir John Eaton, and built by
the Russell Motor Car Company. The armored cars were fort-like
in construction, and in design something similar to the famous British
“tanks.” The Eaton Motor Machine Gun Corps trained at both
Exhibition and Niagara Camps before going overseas in the summer
of 1915. Its membership included a great many university men,
men highly skilled as motor-mechanics, also some experts in wireless
telegraphy work. Present commander, Capt. R. D. Harkness.
Brig.~Gen. Sir Henry M. Peeeatt, M.C.V.O.,
Commander Queen’s Own Rifles
The 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles Regiment, organized in the
fall of 1914, under command of Lt.-Col. Vaux Chadwick, was mainly
composed of members of the Governor-General’s Body Guard and the
9th Mississauga Horse, cavalry regiments of Toronto. Mobilization
of the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles took place at Exhibition Camp,
where the unit was in training until the late spring of 1915, when it
went to Niagara Camp. In the early summer, the 4th C.M.R.,
which has the distinction of being the only complete cavalry regiment
formed in Toronto for overseas service in the great war (the other
horsemen going as squadrons or drafts), was transferred to Valcartier,
Que., from where after a brief period it left for overseas. Col. Chad-
wick, business partner in Toronto of Lt.-Col. S. G. Beckett who was
killed in action while leading his command, the 75th Battalion, did
not go overseas with the 4th C.M.R., but later went to the front in
command of the 124th “Pals” Battalion of Toronto.
On the western front in France and Belgium, the 4th Canadian
Mounted Rifles has served as an infantry unit and taken part in many
of the fiercest battles, including those at Sanctuary Wood, the Somme,
Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele. Its commanders have included
Lt.-Col. S. F.i Smith, Lt.-Col. J. F. H. Ussher, Lt.-Col. H. D. Lockhart
Gordon, and 'Lt.-Col. Wm. Patterson.
W HEN the fact became known to the Ottawa authorities that
Canada would have to be represented at the Front by several
divisions, a Government recruiting bureau was established in
Toronto, which was first officially called the Toronto Recruiting
Depot. This was organized by Major (now Lt.-Col.) LeGrand Reed,
who was succeeded by Major R. J. Christie, Q.O.R.
Major Christie placed to one side, in large measure, his important
business interests as head of the Christie, Brown & Co., Limited, and
other important financial responsibilities, to devote himself to the
duties as commander of what is now the Toronto Mobilization Centre.
Under Col. Reed and Major Christie over 60,000 men have been given
military medical examination in the Toronto Armouries.
Major Christie has two sons on active service. Gunner W. L.
Christie went overseas as a Lieutenant in the 35th Battalion and is
now in France with the Divisional Ammunition Column.
I. Huntley Christie is now overseas serving as a Lieutenant in the
Royal Flying Corps.
Major R. J. Christie:
The Staff Officers, who under direction of Major-General Logie
direct the military affairs of Toronto Military District, are: —
General Staff Officer — Col. H. C. Bickford.
General Staff Officer, 2nd — Lt.-Col. W. R. Lang.
Assistant Adjutant-General (in charge of administration) — Lt.-Col.
Deputy Assistant-Adjutant and Quartermaster-General — Major
F. P. Healey (86th Battalion).
D.A.A. and Q.M.G. 2. — Lt.-Col. G. F. Morrison, D.S.O. (1 8th
Orderly Officer — Lieut. C. T. Clark (4th C.M.R.).
Camp Engineer — Major R. B. McGiffin.
Assistant Camp Engineer — Capt. E. H. Yeigh.
Assistant Director of Supplies and Transportation — Col. G. A.
Assistant Director of Medical Services — Lt.-Col. E. S. Ryerson,
late of No. 4 General Hospital, C.E.F.
Deputy A.D.M.S. — (1) Sanitation — Lt.-Col. J. W. S. McCullough,
Provincial Health Officer.
Deputy A.D.M.S. — (2) Sanitation — Major J. C. Fitzgerald.
Officer in Charge of Dental Services for Toronto Military District —
Lt.-Col. W. G. Thompson.
Toronto District Paymaster — Lt.-Col. J. R. Forbes, C.A.P.C.
Senior Ordnance Officer — Lt.-Col. A. de L. Panet, C.O.C.
Chief Veterinary Officer — Major F. S. Macdonald, C.A.V.C.
Assistant Judge Advocate General — Lt.-Col. J. A. Macdonald.
District Intelligence Officer — Capt. A. F. Coventry, Corps of
Guides (late 55th Battalion).
Senior Chaplain Toronto Military District — Lt.-Col. Geo. H.
Officer in Charge of Records and Statistics — Capt. J. F. R. Wilkes
(late Royal Field Artillery).
District Signalling Officer — Major S. de W. Dunn.
Senior Musketry Officer — Lt.-Col. G. V. Massey, C.O.T.C.
Administration Staff Branch — Lt.-Col. R. C. Windeyer (late 74th
District Provost-Marshal — Major E. F. Osier
Assistant Provost-Marshal — Major James Widgery (late 75th
Officer Clerk — Capt. J. C. Armstrong, C.M.S.C.
School of Infantry — Lt.-Col. H. D. LePan, commandant.
ROYAL CANADIAN DRAGOONS
Toronto Regular Army Unit from Stanley Barracks
A MOST enviable war-service record is that of the Royal Canadian
Dragoons, the Toronto regular army unit which has head-
quarters at Stanley Barracks, known for a hundred years by
Toronto and “Muddy York” citizens as “the Old Fort.” Since the
present war started, this noted cavalry regiment has sent overseas
in excess of a thousand of its members, all highly trained and all up
to the Royal Canadian Dragoons physical standard. Major E. A.
Hethrington is the officer commanding the Royal Canadian Dragoons
at Stanley Barracks.
Among the prominent Toronto officers who were identified with
the Royal Canadian Dragoons and now serving overseas are Lt.-Col.
C. M. Nelles, C.M.G., Major C. V. Van Straubenzee, and Major
A. V. S. Nordheimer.
ROYAL FLYING CORPS
Toronto is One of the Greatest Aviation Instructional
Centres of the British Empire
W ITHOUT a doubt the work carried on by the Imperial Royal
Flying Corps in the Toronto Military District is on a scale
rivalling that of any aviation centre in the whole British
Empire. Under the direction of the Royal Flying Corps headquarters
in Toronto City, five great aviation camps are operated: at Borden,
Leaside, Armour Heights, Long Branch and Deseronto. Two of
these, Leaside Camp and Armour Heights Camp, are in the limits of
Greater Toronto itself, at the north side of the city. Officers of the
Royal Flying Corps, who have visited Toronto as representatives of
the British Army authorities, have been unstinted in their praise of
the equipment and arrangements of the Toronto aviation grounds.
In fact, they declared without hesitation that there was nothing in the
British Isles to surpass them.
Toronto is the aviation training centre for the whole Dominion
of Canada, and during the summer of 1917 to a large extent also for
the North American Continent, inasmuch as hundreds of members
of the United States Army Flying Corps were sent to Toronto to be
trained in aviation work.
General Hoare at the Head
Lt.-Col. C. G. Hoare of the Imperial Royal Flying Corps and a
staff of officers were sent to Canada by the British War Office to
organize a Canadian Flying Corps Division, with headquarters estab-
lished in Toronto. In consequence of the rapid growth of the Can-
adian aviation work it was recognized by the Imperial authorities
promoting Col. Hoare to the rank of General.
Spent Ten Million
Ten million dollars has been expended by the British Government
for the establishment of the aviation plants and training grounds in
Canada, practically all being within the Toronto District Royal
Flying Corps area. Five great aviation training camps and one
very large airplane factory were in full operation in Toronto District
by the end of 1917, and within a few weeks the sixth training camp
will be completed. It is at Beamsville.
GREAT WAR VETERANS’ ASSOCIATION
Started in Flanders
O NE of the City of Toronto’s most rapidly growing organizations
is the Great War Veterans’ Association. It has 3,400 Toronto
members. Three thousand of them were enrolled during the
year 1917. To go back to the beginnings of the Great War Veterans’
Association it is necessary to go to Flanders, for it was on the Canadian
fighting line in Belgium that the idea of forming such an association
was first thought of. It was after one of the biggest battles on the
Canadian front at St. Eloi, in which some of the Ontario battalions
suffered exceptionally heavy losses, that the idea was broached of
forming an organization of war-veterans, for “comradeship” of those
who had survived the battle of that day. Of course, since that time
the association has added to its objects those of mutual assistance, and
of being a club to stand strongly behind the dependents of the brave
men who “Went West” and see that they were aided in every possible
First Local Meeting
When first organized in Toronto the war-veterans’ club was named
the Returned Soldiers’ Association. It was established at a meeting
of returned soldiers held in St. John’s Church, Portland Street, on
May 22, 1916. Provisional officers were appointed as follows: —
President, Regt. Sergt.-Major W. Rowe Whitton, W.O., 20th Bat-
talion; Treasurer, Ralph Humphries, 15th Battalion. The organ-
ization was chartered as the Great War Veterans’ Association during
January, 1917. By a re-arrangement recently adopted the Toronto
and all the branches of the association in the county have been
merged into the York County Great War Veterans’ Association,
officered as follows: — Pres., Lt.-Col. E. B. Hardy, D.S.O.; Vice-
Pres., H. F. Meredith; Treas., Major G. A. Sampson; Secretary,
J. C. O’Connor.
Executive — H. W. Parson, James Tweedle, Lt.-Col. C. G. Williams,
Capt. H. Marani, Major Carson McCormick, Capt. McCallum, M.C.,
and Comrades Walker, Perkins, Cameron and Graham. For many
months the secretaryship of the Toronto branch of the association was
held by Sergt. Wm. Turley, a returned soldier, whose energy and
executive ability has contributed much towards the success of the
G.W.V.A. He is now secretary of the Ontario Great War Veterans’
Association. Two of his brothers were killed in action on the western
Five Toronto Branches
There are five Toronto branches of the G.W.V.A. They are: —
A Company (Riverdale) — Pres., Major G. A. Sampson; B Companv
(Central) — Pres., James Tweedle; C Company (West Toronto) —
Pres., Capt. H. Marani; D Company (Parkdale) — Pres., J. Cameron;
Earlscourt Company — Pres., T. Campbell.
SPORTSMAN’S PATRIOTIC ASSOCIATION
Formed Sportsman’s Battalion
T HE Sportsman’s Patriotic Association was founded in the month
of August, 1916, with R. H. Greer, President; T. C. Flanagan,
Vice-President; Fred Sutherland, assisted by Miss Nora Leigh,
as Secretary, for the purpose of buying athletic goods for the soldiers’
training camps for overseas. The idea met with such instant favor,
and such sums of money were contributed by the public, that Messrs.
George Wright, T. Herbert Lennox, and James Pearson were appointed
a Board of Trustees to handle the funds, and arrangements were made
to establish branches throughout Ontario in such places as Hamilton,
London, Ottawa, Brockville, Windsor, and Calgary for the West.
Each organization was carried as a subsidiary to the Toronto organ-
ization and given the right to use the name, and a button was issued
to be used as a symbol of membership throughout Canada. In all the
sum of $30,000 was handled by the Toronto organization in addition
to monies that were received by the local organizations throughout
the country, and the necessity for supplying overseas units with goods
as well as entertaining the men of the various camps, was entered on
along broad lines and with uniform success. Much assistance was
given to the military authorities in recruiting, largely through the
theatres on Sundays, which were used through the generosity of the
theatrical profession both as a financial and enlisting agency to aid
recruiting and finance the necessities of the soldiers.
Formed i8oth Battalion
The Toronto organization was asked to organize the 180th Overseas
Battalion, which was done and given the name of the Sportsman’s
Battalion, to which many famous athletes were attached, both as
officers and non-commissioned officers and men, and after a short
training of eight months, arrived in England, where it was recognized
as one of the best of our Canadian battalions and was subsequently
broken up for drafts as reinforcements for the Front.
On the departure of Lieut. -Col. R. H. Greer and Capt. T. C.
Flanagan overseas with the battalion in 1916, the duties of the organ-
ization were taken over by the Sportsman’s Patriotic Association,
which was incorporated under the original name, and many of the well-
known newspaper men of Toronto are interested in it. Mr. Patrick
J. Mulqueen is president, and the executive is composed of such
men as Frank Nelson, of the “Globe;” W. J. Hewitt, of the “Star;”
Mr. J. Shea, of Shea’s Theatre, and James Norris.
The “Christmas Tree” entertainments given each year in Toronto
for the wives, mothers, and children of the “soldiers overseas,” under
the auspices of the Sportsman’s Patriotic Association, constitute a form
of war-time cheer worthy of much praise. The events are held in
Massey Hall. During the Christmas holiday season just past about
30,000 gifts from “Santa Claus” were placed in the hands of the
children of the fighting men overseas. The gifts cost nearly $7,000.
THREE TORONTO V.C.’S
T HREE Torontonians have won the V.C. The first Victoria
Cross was won by Sergt. Frederick Hobson. This hero did not
survive the wounds received at the time he performed the
valorous deed for which he gained the coveted award.
The second was won by Corp. Colin Barron, 23-yeat-old teamster,
who went overseas, after only two months’ training, in 1915. He
came from Banffshire, Scotland, and was only in Toronto three years
when he enlisted with Lt.-Col. McCordick’s Battalion. He was
absolutely without any military experience, and after two months’
training at the Exhibition Camp, went overseas in June, 1915. For
two years he has been constantly on the firing-line and has escaped
injury. His father, Joseph Barron, lives in Scotland.
Corp. Colin Barron, single-handed, rushed enemy guns, killed
four of the crews and captured the others, and then turned the
captured guns on the retiring enemy, causing severe casualties.
Lance-Sergt. S. Robinson, of the Canadian Infantry, also won this
Organized August, 1914. More than $6, 500,000 Collected in
Three Whirlwind Campaigns. How Money Was Disbursed.
1918 Campaign Brought $3,133,348.39
Hon. Sir William Mulock, K.C.M.G.,
President Toronto and York Patriotic Fund.
Organized at City Hall
A FEW days after the declaration of the war, August 4, 1914,
at the instance of several public-spirited citizens, a meeting was
held at the City Hall Council Chamber, to discuss ways and
means of augmenting the financial resources of families of soldiers
who were to go on active service. This meeting was held on August
14, and the Toronto and York County Patriotic Fund Association was
founded. Sir William Mulock was made the president and an ex-
ecutive and organization committee was formed.
It was decided at a meeting held at the City Hall, August 20, 1914,
to hold a Mass Meeting at Massey Hall and inaugurate a campaign to
solicit funds from the public during a four-day campaign. The aim
was to raise one million dollars. The meeting was held the following
Monday after the 20th, and the campaign more than came up to the
expectations of the organizers.
Raise Over One Million
The amount collected from that campaign amounted to $1,005,-
Offices were opened at 30 King West, and by the end of December,
1914, 900 families had been cared for and $21,567 had been spent on
Up until Oct., 1915, 5,427 families had been cared for and $88,817.08
had been expended.
At the end of Dec., 1916, 9,621 families had been cared for and
Up until the end of 1917, 8,306 families had been cared for and
$142,336.10 expended during the month of Dec., 1917.
The 1916 campaign brought $2,363,356.
The 1917 campaign brought $3,195,780.98.
The amount of moneys expended in the carrying on of the work
was only $79,505.96 up until the end of December, 1916.
The total number of dependents, women and children, in receipt
of aid from the funds during December, 1917, 22,859, as against
26,753, December, 1916, and about 14,000 in the month of October,
H. H. Williams,
Chairman Patriotic Fund Executive — 1917
Patron, His Excellency the Duke of Devonshire.
Hon. Pres., Sir John S. Hendrie, K.C.M.G.
Hon. Pres., Hon. Sir William Hearst, K.C., LL.D.
President, Sir William Mulock, K.C.M.G.
Hon. Treasurer, E. R. Wood.
Hon. Solicitor and Secretary, E. T. Malone, K C.
Asst. Treasurer, A,, S. Muirhead.
Asst. Secretary, C. D. Gower.
Business Manager, J. A. McElroy.
Offices: Corner Yonge and Wellington, and Room 914, C.P.R.
Building (Subscription Dept.). Phone Main 1986-7-8.
A large measure of the great results attained through the cam-
paigns is due to the sterling activities of Col. W. S. Dinnick, the
organizer, and H. H. Williams, chairman of the 1917 executive, and
team captains and workers.
1918 Campaign, $3,133,348.39*
The result by teams and special subscriptions in the 1918 campaign,
Jan. 22, 23, 24, 25, is as follows: —
C. Marriott $ 245,442.00
Rotary Club 324,601 .00
H. B. Wills 226,534.07
T. Findley 363,194.68
Thos. Roden 290,200.50
Justice Ferguson 67,762.76
Women’s Committee 205,613.38
York County 300,000.00
Civic Employees 36,000.00
Civil Servants 12,000.00
University of Toronto 1 2,000 . 00
T. Eaton Co 50,000 . 00
CANADIAN RED CROSS- TORONTO BRANCH
More than $ 3 , 000, 000 Raised in Cash and Material
T HE Toronto Branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society was
organized 2nd September, 1914.
The value of materials contributed is as follows: —
I9 J 4 $ 18,330.98
19 16 263, 741.65
#49 2 .735-97
The amount of money received each year:—
Year ending Sept. 30th, 1915 $166,872.31
Year ending Sept. 30th, 1916 171,485.08
Year ending Sept. 30th, 1917 301,506.33
British Red Cross
In the fall of 1915, the British Red Cross sent in an appeal to all
cities of the British Empire for aid. Toronto made the following
contributions in 3 three-day whirlwind campaigns: — '
1915 toM 73
Total contributions to Red Cross were more than $3,000,000.
Lieut. -Col. Noel Marshall,
Chairman Canadian Red Cross
Executive, Canadian Red Cross
Chairman, Lt.-Col. Noel Marshall. Hon. Rec. Secty., B^ S. MacGinnis.
Hon. Secty., Mrs. (Canon) A. M. Plumptre.
Offices: Imperial Oil Bldg., cor. Church and King. Phone Main 3560.
Pres., Kenneth J. Dunstan.
Chairman and Hon. Treas., Senator Nicholls.
Vice-Pres., A. E. Ames and A. F. Rutter.
Hon. Treas., J. J. Gibson.
Hon. Secty., C. N. Candee.
Hon. Asst. Secty., F. A. Mulholland, C.R.C.
Offices: 92 King W. Mrs. R. Stearns Hicks in charge. Phone
A life membership in the C.R.C. costs $25.
The Canadian Red Cross receive a portion of the money collected
on the Patriotic Fund Campaign, and from the 1918 campaign they
Toronto Creates World’s Record for Number of
T ORONTO created a world’s record by subscribing $76,256,315.
The number of Torontonians subscribing being 126,390. This
announcement was made Monday, December 3, 1917, at
Massey Hall. The campaign lasted virtually two weeks, and
created a world’s record with respect to the number of subscribers.
Honorary Chairman — Sir Edmund Osier.
Chairman — J. W. Mitchell.
Vice-Chairman — H. R. Tudhope.
Secretary — G. A. Warburton.
Chairmen of Districts:
District “A” — W. N. Mcllwraith.
“ “B” — Major O. Heron.
“ “ C Lt.-Col. F. H. Deacon.
“ “D” — John A. Tory.
“ “E”— H. H. Williams.
Publicity Committee — W. P. Gundy, Chairman.
Industrial Groups Committee — CoL.W. K. McNaught, Chairman.
Committee — T. Bradshaw, W. C. Noxon, F. G. Osier, H. M. Pea-
cock, D. H. Pettes, W. E. Rundle, Lieut. A. F. White, E. G. Willis,
G. H. Wood.
WAR WORK OF Y.M.C.A
Red Triangle a Welcome Sign.
F EW institutions have rendered the same amount of assistance
to the boys as the Y.M.C.A., and this work has not been
confined to the trenches. Directly a young man enlisted he
came under the influence of this organization, which followed him on
all his travels, and, finally on his return to Toronto, his first meal on
landing would invariably be obtained at the Central Y.M.C.A.
From the outset, the Y.M.C.A. took a prominent interest in the
boys who enlisted, and even those whose physical condition prevented
their enlistment were taken in hand, and by dint of much training
and exercise they were made fit and able to pass the examination.
At the various camps throughout the city, the Y.M.C.A. was
always represented; in fact, the Y.M.C.A. war worker is ubiquitous.
He took charge of the canteens, and supplied everything for the well-
being and interest of the soldiers.
House for Soldiers.
At the city hospitals a special selection of secretaries was made
for the express purpose of brightening the lives of the young fellows
who have fallen by the wayside through over-exertion in training,
and other causes not brought on by themselves.
For those who come to Toronto on leave, or visit the city en route
for some other encampment, the Y.M.C.A. placed the Red Triangle
Club, corner Queen and Victoria Streets, at the disposal of the boys.
A great deal of this organization was of a voluntary character,
the supervision being, of course, under men whose life training has
made them specially adapted for the work. The business men of
the city have contributed a great deal of time and money to this work.
A staff of approximately 20 men at the Exhibition Camp handle the
3,000 and more men there. The Red Triangle Club, with a staff of
15 men, take care of 3,000 men a week, for beds and meals, to say
nothing of the thousands constantly making use of the club for reading,
writing, billiards and general recreation purposes.
One secretary is stationed at the Toronto Base Hospital, and he
has some 725 men to look after. At the Orthopedic Hospital, one
secretary looks after 700 men.
The committee which looks after this work consists of Messrs.
L. F. Moneypenny, Chairman; T. F. Brown, W. H. Scott, John
Westren, Jr., Geo. Ross, P. J. Lee, Secretary.
George A. Warburton is the General Secretary, with offices at
the Central Y.M.C.A., 34 to 36 College Street. Telephone N. 8400.
TORONTO WOMEN’S NOBLE WORK
Thousands of Mothers, Wives, Sisters and Sweethearts
do Their “Bit”
Lady Hendrie Gave Generous and General Support
L ADY HENDRIE, wife of the Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario,
has been associated with the War Work of Toronto since its
^ very inception. She has attended numberless meetings, by
which she gave encouragement and assistance to many patriotic
projects, and has been an undoubted strength to the work of the women
of Toronto. She gave personal time and superintendence to the
Duchess of Connaught Prisoners’ of War Fund, which turned out so
successfully. She has also taken keen interest in the work of the
children in the schools, receiving their donations to various patriotic
campaigns, delighting teachers and children by her enthusiastic re-
cognition. Measuring up to the needs of the times the response of
Lady Hendrie to patriotic calls has been gracious and general.
WORK OF LADY HEARST
Sympathetic Assistance of Premier’s Wife
N ATURALLY sympathetic, Lady Hearst, the wife of Sir William
Hearst, the Premier of Ontario, has found many ways in
which to help in the various avenues by which Toronto’s
women have assisted the soldiers both overseas and at home. In
various campaigns she has given personal service and was Convener
of the S.O.S. Committee in the last British Red Cross Campaign.
She has also done her “bit” by knitting and sewing, and has ever
been at the call of meetings and gatherings where her presence might
lend support to the patriotic work of the times.
DEEDS THAT WILL LIVE
What Toronto Women Have Done
W OMEN’S War Work in Toronto began on the very day that
Great Britain declared war on Germany. On August 4th,
1914, the first meeting of women for war purposes took place
on the large verandah and grounds of “ Deancroft,” the home of Mrs.
A. E. Gooderham. A telegram, dated Aug. 3rd, from a Toronto girl,
Miss Mary Plummer, then in Victoria, B.C., had been received by the
Daughters of the Empire in Toronto. The telegram asked that the
organization throughout Canada get together and work for an Hospital
Ship. The meeting held at the home of the President of the Order
was the response to the request. Mrs. R. S. Wilson, Regent of the
Municipal Chapter, presided, and during the course of the meeting
Miss Plummer arrived, coming direct from the train.
The Women of Canada
On Aug. 6th a second meeting was held and organization was
completed for the work of the Hospital Ship, which it was decided
should be the offering of no special organization but that it should
come from the Women of Canada. The objective was $ 100,000 .
The result surpassed all expectations, amounting to $284,000. It was
later found that the Hospital Ship was not needed, and after consulta-
tion it was decided that $100,000 should be given to the British War
Office for the Canadian Women’s Ambulances, the remaining $184,000
to go for a group of buildings at the Hasler Naval Hospital, Ports-
mouth, England. In addition to collecting Toronto’s share of the
gift on “Flag Day,” all the executive work in connection with the
enterprise was done by the women of Toronto, with Mrs. A. E. Gooder-
ham as President, Miss Plummer, Secretary, and Mrs. John Bruce,
Treasurer. Miss Plummer, and Miss Joan Arnoldi, another Toronto
girl, went to England, where both were given commissions and have
since been overseas working in connection with the superintendence
of the Field Comforts’ Commission.
Toronto Women’s Patriotic League
The next big movement was that which resulted from a gathering
held in the City Hall on August 18th, to which all Toronto women,
and especially representatives of all societies, were invited. On
that morning the rain came down in torrents, but that did not prevent
a wonderfully large and enthusiastic turn-out. The object of the
meeting, broadly speaking, was to prepare for any service that women
could do. Many names were suggested, and after debate, the name
Toronto Women’s Patriotic League was decided upon, and Mrs.
Willoughby Cummings was elected President. Headquarters were
procured through the offer of a beautiful and commodious house at
559 Sherbourne Street, and various activities were carried on there
until headquarters were changed to their present address, 80 King
The activities carried on by the Patriotic League were colossal,
embracing comforts for soldiers, which meant the making and re-
ceiving of thousands of socks, pyjamas, handkerchiefs, mitts and other
articles; supplying clothes and other needs to the destitute of the city,
a class very numerous in the early days of the war; sending supplies
to the Belgians; giving and getting employment for women and girls,,
and assisting in any way that the emergency seemed to demand.
The officers of the “League,” in addition to the President, Mrs. Cum-
mings, were: Vice-Presidents, Mrs. H. D. Warren, Mrs. McClelland;
Secretary, Mrs. F. Featherstonhaugh; Treasurer, Mrs. Hamilton
Burns. The work became so heavy that it was thought advisable
to divide it in charge of Sub-Committees, which since then have been
working under various names. Their activities are given under their
WAR WORK OVERSEAS
Mrs. A. E. Gooderham’s Services
P ATRIOTISM of the women of Toronto has not stopped short
at the boundaries of our City. Some have followed our men
overseas and have done noble things to add to their comfort
and safeguard their interests. Among those who have done this is
Mrs. A. E. Gooderham, who spent many months in England, and while
there saw to the equipping and furnishing of the Daughters of
the Empire Hospital, near High Park, London. The funds for this
were given by Col. Gooderham, and the beautiful and generous furnish-
ing was all done under instructions from Mrs. Gooderham. The
institution is for officers and will accommodate twenty-five. The
house was secured for the duration of the war through the influence of
an English friend of Mrs. Gooderham, and placed under the auspices of
the Red Cross Department of the Daughters of the Empire. She
also interested herself largely in the Maple Leaf Club, which has two
I.O. D.E. Annexes for the entertainment of soldiers.
In addition to overseas work, Mrs. Gooderham, as President of the
National Chapter of the Daughters of the Empire for Canada, has
been interested more or less directly in all the vast activities of the
Order, the work of which goes through the head office in Toronto.
She is also on the Board or in some way connected with almost every
patriotic endeavor, and it was in her home, “Deancroft,” that the
initial meeting — that which launched the idea of the Hospital Ship —
was held. Recently her influence has gone through the Dominion
Mrs. A. E. Gooderham
for the purpose of inspiring the project of the I.O.D.E. Home for
Nurses in England. Mrs. Gooderham is undoubtedly among the
women of Toronto who have spent themselves unstintingly in patriotic
WORK FOR WAR VETERANS
Miss Church a Big Factor
O UTSTANDING is the work of Miss Church, sister of Mayor
Church, for the Great War Veterans, for whom she was in-
strumental in procuring a large and handsome home to be used
as Club quarters. Much preliminary work led to “Women’s Tribute
Night,” Nov. 30th, 1916, memorable for the enthusiastic scene in
Massey Hall, when the returned heroes were given their first general
recognition and the sum of $8,500 was either received or promised by
the audience of women. The quarters at 22 Carlton were rented and
the 26 rooms furnished at a cost of about $3,200. The total collected
Miss R. Church
is now about $2,800. The example of Toronto stimulated other
centres, and Hamilton, Brantford and Winnipeg followed in having
a “Tribute Night” to the returned soldiers and other work in their
WORK OF MRS. AMBROSE SMALL
One of Toronto’s Best Assets
% MONG the women who have worked along individual lines
r\ as well as taking part in practically all the big campaigns that
x have been launched since the war, is Mrs. Ambrose Small,
who was one of the first interested in the Citizens’ Recruiting League,
for which she procured meeting places such as theatres, also orchestras,
besides taking personal charge of all the monies collected at the Sunday
Mrs. Ambrose Small
meetings. On some Sundays no less than ten meetings were held at the
same time. She was also chairman of the Ways and Means Committee
which raised over $75,000 for overseas Battalions and recruited about
Italian Red Cross
The founding of the Italian Red Cross Society was the work of
Mrs. Small, through which 1-7,500 lira was sent to Italy in the first
few months. For thisrcwork this indefatigable Toronto worker re-
ceived letters of recognition from the Minister of Foreign Affairs in
Italy. Mrs. Small was President of this Society for three years and
Hon. President of the Italian Patriotic Society, her knowledge and
facile use of the Italian language making her of great use to these
Mother of “Irish” Battalion
Another channel in which Mrs. Small did exceptional service was
in connection with the 208th Irish Battalion, which she “mothered”
from the time they were started until they went overseas, and for
which she raised $25,000. To this work she gave almost her entire
time, having an office down town to facilitate her various activities in
Other Patriotic Service
She also raised money for different patriotic interests through
lectures given in different parts of the country, and with the assistance
of various committees raised $1 5,400 for Patriotic and Red Cross Funds
in ten campaigns in which she took part, and sold $40,000 of Victory
Bonds. She is now President of the Women’s Auxiliary of the Great
War Veterans, Central Branch, Toronto, and Honorary Regent of the
War Veterans’ Chapter in Hamilton. In the first year of the war
she had a Milk and Bread Fund, supplying 400 families with money
raised through private donations and entertainments. As Regent of
Sir Henry Pellatt Chapter, I.O.D.E., Mrs. Small has to her credit a
fair representation of the activities reported through the Municipal
TORONTO COUNCIL OF WOMEN
Mrs. A. M. Huestis, President
T HE Toronto Council of Women, of which Mrs. A. M. Huestis
is President, is composed of a federation of seventy-two societies,
every one of which in addition to regular activities has done
“war work” of one kind or another, the total amount handled an-
nually amounting to thousands of dollars.
The President has formally represented the Council in every
patriotic campaign since the work began, and together with the
members has shared the responsibilities.
The Executive directly distributed all posters and cards for the
National Service Board. It did not take a war to make the Council
patriotic, its work for twenty-five years being along those lines.
Mrs. A. M. Huestis
T HE Emergency Work-room of the Patriotic League was in charge
of Mrs. H. D. Warren, which got its employees through the In-
dustrial Employment Bureau opened by the organization.
Through this avenue many women were placed both in the city and
country. The total number of registrations until the Bureau was taken
over by the Government was 6,127, the number placed 1,684, °f which
481 were out of town. Day’s work through the work-rooms were 20,903
and work through the knitting department to be taken home 259.
A work-room for unemployables who could not be left to starve was
filled to capacity for many months, the simplest work being found for
them. The making of rag dolls was a feature of the Emergency work,
many being sold in different parts of Canada, and in New York,
Boston and different parts of the States. In connection with the
knitting-rooms of the Patriotic League there were two departments,
one in charge of Mrs. Lewis and the other under the direction of Mrs.
Mrs. Arthur Van Koughnet
Mrs. H. D. Warren
Apart from her connection with the League, Mrs. Warren has
from the very beginning of the need for service spent herself in many
directions; and by the noble way in which she continued her work
under the trying sorrow that came to her early in the war in the loss
of her son overseas, proved an inspiration and example for other
women, thousands of whom have since had the same sad experience.
Mrs. Warren gave a large room at her home, “Red Gables,” where
work has been carried on continuously. She also gave the Officers’
Hospital on Jarvis Street, and has helped in almost every movement
launched for war service. Mrs. Warren has been decorated with the
insignia of a Lady of Grace of St. John of Jerusalem, an honor which
she bears with the modesty that distinguishes her whole life-work.
SOLDIERS’ COMFORTS DEPARTMENT
ytMONG the women who have been on duty without relief
jT\ guard since the first blast of the bugle sounded the call “to
arms,” is Mrs. Arthur Van Koughnet, who has applied herself
to many things which she found at hand to do, and to many others
that found her for their doing. As Convener of the Soldiers’ Comforts
Department of the Patriotic League, “Comforts” in the shape of
shirts, socks, service shirts, slippers, towels, pillows, sheets, bags,
cigarettes, hot-water bottles, surgical-dressings, musical instruments,
games, toilet articles, and multitudes of other articles for the comfort
of the men here and overseas have passed through her hands, the
total amounting to 328,169 articles valued at $338,448.00.
TORONTO RED CROSS
Women Spare Neither Time Nor Money
T HE Toronto Red Cross — which is a branch of the Canadian
Red Cross — with headquarters at 88 King Street West, has been
in operation almost since the first call to arms sounded through
the land. Its principal mission has been to supply needs and com-
forts to the men in the Hospitals, and most heartily and systematically
has the work been carried out.
The material has been supplied through various channels, largely
through circles of which there are now three hundred in Toronto,
many attached to various church organizations and others to various
groups of women working in different parts of the city. A feature of
the work is, that every circle finances itself, so that when the supplies
come in they are altogether unencumbered and a free gift from the
women. Through the instructions issued by the “War Work,” which
is published quarterly by the Canadian Red Cross, the articles made
are turned out according to directions which are carefully followed, and
the work of the women may be said to be standardized and exquisitely
finished. Some of the circles work almost continuously, others having
special days of the week upon which to assemble for sewing and
4,491,627 Articles Shipped
To imagine the bulk and number of articles that have passed
through the hands of the workers at 88 King Street West, seems almost
an impossibility. Their bulk was many tons and they numbered
4,491,627 articles. The supplies included thousands of pairs of
socks, bed-linen, pyjamas, bandages, warm comfortable dressing-
gowns and jackets, property-bags, bandages, and scores of other
much appreciated articles. The value of money and material collected
from the beginning by the Toronto Red Cross amounts to $545,517.57
at the date of report — Feb. 18th. Headquarters have sent out
21,000 letters and cards of acknowledgment, and 25,150 bulletins,
copies of “War Work” and patterns.
Xmas Cheer in Trenches
Another most interesting part of the work was the Christmas
Cheer sent annually to the boys in the Hospitals overseas. Every
season since the men and boys of Toronto crossed the Atlantic they
have been remembered, the Christmas of 1917 seeing no less than
1,100 of the most beautiful and generous Christmas stockings piled
up to greet the men at Christmas-tide. So generous was this last
response that it was made possible to give a special treat to the
men at the Base Hospital and to the convalescents at the Exhibition
Mrs. R. Stearns-Hicks
The work at headquarters has been all superintended by Mrs.
R. Stearns-Hicks, who took over the honorary office at the beginning
and has since been one of the most devoted of war-workers, giving her
day’s attention and labor and often her night’s thought to the interest
of the things that go to guard and comfort our sick soldiers.
Toronto’s total collection for the British Red Cross since the
beginning of the war is 12,123,716.00.
HAS WORKED NATIONALLY
Mrs. Plumptre’s Activities
T HERE have been few if any women who have stuck closer to
patriotic service than Mrs. Plumptre, but as a large portion of
her time and talents have been given to the Canadian Red Cross,
results may not be given in figures as the offering of Toronto alone.
Mrs. Plumptre has convened the Women’s Committee of the British
Red Cross Campaigns, and in the interests of the cause toured Western
Canada. A keen observer of men and things, her advice and exec-
utive ability have been of great value to many undertakings. As a
logical and interesting speaker she has often been called upon to
represent various interests, her addresses being always entertaining
and informing. Mrs. Plumptre gives almost daily personal attention
to the work at the headquarters of the Canadian Red Cross.
UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL SUPPLY
Lady Falconer Directs Work
T HIS group of women workers, of which Lady Falconer is the
President, began work in April, 1915, for the purpose of equipping
No. 4 General Hospital. In three months the equipment of
bed linen, surgical and other supplies was complete. Since then the
work has gone on for the Canadian Red Cross, a certain proportion
of the socks being sent to the Canadian Field Comforts Commission.
The supplies are packed in cases ready for overseas shipment, and
consist of sheets, pillow cases, towels, surgical shirts, bed-jackets,
bed-socks, dressing-gowns, pyjamas, shirts, socks, personal property
bags, and other useful and necessary articles. Towels numbering
42,005, socks 22,211, pyjamas 18,769, and surgical shirts 14,516,
have been despatched in 2,146 cases and 16 bales, under the convener-
ship of Mrs. Hilda Kenrick.
MUNICIPAL CHAPTER, I.O.D.E.
Hundreds of Women Give Their Services
S OME idea of the colossal work of the Imperial Order Daughters
of the Empire in Toronto, may be gleaned from the following
figures, which, however, only cover the activities to March, 1918.
From the beginning of patriotic service until that date the Order in
Toronto has sent 700,000 articles to the Red Cross, 75,000 pairs
of socks to Red Cross and overseas, 40 layettes containing 1,500
articles of clothing to soldiers’ wives in Toronto, canned fruit, tobacco,
cigarettes, maple sugar, maple syrup, chewing-gum in unlimited
quantities to the Military Convalescent Homes and Hospitals in
England and France; gave a Drum and Bugle Band to the 35th
The Municipal Chapter, I.O.D.E., also equipped the Gymnasium
at Exhibition Camp for the first Battalions that were quartered there.
Cots were given, and wards in Military Hospitals and Base Hospitals,
also the Sun-room at Davisville Hospital, were furnished. Cots were
supplied to the Duchess of Connaught Hospital at Cliveden and to
the Hospital at Shorncliffe. Six Ambulances to be used in France
and Toronto were among the gifts from the I.O.D.E. Another
branch of the work was that of visiting the dependents of soldiers,
for the Toronto and York County Patriotic Fund, ten thousand
families being on the list in January, 1917, though the number has
Other Patriotic Work
In addition to strictly war work the I.O.D.E. of Toronto have
supported 10 cots in the “Preventorium,” where children predisposed
to tubercular diseases are assisted to perfect health. A thousand
baskets of Christmas Cheer is provided annually for poor children.
Through the efforts of the Westminster Chapter the beautiful gates
at the High Park Boulevard entrance to High Park were completed.
Money raised for all purposes from 1914 to 1917 totalled $261,-
196.91. This was distributed amongst the Canadian Red Cross,
British Red Cross, Patriotic Fund, Prisoners of War Fund, Belgian
Fund, French Relief Fund, Maple Leaf Club in London, England,
Canadian Navy League, Great War Veterans’ Club, Preventorium and
other Homes for children. In addition, War appeals of many kinds
were more or less assisted, the summary being highly creditable
to the patriotism of the members and to the executive ability of the
President, Mrs. R. S. Wilson, and to her assistants, Mrs. Angus
MacMurchy the Treasurer and Miss Elizabeth C. Dixon the Secretary,
for upon these ladies devolved a great deal of the responsibility and
real hard work of the organization.
THE BELGIAN RELIEF COMMITTEE
A Splendid Work Done
T HE Belgian Relief Committee is a development of the Women’s
Patriotic League, and under its chairman, Mrs. Arthur Pepler,
has done continuous work since its institution shortly after war
conditions had begun, October 14th, 1914, being the date of its organ-
ization. Its headquarters are at 88 King Street West, and here the
business of the Committee goes on daily in just the same systematic
manner as if it were a large commercial concern in which the staff
were paid workers instead of being as they are — volunteers doing their
“ bit” for the cause.
The primary object of the Belgian Relief was to despatch clothing
and supplies to Belgium as quickly as possible, and so expeditiously
was the first call answered that through many channels of publicity
12^2 tons of clothing and supplies were gathered and shipped to a
relief ship in Halifax in four days.
Since then cash has been collected up to date, Feb. 15th, 1918,
amounting to $132, 582.1 1. The greater part of this has been expended
on wheat and other foodstuffs. A few of the methods used to raise
this amount were a Tag Day, through which $24,519.72 were raised;
distribution of 18,000 circulars in Toronto; distribution of Christmas
envelopes by Boy Scouts and mail, resulting in $10,187.32; Easter egg
Mrs. Arthur Pepler
posters, $1,853. 27; Special Sunday School appeal, $1,295.50; Children’s
Milk Fund, largely due to the initiative of Mrs. Littlejohn, $1,500;
concerts, lectures, golf tournaments; advertising in 50 Ontario papers
and circulation of 120,000 leaflets — results not yet ascertained.
Relief to Belgian Canal Boat Fund
Especially interesting is the help given the Belgian Canal Boat
Fund, a work taken over by a Toronto woman, Mrs. Agar Adamson,
who has been assisted overseas by two other women from Toronto,
Mrs. Innis-Taylor, who is still with the work, and Miss Margaret
Saunders, a journalist who was wounded by a bomb and had to with-
draw her physical assistance though not her interest.
The principal effort of these ladies was for the succor of Belgian
children, the nuns who taught them in the schools, and refugees
generally. Through the Belgian Relief of Toronto from 400 to 1,000
children and 300 refugee families have been fed and clothed during the
past two and a half years. The total value of clothing and supplies
sent being $215,439.25. This clothing came from 453 places in Ontario
outside of those sent from Toronto citizens, but it was all handled,
packed and sorted by the staff at the Belgian Relief of Toronto. The
Women’s Institutes have been most generous, especially those in the
counties nearest the city, also many patriotic and church circles,
organizations such as the I.O.D.E., U.E. Loyalists, private sewing
circles and individuals.
A unique feature of Belgian Relief in Toronto is that its mainten-
ance, such as printing, postage, stationery, telephone, have been met
by the twenty-nine members of the Committee and their friends, also
the entire work of administration has been carried out by voluntary
effort. The first Hon. Treas. was Mrs. H. C. Rae, her successor being
Miss Isabella L. George. The Hon. Treasurer of the Maintenance
Fund is Mrs. C. S. Laidlaw; Hon. Secretaries, Miss Constance B.
Laing and Miss Mabel Cory.
Mrs. Arthur Pepler (Chairwoman); Miss C. B. Laing, Miss M.
Cory, Hon. Secretaries; Mrs. C. S. Laidlaw, Treasurer of Maintenance
Fund; Mrs. M. Alexander, Mrs. Arthur Barnard, Mrs. E. H. Bickford,
Mrs. R. C. Brown, Mrs. B. E. Bull, Mrs. C. E. Burden, Mrs. T.
Brough, Mrs. W. H. Cawthra, Mrs. R. J. Christie, Mrs. Lionel Clarke,
Mrs. R. Connable, Mrs. Ganong, Mrs. Hanning, Miss W. Hoskin,
Mrs. A. Johnson, Madame Ledoux, Miss H. Leys, Miss Lizars,
Mrs. H. C. Rae, Mrs. Campbell Reaves, Mrs. Robert F. Scott, Mrs.
S. H. Thompson,' Mrs. Van Der Linde, Mrs. B. P. Watson, Mrs.
F. C. Williams.
WORK OF SECOURS NATIONAL
Pledged to Rebuild Vimy
T O help the people in the devastated areas of France is the work
of the Secours National, with headquarters at 14 King Street
West. By means of special appeals, such as French Flag Day
and various other devices, coupled with an infinity of hard work, the
organization, of which Mrs. William Beardmore is chairman of the
Women’s Committee, has been able to send to France cash amounting
to 156,628.39; foodstuffs valued at $10,575.16; socks (28,573 pairs)
valued at $21,429.75; supplies such as clothing, bedding, boots,
flannel, amounting to $160,810; Red Cross and Hospital supplies
valued at $52,100; 12 motor cars, valued at $5,581; and a portable
Mrs. William Beardmore
house worth $100. The Society is now working enthusiastically for the
rehabilitation of the historic town of Vimy, which they hope through
the generosity of Canadians everywhere to completely reinstate, as
far as living comforts make this possible.
Officers and Executive
Patron — H.R.H. The Duke of Connaught.
Honorary President — His Honor Colonel Sir John S. Hendrie,
President — The Honorable Sir Glenholme Falconbridge, C.J., K.B.
Honorary Treasurer — W. R. Johnston, Esq.
Honorary Secretary — John M. Lyle, Esq.
Chairman Ladies’ Executive — Mrs. W. W. Beardmore.
Vice-Chairman Ladies’ Executive — Miss Enid Hendrie.
Secretary Ladies’ Executive — Miss Helen Cattanach.
Treasurer Ladies’ Executive — Mrs. K. C. Mcllwraith.
Chairman Sewing Committee — Mrs. Grayson Smith.
Chairman French Red Cross Committee — Miss Dorothy Walker.
Chairman Relief Committee — Mrs. P Gilbert.
Chairman Ways and Means Committee — Mrs. W. W. Beardmore.
Chairman Sock Committee — Madame Rochereau De La Sabliere.
Chairman Town Adoption Committee — Mrs. Trumbull Warren.
Chairman House Committee — Mrs. G. G. Adams.
Lady White, Mrs. Sidney Small, Mrs. N. W. Rowell, Mrs. J. B.
MacLean, Mrs. Strachan Johnston, Mrs. G. Plunkett Magann.
Aid War-Ridden People
T O aid the Serbians in their dire necessities of flight from home
and its accompaniment of famine, together with all the other
excruciating suffering that came to the Serbian people as the
result of war, the Canadian Serbian Relief was formed with head-
quarters in Toronto. At the beginning it was women who interested
themselves in the movement, and clothes and other supplies were
sent overseas. Latterly assistance has been confined to money con-
tributions. The sum of $54,185.47, prior to January, 1918, passed
through the Toronto offices. In 1916 the work was reorganized and
there are now two women on the Board, Mrs. L. A. Hamilton, First
Vice-President, and Miss Naomi Boulton, Corresponding Secretary.
THE FRANCO-BRITISH SOCIETY
Do Their “Bit” for France
T HIS Society had its origin in a group of women who thought
they would like to do their “bit” for suffering France. Mde.
Malaval was in Europe at the beginning of the war and returned
to Canada, thinking she could serve her country better here than there.
She with Mrs. William Rose, Mrs. Squair and the Misses Beatrice
Lmbree and Neelands, got together for the little organization which has
since done such good service. Their first care were the Belgian refu-
gees, then the blind soldiers, and suffering France generally.
They have succeeded in raising about $2,000 a year — about
$8,000 in all having been sent to the Mayor of Nantes for distribu-
tion. The staff of the University, particularly Prof. Keys and Prof.
Kittredge, helped through the lectures given by several of its mem-
bers and by the aid they gave in the presentation of French plays,
by which methods most of the money was raised, private contributions
also forming a means of revenue. Prof. Squair is President, Sir
William Mulock, Hon. President, and Mrs. Plunkett Magann, Vice-
NURSES FROM TORONTO HOSPITALS
Hundreds Serving Overseas
T ORONTO Nurses are represented overseas and were among
the first to be organized for service. The Toronto General
Hospital sent 85, and 25 are in Military work at home; St.
Michael’s has 17 overseas and 9 in different Military Hospitals in
Toronto and Hamilton; the Western Hospital has 22 overseas and 17
at home, and Grace Hospital sent 35 overseas and has 15 in Toronto.
One of the nurses from the Western Hospital — Miss Davis — gave her
life, dying in England from an illness contracted in Saloniki. War
reports have chronicled the splendid work these fine women and
girls have done; but it is the men who in the Hospitals have come
under their ministration who are their best recorders, and from them
no praise is adequate for the work of Toronto nurses.
WOMEN’S EMERGENCY CORPS
Inaugurated Women’s Work in Munition Plants
A S its name implies, the Women’s Emergency Corps was organized
r\ to do anything that might arise and required doing in the
^ - interests of the country. Formed in January, 1916, with
Mrs. Willoughby Cummings as President, Vice-Presidents Mrs.
Adam Ballantyne and Mrs. R. J. W. Barker, Treasurer Mrs. W. E.
Groves and Secretary Miss Florence Boland, the Corps concentrated
on the registration of women for the purpose of relieving men to go
to the Front. To this side of the activities Mrs. Austin Hutchinson
gave a great deal of* time and attention, having charge of all the clerical
work and much of the interviewing of factories and firms that followed.
The City was divided into seven districts, to each of which officers
were appointed and an educational campaign launched for the pur-
pose of inducing wives and mothers to relinquish their men willingly.
Mrs. Willoughby Cummings
Speakers were sent to many Red Cross and other meetings and re-
cruiting assisted through this medium. A Bureau was also established
for the registration of women and the things they could do in taking
the place of men. Through the Emergency Corps women were
first taken into the munition plants.
The Corps continued its services until their activities were taken
over by Dr. Riddell in the name of the Government, when the Ontario
Government Bureau was established.
WOMEN’S CONSERVATIVE CLUB
Send “Goodies’’ to the Boys
T HIS is another organization that has worked in season and out
of season for patriotism. The things they have done to raise
money and the various comforts they have sent overseas would
make a book in themselves. Their total is 1,445,513 articles,
besides 35 barrels of jam, 800 pounds of lump sugar, and specially
addressed boxes and packages of Christmas cheer. Mrs. Van Kough-
net is the President.
MILITARY HOSPITALS COMMISSION WORK
More of Mrs. Van Koughnet
I T is a Toronto woman, too, who has charge of the work in con-
nection with Comforts for Military Districts 1, 2 and 3. Mrs.
Van Koughnet as Hon. Superintendent, with offices at 71 King
Street West, has had charge of comforts to the value of $13,899.00.
CONSERVATION OF RESOURCES
Toronto Newspaper Women Active
ANOTHER channel through which patriotism has and is expend-
/"% ing itself is the women’s work in the Government enterprise
for the Conservation of Resources. This teaches and incul-
cates Food Production and Conservation together with general
economy in the interest of the country. Mrs. L. A. Gurnett, formerly
of the “Mail and Empire” of Toronto, is in charge of the women’s
work of the Province.
Miss I. M. Ross, formerly of the “News,” is now identified with
the Food Control Office at Ottawa.
THE THRIFT COMMITTEE
U NDER its energetic chairman, Mrs. Losemore, the Thrift
Committee carried on a successful campaign, principally as
an educative factor to teach economy to the housewives and
citizens generally. It was very successful in the work of its Garden
Committee, through the leadership of Mrs. J. M. Tyrrel and Mrs.
J. M. West; its Savings Committee under Mrs. H. D. Warren; the
distribution of the Food Pledge Cards and its general principles of
conservation. Mrs. L. A. Gurnett was able to give the work much
assistance through her knowledge of food conditions. Miss Church
was Secretary of the organization.
WAR RELIEF AUXILIARY
T HE War Relief Auxiliary, formerly called the Suffragist War
Auxiliary, was organized in Nov., 1916, to give aid in any war
work that seemed necessary. The needs were met through
various committees, the names of which show their function: The
Recruiting Committee, Registration Committee, Camp Kapuskasing
Mrs. A. B. Ormsby
Committee, Blind Aid Committee, Brittany Hospital Committee,
Northern Fire Sufferers’ Committee and the Foresters’ Battalion
Committee. Some of these committees are now dissolved, having
accomplished the specific work for which they were formed. The
Serbian Committee raised about $4,000, also large supplies of clothing.
The Blind Aid sent about $2,300 to the National Library for the
Blind. The Brittany Committee have forwarded $3,400 to the Brit-
tany Hospitals and 200 cases of Hospital supplies. Mrs. A. B.
Ormsby, President, has been leader in this work.
TORONTO WOMEN’S LIBERAL ASSOCIATION
N ONE have worked more assiduously than the members of the
Liberal Women’s organization, who through their various
circles did splendid things in the way of piling up thousands
of various articles for the comfort of the men overseas and for those
on this side of the ocean. One of the most important things they have
done is that in connection with furnishing wards in hospitals and
other attentions for the comfort of sick soldiers. The President is
Mrs. G. S. Deeks.
SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS
W HAT Toronto schools and teachers have done would fill
a good-sized volume. One of the teachers some time ago
attempted to make a summary but gave it up, as any record
would be incomplete. Here a very general statement may be made.
When it is said they have collected and distributed many thousands
of dollars and prepared and distributed other thousands in materials
and supplies for Red Cross and soldiers generally, besides attending
to the needs of the civil portion of our own community, the statement
may be accepted in as large a way as the mind may see fit, for there
is scarcely any limit to the things done. From University to Kinder-
garten all have done their share and have done it nobly.
AN ENTHUSIASTIC RECRUITER
Mrs. L. A. Hamilton a Worker
M RS. L. A. HAMILTON was one of the first to jump into the
breach to bring success to the Empire and her Allies. Like
others among the most ardent workers, her efforts in many
directions have extended outside of Toronto and may not be listed
here. One direction, however, in which she was conspicuous and to
which she gave much strenuous work and time was when she did
personal recruiting, speaking throughout the whole winter season in
Toronto and in the country districts to enthuse men to answer the call
to the colours.
MRS. F. H. TORRINGTON
President N. C. of W.
A NOTHER woman who has been associated with much of the
interest evoked by war conditions, is Mrs. Torrington, President
of the National Council of Women, but while she has been
ready to respond to any call that might reach out to her— and these
were many — it was for the most part in a national or provincial way
that she was able to give official assistance. This being so, while
we may not tabulate and claim for ourselves the many enterprises
of the National Council of Women and other large organizations, we
may note Mrs. Torrington as a Toronto woman whose influence in
war work has reached out through her societies from coast to coast
of the Dominion.
DR. MARGARET PATTERSON
Honored by King Edward
D R. MARGARET PATTERSON was already an experienced
worker at the outbreak of the war, having spent ten years in
India, where she was one of the leaders in combating the
Bubonic Plague, for which service she was decorated at the time of the
coronation of King Edward.
At the formation meeting of the Patriotic League, Dr. Patterson
was appointed Convener of Red Cross work, and during the first year
gave three hundred addresses to various groups of women. She
organized “First Aid” and “Home Nursing” classes, in which a thou-
sand women have received training, and formed the “College Volun-
tary Aid Division,” of whose members forty are now overseas on
active service and thirty are giving daily aid in the Hospitals and
Convalescent Hospitals here. The roll-call has two hundred and
Dr. Patterson has devoted all fees from classes to patriotic work.
T HIS record of Women’s War Work is by no means complete,
and but touches on the women who by their office were at the
head of organizations. The thousands who have given of
their nights and days, together with financial assistance, may not be
mentioned — the Women’s Institutes who did colossal work, the
Women’s Christian Temperance Union, the Battalion Auxiliaries
who have worked incessantly for their men, the Women’s Musical
Club who raise thousands by their concerts, Hebrew Women’s Associ-
ations, the various Church circles, the Catholic Ladies’ Literary
Association who were among the first to work for the Mrs. Adamson’s
Belgian Children, Rosary Hall Association, Rosary Hall Guild, the
Colleges and Convents that have opened their houses for Red Cross
and other activities along patriotic lines, the Women’s Canadian
Club, the Women’s Press Club, the Heliconian Club, the Women’s
Volunteer Corps, the Association for the Welfare of the Blind, with
Mrs. Fred. Leach as president, which has done so much for the blind,
and incidentally for blind soldiers; Mrs. Frank Ball, who has done
much in a special way for the entertainment of the men in the
hospitals and from overseas; the Alumnae of the various Colleges,
Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild, Women’s Historical Society — these
and scores of others have worked incessantly and well, and their
example should be an awakener for the many who unfortunately are
not yet aroused to the fact that it is their place and duty to have a
share and do their part in what is Toronto’s splendid showing in doing
her “bit” for the cause of democracy and the liberty of civilization.